Start by marking “Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)” as Want to Read:
Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)

Golem in the Gears (Xanth #9)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  9,146 ratings  ·  73 reviews
In order to prove himself, tiny Grundy Golem volunteers to ride the Monster Under the Bed to the Ivory Tower to find little Ivy's long-lodt dragon, Stanley Steamer.
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published January 12th 1986 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Golem in the Gears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golem in the Gears

Julie Decker
Grundy was once just a golem, but now he's much more: having been brought to life, he's no longer what he was created to be. When Grundy goes off to find a lost dragon, he finds something he wasn't even looking for: love. But if you're a tiny little man in a very big world, it's going to take a pretty special partner to get on your level.

I liked the idea of Grundy dealing with being tiny in a world that was big enough to swallow him up, but it just became very tiresome for me reading these books
P.J. Wetzel
A few years ago I bought several of the oldest of the Piers Anthony Xanth series at a used book store, and after reading a few I was enjoying them enough, despite misgivings about the author's blatant sexism, to buy more (at fifty cents a pop) and to begin entertaining the idea of reading the entire series (there are about 38 of them as of 2014). The early books gained popularity to the point of becoming New York Times bestsellers. I think this particular one, ninth in the series, started the st ...more
Eniko
I really enjoyed reading this, the ninth book of the Xanth series. It was very imaginative and - for lack of a better way of putting it - linguistically enriching.

I especially liked the Monster Under the Bed. When I read of him on the back cover, I though he sounded like a rather childish idea, but Piers Anthony really had a ball with him. In essence, the Moster Under the Bed - whose name is Snortimer - is made up of five hairy arms with hands, connected at a central disc. It is upon this disc t
Don LaFountaine
This is my second favorite Xanth book. The story is focused on Grundy, the wise cracking, often insulting, and rarely at a loss for words golem who became real in an earlier book because he learned to care.

One day he finds Princess Ivy trying to teach her brother, Prince Dolph, to change into a bird to go look for the still lost Stanley Steamer. Grundy saves that trouble by going out on an adventure to find the lost dragon. Along the way, he has to go to the Good Magician, he rides Ivy's Under
Book Him Danno
I read the Xanth novels in college and I loved them, the puns and the humor was right up my ally. I cannot remember everyone on its on merit, but the series is funny and fast to read. I now need to get my kids started on this series. If you like fantasy and puns, you will love this group of books.
Monica
I remember I enjoyed this series a great deal when I was an early teen. I also remember that as the series went on it got darker, weirder and a little pervier.
Na'Roon
The story felt a little short, but, over all a good book.
David Sarkies
Jun 15, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody (unless you are a rabid Piers Anthony fan, but then you would know about this book anyway)
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: fantasy
Fairly much a non-starter
30 December 2011

It seems that Anthony just keeps on writing, and as he keeps on writing, people keep on buying his books, and because they keep on buying his books, he keeps on writing. Not that it is necessarily bad, though we must remember that these books are targeted at a younger audience (as I will explain shortly). Anyway, it suggests something similar to Stephen King. Okay, some of Stephen Kings books are actually really good, but it appears that he got to a poin
Swankivy
Grundy is a golem. As one would imagine, he was originally made out of a string/clay combination, but he got brought to "real" life by a demon at one point so now he's not really a golem so much as he is a tiny little man. He's an angry little sucker, pretty good at insulting people, but that's not his magical talent or anything. His magical talent is that he can talk to any living creature, and understand what they say. This was kind of neat in the story. But . . .

What's a Piers Anthony book w
Janet Eshenroder
Two and a half stars. I picked this off the shelf because I'd just read another story about a Golem and had not read this book for 30 years (at least). It's cute. It has a lot of puns. I probably liked it better when I was much younger and reading it for the first time, but it still remains a fun, light read. I suspect some of Anthony's earlier books (which I still have)might have been more novel and would rate a full three stars.
J Austill
This is the 9th Xanth book and the last to be published by TOR. It also ranks just slightly above The Source of Magic making it the second worst of the early Xanth books.

At some time in the past, one fan must have written to Piers and asked why, when all of the characters in his novels find true love and live happily ever after, did Grundy never find his soul mate. At the end of the source of magic, he was rewarded for his efforts by being made into a real boy by the Demon Xanth.

