Start by marking “Cholesterol Down: 10 Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol in 4 Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs” as Want to Read:

Take Control of Your Cholesterol— Without Drugs

If you are one of the nearly 100 million Americans struggling with high cholesterol, then Dr. Janet Brill offers you a revolutionary new plan for taking control of your health—without the risks of statin drugs. With Dr. Brill’s breakthrough Cholesterol Down Plan, you simply add nine “miracle foods” to your regular diet and thi
Published January 21st 2009 by Harmony (first published December 26th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cholesterol Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cholesterol Down

Rebecca
Mar 12, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't think I'd have to read something like this at my age, but I'm glad I did. It is well researched and referenced, straight forward advice, and most importantly, lifestyle changes I can do! Looking forward to healthy lipid levels soon.
Arliegh Kovacs
This book of medical advice not only gives a simple and fairly easy to follow method to lower your cholesterol [if you adhere strictly to every step ... and are also careful to follow a low-fat, "heart healthy" diet in addition to those steps.] but cites research in the field and explains why/how each step works to lower cholesterol levels dramatically. The last part of the book includes a suggested menu as well as a number of recipes.
However, I thought the author played a little loose & fas
Laurie
Dec 01, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brill presents a solid program for lowering your total and LDL cholesterol without using medications. All but one step are dietary: eat oats, eat almonds, eat flaxseed, beans, apples, psyllium, margarine made with phytosterols, soy protein and garlic. Add exercise, and you have the program. She gives the amounts you need, and in one appendix, some recipes for using these foods. She also presents meal plans, exercise plans, and a heart disease risk calculator, and tells you what other health bene ...more
Leslie
May 07, 2009 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At my last checkup, my doctor told me that my cholesterol was a little high. Nothing to worry about yet as my HDL was very good, but I should try to make a few dietary changes to lower the bad numbers as they were on the high end of normal. I did not want to take drugs as all drugs have unpleasant side effects.

Dr. Brill's book explains how to lower cholesterol by adding foods, plant sterols, soy, garlic, oatmeal, apples, beans, almonds, flaxseed and daily walking for exercise. This book is easy
Amy
Mar 08, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
Well, due to hereditary issues, I've been on prescription drugs for cholesterol for many years, with varying effectiveness. Lately I've had advice from my doctor to make whatever changes I'm able to get the numbers down again, and this book came highly recommended.

Nine of the ten changes are dietary and the tenth is walking for exercise. She offers a checklist with daily amounts of each sort of dietary change in order to keep track of daily progress, since it's a somewhat complex regimen-- but
Gerald Kinro
Feb 22, 2012 Gerald Kinro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guide to lowering your seral cholesterol is uses simple and safe means. In the first half, Brill explains the science of cholesterol in simple terms. I found this section fascinating, but she points out that for those who do not wish to read this scientific introduction, the program really starts after. It is simple: Eating oatmeal, garlic, flax, psyllium, almonds, margerines with phytosterols, and apples. To this add regular exercise. Included are recipes to keep things varied. She gives e ...more
Marie Jackson
Nov 13, 2013 Marie Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great help!

Cholesterol down is one amazing book. My cholesterol was just on the verge of being high. My doctor clearly told if it doesn’t go down, I will have to start taking medicines. I hate the idea of taking these prescription drugs because once you start taking them, you can never quit. I searched online and bought this book. This book is so informative and helpful. I followed dietary suggestions and recipes given in the book and started doing moderate exercise. And the results are showing
Mitchell
Mar 30, 2011 Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does a good job explaining how various systems in your body work together to affect your cholesterol levels. The author is great about citing and explaining the specific studies that all the recommendations are based on - this really helped me understand and evaluate the recommendations. Might be a bit too sciencey for some, but I reallly appreciated it.
Jen
Jul 09, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting chapters in this book, steps I'm definitely going to try. After all, the natural steps prescribed in the book can't actually harm me, so the worst that could happen is my LDL not being affected at all. Once I get my next lipid panel, I'll know whether or not reading Cholesterol Down was a total waste of time or not.
Amy
Apr 21, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written book. A lot of studies referenced, but the information makes sense. I don't know how well I would be able to follow this, being a person who doesn't cook much, but will try to the best of my ability because it is a good natural and healthy way to approach lowering cholesterol.
Elizabeth
Sep 26, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I just found out I need to lower my cholesterol and want to do it through eating better and exercising. The book is pretty good, easy to read. I skipped over some of the technical explanations. The only 2 steps I don't agree with are eating margarine or soy products.
Yaffa Shira
Nov 08, 2010 Yaffa Shira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy, and realistically possible diet, skipped much of the scientific parts, loved the practical suggestions, personal stories, and recipes!! now i just need a personal chef to come and make those meals for me!! Although Mike is doing great!!
Babs
Mar 31, 2008 Babs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few chapters covering the science followed by ten chapters on the what you should be eating or doing to lower cholesterol. Straight forward and worth gleaning what you can from the material.
Kevin
Dec 03, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource...well documented studies.
Molly Mattias
Aug 20, 2013 Molly Mattias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was very readable and had some great ideas on how to bring cholesterol levels down naturally. I will know for sure when I get mine retested.
Lynn Christiansen
Oct 01, 2013 Lynn Christiansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not adding this to my books read list for 2013, because I mostly skimmed it. I do like the steps, and have started incorporating them into my day. I'll see if it works in four weeks.
Kenneth D. Gurley
Kenneth D. Gurley rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
claude carignan
claude carignan rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Marion
Marion rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2011
Mark Larson
Mark Larson rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Charlotte Powers
Charlotte Powers rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Earlene Bauer
Earlene Bauer rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Monica Pina
Monica Pina rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Theodore R
Theodore R rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Reanea
Reanea rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Vincent Schaefer
Vincent Schaefer rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook 2: Over 150 brand new great-tasting recipes that keep you lean!
  • The 30-Day Heart Tune-Up: A Breakthrough Medical Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
  • Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History
  • Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability
  • Strength Training for Women
  • 1 Samuel: Looking on the Heart (Focus on the Bible Commentaries)
  • Open Sources
  • Philosophy of Mathematics: Selected Readings
  • The Bipolar Workbook, First Edition: Tools for Controlling Your Mood Swings
  • The Bully at Work
  • Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day-By-Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder
  • From Fear to Freedom: Living as Sons and Daughters of God
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
  • Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty
  • The Joy of Pregnancy: The Complete, Candid, and Reassuring Companion for Parents-to-Be
  • The Germ Code
  • Christian History Made Easy
  • Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship v. 1 (Face to Face: Intimate Worship)