Start by marking “Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds” as Want to Read:
Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds

Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Newly revised and packaged with DVDs containing both audio and video exercises, Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds, is the first part of the Al-Kitaab program. It teaches learners to recognize and produce both letters and sounds accurately through a variety of exercises designed to develop listening, reading, and writing skills. In addition, it i ...more
Published July 28th 2004 by Georgetown University Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Alif Baa with DVDs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alif Baa with DVDs

Rachel
I thought that most of it was pretty concise, but it isn't really a book you can use independent of classroom instruction (this is the textbook for my Arabic class). I thought that the way that sun and moon letters, as well as roots at the end of the book were poorly written and explained, which was really annoying.
Colleen
So far an autodidact, this book helped me learn the Arabic alphabet (how to write it, speak it, hear it, and read it). The DVDs are really extensive and helpful. However, if you think you can work through this book and then drop yourself into Arabic 3 at the University of Pittsburgh and NOT embarrass yourself on the first day, you are wrong. This book leaves most of the essential vocabulary and grammar to the second book in the series: Al-Kitaab.
The most important thing I learned from this book
Meera
This book was required by my first Arabic class and it's great. If you don't know the Arabic alphabet this book will be really good for you. It has dictation exercises, listening exercises, video dialogues, vocab and cultural insight. It is perfect for beginners!
Diana
Dec 30, 2014 Diana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: arabic beginners
Shelves: arabic, islam, language
Textbook required for Modern Arabic I course.

As a some-what speaker of Arabic, this book was really helpful but in the sense of learning from other dialects it was confusing. Despite most of the information (the vocabulary) being of formal or root Arabic, I couldn't learn from my Egyptian dialect that much from the professor requiring us to only learn Formal Arabic and very little dialect of our choosing. It's a decent book but I'd recommend learning other material from the side to increase know
lafon حمزة نوفل
Dec 05, 2012 lafon حمزة نوفل rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to lafon حمزة by: uOttawa
This book was the designated book for a class I was taking as part of the HeadStart program at uOttawa. This is not the greatest book for teaching the language in my opinion.
Granted this is designed for complete beginners (which I am not), but it seems to miss quite a bit of the nuances of the language. For the most part it disregards such things as dual, plural, past, future tenses, most of the grammar of the language, and doesn't really have any verbs.
If you've got a terrible teacher for the
Maggie Dory
Pretty great book for learning the very basics of Arabic. Think of it as a sort of Arabic kindergarten:I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone, but it provides a solid foundation that can be built upon with a competent teacher and additional books to improve syntax
Conrad
A pretty good introduction to a tough language. The DVDs that come with it are essential for sharpening pronunciation. There's more information in those and in the book than is very easy to absorb, but that's fine. I only wish the words used in the dictation drills were given definitions in English. I wouldn't mind starting to build vocabulary even though my grasp of grammar is nonexistent.
Ashley
Sep 12, 2007 Ashley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students
Shelves: what-i-study
Learning Arabic is hard... This book doesn't make it easier, exactly, but I am actually learning the alphabet and able to write so it must be doing something correctly.

There are a lot of exercises and useful drills, although the DVDs are a little cumbersome to navigate.
Amanda
This Arabic Textbook is sufficient in learning the alphabet, but it uses too much Egyptian Dialect, when learning the basics of a language, you need the root, not the dialect, especially in a college level class.
Riobhcah
This is a good book to use independently of class instruction in that the DVD's and the online instruction offer a pretty good teaching on how to pronounce the letters in Arabic.
Megan
I joined my Arabic class 4 weeks late... by using Alif Baa i was able to catch up with the class and learn the new stuff at the same time... GREAT BOOK!!!!
Natasha
This book was amazing - phonics for grownups. I feel solid on the alphabet and the vocabulary is... coming along! A great way to learn the language.
Kalebherman
This is a good introduction to the Arabic language and focuses on the alphabet, better than some other books I've used.
Sarah (Say)
This made Arabic very accessible & the DVD was incredibly helpful. Skip the intro, though; it might scare you!
tabras
A great book to introduce the Arabic alphabet and some basic words/conversations.
Colette
Adventures with Maha, al-bint al-waheeda! She is so very lonely.
Hazier Ika
usefull for my college. like it!
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Samuel Ukok
Samuel Ukok marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Ilhan
Ilhan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Nils Holgersson
Nils Holgersson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Bert
Bert marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Syntax: A Generative Introduction
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • The Semi-Sovereign People: A Realist's View of Democracy in America
  • Historical Linguistics: An Introduction
  • الباذنجانة الزرقاء
  • Criminalistics: An Introduction to Forensic Science
  • Islam: The Straight Path
  • The Dobe Ju/'Hoansi
  • Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern and Contemporary Poetry
Al-kitaab fii Ta'allum Al-'Arabiyya.  A Textbook For Beginning Arabic, part one Al-kitaab Fii Ta'allum Al-Arabiyya: A Textbook for Arabic, part two Answer Key to Alif Baa: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds Answer Key to Al-Kitaab Fii Tacallum Al-Carabiyya: A Textbook for Beginning Arabic: Part One Al-Kitaab Fii Ta Callum Al-Carabiyya: A Textbook for Arabic: Part Three [With MP3 CDWith DVD]