Come Fall

Come Fall

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Lu Zimmer's best friend moved away last summer. Salman Page is the new kid in school. Blos Pease takes everything literally. Three kids who are on the fringe of the middle school social order find each other and warily begin to bond, but suddenly things start going wrong. Salman becomes the object of the school bully's torment, and Lu's pregnant mother has some unexpected...more
Published July 27th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Come Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Fall

Heather
The three children and the story of their growing friendship was really good. Unfortunately, the Puck/Titania/Oberon scenes were a bit baffling and didn't really add to the story. Most children or teens who read this book will not be familiar with A Midsummer Night's Dream and will be even more baffled than I was. I really liked the kids, though, and I liked Crow's presence in the story.
Addison Children
I enjoyed the story of three misfit middle-schoolers coming together, learning to trust one another, and forming strong bonds. I was confused by the side story with the fairies from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" squabbling over the boy, Salman, and his fate. The tale is told in rotating points of view - each of the three children and Puck, the fairy. The implication, I guess, is that when things go wrong (or right), it might be fairies messing with us. The book reminded me a little of "View From S...more
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here.

Oberon, Titania, Puck. These were the reasons I was interested in reading Come Fall by A.C.E. Bauer. Take characters from A Midsummer Night's Dream and have them messing in the lives of middle schoolers? I'm so there. And I enjoyed the book as I expected, but not for the reasons I thought I would.

The story in Come Fall is told in third person limited, but the limited perspective switches from chapter to chapter between the three kids. Puck's chapters are in first person fr...more
Beth
I found this book browsing the Teen section of my public library, liked the cover and blurb, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the five very different characters and how they came together in a middle school setting. Salman Page is a foster child who has been moved often. Now 14, he's learned to keep his head down and not get involved. Lu Zimmer is a wallflower who's best friend has just moved away. But she's excited to be a D.B., a designated buddy, at her Junior HIgh, helping a new, younger s...more
Turrean
The author has a cool premise--developing a character around the changeling boy who is the focus of the disagreement between Oberon and Titania in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. The story recounts the gentle growth of a bond between three middle school outsiders: a boy with Aspergers, a girl whose best friend has moved away, and a boy at his eleventh different school in one year. The characters are sympathetic, the school setting is realistic (strange to say, in a book inspired by a fa...more
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

Poor Puck. Just like in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Puck is torn between pleasing Oberon and pleasing Titania. In Shakespeare’s play, Puck is squeezing love flower juice in the wrong person’s eyes, he’s turning a worker’s head into a donkey head, and generally causing mischief for everyone. In Come Fall, Puck is both trying to protect Salman and trying to cause him misfortune. All of this is on the instructions of Oberon and Titania.

Each character has a very distinct voice. Salman is aloof...more
Kelly
This book was not what I expected (mainly my fault for not researching properly, I know). It is a middle grade book but the tone of it and the dialogue sounds much younger. There were a few stereotypes/unoriginal characters/situations but for the most part was enjoyable. I had to skim to finish but again I am not part of that age group and it wasn't my cup of tea.

