Start by marking “The Autism Book: What Every Parent Needs to Know About Early Detection, Treatment, Recovery, and Prevention” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
With clarity and compassion, Dr. Robert Sears guides the reader through the maze of autism, explaining what precautions parents can take to decrease their baby's risk, how to detect autism at the earliest possible age, and how to proceed once a diagnosis has been made. The book provides parents with a simple and clear understanding of the biomedical treatment approach that ...more
Published April 2nd 2010 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Autism Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Autism Book

AH
May 03, 2010 AH rated it liked it
As a parent with children in the autism spectrum, I was excited to win this book on Goodreads.

The Autism book is an extensive source of information on autism. Detection, treatment, and prevention of autism is covered in fine detail. There is an expansive list of autism resources at the end of the book.

I did have a few concerns with this book. Firstly, the number of medical tests to assess autism. From what I understand, and from personal experience, there is no medical test for autism. Orderin
Bookfanatic
Jan 20, 2014 Bookfanatic rated it really liked it
An amazing resource for parents and relatives! This book, written by a board certified pediatrician, is easy to understand. Dr. Sears doesn't use too much technical jargon. The chapters are organized well with up to date information. Dr. Sears backs up his statements with citations to scientific journals. He's not just asking you to believe his words. Simple dietary changes and the addition of various supplements can make a big difference in the symptoms of autism. Dr. Sears explains what those ...more
Kim Hicks
Aug 15, 2010 Kim Hicks rated it really liked it
This is a great book! It is more detailed then the average person wants to know, but discusses a little amount about a ton of topics. Anyone with a loved one with Autism should at least skim it to have a full understanding of what treatments are available, and why to do them. It gives an excellent overview about biomedical treatments, behavioral therapies, and dietary intervention. It is a must have reference book for any parent of a child with Autism. There is hope, and we can do so much!
I love
Carol
Apr 26, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I love, love, love the whole Sears family/franchise of pediatricians. I cherish almost any advice that comes from pen of a Sears. However. I have to admit I was disappointed in the cursory way Robert Sears discussed the rampant rumor that vaccines cause autism. He acknowledged the theory and then...just kind of left it. In my opinion, any parent who wanted to believe would most likely think he just endorsed it. He doesn't, but he doesn't go to great lengths not to, either. Other ...more
Amanda Skinner
Nov 08, 2010 Amanda Skinner rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this on the giveaway page. I am intrigued and excited to learn more about Autism.
**********************

This is a very useful introduction to Autism. It gives clear information on every aspect of the disease. It is perfect for parents looking for information to help their children or for people who are looking for a clearer understanding of Autism.
Barbara
Jul 09, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
having an autistic child i found this book very interesting but also very involved with dietary and medical information. dr.sears definitely explores in great detail many aspects of autism and this is not a light read by any means .anyone with a child that has autism has to evaluate all the information they can and combine many treatments that will suit only the individual child . i found the book well worth reading.
Brenda Lory
Aug 24, 2013 Brenda Lory rated it really liked it
I read this book about a month before receiving my daughter's diagnosis... it confirmed my suspicions about her odd behaviors before I was able to have her professionally assessed. The tools provided and the thorough outlining of the biomedical approach were immensely helpful; I was compelled to immediately remove dairy from her diet as a starting point and the results were astonishing. I would like to re-read this soon.
Elise
Apr 11, 2015 Elise marked it as chose-not-to-finish
I chose not to finish this book right now. It is a very specific list of suggestions for treatments that may help autistic children/teenagers. I was reading this to learn about my brother's autism, so I chose not to finish the suggestions list since it is not my child involved. I did find the beginning part helpful in giving me some simple ideas that might help strengthen my daughter against autism.
Ruth
Apr 04, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it
It is well-written, clear and easy to understand and has an extensive reference list. He covers symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. He also talks about the theory that the autism rate is linked to vaccines. If you have an autistic child and are looking for a book supportive of methods not used by mainstream medicine, I think you'll be happy with this book.
Steph
Jun 26, 2010 Steph rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Good book with lots of info - I think I would have been into it a little more if I had a child with autism or knew someone close to me that did. There are a lot of suggestions and help in this book for those that are dealing with autistic children right now. This is definitely an issue that I wish we knew more about and had more answers to.
Melissa
Jun 13, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this on first reads.

Very interesting. As someone who has several friends and a family member who has autism, it was interesting to see what this book had to say.
Erin
Jun 13, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Dr Sears always explains things in a clear, concise manner, introducing new and interesting concepts to readers, particularly the biomedical approach to treating autism.
Christy Stewart
Apr 22, 2010 Christy Stewart rated it it was amazing
Easily read and formatted for quick cross checking as well as in depth reading.

Most importantly, Dr Sears approaches autism from all angles of treatment and causes.
cliffisimus
Dec 29, 2013 cliffisimus rated it really liked it
Great reference source on autism.
Ruth
May 23, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
excellent 1st book for parents of a child who may have autism. Reassuring , informative and one you'd want to own.
Natalie
Sep 01, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting and illuminating read. I thought it would be helpful for both parents and professionals.
Christie
May 01, 2010 Christie marked it as to-read
I received this book from the book drawing held by Goodreads. It is currently on my to read list.
Bj
Mar 30, 2010 Bj rated it liked it
Shelves:
Very informative and useful book for all.
Melissa
Aug 28, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
An excellent reference book!
Arto
Arto rated it did not like it
May 23, 2016
Jeanette Burda
Jeanette Burda marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
MOoda
MOoda marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Paul Jones
Paul Jones rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
Alex Humeniuc
Alex Humeniuc marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Brett Miller
Brett Miller rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
John Pintar
John Pintar rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert W. Sears, MD, is a father of three, board-certified in Pediatrics, and a co-author in the Sears Parenting Library. "Dr. Bob", as he likes to be called by his little patients, earned his medical degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine in 1995. He did his pediatric internship and residency at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, finishing in 1998. Dr. Bob is the proud father of three a ...more
More about Robert W. Sears...