Start by marking “Dragon On A Pedestal (Xanth, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dragon On A Pedestal (Xanth, #7)

Dragon On A Pedestal (Xanth #7)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  10,373 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 306 pages
Published October 1983 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Dragon On A Pedestal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon On A Pedestal

Kirsten
This is the very first book I ever read. Other than "See Spot Run" that is.

I am mildly dyslexic. Not enough to get the special classes in school, or beneficial status in college, but enough to have made learning how to read a truly traumatic experience. Then one summer my father gave me his copy of this book. I was about 8 or 9-years-old. It took me several months, and a lot of help, but I finished this book, and never looked back.

As a young girl I didn't understand a lot of the puns Anthony u
Rocko
I had read Dragon on a Pedestal over a very long period of time. I started it about a year or so ago and stopped over halfway through. I had put it down and forgot about it for the entire year. This was in no way the book's fault... for some reason I just got distracted by a different series at the time. I recently picked it up again and finished the second half of the book in about two days.

It's a great story and very much follows the 'traditional Xanth template'... The main character setting
Jason Prodoehl
The the puns and gender may be silly at times, this is my favorite book in the Xanth series.
Don LaFountaine
Book 7 of the Xanth series brings forth the 3rd generation of Xanth characters. I love how it continues to grow and expand.

Dor and Irene are now King and Queen of Xanth, as King Trent and Queen Iris have retired to the North Village. They go to visit the Zombie Master at his castle, about how the Gap Dragon has escaped the Gap. The forget spell is starting to break up, and whirls of forgetfulness are spinning around Xanth. While discussing these issues, the Gap Dragon appears, and in the ensuing
Brianne
Though brilliant as always. This particular Xanth is not what I would consider up to par with others of the series. There is a certain repetitiveness in the plot, and a reuse of past events I didn't quite like.

Still, I'm going to read the next one.
Joan
This was another fun Xanth title. I think but I'm not certain this may have been the first one where he acknowledges wide suggestions from the public of puns to use. Ivy, age 3, is the heroine of this romp. Well, one of the heroines. Her Mom, Irene is the other one. Short summary: Ivy gets lost, and Irene goes to look for her. It turns out Ivy's magic talent, sorceress level, is enhancing other people's talents, often to ridiculous degrees. Although it is never safe to say ridiculous degrees in ...more
Julie Decker
Three-year-old Princess Ivy gets lost because of a forgetfulness spell spinning across the land, but luckily the Gap dragon has also lost its memory and befriends her. When Hugo, the Magician Humfrey's son, comes after her to rescue her, he finds himself capable of feats of bravery and strength he never would have dreamed of.

It's boy rescues girl (again), this time with little children who talk like they're a good five or six years older than they are. I zoned out on this one a lot because there
P.J. Wetzel
The introductory summary begins:

"There is trouble in Xanth again. The Gap Dragon had escaped and was ravaging across the land, the forget-spell was causing mass amnesia, three-year old Ivy was headed right for a hungry dragon. Could things get any worse? Probably...."

Yes, the forget-spell has also escaped and had dissipated into 'forget whorls.' It was these that were causing the random events of amnesia all over civilized Xanth.

Little Ivy is the daughter of Xanth's ruling King Dor and his wife
David Sarkies
Nov 10, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens who liked the Harry Potter Books
Shelves: fantasy
Unfortunately this book didn't help me forget about Xanth
31 December 2011

Well, here I am up to book number seven, which means that I have another 5 brief comments of write on these books before I can get out of bed and go and have a shower. Maybe there are better things that I can do on New Years Eve, but then it is about 1:00 in the afternoon, and I did have a big night last night, if one can call it big. This year New Years Eve falls on a Saturday, and I really can't be bothered going out aga
John
Feb 28, 2011 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: xanth
Swankivy
Here we have three-year-old Princess Ivy who talks like she's in upper elementary school for no real good reason. Anyway, she goes missing, and of course the king and queen are desperate to find her, but she's unable to return home because a forgetfulness whorl has taken away her memory of where her home is. A spell of forgetfulness has broken up and is spinning around in pieces across the land, affecting various characters. Another character who's affected is the dragon of the Gap. Ivy pretty m ...more
Nola
Like Night Mare, Anthony skips over most of his sexist remarks because the main character is a very precocious three year old who believes herself to be even smarter than the average tyke. Ivy's talent is definitely creative, even in the world of Xanth, but it is funny how arbitrary the judgement of its caliber is.

