Start by marking “You and No Other” as Want to Read:
You and No Other

You and No Other

The constraints of quiet widowhood have become too much for Lady Caroline Pearson to bear--especially now that her brother-in law has idiotically, and illegally, gambled away her house. Boldly, she confronts the new owner in person. But not only does the dashing rogue, James Ferrington, refuse to return Caroline's deed, he tries to take scandalous advantage of her as well. ...more
Published November 14th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about You and No Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You and No Other

Drea (LilyElement Reviews)
Caroline’s no-good brother-in-law gambled away her house along with his dead brother’s fortune. Her house. Not the house her now husband gave her, but the house that came with her dowry. She’ll have to deal with it because reneging on a game of chance just isn’t done, so sayeth the brother-in-law. Well, she’s not going to sit idly by and let that stand…or become the companion to her harpy of a mother-in-law simply to have a place to live. She’ll get her house back from the winner.

Only…James is
Ashley Schuster
Started out loving at first. It reminded me of books written by Lisa Kleypas. However, half way through, I became bored with the "middle school" shenanigans and it took me quite some time (enough time to read a Kresley Cole novel) to bring myself to finish it. It did, however, get more interesting later in the book. And I mean two or three chapters from the end.
Kim
Aug 23, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Frances Fugate
Shelves: romance
very good and interesting
Netanella
Slapstick comedy historical romance. It left a big, goofy smile on my face.
Elis Madison
Widowed Caroline Pearson learns that her brother-in-law has gambled away everything he has—meaning that the small stipend she's been living on is gone. But worse, he also—illegally—gambled away the little house that was the one bequest her very fortunately dead hubby left her.

The house wasn't his to lose, so Caroline approaches the man he lost to, wealthy businessman James Ferrington, and asks him to return the deed.

James hasn't had a woman for awhile. So his brains have basically migrated to
Laurie
Feb 02, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maura
Cherie
Oct 17, 2012 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how Caroline held back from her feelings for James. She valued herself and was not frivolous. James suffered from "minimum communication syndrome" and thought Caroline could read his mind. Poor James. I loved the scene where he's in the cellar singing. James was a good man and a charming hero. I liked Caroline but didn't love her character. She was quick to think the worst of James without asking for explanations. While James thought Caroline could read his mind, Caroline thought she cou ...more
Lord Rose
The plot was kind of (very) ridiculous, but in a fun way.

There were title errors galore, which was very annoying. There were also some points of historical inaccuracy. One, impoverished widows of lords do not get jobs as teachers if they want to remain socially acceptable. They just don't. Two, the widow of a rich lord shouldn't become impoverished, even if her brother-in-law inherits, because her father should have worked out her jointure in the marriage contract. That would get her a certain p
Barbara ★
James Ferrington did something incredibly stupid and chased away the woman he is quickly becoming infatuated with. Widow Caroline Pearson, has never been in love; was an emotional slave to her husband; and is fearful of marriage and being put in the same situation again. She resists James to the best of her ability but hence it is not enough. The courtship is interesting and quite comical when Caroline's scandalous aunt adds her two cents. An amusing tale with a sweet ending.
Victoria Hrenda
A silly, silly book. It was so very cheesy. The plot was fluffy and cliche, the stuff of junior high fantasies. I laughed so much toward the middle of the book when the group of four old women kidnapped the hero and locked him in the cellar. That was my favorite part. I didn't dislike this book... but it was utter trash. A guilty pleasure. I would never admit to liking it enough to recommend it to someone else!
Jean Gobel
Mar 13, 2013 Jean Gobel rated it really liked it
Finished this in Mar 2013 - A fun, quick read. A widow, too long in mourning black, meets a handsome man of means, whom she decides is a rake. Four well-meaning elderly friends decide to help Caroline in the main objective of the story, but without her knowledge. As expected, things go from bad to worse, but we all know, love wins in the end. Good read for a rainy day.
Krissy
Aug 30, 2012 Krissy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pgs-300-399
Uggh.... the worst Cathy Maxwell book yet. I usually love her books but this one fell waaaay short. This was a total "skimmer" meaning about 3 chapters in I lost interest and started just skimming through the book. I would not recommend this to anybody looking to read Cathy Maxwell for the first time. Please do not choose this one! She has so many other novels that are so much better!
Josephine
I was very disappointed with this book. The blurb promises a major plot event (the hero ended up locked in the heroine's cellar) yet this didn't happen for over 200 pages. By this point, the slow pacing just made me irritated. This was a DNF for me.
Jae
Starts off very well with good chemistry between the leads and charming secondary characters but it devolves into a comedy of errors that is more annoying than funny. It also relies heavily on several coincidences that simply stretch credulity and some extreme turn-arounds from the dude.
Fadekemi
Sep 04, 2011 Fadekemi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Cathy Maxwell book ever written as far as i am concerned. Was very funny, witty and charming. The book starts slowly, but trust Cathy to make you love the characters, understand their reasons why they do what they do and find a way to bring them together.
Marie Rich
Oct 10, 2016 Marie Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!

Loveable characters, cute story with twist and turns. Would highly recommend. In one chapter I literally laughed out loud and then cried till I couldn't breath through my nose.
Dancer
Jun 17, 2009 Dancer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took this story too long to develop. It is the Hatfields and the McCoys (or Romeo and Juliet) set in Regency England.
June
Sep 26, 2013 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot for this book is a bit silly but the scandalous aunt and her notorious friends made this book. I love their antics to "save" Caroline. Its not serious read, but it can make you laugh.
Patricia Carstairs
Justo lo que esperaba
Prue
Jan 21, 2014 Prue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot-reads
I actually give this a 3 1/2 stars. It was a great summer read. It had me laughing and then I would be shaking my head with anticipation. Great book!
Cute love story, but the antics of Caroline and James are a bit far fetched. I have a hard time believing that she has four elderly, previously notorious ladies helping her get James.
Etty
Aug 17, 2011 Etty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suka dengan Minerva dengan teman-temannya yang eksentrik. Benar-benar kelompok wanita tua yang unik.
Jan (the Gryphon)
Can't believe I didn't have this entered already.
Karyn Gerrard
Sep 01, 2011 Karyn Gerrard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My favorite Cathy Maxwell to date. Everything clicked, humor, deep emotion and very readable. Bonus~sexy Nathan Kamp on cover doesn't hurt! Highly recommend.
Lindsay
Feb 08, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The entire plot of this book was just nonsense. But I did like the tightknit group of older women who just didn't give a crap.
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 24, 2010
Princessfroglips
Princessfroglips rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2015
Cristin Rydzewski
Cristin Rydzewski rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2009
  • The Rogue's Disgraced Lady
  • A Scarlet Bride
  • How to Seduce a Bride (Botany Bay, #4)
  • A Promise of Love
  • Northern Lights
  • The Sea King
  • The Loving Trap
  • Just This Once
  • The Wedding Vow
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • Pleasuring the Prince (Flambeau Sisters, #1)(The Kazanovs, #4)
  • Once Forbidden (MacKendimen, #2)
  • Tempted by Your Touch (Brides of the Bloodstone, #1)
  • Once Upon A Scandal
  • The Heiress (Bride Quest, #3)
  • Desperate Match (Coded for Love, #5)
  • The Tender Texan
  • Reckless Angel
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...

“My desire to see as much of the world as I could started with these stars.” 0 likes
“If the hand of God had come down from heaven and smacked him dead, James could not have been more surprised.
He waited, certain he had misunderstood.”
0 likes