Start by marking “Lessons in French” as Want to Read:
Lessons in French

Lessons in French

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,502 ratings  ·  199 reviews
In her first new book in five years, Laura Kinsale delivers a poignant, funny, sexy, Regency romance sure to delight her many fans and attract a whole new readership.
Published February 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in French

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Laura Kinsale is back....finally! And this book was a breath of fresh air. I felt as though I was watching one of my beloved BBC period historical movies when I was reading this book (hint, hint). Instead of writing a historical romance in the modern style, Ms. Kinsale wrote a romance that reads like historical fiction. There is a strong romance here, but it is well-integrated into a story about two people who have led full lives, although their hearts have always been entwined since they were t ...more
FlibBityFLooB
Started out promising, but I got very tired of the story. I would have renamed the book "THE FRENCHIE'S BULL FIASCO" instead of Lessons in French.
How much can one withstand reading about bulls in a historical novel? Bleh.

I was expecting so much more. Oh well. I have read other books by Laura Kinsale and enjoyed them, so don't let me discourage you. You may like the bull fiasco ;)
Juliana
I think my constant status updates say it all, but I really enjoyed this book. There were some absolutely adorable and sweet moments between the hero and heroine, as well as some extremely funny ones. Kinsale is a talented writer and she really excels at character creation; both Callie and Trev seemed like people you know or could know in your everyday life. They're complex, yet completely accessible and believable.

{ What I Loved }
* The hero - Trev is a delicious hero and I thought he was really
Katie(babs)
Lady Callista Taillefaire is described as “a gifted wallflower”, who at the age of twenty-seven is a spinster who blends very well into the wallpaper that people don’t even notice she’s there. Callista knows she doesn’t have much to recommend to herself because she is plain with red hair, very stiff and shy with gentlemen and has such fair skin, that when the wind blows, she becomes splotchy. She’s been jilted three times by men she was engaged to, but for some reason or another, gave an excuse ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
My March local reading group selection. I haven’t read a Laura Kinsale novel in years. She hasn’t written one in years either. Her book Flowers from the Storm was one of my favorite reads back before I overdosed on long, angsty, historical romance novels. I’ve taken a very long break from historical romance but I think I’m ready to slowly delve back in with this here book.

Lady Callista Taillefaire (Callie) is cute and has a tremendous fortune but because she is painfully shy she’s been left at t
Wicked Incognito Now
I got to the end and really wanted to cry. Not just because it was over and I think Laura Kinsale is the romance novel priestess, but because it was so darn touching!

There were, unfortunately, quite a few misunderstandings. I've said it before, I HATE THOSE. But they went down well. Didn't give me too much heartburn, and the characters were just so darn flawed and likeable that I couldn't help love the story through and through.
Lady Wesley
I find myself surprisingly 'meh' about this book. It's a sweet romance about young lovers reunited years later, and I thoroughly enjoyed that part. I became annoyed, however, with some of the comedy -- the bull being stolen and the livestock show were just distractions to me. Also, the way Trev kept popping in and out of Callie's house, his mother's house, and the hotel were irritating. (view spoiler) ...more
Ruth
I really enjoyed this. I loved the rural setting - it's so easy to forget that Regency society would have only spent a relatively short portion of the year in London, and that this was the period in English history when farming, animal breeding and agricultural innovations were rapidly developing as a precursor to the Industrial Revolution. It makes such a refreshing change to have a Regency HR set outside London, and actually set in the fields and cowsheds of the aristocracy, whose wealth was e ...more
Kathleen
Best narrator ever! Not the best book, though, even though I love Kinsale. The first half was great -- fast paced, funny, sweet, and with fabulous main couple. However, in the second half, the heroine's inability to trust in Trev's love -- fueled by her low self-esteem -- got very old. After he gave his heart to her for the nth time, only to be stomped upon, distrusted, and rejected - and replaced with an unworthy suitor -- I wanted to toss the book against the wall. I laughed in the first half. ...more
D.L.
I had mixed feelings about this book, but overall I really did like and enjoy it. It was the first Kinsale I've ever read, though I do have a copy of Flowers From the Storm waiting patiently on my shelf.

It worked well as a light comedy, though a times I felt confused about what was going on. Either too much action was going on too follow or it seemed like characters were saying (or thinking) one thing and doing another. Often Callie and Trev seemed to be having these internal angst moments where
Terra
Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale is an adorable Regency story that is sure to tickle your fancy. A story of the magic of love being time tested and still able to stand up to the task. A story of the English breed lady and the French scoundrel that will show there are indeed no bounds where true love is concerned.

