Tuscan Rose

Tuscan Rose

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,003 ratings  ·  134 reviews
A mysterious stranger known as 'The Wolf' leaves an infant with the sisters of Santo Spirito. A tiny silver key hidden in her wrappings is the only clue to the child's identity and so begins a story as intriguing and beautiful as the city of Florence itself. Belinda Alexandra's new novel, TUSCAN ROSE, is set in Italy during the time of Mussolini. This richly woven tale of...more
Published 2010 by HarperCollins Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tuscan Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tuscan Rose

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteCloudstreet by Tim WintonPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
341st out of 510 books — 261 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Angus & Robertson Top 100
43rd out of 91 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I had a really difficult time with Belinda Alexandra's Tuscan Rose. I respect that a lot of other readers feel differently, but if I am entirely honest with myself I have to admit that I seriously considered throwing my kindle at the wall while reading this book. Be warned, there are possible spoilers ahead.

To begin, Alexandra spends both parts one and two laying the groundwork for her story which means things don't start m...more
Kate Forsyth
This novel had a subtitle ‘Passion, longing, secrets, and a dangerous time’ and is set in wartime Italy so it sounded just like my kind of book. Yet, despite its readability, I have to admit I was disappointed. I’m not sure exactly why. I should’ve loved sensitive Rosa, and I really adore romantic books set in wartime Italy ... yet ... I think it was too long, or the writing was simply too pedestrian, or because I never got to really like either of the two men Rosa falls in love with ... too muc...more
Nicole Campbell
Belinda Alexandra has a way of transporting you back in time to the period her stories are set in. Tuscan Rose was very well researched and kept my attention the whole way through. I couldn't put the book down and was itching to finish it. Now I will need to wait another two years until her next book is published. I would highly recommend this book as well as her other three novels to anyone who hasn't read her.
Rand
It was as if she was flipping over the pages of the past.(view spoiler)...more
Maria
After reading a few pages I knew this book was going to be good but when I got to the part where Rosa saw salami slices turning into sows, vomited up live live anchovies, squids and chickens I started to worry. Thankfully, Rosa's "gifts" were played down in the rest of the novel and it continued to be an exciting, page turning book.
Lindsey
Why is this book written on a third-grade reading level? Seriously, it's as if the author assumes that I can handle the image of a guy's eyeball hanging down on his cheek, but I can't handle sentences longer than ten words. She kept adding in questions like "Would the war ever be over?" and "How could things ever be the same?" as if she had to hold my hand through the basics of conflict and theme. I read mostly young adult fiction and this is by far the most talked-down-to that I have felt in a...more
Indie
'I shall gain mastery over my heart'

Signorina Rosa Bellocchi was taken to the convent Santo Spirito as an infant, with a key as the only clue to her identity.

We meet Rosa as a young 15 year old that is about to be sent to the Scarfiotti Villa to be the governess of the Marsche and Marschea's young daughter Clementina. While the Marsche appears to be kind-hearted his wife is a frightning women with a black mysterious shadow that surrounds her.

Okay the GOOD and the BAD..

The BAD..
*Knowing how old R...more
Belinda
This would have been better had the two storylines been separated into two separate books. The mystery of Rosa's birth and parentage seems to be overshadowed by her life story throughout an era of fascism and war. By separating the stories, Belinda could have developed the mystery of who Rosa was in much more detail. It's exciting and clever when authors are able to take more than one storyline and entwine them into one seamless story, however, this was not the case here.

It was an interesting s...more
Leslie
I honestly expected to get something differently from Tuscan Rose. From the book’s blurb I was expecting the paranormal element that was mentioned to take a more significant part into the book’s story. Even though that wasn’t the case, the story that I did get was compelling on its own and made the book very moving and powerful. I enjoy books with a strong and passionate leading lady and Tuscan Rose delivered on that aspect with Rosa.

As a lover of historical fiction, I’m always looking for books...more
Lisa
In a word, the story was odd. There appears to be so many bizarre things going on in the under-story that I wasn’t really sure where Alexandra was going. Strange visions, stereotypical mysterious settings, a creepy grave yard, wild rumors about the characters and secrets behind every door and down every hallway just made this book trite in the extreme. I honestly felt like I was reading a “B” rated book that was predictable at best and frustrating at worst. Seriously, I felt like this was a walk...more
Lisa B.
Rosa was a young teenager when she left the sheltered life of the convent to become a governess for a wealthy Italian family. Strange and mystical things happen while she is with them. In trying to help another staff member, Rosa is accused of being an enemy of the state. I don’t want to say any more, but it is at this point that Rosa’s life takes a dramatic turn that impacts her forever.

