Cholesterol Down: 10 Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol in 4 Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Take Control of Your Cholesterol— Without Drugs

If you are one of the nearly 100 million Americans struggling with high cholesterol, then Dr. Janet Brill offers you a revolutionary new plan for taking control of your health—without the risks of statin drugs. With Dr. Brill’s breakthrough Cholesterol Down Plan, you simply add nine “miracle foods” to your regular diet and thi...more
Published January 21st 2009 by Harmony (first published December 26th 2006)

Amy
Well, due to hereditary issues, I've been on prescription drugs for cholesterol for many years, with varying effectiveness. Lately I've had advice from my doctor to make whatever changes I'm able to get the numbers down again, and this book came highly recommended.

Nine of the ten changes are dietary and the tenth is walking for exercise. She offers a checklist with daily amounts of each sort of dietary change in order to keep track of daily progress, since it's a somewhat complex regimen-- but...more
Leslie
At my last checkup, my doctor told me that my cholesterol was a little high. Nothing to worry about yet as my HDL was very good, but I should try to make a few dietary changes to lower the bad numbers as they were on the high end of normal. I did not want to take drugs as all drugs have unpleasant side effects.

Dr. Brill's book explains how to lower cholesterol by adding foods, plant sterols, soy, garlic, oatmeal, apples, beans, almonds, flaxseed and daily walking for exercise. This book is easy...more
Laurie
Brill presents a solid program for lowering your total and LDL cholesterol without using medications. All but one step are dietary: eat oats, eat almonds, eat flaxseed, beans, apples, psyllium, margarine made with phytosterols, soy protein and garlic. Add exercise, and you have the program. She gives the amounts you need, and in one appendix, some recipes for using these foods. She also presents meal plans, exercise plans, and a heart disease risk calculator, and tells you what other health bene...more
Gerald Kinro
This guide to lowering your seral cholesterol is uses simple and safe means. In the first half, Brill explains the science of cholesterol in simple terms. I found this section fascinating, but she points out that for those who do not wish to read this scientific introduction, the program really starts after. It is simple: Eating oatmeal, garlic, flax, psyllium, almonds, margerines with phytosterols, and apples. To this add regular exercise. Included are recipes to keep things varied. She gives e...more
Rebecca
Didn't think I'd have to read something like this at my age, but I'm glad I did. It is well researched and referenced, straight forward advice, and most importantly, lifestyle changes I can do! Looking forward to healthy lipid levels soon.
Marie Jackson
Great help!

Cholesterol down is one amazing book. My cholesterol was just on the verge of being high. My doctor clearly told if it doesn’t go down, I will have to start taking medicines. I hate the idea of taking these prescription drugs because once you start taking them, you can never quit. I searched online and bought this book. This book is so informative and helpful. I followed dietary suggestions and recipes given in the book and started doing moderate exercise. And the results are showing...more
Mitchell
Does a good job explaining how various systems in your body work together to affect your cholesterol levels. The author is great about citing and explaining the specific studies that all the recommendations are based on - this really helped me understand and evaluate the recommendations. Might be a bit too sciencey for some, but I reallly appreciated it.
Jen
Some very interesting chapters in this book, steps I'm definitely going to try. After all, the natural steps prescribed in the book can't actually harm me, so the worst that could happen is my LDL not being affected at all. Once I get my next lipid panel, I'll know whether or not reading Cholesterol Down was a total waste of time or not.
Amy
Well written book. A lot of studies referenced, but the information makes sense. I don't know how well I would be able to follow this, being a person who doesn't cook much, but will try to the best of my ability because it is a good natural and healthy way to approach lowering cholesterol.
Elizabeth
I just found out I need to lower my cholesterol and want to do it through eating better and exercising. The book is pretty good, easy to read. I skipped over some of the technical explanations. The only 2 steps I don't agree with are eating margarine or soy products.
Yaffa Shira
easy, and realistically possible diet, skipped much of the scientific parts, loved the practical suggestions, personal stories, and recipes!! now i just need a personal chef to come and make those meals for me!! Although Mike is doing great!!
Babs
A few chapters covering the science followed by ten chapters on the what you should be eating or doing to lower cholesterol. Straight forward and worth gleaning what you can from the material.
Lynn Christiansen
I'm not adding this to my books read list for 2013, because I mostly skimmed it. I do like the steps, and have started incorporating them into my day. I'll see if it works in four weeks.
Molly Mattias
I think it was very readable and had some great ideas on how to bring cholesterol levels down naturally. I will know for sure when I get mine retested.
John Katsigiorgis
This book was helpful in identifying foods I can eat to bring my cholesterol.
Kristen
Have high cholesterol? This is great and it works.
Amy
Very approachable book about lowering cholesterol.
Doug Burnette
Doug Burnette marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Michelle Lynch
Michelle Lynch marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Blood Pressure Down: The 10-Step Plan to Lower Your Blood Pressure in 4 Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs Prevent a Second Heart Attack: 8 Foods, 8 Weeks to Reverse Heart Disease Cholesterol Down: Ten Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol in Four Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs