Start by marking “For the Roses (Rose, #1)” as Want to Read:
For the Roses (Rose, #1)

For the Roses (Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  11,218 Ratings  ·  370 Reviews
Mary Rose Clayborne tinggal dengan keempat kakak laki-lakinya yang overprotektif di sebuah kota kecil bernama Blue Belle, di pegunungan Montana, Amerika. Sewaktu masih bayi, Mary Rose dibuang oleh pengasuhnya ke tempat sampah dan diselamatkan oleh keempat kakak angkatnya. Untuk melindunginya, keempat kakak Mary Rose berjanji untuk saling menjaga dan membentuk keluarga.

Sete
Paperback, Indonesian Edition, 603 pages
Published February 2010 by Dastan (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about For the Roses, please sign up.

Rachel Depends on the 7th grader- I would have read it in the 7th grade and it would have been fine. I haven't read it in years and it depends on your…moreDepends on the 7th grader- I would have read it in the 7th grade and it would have been fine. I haven't read it in years and it depends on your concerns. If its about the topics, it is probably fine- there isn't anything in it that he/she won't see on the CW. Level wise, the only difficulty might be historical references that wouldn't have been studied in school that some readers that age can be thrown by.(less)

Kristen
5–This Book Owns My Heart–Stars

photo Attachment-1-2.gif

I can't even begin to express how much I love this story. I'm a HUGE Julie Garwood fan and I pretty much love any historical romance she writes, but this book stole my heart like few of her other stories have.

This heartwarming book is a little different than Garwood's usual fast-paced, fun-loving, and whimsical romances. It's longer, is more drawn out, and doesn't just center on the love story. For the Roses is a tale about family, friendship, and love. It featur
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
From the cover:
The Clayborne brothers were a rough gang of street urchins -- until they found an abandoned baby girl in a New York City alley, named her Mary Rose, and headed to Blue Belle, Montana, to raise her to be a lady. They became a family -- held together by loyalty and love if not blood -- when suddenly a stranger threatened to tear them apart...Lord Harrison Stanford MacDonald brandished a six-shooter and a swagger, but he soon proved to be a gentleman to the core. The brothers taught
Zumbagirl
Normally, I love Julie Garwood. Maybe I've changed because this book kind of annoyed me. It was way too long - could have and should have been edited back at least 100 pages. Her writing style is very simple - maybe too simple. I liked all of the characters and the premise was good. But something was missing from this compared to some of her other books. The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) by Julie Garwood and The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) by Julie Garwood are still my favorites!
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
3.5 very slow moving stars. Omg this book had so very much going on. I really loved a whole lot of it but sometimes you just want things to move on. I was very invested in this couple though. My goodness Julie Garwood can write a hero who absolutely knows what he wants and doesn't waver. I adored Harrison and the heroine Mary Rose was so good hearted. The whole family was so layered and each character was vibrant and adorable. I only felt the story moved too slow. I still am a self confessed Jul ...more
Arch
Kathie (katmom)
Jun 06, 2011 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
A friend, Sandi Layne, told me that THIS was the Julie Garwood book to read. She was right!

I LOVED this from the moment the four boys found Sidney who turns out to be a girl. These young men know what FAMILY is and they raise Mary Rose to be an articulate, knowledgeable, kind, caring woman.

Each chapter ends with a letter to Mama Rose, the eldest brother's mama, who has become the mama to all five of them. It doesn't matter that four of the five have NEVER even met her, she's their MAMA and throu
Kathleen
3.5 stars. The story is heartwarming, smexy and sweet, but too slow. I do love Julie Garwood, but this American historical is not her best. I did like the hero, though. Garwood's heroes are always hot. Harrison is Scottish, big and braw. For some time, Mary Rose thinks he is a mild-mannered man, not familiar with guns or fights. This misperception created some mildly amusing scenes. I liked the four brothers and Mary Rose, too.