This story started off strong for me, but then went into a bit of a lull to the point where I wasn’t sure I w...more
Christy B
I have been wanting to read this book for probably two years, and I'm so excited that it's finally being released in the states.

I love historical fiction books set in Italy during WWII, and in my opinion there are not enough. I feel that most people don't understand about Italy's involvement during the war or the horrors the people of Italy went through during the Nazi occupation.

Tuscan Rose didn't mince anything. It showed the true story of Italy during the time of Mussolini and WWII through t...more
Faye Barron
Belinda Alexander takes a fascinating, challenging time and place in history, mixes in compelling characters, adds a little supernatural for good measure, and then produces an unforgettable, empathetic experience for her readers.
Tuscan Rose is set in Italy during the tumultuous times of Mussolini. The story of Rosa's life (until about middle age) is an intriguing tale - one that captures your imagination - and your heart!
Jimena
Hmmm where to start... Love the author, have read most of her other books, I have done the audiobooks, so want to disclose that, just in case, some readers of this review must know. This one left me a little "not fulfilled." I thought it was a bit out there with the main character ability to see animals and people by concentrating on objects, a bit supernatural for my taste. The story is well written, it shows a lot of research went into the time of events and World War II true horrors, yet it w...more
Melinda

Belinda Alexandra writes an epic historical fiction novel part romance, with a fantasy element. Tuscan Rose has a strong, independent female protagonist with her share of tough breaks but still finds the inner strength to move forward withou...more
Duygu
Nemesis Kitap’tan çıkmış olan “Belinda Alexandra’nın Güller İçinde Yalnız” adlı kitabını okuyup bitirdim.
Kitabı , on beş – yirmi günlük bir süreçte okudum.Böyle uzun bir sürece yayma sebebim ; kitabın tarihi bir kurgu üzerine oturtulmuş olması. Ve ben tarihi veya tarihi kurgu kitaplarını okurken kitapta bilmediğim konular varsa internetten de araştırarak ve okuyarak daha fazla bilgi edinmeye çalışırım.

Yoksa kitabın çevirisi gayet iyi.Akıcı bir şekilde okunuyor, yazım hataları nadir de olsa var....more
Penny
Really compulsive reading - especially at the moment when Florence is being swept by a tide of 30s fashion and discussion about that period due to the latest exhibition at the Strozzi Palace about Italian Art in the 30s. There are some rather obvious lead-ins where it is quite easy to guess what is going to happen, but you want to confirm your suspicions, which always makes a book difficult to put down!
Emily
WOW, when i started out this book im not sure what i was expecting, then i encounted the whole witches part and was like, oh here we go *rolls eyes*

I was proved massively wrong, this book was amazing, it managed to teach as well as evoke feelings, insipre, and yes ima say it made me cry!
the characters were so real to me. I really enjoyed this one, Thanks Sarahs mum :P
V.E. Lynne
Belinda Alexandra proves yet again what a good storyteller she is with "Tuscan Rose", a saga set in Mussolini's Italy. Rosa is abandoned at a nunnery as a baby with only a silver key wrapped up in her swaddling robes to identify her. After a happy childhood with the nuns, she is sent out at age sixteen to work in the home of the Marchese and Marchesa Scarfiotti as a music teacher to their daughter. The Scarfiotti house holds many secrets that threaten Rosa and she soon finds herself in a despera...more
AJ
It took me a while to get into this book, the beginning was quite slow. However it is action packed, with a beautiful love story woven through it. I found the historical elements fascinating - I had no idea what went on in Italy during the war, and I enjoyed that aspect of the story very much. A great read.
P.e.
This is a story that takes place in Italy, starts in the year of 1914 with the birth of a baby girl. She is taken to a convent and left there with the nuns with only a blanket and a key. Nothing else is said of the child or were she came from. She grows with the sisters and by the age of fifteen it is time for her to leave. They have found her a job at a home of a wealthy land owner who needs a tutor for his young daughter. When she firsts arrives there the first lady she meets is not very pleas...more
Rachel Zylstra
An absolute gem. Loved every second of Tuscan Rose.
Debbie
I want to thank Goodreads, I was given this book in exchange for this review. I give it 2 stars. That is an average. If I could I would give the first half of the book 3-4 stars but the second half only 1-2.

