Start by marking “How to Stay Alive in the Woods” as Want to Read:
How to Stay Alive in the Woods

How to Stay Alive in the Woods

Camping enthusiasts, hunters, and even the occasional hiker will benefit from this all-inclusive guide to the woods which offers tips on finding food, water, and shelter, and reveals fascinating secrets of the wilderness.
Published May 1st 1962 by Collier Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about How to Stay Alive in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stay Alive in the Woods

Will Marshall
Sep 11, 2011 Will Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-read
I have owned a copy of this book since I was about 12 years old, and have read it cover-to-cover countless times. How to Stay Alive in the Woods is perhaps on of the most comprehensive and best-explained survival books available. The book was obviously written in a different age, which adds a certain charm - and some decidedly non-p.c. moments - to the narration.

If you spend any significant amount of time camping away from the daily conveniences of modern society, if you are planning a trip into
Martin Gibbs
Jan 09, 2012 Martin Gibbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad left me this book when he passed and as I read it, I realize how he pulled off all of those wonderful survival skills when we were canoeing deep in Canada.

This book is wonderful, the advice is valid and it works. I have a lot of Angier's other books and they are just as good; this man knows his stuff and knows how to survive without cell phones, ipads, or electricity.

My copy has a ton of scribbled notes from dad, which verify and confirm that Angier knew what he was talking about.
Dave
Sep 18, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic survival book by a skilled woodsman, but the main charm of the book for me is the wacky, roundabout syntax. Like this example about surviving on beavers: "If you have a gun and enough time at your disposal to wait for a sure shot, an often productive campaign is to steal to a concealed vantage on the downward side of a beaver pond."
Noah Green
I found this at the Goodwill recently. I am learning much about skinning frogs and porcupines for sustenance.
Jen
Mar 30, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toolbox, shivers
Better than the Bible for a sense of security and cure for insomnia. Perfect present for all those counting the days until Doomsday.
Melissa Hatcher
Feb 25, 2016 Melissa Hatcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I almost got this five years ago, until I found the USAF Survival Handbook, could only afford one and made a decision.
I'm glad I got this one now, it was a good read, but it isn't replacing my USAF Survival Handbook in my camping/hiking bag.
Geoff Balme
Jul 21, 2016 Geoff Balme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had a copy for years and have referred to it off and on -- while I don't ever want to have to test any of what the book offers, there are certain comforts one can take from it in terms of survival. While it would be uncomfortable, it's not that hard! Angier is very "old school" optimistic and enjoyable to read.
Pat Gibbons
Aug 07, 2009 Pat Gibbons rated it liked it
this book saved my life at least three times
Megan
Jan 03, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth it.
Patrick
Jan 19, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but I enjoyed learning about his experiences and how he wrote about them.
Maitreyee
May 16, 2016 Maitreyee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ended up purchasing the Kindle version for $1.99 and I thought it would be a good read for when I go hiking or camping. I ended up liking it so much I got a hard copy plus Bradford's copy of "Edible Plants." I believe that you should have two copies of this book, one in your personal library and one to bring with you while you're having fun outside. I liked how this book was updated, even though some parts are a bit outdated they're still great to know. I feel that I learned a lot and I will b ...more
Deke
Sep 17, 2014 Deke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it, largely because the writing is unintentionally hilarious. I picked it up never having been a boy scout, hoping to learn something about fashioning a bivouac or orienteering, which I did, but my greatest joy came from reading the unnecessarily complex sentences that scream "I'm not just a crazy guy living in a cabin in the woods!"

Example, by no means atypical: "But it was because of this very characteristic, the fact that acids released by such stimuli as prolonged fatigue and frig
Micheal
As the title suggests, this book contains a vast amount of survival information for anyone planning a wilderness excursion in North America. The prose is mostly dry with few anecdotal passages, but the result is a dense collection of survival tactics and strategy. A paperback edition would make a practical addition to your wilderness outfit—so long as it was contained in a waterproof vessel of some sort. The recently rereleased hardbound edition is beautifully designed and looks handsome on a sh ...more
711Nathan
Jan 23, 2011 711Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book so far.It really has everything you need to know about wilderness survival.I also al the pictures explaining things, I've noticed in most survival manuals that the pictures are very small and hard to understand.The writing is also good and i especially like the rubberized cover.This book is a must read for any person interested in survival, It has everything you would need to know.I would give this book five stars!!!
Shawn Vargas
Sep 07, 2016 Shawn Vargas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The table of contents isnt how It should be taken