This book answer
Kaethe
Oh, the puns. There's almost nothing but puns. The Xanth books are fun, but I warn against reading too many together.
Jenny
This was the very first Xanth novel I read. I read it when I was in middle school and handed it to my older sister to read, we ened up sort of getting hooked into the series and looked for xanth novels in the library for years. We really got into them. I never had the pleasure of reading the first few books of the series, but my sister tells me it explains about how much of the world of Xanth comes to be. Fans of math and physics sort of sci-fi might really get into it. I still like reading one ...more
Carolynn
I liked the ending and seeing some old repeat characters but I don't like Grundy much. He's annoying.
Otis Campbell
Beast of burden
Spirit lifting
Master of shape-shifting
Seamless drifting
Patricia Joynton
Read this to my children. Allen Otto really enjoyed this one!
Perrin Thiesfeld
By far my favorite book in the entire series.
Stephen Herfst
This was my introduction to Piers Anthony ... and it was a good one.
I loved the 'imaginitiveness' of it. There were plenty of things that made the story magical, approachable and entertaining. His stories are a more adult version of Enid Blyton's Far Away Tree ... and that can only be a good thing.

The best part was my library had almost all of them, which made my nights quite long for the proceeding few months / years.

For nostalgia's sake (and the fact I was a child when I read it), I can only g
Kirsti
This story revolves around Grundy, a character from previous novels who has always had a helper role in the past. Now it's time for him to get his own book, as he goes off in search of Stanley the Gap Dragon, Ivy's lost pet. Along the way there is adventure and romance, as well as new and old characters.

This isn't exactly one of my favorite novels of Xanth, but it is the lead up to quite a few books that are, so it's important. Five stars!
Shawn Camp
The problem started from the beginning. The plot was too weak, but this seems to happen in some of the Xanth novels.

Grundy the Golem doesn't seem to get respect and to earn it he goes to search for the long lost dragon. But how bis that going to earn him respect when throughout his travels he really isn't to friendly with anyone and tends to insult many of his travelers. Bleh.
Theresa
Once again I'm glad I got talked into reading Piers anthony. His characters are endearing. Even with all his faults I couldn't help rooting for Grundy.

I assumed pretty early on that I knew where the book was going, but I enjoyed the ride getting there. I think that might be my favorite part of Piers Anthony's writing seeing what the problem is and watching how it unfolds.
Ward Bond
SUMMARY:
Grundy Golem got no respect. So, to prove himself, he volunteered for a quest to find the long-lost dragon, Stanley Steamer. On the way, he somehow manages to free a damsel in distress-- but not without incurring the wrath of the Sea Hag in the process. And when it comes to avenging herself on Grundy, the Sea Hag will never give up....From the Paperback edition.
Nola
I'd like to point out that Grundy came into commission when Bink was a newlywed of 25 or so, and Bink is now a grandfather. Though he acted grown, Dee could technically be considered the same age as Dor, Ivy's father and Ivy is ten, so Grundy is mid-thirties, minimum, if not a full 50. While Rapunzel is all of 20. The creepy old man gang scores again.
Doe E.
The Xanth books were a hoot the first time through (many years ago). I attempted to reread them again recently, but they don't work for me now. It's probably not a maturity thing, because I still think Gilligan is funny! Hmmm. If you haven't read them yet, go for it. If you've read them once, remember them fondly.
Lisa Cunningham
This is my favorite book in the Xanth series for some reason. Out of all the books I could own, I added this one. Piers Anthony is a great author and I really enjoyed reading the Xanth series twice.It would be a great series for kids. Its fun and the play on words is hilarious at times.
David
I am pretty sure this is where I finally stopped reading the Xanth novels... they were just too repetitive. I'm sure there's still some entertainment to be found in the rest of the series, but by now Anthony was just phoning it in with a few new characters and puns for each book.
Dale Rosso
Great Xanth story.
Michael Ware
This was the first Xanth novel I read, obviously out of order. It did hook me on the series. It was one of the earliest fantasy series I read and looking back not the greatest. But I enjoyed it at the time.
Natalie
Didn't get into this one as much as others, but I've never been much of a fan of Grundy the Golem, so it's not surprising that I don't get on with a whole book about it as well!
Brianne
Grundy Golem goes to rescue Stanley Steamer, if only he knew where he was.

A story about characters we haven't really heard from yet. Goes farther into the world of Xanth.
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • An Excess of Enchantments (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #2)
  • The Witch Doctor (Wizard in Rhyme, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth, #10)
  • Heaven Cent (Xanth, #11)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)

“When you steal from the library, you are preventing anyone else from reading that book, and the very notion makes me want to drop you in the Void.” 51 likes
“Barbarian --A Code of Conduct honored by all true barbarian warriors, requiring excellent coordination with weapons, closeness to nature, awkwardness with women, common sense, and completion of the mission.” 7 likes