First this book is not about witches or witchcraft!! This book is neither mystical nor magical. It is a book about Italy's politics during WWII. It is pure historical fiction, perhaps historical romance.

All I kept thinking was it reads like a long.... really long, Danielle Steele novel. Not t...more
Clare
I really loved this book. It was rich and interesting. However I only had two problems with it that bring it down from a five star read. First was the heroine. Rosa is such a Mary Sue that if her story wasn't so fascinating I wouldn't have been able to stand reading. It's strange to find a Mary Sue in Adult literature but there you go. Seriously, she has a traumatic past, unusual gifts, is just so nice, beautiful and perfect that she was irritating.

Also as much as I love Belinda Alexandra's wri...more
Mrs. Kenyon
Rosa was left with the sisters of Santo Spirito by a stranger described as “The Wolf.” The only clue to who the child may be is hidden within a silver key that was found inside the baby’s wrappings. The book then fast-forwards several times, the first to be when she is escorted out of the convent to become a governess. Her time in this position is short lived when she is charged with a crime without a trial and sent to prison. Later jumps in time give the reader access to her experiences through...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
12/04/11 - I am on disc 5 of this book. So far I am finding it a bit long winded and I wonder a bit about the story - it started off well - A man delivers a baby, Rosa, to a convent where she is brought up until she is 15 when a position is found for her as a governess with a prestigeous Italian family. When a tradegy occurs for some silly reason in my mind (did this really happen in these times) Rosa is taken to prison and left there with no trial for acts against the govenment and she is only...more
Ssil
Rosa ha crecido en un convento, pero cumplidos los quince años es el momento de abandonar el que ha sido su hogar y a la que ha sido como una madre para ella, sour Maddalena, para comenzar su vida fuera de los muros del convento. A pesar de que no es lo que desea, Rosa trabajará como institutriz de una niña de ocho años, Clementina, hija de los marqueses Scarfiotti. Su vida dejará de ser sencilla, vivir en la casa de los marqueses, cuyo matrimonio está deshecho, no es fácil, sobre todo por culpa...more
Sarah Beth
I received an advance uncorrected proof of this book as a giveaway on Goodreads.

Tuscan Rose follows the life of Rosa, who is raised by nuns and becomes a young woman in a country on the brink of war under the rule of Mussolini. The reader is drawn in to Rosa's life on two levels - in hopes of learning more about Rosa's past and family origins, and to learn about her fate and how she will survive once she is on her own and no longer under the protection of the nuns.

I was surprised to learn that...more
Kathleen C
A baby is anonymously delivered to a convent with a tiny key the only clue to her identity. These are just the beginnings of the mysteries that surround young Rosa Bellocchi. As Rosa grows, she realizes that she psychically senses the origins of things. She touches a piece of furniture and is transported to a hard wood jungle. Or she eats a piece of bread and feels the sun and the wind on the wheat. Or...she senses the pain and fear of the chinchilla's used to make a fur coat. You can imagine wh...more
Hannah
At fifteen, Rosa leaves the convent she has lived in all her life to work as a governess in a house that she seems to be somehow connected with. Meanwhile, Fascism rises in Italy and along with it everyone’s lives change.

I found the Tuscan Rose to be a very broad book with too many ideas. The writing style was too simple and felt contrived as every action was explained in terms of how Rosa thinks or feels, giving it a meaning that wasn’t at all obvious.

The story could be strengthened by removi...more
  • The Silver Horse (The Chain of Charms, #2)
  • One Great Year
  • Pearl in a Cage
  • Angel
  • Redemption (Soul, #1)
  • Motherland
  • Royal Inheritance (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #6)
  • The Boleyn Deceit (The Boleyn Trilogy, #2)
  • Carnevale
  • The Convent
  • Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)
Belinda Alexandra has been published to wide acclaim in Australia and internationally. She is the daughter of a Russian mother and an Australian father and has been an intrepid traveller since her youth. Her love of other cultures is matched by her passion for her home country, Australia, where she is a volunteer carer for the NSW Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES).
Belinda...more
More about Belinda Alexandra...
White Gardenia Wild Lavender Silver Wattle Golden Earrings Sapphire Skies