Start by marking “Red Mafiya: How the Russian Mob Has Invaded America” as Want to Read:
Red Mafiya:  How the Russian Mob Has Invaded America

Red Mafiya: How the Russian Mob Has Invaded America

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This is the true story of the Russian mob's astonishing infiltration of American business, politics, finance, and professional sports. With a $100,000 contract on his life, investigative journalist Robert I. Friedman has dared to expose the best-kept secret in the world.
Published November 29th 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published May 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Red Mafiya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Mafiya

Jessmccoy
Dec 13, 2007 Jessmccoy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: russophiles
Damn, this book was scary. A complete history of how the Russian mob arrived in America and a profile of its activities up until the year 2000. Written by a journalist, with a flair for the sensational, so some of it was a bit tiresome.

But it was frightening to see how widespread the influence of the mob is, and how deeply ingrained in Russian government, commerce, banking, etc. I'm completely fascinated by how screwed up Russia is. And I'm trying to figure out why I'm so attracted to crime sto
Kit Fox
Up to and including both the hydrogen bomb and that gnarly-ass flesh-eating bacteria, few things on this planet seem scarier than the Russian mafia.
Malcolm
Another favorite on the international red mafia invasion.
Stacy
I'm giving this a higher star rating than it probably deserves. It's scattered, as if Friedman is trying to cram as much as possible into the book about all the different crime figures he knows. You can feel Friedman racing. He was: he had contracted a rare disease while on assignment for Vanity Fair in the slums of Bombay and was dying as he wrote this. Although, given his ballsy way of handling himself when confronting Russian mobsters, I'm not wholly convinced they didn't get him in the end. ...more
Janna
When I realized that all these mafia guys are coming from the same place where I was born and grew up, I could not believe it. It is scary to think how much capacity for cruelly a human brain is able contain! The book is documentary and the events and people, creating these events are captured as they took place. The author obviously is a very courageous man, who put at risk his life reveling details of very dangerous for the society and for him and his family people.
Travis Heermann
This books is a frightening glimpse into the Russian mob and how it got a foothold in the West. It feels scattershot at times, and I was hoping for a little more information about the mafiya's inner workings, but the author clearly knew what he was talking about.
Joseph
This is great and a quick read. It is only 250 pages, but it is amazing and frightful on what is happening.

I saw this book being discussed on TV on like the History Channel and thought it would be interesting. I am glad I picked it up.
Erik
A tad dramatic and hyperbolic, but gets an extra star because unlike most true crime authors who simply collate other books, the late author went toe to toe interviewing the actual gangsters at significant personal risk.
Andrew
Aug 02, 2011 Andrew added it
Good investigative journalism, but kinda dry. Too much banking and not enough decapitations.
Christine
to a very best friend alexander
Amarinder Dhaliwal
Amarinder Dhaliwal marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Brandon Randell
Brandon Randell marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
David Mumford
David Mumford marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Nathan Ponseti
Nathan Ponseti is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
D.B. Shuster
D.B. Shuster marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Adam Lehman
Adam Lehman marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
  • The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America
  • Capone: The Man and the Era
  • Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
  • The Gangs of Chicago: An Informal History of the Chicago Underworld
  • "I Heard You Paint Houses": Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • The Valachi Papers (aka The Canary That Sang)
  • The Dillinger Days
  • Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss
  • Capone: The Life and World of Al Capone
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • Inside Central Asia. A political and cultural history of Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkey, and Iran.
  • Murder Most Rare: The Female Serial Killer
  • Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires
  • The New Great Game: Blood and Oil in Central Asia
Zealots for Zion: Inside Israel's West Bank Settlement Movement Red Mafiya: How the Russian Mob Has Invaded America The False Prophet: Rabbi Meir Kahane: From FBI Informant to Knesset Member