Start by marking “Campo de Espadas (Emperor, #3)” as Want to Read:
Campo de Espadas (Emperor, #3)

Campo de Espadas (Emperor #3)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  10,163 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
Júlio César levou as legiões para Norte, envolvendo-as em ferozes batalhas com as tribos gaulesas. Porém, à medida que os sucessos se acumulam, novas alianças e uma ambição devastadora começam a fazer perigar a sua amizade com Marco Bruto, seu braço direito e sua espada. Embora a conquista da Gália tenha voltado a fazer César um herói, as suas vitórias no campo de batalha ...more
534 pages
Published 2007 by Bertrand Editora (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Campo de Espadas, please sign up.

Steven Day Yes, Gods of War is the 4th instalment followed by The Blood of Gods.

Goge
Mar 01, 2013 Goge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect series for all who are intrigued and owed with the old Rome and great man that was Gajus Julius Ceasar. Conn Iggulden is taking us through the life, tastes, smells, blood and politics that shaped the world we know today. Cesar was a brilliant man in a cruel world and with cruelty that matched that same world with ease. At the same time, he was loved by the ones he turned into the deadliest force the world saw even long after he left this world. These books also show us how hard life was ...more
Lance Greenfield
From Spain to Gaul to Britain and back to Rome

This is the third book in the series of four and continues at tremendous pace. Caesar is posted to Spain by his political rivals who, rightly, see him as a threat.

He is successful in his Iberian adventure, but returns to Rome in time for the consular elections. Following his election to high office, the means of which is highly amusing, he cannot sit still for long and soon leaves Crassus and Pompey in charge so that he can take his armies to Gaul to
Ruth
Aug 31, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
1995:Conn Iggulden complimented another author by saying that “Some authors are better historians than they are storytellers. Anthony Riches is brilliant at both.” . I think that this also describes Mr Iggulden's writing as well. If I wanted an exact historical rendition of Julius Caesar, I would pick up a relevant historical tome. But I happen to like my history told as a story with an explanation offered for some of the seemingly random choices made by people great and small. Many of the revi ...more
J.S. Dunn
Sandals, sweat, and swords. Should have known going into this how it would be, but hope springs infernal.

The frequent changes in narration and point of view, shifting from the military battles with Caesar back to Rome, proved to be the most disruptive. Also disruptive were gratuitous sex scenes every X pages---though those occur mostly in the first half of the book.

One cannot help but compare the depth and insight evident in McCullough's series on Rome, or the brilliance of Robert Harris' tril
Marcos
Feb 17, 2015 Marcos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard not to get hooked by Iggulden's storytelling, his style is concise and fast paced, very pleasant to read. The story is captivating in itself and shifts from politics to bigger than life battles. It's also interesting how Iggulden develops the friendship of Julius and Brutus, their loyalty and the tension slowly building...
John
Feb 24, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking up the story where the last one left off... this is the third book in the four book Emperor series.

We finally meet Mark Antony... Caesar, Crassus and Pompey form their Triumvirate... we lose some favourites... fight more battles.... and face more duplicity than you'd expect to find at a Two-timers get together....

Wonderful...
Fahed ( Fred )
Jan 29, 2017 Fahed ( Fred ) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard not to get hooked into reading these books by Conn Iggulden, beautifully written and a lot of facts and history in a way that's worth reading and paying attention to. It was slow to start with but still worth all 5 stars.
Mark Harrison
Feb 12, 2017 Mark Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great third part in the history of Caesar. Lots of political games in the first half and the battle heavy invasion of Gaul in the second. Rattles along at great pace and really enjoyed the many fights. Good stuff.
Julie
Feb 25, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks
My book review for www.audiojukebox.com

Today is March 15th, or as most of us know, the Ides of March. The three most common facts known about Julius Caesar is that he was one of the greatest rulers of the Roman Empire, he was assassinated on the Ides of March, and he created an amazing salad dressing that he named after himself. Okay, so I made up that last bit about the salad dressing to see if anyone really reads these reviews. But if you are at all curious and want to learn more about the lif
Steve
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the previous two in this series. Why? Good question. For me, Caesar spends far too much of the books' emphasis on his campaigns out of Rome. Starting in Spain, then a really long time (much of the book) in Gaul, then his failures in Britain. I love historical fiction, and facts, but there was no way of knowing all the conversations and details of what happened in his long campaign in Gaul. That part dragged on too far for me, for too much of the book ...more
Kara
Sep 14, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-ancient

Events move at a fast clip throughout the book. The action never stops, which gives the reader a sense of the frenetic energy Julius Caesar feels inside him as he moves forward, not wanting to waste any time while trying to figure out his path. The reader is taken on a tour of Europe as Caesar dashes from Spain to Italy to France to Germany to England, creating a new world in his wake because he does not want to leave anything at status quo.

I loved that these characters can’t tell the future. I
Arun Divakar
As the story opens, Julius Caesar is wrapping up his adventures in Spain. With his ever ambitious and never silent mind driving him, he sets out to Rome. What follows is the creation of the first triumvirate with Pompey, Crassus and Caesar after which he sets course for the conquest of Gaul and thereby carving a place for himself in history. The curtains fall at the time when Caesar decides to lead his men across the Rubicon and back to Rome to challenge the might of Pompey.

Romans as I understan
Wayne
Dec 11, 2016 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying the Emperor series. Well developed characters, great paced action and wonderfully written. Just remember it is historical fiction, not historical fact.
David Campton
I've consistently whined about the historical innacuracy in this series, but this one, apart from the core fiction that Caesar and Brutus shared much of their lives and careers together, sticks much more closely to the facts of Caesar's rise to the Consulship and his subsequent Gallic wars. Iggulden downplays some of the horrors of his subjugation of Gaul (such as watching the women and children of Alesia starve to death between the twin walls) but I suppose a lot of detail has to be sacrificed ...more
Lori
May 10, 2009 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009may
Ah, Gaul. And Gaul. And more Gaul.

Field of Swords is a bit battle-riffic for my preference. The first half of the book, full of politics and intrigue, is much more my style. The endless sword and horse and spear scenes made my eyes roll back in my head. Just for a minute, but over and over.

I know, I know, it's a necessary part of Casear's history. And it's not even that I minded him being away from Rome, because watching him purge his grief in Spain worked for me. But there are only so many bloo
Jamie
Feb 18, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben
This series gets inside of you! Well for me it does, it feels like you know all of the characters and as other Roman fiction authors, Conn has evoked a great sense of the times.
Tasha
Another good round from Iggulden. I generally enjoyed this one although at times I felt like it could be a 3.5 star read. Overall though, a good read so will give another 4 stars.
Robert Hepple
Nov 04, 2016 Robert Hepple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Field of Swords is the 3rd instalment in the Conqueror series and was first published in 2005. It is set mainly in Gaul, where Caesar spends some years pacifying the region, and generally running up a huge body count. Iggulden knows how to tell a great tale, and also knows when to add traditional ingredients to the story. Great fun.
Joshua Jacobs
Nov 19, 2016 Joshua Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During my reviews of the last two books in this series, I gave the author 3 stars - though not particularly well-researched, they had a good plot at least. This one impressed me more. It was usually relatively entertaining, and didn't make more historical mistakes than the average historical fiction book.
The Bright One
Fantastic, yet again. I really cannot get enough of Conn Iggulden. We lost a few main characters in this one, which always keeps you on your toes, and in turn, interested.
Sue
Feb 11, 2017 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Once again the battle scenes were incredible. So savage. Describes Julius well at the end of his time in Gaul. Nearly ten years and a million dead.
Dudenotserious
Jan 09, 2017 Dudenotserious rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Lauren Liebenberg
Another excellent book in the Conn Iggulden's highly addictive Caesar chronicles. Although I suppose Ceasar's conquest of Gaul and campaign in Britain represented his defining achievement, the many many long years of the campaign and exhaustive account thereof was for me rather long-winded, however. I felt battle-weary at the end. Although it's one of the most exciting history lessons I've ever had, I am frustrated that we have only just crossed the Rubicon at the end of this book in the series. ...more
Samantha
Jan 27, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction, Roman history
Jc
Oct 03, 2016 Jc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is certainly more fun to read than De Bello Gallico. But it is a bit repetitive after a while to hear about all these battles. It definitely puts back in place a number of things badly learned through 6 years of Latin. Once more the research that writing such a book is impressive although I am sure historians would look at this as a vulgar exercise.

Huw Rhys
Feb 03, 2015 Huw Rhys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A month or so ago, a sweet shop closed in our village. There were all sorts of rumours as to why the shop closed, it was reported rather blandly in the local newspaper, and I even spoke to someone who claimed he knew the owner, and I was given apparently the story from the horse’s mouth. What is the real reason for the shop going under – will we ever know?

There are four gospels in the Bible, each supposedly telling the same story of the same person’s life. All four differ considerably to one ano
Sarazeen Saif
Dec 15, 2016 Sarazeen Saif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The third volume in the acclaimed Emperor series, in which Conn Iggulden brilliantly interweaves history and adventure to recreate the astonishing life of Julius Caesar – an epic tale of ambition and rivalry, bravery and betrayal, from an outstanding new voice in historical fiction. THE GATES OF ROME, THE DEATH OF KINGS and now THE BITTER RIVER tell the powerful, dramatic story of the friendship and enmity between the two men who ruled the Roman world. Following the defeat of the Spartacus rebel

Sara
Sep 29, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E num ritmo de tempo que não pára segue a vida de Júlio César que me continua a maravilhar não só pela pessoa em si, mas pelo General em que se tornou e que neste terçeiro volume marca pela diferença.

Num atropelo de acontecimentos Júlio César continua as suas conquistas numa Roma cujo espírito e dignidade se perde algures por entre aqueles que apenas no poder desmedido encontram seu belo prazer, esquecendo que uma cidade, um povo é feito de pessoas.

Rodeado de amigos, Júlio César atravessa aqui u
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • The Wolf's Gold (Empire, #5)
  • Defender of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #2)
119121
I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in London by the end of that period. I have enormous ...more
More about Conn Iggulden...

Emperor (5 books)
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Death of Kings (Emperor, #2)
  • The Gods of War (Emperor, #4)
  • The Blood of Gods (Emperor, #5)