Eindeloos bewustzijn: een wetenschappelijke visie op de bijna-doodervaring

Eindeloos bewustzijn: een wetenschappelijke visie op de bijna-doodervaring

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Samenvatting van bestaande kennis over bijna-doodervaringen en aanzet tot het wetenschappelijk verklaren van het verschijnsel van non-lokaal bewustzijn waarbij de auteur aansluit bij elementen uit de kwantumfysica.
403 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eindeloos bewustzijn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eindeloos bewustzijn

Coli Barth
First of all, I have to stress the difficulty of finding a reliable source of non-biased information on a topic such as Near Death Experiences, which is a field full of spiritual gibberish and religious hacks. 'Consciousness Beyond Life' was a refreshing break in the tide of gibberish, and while it did not provide me with the final answer or explanation for NDE's, it provided enough information to base more educated questions of off.
The author delves into every possible explanation for NDE's, e...more
The major theme in this book was the scientific aspect of NDEs (near death experiences). It is difficult to find a scientifically based NDE book, but I have to say that Consciousness Beyond Life executed the scientific study of the NDE very well. While there aren't any characters, the book talks about many people's experiences, along with the author's personal experiences. One of the most fascinating facts I learned in this book was, "By high school, about a third of these children develop alcoh...more
Nell Grey
Aug 01, 2012 Nell Grey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The author is a cardiologist who structured meticulous research around his patients. I expected the whole book to detail this research and current scientific information re. the brain, but there's a short section dealing with NDEs in history, myth and religion too.

The central section is fairly scientific, with statistical information and the psychological after-effects of NDEs, long chapters detailing what happens in the brain when the heart suddenly stops, what we know about brain function and...more
Florio
Dec 01, 2010 Florio is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Pim van Lommel's work is not a biblical exegesis on the subject of life after death. Instead, the author -- a medical doctor -- offers empirical arguments for post-mortem existence. He examines the near-death experiences of patients who survived "fatal" heart attacks. (For those not familiar with the term "Near-Death Experiences" I suggest you start with Dr. Raymond Moody's seminal works Life After Life and Light Beyond.) I'm a new member and I've read only the first two chapters of Consciousnes...more
Steph
This book was astounding. Using scientific evidence, Dr. van Lommel explores the near death experience in a non-biased fashion. Statistical evidence that span multiple cultures and countries support his research. Several chapters are dedicated to the theories of quantum mechanics, which van Lommel theorizes can be used to explain the near death experience. Instead of answering questions about life after death, this book raises more questions that merit further research.
Johan Bordewijk
Wat een slecht, ontzettend slecht, boek.
Een cardioloog die zich op het gebied van de neuroloog begeeft is al dubieus, maar die dan ook nog uitspraken over kwamtummechanica gaat doen. En dan onthutsende lariekoek produceert.
En dat terwijl bijna-dood ervaringen heel interessant zijn.
Rachel Lindan
By far the most convincing book I have read on the varied notions of life after death/immortality/etc. Dr van Lommel has accomplished a real feat here. His evidence and reasoning is so utterly sound that he has no need to do anything but present it, well-written and speaking for itself.
Inge
Not as great as I expected.
Tyler
This is not the sort of book I often read. It wasn't something that I "couldn't put down" either. But it was good to read because it made me think in a way I am not accustomed to think.

I know the equivalent of an ice cube on top of the tip of the iceberg about quantum physics. But that ice cube makes me appreciate how mysterious science can be. Van Lommel does a good job connecting the dots between science and what most people would call a mystical experience. It occurs to me that nobody can re...more
_topo_
Cosa è la coscienza? possiamo dare molte risposte, a seconda che partiamo da un punto di vista filosofico, religioso, biologico, informatico, matematico, medico.

Questo libro dà una risposta a partire da quelle singolarità nella vita della coscienza che si chiamano NDE. Le NDE sono le esperienze delle persone ritornate da uno stato in cui il cervello era morto, e sono molto difficilmente spiegabili dalla scienza ufficiale. Secondo l'opinione corrente, è il cervello che produce la coscienza. La t...more
James A. Crews
Apr 01, 2014 James A. Crews rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NDE/Psi fans
This is easily one of the best books on the subject of conscious survival of bodily death, rivaled only by the works of Chris Carter (and, to an extent, Randi's Prize by Robert McLuhan). It's relentlessly scientific, but Dr. Lommel isn't afraid to delve into the philosophical to form new and convincing ideas regarding such phenomena. Required reading for those interested in the genre. Four a half stars!
Jane Rocks
Until I read this book I had no idea how many people have gone through a near death experience. Millions of people cross culturally and across all religions including those without religion tell a similar story of visiting another dimension when their heart had stopped. Because it cannot be explained scientifically it has been largely ignored until this book written by a Dutch cardiologist who has carried out long term, thorough and worldwide research into the phenomena. A truly fascinating read...more
Jamie Wilson-hull
Pim van Lommel's book is one of the most well written and documented books on Near Death Experiences thus far and likely one of the few that have medical fact as back-ups for the reasoning behind his points. It shares the experiences of many documented cases from many people who have been declared "clinically dead" and been resuscitated to recount some pretty convincing evidence that Life does not end when our bodies/brains are non-functioning/dead.