Of course, even Anthony can't keep a toddler and a dragon compelling, so her mother must trek through the wilderness after her, constantly worrying that no one wants to see her panties
Carolynn
I really loved this book. The story is engaging and there is multiple things happening from two (sometimes three) different viewpoints. This is the first Xanth novel to switch characters back and forth. I loved seeing into little Ivy's head and, can I say that I fell in love with the gap dragon? Because I did.

Onwards and upwards!
Theresa
Having read these books all out of order makes a lot of moments sweeter to me. Having read Ivy already as a full grown woman, it was sweet to see her as a toddler.

I absolutely loved that Ivy's magic is enhancement. I don't remember that being as wonderful and special in her grown up form as in was in this. Ivy making Hugo a handsome brainiac just because she believed was really sweet.

I loved the bit with the Cyclops and how she helped him find his brothers, and it was brought full circle when Ir
J Austill
This Xanth book does something that I don't think I have ever seen done so well in any other media.

For whatever reason, Adults like to pretend that kids are idiots. When in reality, there are often quite brilliant and capable of noticing details which adults would miss.

The protagonist this time around is only 3 years old, but she's also the most powerful magician to ever live in Xanth. She goes missing (actually, decides to have her own adventure). The plot switches between the adults, who are
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Blake
I really enjoyed this one. I tend to like books that shift perspectives between at least two characters. Keeps things moving along. I don't think the previous 6 Xanth books used more than one perspective. Maybe Ogre, Ogre did a little bit. I can't remember. Anyway, I really liked Ivy's talent and her character. I had a little bit of trouble with what happened to Zora Zombie, but only in relation to something that happened in Castle Roogna, the third Xanth book. It's just a minor issue of consist ...more
Kaethe
I'm sure that the ability to enjoy Anthony's puns is a test of some kind. After a while the stereotyped female characters start to grow a little stale, as does the jokes at the expense of the female characters.
Mark J Canello
Great story !!!

Enjoyed this one very much. Very well written. I don't normally read a lot of books but glad I picked this one up.
Steve
dragon

Loved it! Good read! Can't wait for the next one. Need 10 more words. Blah blah and blah blah ugh
Hannah
Oct 03, 2008 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hannah by: My sister
This was a good book. Not fantastic, but piers anthony does have a great way with words and Xanth is most definitely a fanstastic world and Anthony had a great imagination that ties it all together.
But, basically it's all about Ivy, a three-year-old whom meets a dragon and is wanting to find home. But, see everyone in xanth has a talent....well, i guess i would recommend the very first xanth book, a spell for chameleon...before you read this. I didn't read it and it messed me up, until i read zo
Marty Mayer
Great book! I re-read it as a reminder of how entertaining the Xanth books are.
Kathryn
This was the first of the Xanth books I ever read. It's alternately fun, maudlin, silly, romantic (in an overwrought soap-opera kind of way), and full of WAY too many puns. But I liked it. (Of course I did. Look at my nickname; how could I NOT like it?) I liked it enough to read all the books in the series that came before it, and almost a dozen that came afterwards, about 18 in all (which I'm shocked to see is only a little more than HALF of the books in the series. Good God...).
I still think i
Kirsti
Ivy definitely has one of my favorite talents in all of Xanth, just like her father. When she gets lost in the wilds of Xanth, her talent truly shows and enables her to make the most of things.

Loads of great concepts in this book, especially Stanley. Xanth number seven is full of the same characters as the previous books, with some new ones added as well. We're introduced to some who will play major parts in the later novels, such as the Simurgh, Hiatus, and Stanley himself.

Five stars of course,
Jenniffer
Very cute! Enjoyed reading it again.
Lin Clark
Love the adventures of the lost king's daughter Ivy and how extraordinary her magic is and how it enhances others' magic.
Jeffrey
Apr 12, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: fantasy
Although books with kids can be oh so cute that you grind your teeth, this 7th novel in the Xanth universe is not too cute. The universe itself is ice cream soft to begin with so this volume fits right within.

As in all of the early Xanth books after the original trilogy, the character is a heir to the throne who has a magician talent but as a child her talent was not fully developed. She ends up in area where the Gap Dragon lives.

I found the book very enjoyable and sweet as cotton candy
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • Pigs Don't Fly  (Pigs Don't Fly, #2)
  • The Dragon at War
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth, #10)
  • Heaven Cent (Xanth, #11)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)

“Not any more. Not according to Glory Goblin or Brontes the Cyclops. Imbri merely confirms that Hugo has perfected his talent, and is now a good deal smarter and handsomer than before. A woman has to be responsible.” 0 likes