There were parts of the book that I applauded for being different. The main character is dark-skinned (orphaned so his exact race is u...more
Bayla
*2.5 stars*
What happens to the page boy that Titania and Oberon fight over in A Midsummer Night's Dream? That, says A.C.E Bauer in the acknowledgments to this book, is what this book was written to explore. Told in alternating voices of Puck, Salman (the boy), and his friends Lu-Ellen and Blos, this is a story of being different and of friendship. Blos is somewhere on the autism spectrum, so takes the world at face value, Lu is shy, without many friends, and Salman is different, alone. Together,...more
Tammy
It feels like only part of the story...seems like it's building to a great confrontation that never happens, then everyone lives happily ever after. Did like the theme of friendship however.
Heather
I loved this book! Each character has a unique voice with depth, feeling, motivation, and believability. Suspending belief for Puck is easy to do especially if you are familiar with Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and Bauer does a great job of showing us Puck's innate mischievousness and his torn loyalties between Oberon and Titania. However, it is the book's central characters that drop into your heart and keep you turning pages. The book revolves around Lu, Blos, and Salman and the fri...more
Ranya ~*If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun*~
I gave this book a two star rating, which I really don't usually do
First off:
I liked the idea of the book but there wasn't enough fairy and magicalness to it.
Second:
I don't think the fairies were very well intertwined with the plot at all- did not like that
There were definitely other things because as soon as Salman became a man, he is sent off. I mean, what about Lu and Blos? They had become a close trio friends and I had thought that that was a horrid ending (in my opinion)
Maggie V
I started this story with the expectation that this is the continuation of the boy Titania is obsessed with in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream" but it turned out to be more about Salman (yes, the boy in the play) discovering that friendship can be a good thing, and Lu and Blos (his eventual friends) becoming friens with Salman and each other. I was disappointed that there wasn't more magic, fairies, or adventure, but as a story about friendship the book worked.
Mauri
Interesting book dealing with friendship and acceptance. A.C.E. Bauer writes children's books that aren't typical children's books. This one weaves characters from Midsummer's Night Dream into a story about a boy who has been passed from one foster home to another. At his new school he meets two fellow students who are the unlikeliest of friends. The story explores loyalty, acceptance, and bullying.
Paty
I really enjoyed the characters in the book. A little more detail about why the king and queen were upset with each other would have helped. But it was a great story about friendship, especially when it involves a foster child who gets bounced from one family to another and one school to another. Age level I would recommend this for is about 8 to 11.
Sylvia
A nice story about an unusual friendship between 3 people. Good character development. The only thing is, you have to be familiar with "A midsummer night's dream" to be able to understand the fantasy element of this story. Since I'm not familiar with it, I found the parts with Oberon, Titania, and Puck to be out of place and confusing.
Kelly
A fun fantasy that takes Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream into the world of young adult literature. The characters are all misfits that find they have special talents of their own and can form special friendships that will enhance their lives, as well. The multicultural mix of characters is a nice touch.
Nicole
Aug 27, 2010 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: realistic fiction fans who secretly yearn for fantasy books but don't want to be judged
This one falls somewhere between middle grade and YA.

Interesting (strange?) premise. Multiple focalizers. Should have read Midsummer's before hand to understand all the references.

I'm pretty sure I'll have forgotten this one by the time I click the "submit" button at the bottom of this page.
Jane
A crow on the cover, how could I pass it up? A lovely story about 3 misfit middle-schoolers becoming true friends. I don't know my Shakespeare at all but one of them is a character from Midsummer Nights Dream. I will be reading it now. Wonderful characters.
Sheralyn
Once in awhile I find myself reading a book that makes you think beyond the story. Usually this genre does not draw me in, but I was and I truly enjoyed the read. Clean, funny and very down to earth, I can only hope to encourage my children to read it.
Latricia
I really liked this book. It's clearly imspired by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, but it's not so close to the play that it beats readers over the head with it. It's well written and the ending isn't a sugary sweet happy ending, but it is hopeful.
Andrew Marr
A bittersweet & charming story about an emerging friendship between three children intertwined with some interference from the fairy world. I really enjoyed spending time with the protagonists & getting to know them.
Tracie
The story of three young people becoming friends is interconnected with A Midsummer Night's Dream. I loved the story of the three friends, but did not enjoy the manipulation of the characters by Oberon and Titania.
Kait Nolan
The prose was well done but by the end I was really wondering exactly what the point was. I've clearly been so indoctrinated with very action packed urban fantasy that anything else leaves me wanting.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: It's tough to promise your audience fairies and then not deliver, so I wasn't as taken with Bauer's contemporary take on A Midsummer Night's Dream as I might have been.
Sarah Richards
This book was nothing spectacular. However it wasn't an un-enjoyable read. I cannot see myself rereading this book, but it did delightfully pass some time.
Jana
I really liked the three points of view. Not quite sure why the Faery elements had to be in the book. I really enjoyed this middle grade read!
Rad
Suddenly ... I want to read ... A Midsummer Night's Dream! Maybe then I will understand this captivating book a little better.
Electric Landlady
Lovely low-key story about friendship. Bonus Puck, Titania and Oberon, plus a very smart crow (aren't they all?).
Judy
What a fun way to begin learning Shakespeare's (Midsummer Night's Dream) characters
Brent
Entertaining young adult fiction along the lines of Harry Potter or Percy Jackson.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I have telling and writing stories since childhood. I took a short break to write dreadful poetry, and then a longer one while I worked as an attorney, writing legal briefs and telling stories about my clients. I have returned to fiction, and published two middle grade novels, No Castles Here (ALA Rainbow Book; Kirkus Review starred review) and Come Fall (CCBC Choices Book; Publishers' Weekly star...more
More about A.C.E. Bauer...
No Castles Here Gil Marsh

“The young man is both like and unlike us."
Oberon paused his perpetual motion.
"Like and unlike? Could he be a changeling, one of the Faery?"
I shook my head. "He is human. I am certain. But he sees the world as it is and not as humans would have it be."
(p63)”