Start by marking “Heritage of the Xandim (Chronicles of the Xandim, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heritage of the Xandim (Chronicles of the Xandim, #1)

Heritage of the Xandim (Chronicles of the Xandim #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This series returns to the lands of Aurian, and is set in the distant past of the Magefolk, when even the land was a different shape, and the sea between the northlands and the south did not exist.
This was the time when the Artefacts of Power were created, and lives were torn apart by the Mage Wars.
In those days, the Magefolk were comprised of four disparate races: the h
Published October 1st 2009 by Gollancz (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heritage of the Xandim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heritage of the Xandim

Elfear
In terms of the storyline and mythology I loved it. It was rich and complex and I kind of liked the human-slave inequality theme.

However I thought the characters were flat and unbelievable. They would be competent, potentially interesting people for the most part, and then would suddenly have a fit of rage/angst/sadness/love that is only slightly explained, and then proceed to behave in a ridiculous manner different from how they usually are. (looking at you, Tiolani, Iriana, Chiannala)

I'm not
Susan
Aug 28, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014books
In those days, the Magefolk were comprised of four disparate races: the human Wizards, masters of earth magic; the winged Skyfolk, who controlled the magic of air; the Leviathan, who ruled the power
Ruth
Aug 13, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
c2009: A pleasant enough book but I did not realise that it was a prequel to Ms Furey's previous books - which are a personal no no. Now the cover does not mention any of this and nor does the blurb on the inside sleeve so by the time I realised this (ok so I am not that quick off the blocks) I was already a good couple of pages in to the book. Again,a personal failing is that I do not like to have a dreaded DNF next to a book title. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half but then the story just we ...more
Hester Stasse
Feb 01, 2014 Hester Stasse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Original main characters, an interesting storyline which dragged on a bit in places due to elaborate background descriptions, and an ending which was a bit too fast to my liking sums up this novel quite well. Would have been good to mention that this was only part one of two? Three? More books? And I have to say that I was put off regularly by Furey's habit of sprinkling unusual words into the text. My grasp of the English language is pretty good, but I regularly encountered words which made me ...more
J.F.R. Coates
Feb 24, 2014 J.F.R. Coates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heritage is a thoroughly enjoyable read, and it is good getting the chance to explore the backstory behind the Artefacts of Power series. However, it does seem like a few plot points are rather contrived to better fit the lore already established in the later timeline.
I find it difficult to truly care for these characters as much as I do for Aurian, Anvar, and company, but would definitely recommend it to anyone who has read Artefacts of Power.
Jenny Thompson
This is one of my all time favorite books! It can be a little confusing at first(there are so many characters and sub plots) but once you really get into it, you won't be able to put it down. Filled with magic, mystery and a touch of romance, it leaves you constantly wanting more!
Ali Molenaar
May 05, 2015 Ali Molenaar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Meer van Maggie Furey gelezen, maar deze viel wat tegen, wellicht omdat ik niet al te veel sympathie had voor de hoofdpersonen.
Zeker het einde was wat teleurstellend, soort Lord of the Rings groepje dat op jacht ging naar een bijzondere steen.
Liz Flayol
Jun 14, 2016 Liz Flayol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author never lets me down.
Holds your interest from start to finish.
Loved it
Davor
Aug 06, 2015 Davor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I loved it, thats enough :)
Brenda
Sep 04, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh I wish part two came out!!! some websites tell me 2009 (we're now in 2012) and other site
don't know. Amazon doesn't have it. Just wrote an email to Mynx, the publisher here in Holland if
they have any idea :(
Yvonne Boag
A solid three and a half stars.
Char
Char marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Co de Feijter
Co de Feijter marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Deanna Donovan
Deanna Donovan rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Olivia Davies
Olivia Davies is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2016
Stalfos
Stalfos marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Katrijn
Katrijn rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Anne-marie Toms
Anne-marie Toms marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Carol Robertson
Carol Robertson marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Frank S.
Frank S. rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Die Stimme der Magie (Ulldart - Die Dunkle Zeit, #5)
  • The Widow and the King (Cup of the World, #2)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1 (Graphic Novel)
  • Die Rose von Illian (Die Götterkriege, #1)
  • Wit'ch Gate (The Banned and the Banished, #4)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
  • Blood Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #2)
  • Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason, #3)
  • Journeys to the Heartland (The Wolves of Time, #1)
  • The Friendship
  • Midnight (Katriona,  #3)
  • Wolves of the Witchwood (The Impossible Quest #2)
  • Destiny (Trinity, #3)
Maggie Furey was born in North East England. She is a qualified teacher, but has also reviewed books on BBC Radio Newcastle, been an advisor in the Durham Reading Resources Centre and organized children's book fairs. She now lives in County Wicklow in Ireland.
More about Maggie Furey...

Chronicles of the Xandim (2 books)
  • Exodus of the Xandim (Chronicles of the Xandim, #2)