First chapter, food. Really? If one is facing harsh climates I'm gonna be concerned about the menu?! The rest of the book has good info & perspective but just the way it started irked me. Its always good, I think to read as many books on any topic to get a sense of your own perspective. That being said, I'm putting up a yurt, with a trough a fire pit and a nice comfy sleeping spot, before I yell for a waiter
Stephanie Hatch
Mar 21, 2016 Stephanie Hatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-yourself
This book was very through. It was really mind expanding especially if one has never really thought about worst case scenario roughing it. This is not a beginners book though. It assumes wrongly that some measure of survival skills and common sense gained from being outside beyond stepping from your house to your car is had by the reader. There were a few typos here and there.
Warren
Mar 17, 2008 Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Warren by: Joel
This book could save your life if you were stranded in the wilderness. It's a clear-cut, well written book with good diagrams and drawings that clearly show you how to use what's available to survive. The pages are nice, thick stock, and the cover is even rubberized to prevent the book from getting wet! I highly reccommend this to anyone.
Clay Davis
Jan 05, 2013 Clay Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. With an original publication date of 1956 some of the information was dated and the language has that dated overly formal tone. Despite that, it is better than rotting your mind with an episode of Bear Grylls not to mention any of the crazies riding his coattails. Sort through the "old-school" and note the timeless.

This book was a gift and overall I say "thank you".
Frances
Jun 23, 2013 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of useful information about what to eat and where to find it if you should be lost in the North American woods. The best part about it is the 1950's prose, where Bradford Angier sounds like he came from the movie True Grit (2010). I liked to imagine that the Bear Man was narrating the whole book.
Stan Bartkus
May 24, 2015 Stan Bartkus is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm treating this as a read & do.
I take this book, once a month, for a walk into the woods/fields around a wilderness resort.
Last month's project was to find & eat Fig 7/Purslane, and Fig 8/Chickory. Chickory is a tasty version of Endive when boiled twice and served with butter, salt & pepper. Yum.

Heidi
Jul 14, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well lets be honest i haven't read the whole thing but i'll be bringing it with me when the you know what goes down! At which time i'm sure I will be reading the rest. And hey it's got a rubber cover so it's water proof. This guy thinks of everything.
Robert Lewter
Apr 04, 2013 Robert Lewter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this book since I was 12. This is probably the best wilderness survival book ever written. Bradford Angier was prepping before it was a fad. I even gave my daughter a copy, because, God help us, I fear she will need it.
Stephen
May 29, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an EXCELLENT how to book for wilderness survival. It has lots of pictures and diagrams. The illustrations are well done and show exactly what you need to know. It is great for adults or kids who want to learn.
Andy Weston
Sep 16, 2007 Andy Weston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mountain people
Read very many times between 1989 and now. Absolutely fantastic stuff. The original bushcraft, and a must in any mountain person's library. My favourite is either how to make sunglasses from bark, or how a vegetarian can enjoy a fresh roadkill.
Casey
Jul 04, 2014 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learn many things in this survival guide even if you don't plan on spending time surviving alone in the woods. It presents a very diverse range of topics and makes things simple to understand and learn.
Jim Morrison
Looks like it was written or at least copyrighted in 1956. That explains why the material is so dated. Of course some survival techniques are timeless, but equipment available certainly has changed. No index. Needs to be revised and updated. I was disappointed.
Vincent
Mar 24, 2009 Vincent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Loads of useful information broken down into accessible sections: Food, Shelter, Orientation, Safety, etc. Also, many diagrams and drawings showing how to build or do lifesaving activities. A handy book to store with your camping gear, just in case.
Ben
Aug 27, 2007 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
how can you not read this? how to eat grubs for health and strength
Jennyo
May 27, 2010 Jennyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I found this one in the back seat of my friends car. What a read! Very useful and interesting. You never know when you'll find yourself without a grocery store...
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis