Start by marking “Lessons in French” as Want to Read:
Lessons in French

Lessons in French

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  2,295 Ratings  ·  272 Reviews
Laura Kinsale's unique and powerfully written love stories transcend the romance genre. In this, her first new book in five years, she delivers a poignant, funny, sexy, Regency romance sure to delight her many fans and attract a whole new readership.

Trevelyan and Callie are childhood sweethearts with a taste for adventure, until the fateful day her father discovers them em
Published February 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in French

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Laura Kinsale is back....finally! And this book was a breath of fresh air. I felt as though I was watching one of my beloved BBC period historical movies when I was reading this book (hint, hint). Instead of writing a historical romance in the modern style, Ms. Kinsale wrote a romance that reads like historical fiction. There is a strong romance here, but it is well-integrated into a story about two people who have led full lives, although their hearts have always been entwined since they were t ...more
Viri
Lo deje al 46%

Creo que mi encantamiento duro los primeros dos capítulos... pensaba que iba a ser una de esas lecturas de 10 por tan buenas recomendaciones. Es una lástima que no pudiera disfrutarla igual.

Me aburrió demasiado y cuando menos lo pensé ya iba por el 40 y tantos por ciento y me había saltado un montón de hojas así que mejor me di por vencida.
No me enganchó la historia y lo del toro no me gustó. No me hizo reír a carcajadas aunque si es notable el nuevo tono un poco más ágil y diverti
Caz
I've given this an A+ for performance and a B+ for content at AudioGals.

I’m a sucker for a good “second chance” romance, and given that Lessons in French is the tale of two lovers reunited after a decade apart, it was bound to be right up my street. Throw in the words “narrated by Nicholas Boulton” and not only is it right up my street, it’s got its boots off warming its toes in front of the fire at the pub round the corner!

Lady Callista Taillefaire, daughter of the Earl of Shelford, and Trevely
FlibBityFLooB
Started out promising, but I got very tired of the story. I would have renamed the book "THE FRENCHIE'S BULL FIASCO" instead of Lessons in French.
How much can one withstand reading about bulls in a historical novel? Bleh.

I was expecting so much more. Oh well. I have read other books by Laura Kinsale and enjoyed them, so don't let me discourage you. You may like the bull fiasco ;)
Juliana Philippa
I think my constant status updates say it all, but I really enjoyed this book. There were some absolutely adorable and sweet moments between the hero and heroine, as well as some extremely funny ones. Kinsale is a talented writer and she really excels at character creation; both Callie and Trev seemed like people you know or could know in your everyday life. They're complex, yet completely accessible and believable.

{ What I Loved }
* The hero - Trev is a delicious hero and I thought he was really
Katie(babs)
Jan 20, 2010 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Callista Taillefaire is described as “a gifted wallflower”, who at the age of twenty-seven is a spinster who blends very well into the wallpaper that people don’t even notice she’s there. Callista knows she doesn’t have much to recommend to herself because she is plain with red hair, very stiff and shy with gentlemen and has such fair skin, that when the wind blows, she becomes splotchy. She’s been jilted three times by men she was engaged to, but for some reason or another, gave an excuse ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 21, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
My March local reading group selection. I haven’t read a Laura Kinsale novel in years. She hasn’t written one in years either. Her book Flowers from the Storm was one of my favorite reads back before I overdosed on long, angsty, historical romance novels. I’ve taken a very long break from historical romance but I think I’m ready to slowly delve back in with this here book.

Lady Callista Taillefaire (Callie) is cute and has a tremendous fortune but because she is painfully shy she’s been left at t
Melissa
Dec 04, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really delightful! A solid 4.5 rating, I'd say. It's much lighter in tone than the other Kinsale books I've read, but many of her hallmarks are still there -- depth of characterization, lovely and insightful prose, and a story that grabs me emotionally and stays with me after I've shut the book. There's a lot of humor in the story, but also a vein of melancholy and loneliness as the hero and heroine, both of whom are quite lovable, finally find their way to each other.

I typically expect a novel
Mmmm... Lo primero que me viene a la cabeza al pensar en este libro es "no ha estado mal".

La verdad es que no he conseguido conectar del todo con los personajes, y me ha costado más de medio libro terminar de meterme en la historia. De hecho, la primera mitad del libro se me ha hecho un poco aburrida, y tenía la impresión de que la trama no terminaba de avanzar.

En la segunda mitad parece que la historia remonta, la trama avanza y hay varios momentos que me han parecido divertidos.

Un libro que
Elizabeth
Kinsale is the gold standard in historical romance! Funny, sad, witty, and deeply sensual, LESSONS IN FRENCH is an exquisite romance and an instant classic. Laura Kinsale’s writing is such a pleasure I know that I’ll be rereading LESSONS IN FRENCH for years to come.
Lady Wesley
I find myself surprisingly 'meh' about this book. It's a sweet romance about young lovers reunited years later, and I thoroughly enjoyed that part. I became annoyed, however, with some of the comedy -- the bull being stolen and the livestock show were just distractions to me. Also, the way Trev kept popping in and out of Callie's house, his mother's house, and the hotel were irritating. (view spoiler) ...more
Wicked Incognito Now
Dec 24, 2009 Wicked Incognito Now rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I got to the end and really wanted to cry. Not just because it was over and I think Laura Kinsale is the romance novel priestess, but because it was so darn touching!

There were, unfortunately, quite a few misunderstandings. I've said it before, I HATE THOSE. But they went down well. Didn't give me too much heartburn, and the characters were just so darn flawed and likeable that I couldn't help love the story through and through.
Ruth
I really enjoyed this. I loved the rural setting - it's so easy to forget that Regency society would have only spent a relatively short portion of the year in London, and that this was the period in English history when farming, animal breeding and agricultural innovations were rapidly developing as a precursor to the Industrial Revolution. It makes such a refreshing change to have a Regency HR set outside London, and actually set in the fields and cowsheds of the aristocracy, whose wealth was e ...more
Kathleen
Best narrator ever! Not the best book, though, even though I love Kinsale. The first half was great -- fast paced, funny, sweet, and with fabulous main couple. However, in the second half, the heroine's inability to trust in Trev's love -- fueled by her low self-esteem -- got very old. After he gave his heart to her for the nth time, only to be stomped upon, distrusted, and rejected - and replaced with an unworthy suitor -- I wanted to toss the book against the wall. I laughed in the first half. ...more
Niusa
Mar 03, 2017 Niusa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ★★★⋆
Una vez le pillé el punto de humor al libro disfrute con la relación de Trev y Callie, los diálogos entre ellos son tan divertidos por disparatados y los pensamientos de Callie tan fantasiosos que no fui capaz de borrar la sonrisa de mi cara. Lo que no terminó de convencerme fue como se resolvió el tema del chantaje y la herencia de Callie, para mi gusto la autora no hiló fino esa parte y me dejó con la sensación de que faltaba algo o que algo ahí no terminaba de encajar.
Sally
Jul 13, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't going to be a very long review because I don't really feel that there's anything new that I haven't said in a previous review. I've either loved or really enjoyed pretty much everything that Laura Kinsale has written and nothing changes here. I must admit I prefer the tortured heroes and big adventures but there's still something lovely about her more lighthearted books. Lessons in French isn't the most memorable story and doesn't have the most memorable characters but it all still ga ...more
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Humor, amor y enredos. Una novela deliciosa con un protagonista canalla y adorable. La genial reseña de Kim aquí http://alacamaconunlibro.blogspot.com...
*.Amaia.* BlackMagicRose
Slow paced for the most part, though I quite enjoyed the second half of the book. The storyline lacks complexity, this doesn't feel like Kinsale except for some of the dense descriptions and extensive vocabulary.
Best part? hilarious moments the MCs share plus a little bit of hotness :)
Carolina
Me ha encantado, pero...

El profesor de francés cuenta una historia entretenida pero poco rebuscada; la autora nos narra los problemas que surgen alrededor de Lady Callista y Trevelyan,compañeros de juegos de la infancia y que vuelven a encontrarse después de varios años alejados el uno del otro.

Por el título me esperaba que la historia fuera diferente, es decir me esperaba que hubiera un tutor de francés y que la protagonista sería su alumna pero nada de eso, Trev no le enseña francés sino a mi
D.L.
Jan 27, 2010 D.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book, but overall I really did like and enjoy it. It was the first Kinsale I've ever read, though I do have a copy of Flowers From the Storm waiting patiently on my shelf.

It worked well as a light comedy, though a times I felt confused about what was going on. Either too much action was going on too follow or it seemed like characters were saying (or thinking) one thing and doing another. Often Callie and Trev seemed to be having these internal angst moments where
Terra
Jan 26, 2010 Terra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale is an adorable Regency story that is sure to tickle your fancy. A story of the magic of love being time tested and still able to stand up to the task. A story of the English breed lady and the French scoundrel that will show there are indeed no bounds where true love is concerned.

Lady Callie is not a stunning beauty especially in a plain dress and muck boots that she wears to take care of her cattle. She is however a gem of the highest quality on the inside. Sh
Blodeuedd Finland
Trev and Callie had a thing when they were teens, then he left for 10 years and she was left at the altar a lot, and is now less than a wallflower. Will they ever meet again? Well of course they will and...

He is rich and handsome.
She is a nobody, but does have a big dowry. She also likes bulls.
He may have secrets.
She lives with her cousin and his wife.

They flirt, and how fun they have at it. They were they talked to each other, aye, they were perfect, but those silly idiots! Argghhh, he is all n
Zumbagirl
Lessons in French - finally, a great title and it actually fits with the book - is the first book I've read by Laura Kinsale - and I really enjoyed it! The first half of the book moved slower than the second half and I had a hard time grasping Ms. Kinsale's writing style. Don't know why, but some authors write in such a way that I devour the book and it's all easy reading (ie, Lisa Kleypas, Julie Garwood, Eloisa James). This book wasn't like that; it actually required some effort and so
Sandy M
Jul 26, 2011 Sandy M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
When I heard Ms. Kinsale had another release coming out, I’m sure I was just excited as the rest of her fans. I’ve read only a few of her previous works, with Flowers from the Storm being my favorite. It’s an all-time favorite for me, in fact. I’m wondering if that’s why I’m just a tad disappointed in this book. Now, that’s not to say that LiF is not a good book. It’s just not what I expected, perhaps.

And maybe that’s not fair of me. After I finished this story, I read somewhere that Ms. Kinsale
Jacqui
Mar 15, 2010 Jacqui rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A new book by Laura Kinsale. Of couse I wanted to like this, I wanted to devour it like I have just about all of her other books, richly textured as they are. But unfortunately, I didn't. I was really disappointed in this book. Maybe because its written by Laura Kinsale, I judged it more harshly that I would have any other romance novel. The story initially seems interesting enough. Lady Callista is in her late twenties and has been jilted by three men. In addition to this, she had a childhood r ...more
LaFleurBleue
Jan 13, 2013 LaFleurBleue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite different from other Laura Kinsale's books I previously read, as the angst was limited to the bare minimum and the overall tone fell much more towards romantic comedy than tragedy
And this worked out pretty well for me, as I deeply enjoyed reading that book
Which was all the more surprising that I am not a huge fan of high-school sweethearts reuniting stories, in that case teenage neighbours. Characters were fully-dimensional and extremely engaging. And the overall story/plot played well alo
Lady Wesley
Nov 02, 2014 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
It is, by now, superfluous for me to describe how good a narrator Nicholas Boulton is. You simply have to take my word for it, along with the word of every reviewer on audible.com.

In the case of Lessons in French, I wasn't crazy about the book when I read it, but Mr. Boulton single-handedly turned it into a five-star read. His narrating voice is impeccable, but it is his ability to find just the right voice for a wide variety of characters that is truly stunning. A consumptive French duchesse.
Jacqueline
Fulfilling regency. It was lighter not totally full of angst as LK's books can be but there was an angsty element. The hero who made good but not in the way he wanted to so he felt a failure. I really liked that they had been childhood sweethearts and that they had always pined for each other. In fact I would have enjoyed it had the book started when they were young. This was one of the most realistic portrayals of premarital sex of most any historical I've read. Even though they didn't go all t ...more
Mona
Oct 03, 2015 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha sido una lectura la mar de agradable. Con sus momentos románticos y sus momentos más cómicos. Además no se centra única y exclusivamente en el romance entre los protagonistas y eso se agradece. Y la complicidad que hay entre la pareja protagonista es simplemente genial.
Es un libro de romántica histórica que recomendaría mucho.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 08:51AM
  • The Portrait
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • The Proposition
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • Scandal
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • Compromised
  • Bliss (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #1)
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • His at Night
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Wild at Heart
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)
Laura Kinsale is a New York Times bestselling author and both winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She become a romance writer after six years as a geologist--a career which consisted of getting out of bed in the middle of the night and driving hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and at
More about Laura Kinsale...

“My God." He pushed away from the bedpost. "Friends! And do you fall into bed with any man who's 'dear' to you? How am I to take that?"

"Of course I don't." She stood up, letting the knotted scarf slip away. "I can't seem to help myself. With you. About that. It's extremely vexing."

"You're quite right on that count," he said sullenly. "I'm damned vexed. I'd like to vex you right here on the floor, in fact. And the idea of Sturgeon vexing you is enough to dispose me to murder. Is that clear? Do you comprehend me?" He took a reckless stride toward her and caught her chin between his fingers. "I'm not your friend, my lady. I'm your lover.”
9 likes