Start by marking “El caso del profesor Culianu” as Want to Read:
El caso del profesor Culianu

El caso del profesor Culianu

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
El profesor rumano Ioan P. Culianu (1950-1991), amigo personal de Mircea Eliade y reconocido experto en Ficino, gnosticismo y magia renacentista (ver su libro Eros y magia en el Renacimiento), fue asesinado el 21 de mayo de 1991 en el campus de la Universidad de Chicago, donde ejercía como profesor tras su exilio. Este crimen sobrecogió al mundo académico y dejó perplejo a ...more
Published 2007 by Siruela (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about El caso del profesor Culianu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El caso del profesor Culianu

Ronald
Feb 19, 2012 Ronald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am going by memory here: I first learned about the murder of a University of Chicago professor when watching the local TV news. I read one article about it, I think it was in the Chicago Tribune. Then I didn't think about it for a few years, until I read a article, I think in the Chicago Reader, about the then recently published book about the life, work, and murder of Professor Ioan Culianu. From the article, the book seemed interesting. I read the book soon after it came out.

There are three
Carrie
Mar 10, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This was taken from one of my blog entries 1.5 years ago.

The Divinity School at the University of Chicago is no stranger to crimes. Former Div School professor Ioan P. Culianu was murdered in the men's bathroom back in 1991. He was in the men's stall when he was shot in the head, point-blank. At present, the crime remains unsolved and the assailant still unknown.

Magic and mystery surrounds the death of Professor Culianu. The read is very interesting, as the author spends MUCH time on Culianu's p
Katelis Viglas
Well written book. I liked all the details about Culianu's life. The proposed solution to the mystery of his murder is very convincing. It is obvious that the author has made a thorough research, and has interviewed many people and Culianu's relatives. But sometimes one has the sense that he presents Culianu as an arrivist, as if he was an academic who cared only for his career development. Off course, the references to Culianu's books are plenty. The book is pleasant, one can read it without st ...more
Cuneyt
Dec 09, 2012 Cuneyt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Overall a sad story. It is difficult not to be impressed by Professor Culianu's ambition and achievements in such a short life. The book is well written, but at places, especially about Romanian politics, one may slow down although those details are absolutely crucial for understanding the background. I really enjoyed reading it. I see the qualities of a good film at the hands of a good director.
Jessica
Oct 13, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anton's book, Eros, Magic and the Murder of Professor Culianu, was attention-grabbing. I wanted to read this because I knew Anton in college and had read some of his fiction (unpublished). I did not expect to be so drawn in to the book (not my usual subject) and was surprised when I couldn't put it down. Why does some writing so engage us?
Marshall
Mar 26, 2009 Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time. A man who lived his life like it was an adventure and paid the ultimate price.
Tamara Trout
Jul 23, 2011 Tamara Trout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing read! It's a true story that reads as thrillingly as any fictional murder mystery.
James Mclallen
James Mclallen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Iulia
Iulia marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Tonu Constantin
Tonu Constantin rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Teodora Miclăuș
Teodora Miclăuș rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Tara Malaska
Tara Malaska marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Netocika
Netocika marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
MarchHare
MarchHare marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
mihi
mihi marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Sebastian Veres
Sebastian Veres marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Sorin Crăcană
Sorin Crăcană marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Molly Tomlin
Molly Tomlin rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Brais Crespo
Brais Crespo rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Liviu
Liviu rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2015
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jeff Sanderson
Jeff Sanderson marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Imre Fekete
Imre Fekete marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Taryn Schroedter
Taryn Schroedter is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Mike Smolarek
Mike Smolarek rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
jennifer
jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Michael DiBaggio
Michael DiBaggio marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015