Lady Callie is not a stunning beauty especially in a plain dress and muck boots that she wears to take care of her cattle. She is however a gem of the highest quality on the inside. Sh
Elizabeth
Kinsale is the gold standard in historical romance! Funny, sad, witty, and deeply sensual, LESSONS IN FRENCH is an exquisite romance and an instant classic. Laura Kinsale’s writing is such a pleasure I know that I’ll be rereading LESSONS IN FRENCH for years to come.
Lady Wesley
It is, by now, superfluous for me to describe how good a narrator Nicholas Boulton is. You simply have to take my word for it, along with the word of every reviewer on audible.com.

In the case of Lessons in French, I wasn't crazy about the book when I read it, but Mr. Boulton single-handedly turned it into a five-star read. His narrating voice is impeccable, but it is his ability to find just the right voice for a wide variety of characters that is truly stunning. A consumptive French duchesse.
Zumbagirl
Lessons in French - finally, a great title and it actually fits with the book - is the first book I've read by Laura Kinsale - and I really enjoyed it! The first half of the book moved slower than the second half and I had a hard time grasping Ms. Kinsale's writing style. Don't know why, but some authors write in such a way that I devour the book and it's all easy reading (ie, Lisa Kleypas, Julie Garwood, Eloisa James). This book wasn't like that; it actually required some effort and so
Sandy M
When I heard Ms. Kinsale had another release coming out, I’m sure I was just excited as the rest of her fans. I’ve read only a few of her previous works, with Flowers from the Storm being my favorite. It’s an all-time favorite for me, in fact. I’m wondering if that’s why I’m just a tad disappointed in this book. Now, that’s not to say that LiF is not a good book. It’s just not what I expected, perhaps.

And maybe that’s not fair of me. After I finished this story, I read somewhere that Ms. Kinsale
Jacqui
A new book by Laura Kinsale. Of couse I wanted to like this, I wanted to devour it like I have just about all of her other books, richly textured as they are. But unfortunately, I didn't. I was really disappointed in this book. Maybe because its written by Laura Kinsale, I judged it more harshly that I would have any other romance novel. The story initially seems interesting enough. Lady Callista is in her late twenties and has been jilted by three men. In addition to this, she had a childhood r ...more
Jacqueline
Fulfilling regency. It was lighter not totally full of angst as LK's books can be but there was an angsty element. The hero who made good but not in the way he wanted to so he felt a failure. I really liked that they had been childhood sweethearts and that they had always pined for each other. In fact I would have enjoyed it had the book started when they were young. This was one of the most realistic portrayals of premarital sex of most any historical I've read. Even though they didn't go all t ...more
TJ
A light, unique romp about a very shy, bovine loving wallflower who has been jilted three times and her first (and lost) love, a French emigre, fugitive ,boxing bookie... It leans toward the silly at times but you gotta love the creativity!
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
How lovely these two are. So lovely, indeed. I was just about shy of banging my head against the wall, at the very end, with a sinking feeling they'll never come around. But... they are too lovely for that, I suppose.
Mandi Schreiner
REVIEWED BY KATI

Laura Kinsale is widely considered to be among the brightest, most talented romance writers publishing today. She is adept at writing both dark, angsty tales and writing light and sweet romance. And here’s the truth, she’s only written one book that really worked for me. So I asked Mandi whether I could review Lessons in French with some trepidation.

Lady Callista Taillefaire is firmly on the shelf. She’s been left at the altar three times, with three different me, and she truly
Booklover1335
Feb 07, 2010 Booklover1335 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a well written historical romance
Shelves: 2010
I adored this love story. It was enchanting and completely charming! Lessons in French is not an overly dramatic or emotional love story, but it does have humor and LOTS of heart. It's like a good romantic comedy...sometimes it makes you laugh, sometimes it makes you tear up, but at it's core it's all about the love story between the hero and his heroine. It was exactly what I had been craving and didn't even know it.

Callie sees herself as the plain, thrice jilted spinster heiress destined to ra
Jo (My House of Books)
I'll admit it, the jodhpurs made me read this book. It's shallow, I know, but when I saw the cover on Twitter, I knew I had to read it. Regardless of the buzz or the recommendations and agreements that yes, this is a good book.

It was the jodhpurs.

I've never read Ms. Kinsale's work previously, had never heard of her, in fact, until the cover started making its rounds. Now, I'm glad I took a chance.