The best parts of the book are the first chapters (the boys find a ba
Melanie
I've put off reading this one for quite a while, but I ended up reading it all in one sitting last night: this book didn't have what I usually enjoy in HR(the big villain) but it was very well written, and I loved Mary Rose and her brothers' relationship.. Harrison was great, and the interaction between himself and the Clayborne family was very enjoyable and fun.. I did like Mary Rose, but there were times where she grated on my nerves a teeny tiny bit, especially at the beginning:-) And I also ...more
Laura V.
Pamela(AllHoney)
One of my faves. The prologue begins the story before the American Civil War. Then fast forward to chapter one and it is years later after the war. The heroine, Mary Rose, has arrived back to Blue Belle and her loving family after being away at school in St Louis. Mary Rose was found in a basket in an alley as a infant and raised by 4 "brothers". Filled with humor and a few heart wrenching moments I highly recommend this one.
Christy
Despite its flaws--and there are many--I enjoyed this story of an unconventional family in the Wild West. I enjoyed it enough to check out the sequels from the library and am now looking forward to reading a trilogy of novellas about three of the brothers.
Elise Wilson
Apr 28, 2011 Elise Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It has everything I look for in a good read. I liked the hero, Harrison and heroine Mary Rose. In fact, I loved the entire Clayborne family. Garwood does an excellent job of creating four brothers who personalities are distinct and whose gifts are unique. I also liked that the brothers came from diverse racial/ethnic backgrounds. I don't see that too often in this genre. The storyline itself was different and I liked it.

And while there is the element of romance in t
Trang Nguyen
This was a VERY long book that kept me turning the pages like there was no tomorrow....

The story was focused on Harrison and Mary Rose the H/H of the book, but there was a lot to be said of Mary Rose's brothers who I'm sure are in the books that follow.

Mary Rose lives in a unique household in a small town called Blue Belle, Montana. She resides with her four adoptive older brothers who have raised her since she was an infant. She has grown up being loved, loving others, working hard, and loving
Sue
Re-Listened to 3/2016:

Love, love this title. I truly love the historical romances that include big chunks of the American Wild West (Montana to be specific in this book). You have the polish of the aristocracy, but it blends so well with making it in the American west. Which all kudos to JG for pulling it off. The opening is excellent, 4 Orphan boys in 1860's NYC find a baby dumped in the garbage and decide they must make something of themselves for her.

Narrator did a fabulous job, so many male
Anita
I love Julie Garwood and this short book is a western romance. Julie Garwood brings to life the story of four orphan boys who find a baby girl and rescue her from a garbage heap in 1860 New York. The boys name her Mary Rose Clayborne and raise her on their own after moving West to Montana Territory.

The story of how she ended up abandoned and the mystery surrounding her is uncovered when a Scot, Harrison McDonald, comes all the way to Montana from London looking for the long lost daughter of his
Cyndi
Mar 03, 2012 Cyndi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After all my bitching on my review, why didn't I give it 1 star?? I don't know. I guess because ... I didn't hate it and I'm kind of interpreting a 1 as "hate."

What I didn't like:

1. Eleanor or Ellen or whoever the hell Mary Rose's friend is
2. Cole
3. Adam
4. Blue Belle and the Judge

Do I want to read the others? I don't know. I was kind of hoping Cole and Ellie would hook up and since that seems out of the question (I re
Carrie
Romance Lovers book Club pick for June.

There's nothing really wrong with the book, but I couldn't get into it. I just wasn't interested in the characters and the story looks predictable. And I have to say, the characters were all just a little too perfect. Former street rats who are highly educated, play piano, are the "best" at shooting, or horse whispering, or whatever they do seems unlikely. Plus they now own a big ranch. And Mary Rose is the type of heroine that bores me to tears. She's "spu
Kristen
Dec 22, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Julie Garwood books and this book did not disappoint me. The weekend I read it I wanted to read a quick book but I only had this book. For the Roses is rather lengthly but well worth it.
The story starts off with four street boys finding a baby girl in a dumpster in New York City just before the Civil War. The boys decide to keep her and want to raise her to be a proper woman. Most of the book takes place after the boys and Mary Rose have grown into adulthood but they reflect on growing u
Juliana Philippa
The second half was better than the first half, but this book was still my least favorite Julie Garwood book. Normally, I love her work, but too many things in this book drove me nuts. Eleanor was wholly unnecessary and although Garwood heroine's are always beautiful/smart/innocent/naive/etc., this one was just a little too much for me; they're always somewhat clueless and kind of head-in-the-clouds, but Mary Rose was more than I could handle.
Lisarenee
Feb 18, 2010 Lisarenee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Definitely should have read this book first before going on to other books in this series. About three discarded children who banded together while living off the streets of New York in the 1800's. One of the things that secured their bond was a little girl they came to call Mary Rose, whom they found abandoned in a dumpster and saved. They decide to form their own family and raise the little girl as their sister, although none of them are related.
Lissa
Mar 20, 2016 Lissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I find myself re-reading this whenever I need a comfort read. The love that the brothers have for Mary Rose is just stunning and can only be eclipsed by the love Harrison feels. Sigh. I'm already getting misty-eyed just thinking about it!
Songül
Feb 19, 2013 Songül rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uzun süredir elime çeviri kalitesi sayesinde almaktan çekindiğim bir JG kitabıydı ..Mary Rose ile Harrison arasındaki ilişkinin zamanla aşka dönüşmesi ve bu arada yaşananlar ve diyaloglar keyiflidi. Adam , douglas , cole ve travis in yer aldığı diyalogları çok sevdim ....
Huniya
DNF at 35%

Honestly, this kind of writing was something an amateur like me produced in 9th grade. The characters were wooden and one-dimensional. Don't get me started on the romance.
Hannah
May 11, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book.
John Yelverton
I thought this book was going to be as great as the Hallmark movie. It wasnt even close. ...more
everything
หยิบมาอานอีกรอบหลังจากทีไดอานไปเมือหลายปีกอนกยังชอบอยู
ความรักของพีนองครอบครัวนีมันโคตรบันเทิงโดยเฉพาะโคลกวนตีนดี

และความดรามา!!
İlkim
Yine harika bir hikaye çıkarmış yazar. Mary Rose ve abilerinin hikayesi inanılmaz sevimli, kesinlikle o abilerin de hikayelerini okuyacağım.
Ira
Feb 28, 2017 Ira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
What a wonderful story!
I'll write my review later:)
Canan  ^^
Nov 14, 2011 Canan ^^ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wid
Adam..Travis..Cole..Douglas…
Birbirinden farklı bu dört kafadarın yolları şehrin arka sokaklarında kesişir bir gün…
Her birinin hikayesi,özellikleri farklı olsa da bir şekilde bir arada kalmayı başarmışlardır.Küçücük yaşlarına rağmen bir çete kurmuşlardır ve kendi yağlarında kavrulmuşlardır.Taki hiç beklemedikleri bir geceye kadar…
O gece ne mi oldu?Mary Rose adını verdikleri şirin mi şirin 4 aylık bir bebek buldular.Bebeğin bir sepet içinde çöpe atıldığını görmeleriyle onu aralarına almaları arası
Let's Talk About ...: For The Roses (Rose #1) 29 37 Sep 15, 2016 02:28PM
The Challenge Fac...: ✎ Kelly & Drew ~ For the Roses 2 12 Jul 31, 2013 10:30AM
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • A Heart So Wild (Straton Family, #1)
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Keegan's Lady (Keegan-Paxton #1)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • The Wild Baron (Baron, #1)
  • Only His (Only Series, #1)
  • Sing My Name
  • The Conquest (Peregrine #2)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) (5 books)
  • One Pink Rose (Rose, #2)
  • One White Rose (Rose #3)
  • One Red Rose (Rose, #4)
  • Come the Spring (Rose, #5)

“If you begin to give away parts of yourself, eventually you'll give it all. And once you've lost yourself, haven't you lost everything?” 93 likes
“I'm wearing clothes in my thoughts and dreams though. What am I wearing in yours?" she asked.

"Me."

Conversation between Mary Rose and Harrison in Julie Garwood's FOR THE ROSES”
18 likes