You and No Other

You and No Other

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The constraints of quiet widowhood have become too much for Lady Caroline Pearson to bear--especially now that her brother-in law has idiotically, and illegally, gambled away her house. Boldly, she confronts the new owner in person. But not only does the dashing rogue, James Ferrington, refuse to return Caroline's deed, he tries to take scandalous advantage of her as well....more
Published November 14th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about You and No Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You and No Other

Drea (LilyElement Reviews)
Caroline’s no-good brother-in-law gambled away her house along with his dead brother’s fortune. Her house. Not the house her now husband gave her, but the house that came with her dowry. She’ll have to deal with it because reneging on a game of chance just isn’t done, so sayeth the brother-in-law. Well, she’s not going to sit idly by and let that stand…or become the companion to her harpy of a mother-in-law simply to have a place to live. She’ll get her house back from the winner.

Only…James is...more
Ashley Schuster
Started out loving at first. It reminded me of books written by Lisa Kleypas. However, half way through, I became bored with the "middle school" shenanigans and it took me quite some time (enough time to read a Kresley Cole novel) to bring myself to finish it. It did, however, get more interesting later in the book. And I mean two or three chapters from the end.
Elis Madison
Widowed Caroline Pearson learns that her brother-in-law has gambled away everything he has—meaning that the small stipend she's been living on is gone. But worse, he also—illegally—gambled away the little house that was the one bequest her very fortunately dead hubby left her.

The house wasn't his to lose, so Caroline approaches the man he lost to, wealthy businessman James Ferrington, and asks him to return the deed.

James hasn't had a woman for awhile. So his brains have basically migrated to...more
Laurie
Cherie Jensen
I liked how Caroline held back from her feelings for James. She valued herself and was not frivolous. James suffered from "minimum communication syndrome" and thought Caroline could read his mind. Poor James. I loved the scene where he's in the cellar singing. James was a good man and a charming hero. I liked Caroline but didn't love her character. She was quick to think the worst of James without asking for explanations. While James thought Caroline could read his mind, Caroline thought she cou...more
Lord Rose
The plot was kind of (very) ridiculous, but in a fun way.

There were title errors galore, which was very annoying. There were also some points of historical inaccuracy. One, impoverished widows of lords do not get jobs as teachers if they want to remain socially acceptable. They just don't. Two, the widow of a rich lord shouldn't become impoverished, even if her brother-in-law inherits, because her father should have worked out her jointure in the marriage contract. That would get her a certain p...more
Prue
I actually give this a 3 1/2 stars. It was a great summer read. It had me laughing and then I would be shaking my head with anticipation. Great book!
Barbara ★
James Ferrington did something incredibly stupid and chased away the woman he is quickly becoming infatuated with. Widow Caroline Pearson, has never been in love; was an emotional slave to her husband; and is fearful of marriage and being put in the same situation again. She resists James to the best of her ability but hence it is not enough. The courtship is interesting and quite comical when Caroline's scandalous aunt adds her two cents. An amusing tale with a sweet ending.
Krissy
Uggh.... the worst Cathy Maxwell book yet. I usually love her books but this one fell waaaay short. This was a total "skimmer" meaning about 3 chapters in I lost interest and started just skimming through the book. I would not recommend this to anybody looking to read Cathy Maxwell for the first time. Please do not choose this one! She has so many other novels that are so much better!
Jean Gobel
Finished this in Mar 2013 - A fun, quick read. A widow, too long in mourning black, meets a handsome man of means, whom she decides is a rake. Four well-meaning elderly friends decide to help Caroline in the main objective of the story, but without her knowledge. As expected, things go from bad to worse, but we all know, love wins in the end. Good read for a rainy day.
Fadekemi
Best Cathy Maxwell book ever written as far as i am concerned. Was very funny, witty and charming. The book starts slowly, but trust Cathy to make you love the characters, understand their reasons why they do what they do and find a way to bring them together.
June
The plot for this book is a bit silly but the scandalous aunt and her notorious friends made this book. I love their antics to "save" Caroline. Its not serious read, but it can make you laugh.
Karyn Gerrard

My favorite Cathy Maxwell to date. Everything clicked, humor, deep emotion and very readable. Bonus~sexy Nathan Kamp on cover doesn't hurt! Highly recommend.
Dancer
It took this story too long to develop. It is the Hatfields and the McCoys (or Romeo and Juliet) set in Regency England.
Lindsay
The entire plot of this book was just nonsense. But I did like the tightknit group of older women who just didn't give a crap.
Etty
Suka dengan Minerva dengan teman-temannya yang eksentrik. Benar-benar kelompok wanita tua yang unik.
Ana
One of my favorite books. It was funny, sad at times and positively triumphant in the end. :D
Carolyn
Just a little romance to while away an afternoon hanging out with the dog.
Jan (the Gryphon)
Can't believe I didn't have this entered already.
Patricia Carstairs
Justo lo que esperaba
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Caterina Leistikow
Caterina Leistikow marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sumit
Sumit marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
  • A Scarlet Bride
  • A Promise of Love (Zebra Lovegram)
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • When Angels Fall
  • The Heiress (Bride Quest, #3)
  • The Tender Texan
  • Reckless Angel
  • Regan's Pride (Long, Tall Texans, #11)
  • Longing
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • The Marriage Surrender
  • Too Wicked To Kiss
  • The Bride of Devil's Acre
  • The De Burgh Bride (de Burgh, #2)
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Lumber and Lace
  • The Greek Prince's Chosen Wife (Billionaires' Brides, #2)
  • The Vampire Narcise (Regency Draculia, #3)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...
Four Dukes and a Devil In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3) Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)