Start by marking “Can They Do That?: Retaking Our Fundamental Rights in the Workplace” as Want to Read:
Can They Do That?: Retaking Our Fundamental Rights in the Workplace

Can They Do That?: Retaking Our Fundamental Rights in the Workplace

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Brilliantly lays out the bitter truth: that the American workplace is a dictatorship where workers have few, if any, rights." -Barbara Ehrenreich, author of "Nickel and Dimed"
An expose of the shocking ways that companies invade employees' privacy and restrict their freedom.
Is it legal for your employer to fire you for writing a letter to the editor? Or for putting the
Published December 31st 2009 by Portfolio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Can They Do That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can They Do That?

AndreaZ
Oct 03, 2010 AndreaZ rated it really liked it
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." - Anatole France

To get a job at Target, I had to take the MMPI psychological test, which asked if I agreed with statements like 'I am not sorry I am a girl,' 'Evil spirits possess me' or 'Some days I wake up refreshed.' While being forced to partake in this idiocy did stir up some righteous indignation, I persevered through the test and ended up being hired
Russell Prag
Oct 09, 2013 Russell Prag rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-hardcopy
Maltby casts an interesting light on the current status of workplace rights. Unfortunately, he abuses his credentials to bend history in favor of a clear partisan bias that left a sour taste to his concluding chapter.

From page 243: "Virtually every law in history the helped employees was initiated by Democrats and opposed by Republicans."

Maltby surely knows the reality that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (a big law in history he references several times in his book) passed in SPITE of strong South
David Gray
Jun 19, 2011 David Gray rated it it was amazing
Lewis Maltby has written a terrifying book about the dimunition of workre's rights. The real life examples almost sound absurd until you realize that the stories he's telling are true! Maltby also has recommendations for ways we could address these issues without bringing the workplace and the concepts of employment to a stop. If you think that employees in the US have adequate rights and protections this book will honestly terrify you. I have never been so glad that I don't work for someone els ...more
Matt
Nov 20, 2011 Matt rated it did not like it
I only could stand to skim the book. Here's the Cliff's Notes:

You work. You're screwed. As the lawyer/author points out, the only logical solution is more laws.

Seriously?

It's rather unsettling to see all the ways we have no rights in the workplace and the legal background for such. That portion of the book is interesting. But it really falls short of the "retaking" portion.
Stella
Feb 24, 2011 Stella marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm only twenty pages in but so far this has been a really interesting read. I have a bad habit of walking into libraries and walking out with as many books as I can carry (it's such a giddy feeling - and all for freeee!) but walking back a week later with only one or two actually read. I can already tell though that this is going to be one of the ones I get through.
MentorPublicLibrary
Good overview on how (the lack of) laws affects employees. Interesting fact: the state of Montana implemented a law requiring just cause for dismissal. Since the passage of that law, their economy has grown three-fold, bypassing any other state. What is good for employees also helps the market economy.
Beth
Feb 03, 2010 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
After spending some time recently in a law class, I have to say that I am dying to read this. I didn't know that workers - yes even in the United States - have no rights - wow.
Kent
Sep 17, 2010 Kent rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
All you want to know about workers' rights, from privacy to mandatory arbitration to drug testing on the job.
Craig
Feb 25, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An important reminder on how our "American" freedoms extend only as far as the office door. The best way to carry them further is to unionize and negotiate a strong collective bargaining agreement.
Jordan Gomez
Jordan Gomez marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Brock
Brock marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Neil Mccormack
Neil Mccormack marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
daVID gUIDO
daVID gUIDO rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Moss
Moss is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Hantrel Greindgo
Hantrel Greindgo marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
Sep 24, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Jennifer Olsen
Jennifer Olsen rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2013
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Beth Gubbins
Beth Gubbins marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013