For anyone who is truly serious about wanting...more
Sally
The author, a cardiologist, is the moving force behind a very rigorous study of near-death experiences at Dutch hospitals published in The Lancet in 2001. Finding materialistic explanations inadequate, he has searched for other explanations, and this book tells about the results of the main studies on near-death experiences, why he finds current explanations wanting, and his own thoughts on why “consciousness, with memories and occasional perception, can be experienced during a period … when the...more
Deanna
This is probably the closest to a scientific exploration of NDEs as you'll get - so far, that is. Technology is expanding exponentially, but I don't know if that means we'll get much further into the understanding of death and NDEs. I appreciate that van Lommel sticks to the scientific side of this phenomenon, or as close as he can anyway, by discussing DMT, the chemical responsible for a lot of chemically induced hallucinations, and probably the chemical mostly responsible for NDE hallucination...more
Richard
A very good read where the author balances anecdotal evidence along with scientific evidence, the latter of which is presented in a way that the layman can [mostly] understand. It does get a bit bogged down with statistics and medical terminology part way through though. It has clearly been well researched and looks at both sides of the argument from believer and atheist perspectives.

Like any book of this genre, I feel it is important to balance healthy open mindedness with healthy skepticism, a...more
Edwin Wolbers
leuk boek, goede documentatie over BDE t/m hoofdstuk 10. Daarna komt hij met een zelfverzonnen verklaring die totale wetenschappelijk onderbouwing mist. Hij maakt uitstapjes naar QM en Biologie en die velden begrijpt hij helaas niet helemaal.

Ondanks dat, zie ik in dit boek wel bewijs dat ons bewustzijn geen product van de hersenen is. Wat het dan wel is, zullen we misschien nooit achter komen.
Petran
Hoewel het boek een zeer goede kennismaking biedt met het fenomeen van bijna-dood ervaringen, kunnen sommige uitspraken in het boek toch moeilijk wetenschappelijk genoemd worden. Op sommige punten zou het boek eerder onder het kopje 'spiritualiteit' kunnen vallen. Maar dat terzijde moet gezegd worden dat met name de hoofdstukken die een beschrijving geven van bijna-dood ervaringen zeer lezenswaardig zijn.
Marleen
Very good book written by a cardiologist and scientist. It make you think about the afterlife and Pim van Lommel confirms that with his experience written in this book.
This book was very informative and truly scientific. It did discuss religion briefly, but stuck to scientific facts for the most part. I would recommend this book to any who would like to learn about NDEs and the science behind it. 5 stars!
Edith
Didn't finish. I loved the stories of near death experienced and parts of the scientific explanations. But not being a scientist myself, things got too complicated for me.
Jack Oughton
It is wonderful to read a book on NDEs which has what seems to have a 'proper' scientific grounding. Bloody good stuff, Pim.
Sara
This was an excellent and thought provoking book. The only thing is that it is very scientific and a little hard to absorb in some parts.
Jane
Blew my mind. I read a library copy and I'm running out to buy a copy asap!
Julie Ryan
Brilliant. Fascinating. Confirmed many things I've felt intuitively.
Bob Johnson
Extremely interesting and thought provoking.
kashiichan
Well-reasoned and cites sources; very convincing.
Alex Appleton
Alex Appleton is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
  • Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
  • Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation
  • The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating Heart Cadavers--How Medicine Is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children
  • The Principles of Psychology Vol 2
  • Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People
  • Cosmic Consciousness - A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind
  • The Big Red Book
  • Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon - Survival of Bodily Death
  • Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality
  • Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)
  • Initiation
  • When the Impossible Happens: Adventures in Non-ordinary Realities
  • Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice
Pim van Lommel, M.D., was born in 1943, graduated in 1971 from the University of Utrecht, and finished his specialization in cardiology in 1976. He worked from 1977–2003 as a cardiologist in Hospital Rijnstate, an 800-bed Teaching Hospital in Arnhem, the Netherlands, and is now doing full-time research on the mind-brain relation.

He published several articles on cardiology, but since he started hi...more
More about Pim van Lommel...
Consciencia más allá de la vida I Died Three Times in 1977 - The Complete Story Zien is geloven. Exacte wetenschappers over spiritualiteit Het spirituele brein: Bewijzen voor het bestaan van de ziel

“La mente humana es capaz de transformar la estructura anatómica y las funciones asociadas del cerebro: la mente puede cambiar el cerebro. Existe una inconfundible interacción entre la mente y el cerebro, no sólo una relación de causa-efecto. En consecuencia, sería un error afirmar que la conciencia no es más que el producto de la función cerebral. ¿Cómo podría el producto transformar a su propio productor?” 2 likes
“De acuerdo con la teoría cuántica, todo está interconectado, existe una causa no local para todo suceso y cuando algo ocurre cambia de inmediato el universo entero.” 1 likes