Lessons in French is artfully crafted and meticulously researched, that much is obvious. A heroine w
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
This book was a bit hard to judge, usually I know exactly what star rating I want to give. But with this one the first half was four star all the way, then dropped a little I think in the second half. I will go with four star though because the writing is very good, the story was original, the hero was original and I loved him and the heroine and this book really made me laugh out loud a few times.

The heroine is a bit of a plain jane, and she is pretty hard on herself as she has been betrothed t
Amber Williams
Reviewed for The Season: http://historicalromancereleases.com/...

I am a newcomer to Laura Kinsale’s work, and Lessons in French was the perfect introduction. From the first chapter, her delightful voice and heartening tone leap straight off the page. This story is crafted with just the right balance of tenderness and sensuality and it didn’t take long to sense that Kinsale is indeed a master at her craft. First, because this is a time period we see often in historical romance, but it felt the op
Amanda Westmont
I definitely enjoyed this book, but it didn't grip me like much of Laura Kinsale's past work has. It was a bit fluffy. In her own note to the reader at the end of the book, she mentioned that this was intentionally light "hedgehog humor," which it certainly was. She further admitted that she finds "writing 'light' to be even more demanding than writing 'dark,'" and unfortunately that was exactly why this book didn't measure up to her other work. It felt forced, as if Kinsale was trying to write ...more
Miki
I was so excited to discover that Laura Kinsale had at last written another book! Most of her earlier books are among my favorites and I frequently recommend them to others. But, alas! what a disappointment. Lessons in French is a pale shadow of this author's earlier books. This one, while supposedly a return to her "lighter" style of writing, never quite made it. The hero remains faceless and you never get to know him. The heroine is insipid. There were too many coincidences that "just happened ...more
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
3.5 starts

Laura Kinsale writes some of the best Historical Romance out there. I'm always eager to read one of her books. Lessons in French is much lighter and quirkier than her previous novels. It took me a while to get into the story but towards the end it had my complete attention. Trev and Callie had quiet the unique relationship. This was a good solid read that held plenty of fun, witty and romantic moments throughout the book. I'm a fan of LK's darker novels, with those tortured heroes that
Lexie
The book's title, LESSONS IN FRENCH, is a clever trick on the author's part. Technically speaking, yes, Callie is learning French from Trev, but probably not in the way her father intended. Despite darker undertones, the book is playful and amusing. The banter between Callie and Trev—even with all the bad memories and hurt feelings—is easy and witty. If sometimes Trev is a trifle more flirty than he is serious, no matter, really, because that is just his way.

(for the full review please refer to
Spuffed
Note: I listened to the audio version of this book.

This was an enjoyable historical romance for me. I have long since abstained from this genre because I was simply not in the mood. However, a series of baby migraines has forced me into audio books and this one came up as recommended so I gave it a try as I find English accents soothing:)

Note that I would have never picked up this book because of it's cover alone but the audio version cover gave me the impression that this book was written way e
Emma
Huge disappointment (even considered not finishing it a couple of times). Why 3 stars ?
- Laura Kinsale's writing : 5 stars.
- Lessons in French itself : 1 star.
This book didn't work for me at all. I expected a light romance but this was more like a light comedy, make it a totally crazy, hard to follow, impossible to understand comedy (well at least for me).
I had a hard time caring for the characters and ultimately I just gave up.
  • The Portrait
  • Scandal
  • Wicked Becomes You
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • The Proposition
  • In For a Penny
  • Compromised
  • Broken Wing
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • His at Night
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Untouched
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
Laura Kinsale is a New York Times bestselling author and both winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She become a romance writer after six years as a geologist--a career which consisted of getting out of bed in the middle of the night and driving hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and at
More about Laura Kinsale...
Flowers from the Storm The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2) For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1) The Prince of Midnight Seize the Fire

“My God." He pushed away from the bedpost. "Friends! And do you fall into bed with any man who's 'dear' to you? How am I to take that?"

"Of course I don't." She stood up, letting the knotted scarf slip away. "I can't seem to help myself. With you. About that. It's extremely vexing."

"You're quite right on that count," he said sullenly. "I'm damned vexed. I'd like to vex you right here on the floor, in fact. And the idea of Sturgeon vexing you is enough to dispose me to murder. Is that clear? Do you comprehend me?" He took a reckless stride toward her and caught her chin between his fingers. "I'm not your friend, my lady. I'm your lover.”
8 likes