Start by marking “Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds” as Want to Read:
Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds

Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds

Newly revised and packaged with DVDs containing both audio and video exercises, Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds, is the first part of the Al-Kitaab program. It teaches learners to recognize and produce both letters and sounds accurately through a variety of exercises designed to develop listening, reading, and writing skills. In addition, it i ...more
Published July 28th 2004 by Georgetown University Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Alif Baa with DVDs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alif Baa with DVDs

Colleen
May 17, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
So far an autodidact, this book helped me learn the Arabic alphabet (how to write it, speak it, hear it, and read it). The DVDs are really extensive and helpful. However, if you think you can work through this book and then drop yourself into Arabic 3 at the University of Pittsburgh and NOT embarrass yourself on the first day, you are wrong. This book leaves most of the essential vocabulary and grammar to the second book in the series: Al-Kitaab.
The most important thing I learned from this book
Rachel
Apr 26, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that most of it was pretty concise, but it isn't really a book you can use independent of classroom instruction (this is the textbook for my Arabic class). I thought that the way that sun and moon letters, as well as roots at the end of the book were poorly written and explained, which was really annoying.
Meera
Sep 25, 2014 Meera rated it it was amazing
This book was required by my first Arabic class and it's great. If you don't know the Arabic alphabet this book will be really good for you. It has dictation exercises, listening exercises, video dialogues, vocab and cultural insight. It is perfect for beginners!
lafon حمزة نوفل
Nov 05, 2012 lafon حمزة نوفل rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to lafon حمزة by: uOttawa
This book was the designated book for a class I was taking as part of the HeadStart program at uOttawa. This is not the greatest book for teaching the language in my opinion.
Granted this is designed for complete beginners (which I am not), but it seems to miss quite a bit of the nuances of the language. For the most part it disregards such things as dual, plural, past, future tenses, most of the grammar of the language, and doesn't really have any verbs.
If you've got a terrible teacher for the
Alyssa Tallama
this book was the bane of my existence for about 3 months!
(joking!..... sort of)

The exercises on the DVD are very useful - but the audio quality for some of the recordings (especially the dictation drills) was poor [they would start abruptly] thus i had to replay the track several times before i could be sure about which sound i was hearing.

aside from those few technical critiques, i would definitely recommend the textbook. Also, i personally never watched the videos of the calligrapher writing
Diana
Dec 30, 2014 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: arabic beginners
Shelves: islam, arabic, language
Textbook required for Modern Arabic I course.

As a some-what speaker of Arabic, this book was really helpful but in the sense of learning from other dialects it was confusing. Despite most of the information (the vocabulary) being of formal or root Arabic, I couldn't learn from my Egyptian dialect that much from the professor requiring us to only learn Formal Arabic and very little dialect of our choosing. It's a decent book but I'd recommend learning other material from the side to increase know
Conrad
Sep 29, 2007 Conrad rated it really liked it
A pretty good introduction to a tough language. The DVDs that come with it are essential for sharpening pronunciation. There's more information in those and in the book than is very easy to absorb, but that's fine. I only wish the words used in the dictation drills were given definitions in English. I wouldn't mind starting to build vocabulary even though my grasp of grammar is nonexistent.
Maggie Dory
Jun 10, 2014 Maggie Dory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty great book for learning the very basics of Arabic. Think of it as a sort of Arabic kindergarten:I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone, but it provides a solid foundation that can be built upon with a competent teacher and additional books to improve syntax
Amanda
Jan 25, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
This Arabic Textbook is sufficient in learning the alphabet, but it uses too much Egyptian Dialect, when learning the basics of a language, you need the root, not the dialect, especially in a college level class.
Ashley
Sep 12, 2007 Ashley rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Students
Shelves: what-i-study
Learning Arabic is hard... This book doesn't make it easier, exactly, but I am actually learning the alphabet and able to write so it must be doing something correctly.

There are a lot of exercises and useful drills, although the DVDs are a little cumbersome to navigate.
Chris
May 25, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
maa shaa' allah!
Megan
Jun 07, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
I joined my Arabic class 4 weeks late... by using Alif Baa i was able to catch up with the class and learn the new stuff at the same time... GREAT BOOK!!!!
Sarah (Say)
Oct 18, 2009 Sarah (Say) rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
This made Arabic very accessible & the DVD was incredibly helpful. Skip the intro, though; it might scare you!
Riobhcah
May 05, 2011 Riobhcah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arabic
This is a good book to use independently of class instruction in that the DVD's and the online instruction offer a pretty good teaching on how to pronounce the letters in Arabic.
tabras
Mar 08, 2013 tabras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arabic-study
A great book to introduce the Arabic alphabet and some basic words/conversations.
Kalebherman
This is a good introduction to the Arabic language and focuses on the alphabet, better than some other books I've used.
Natasha
Oct 16, 2011 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hunter
This book was amazing - phonics for grownups. I feel solid on the alphabet and the vocabulary is... coming along! A great way to learn the language.
Hazier Ika
usefull for my college. like it!
Nina
Nov 18, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing
fun.
Ebrima
Feb 21, 2015 Ebrima rated it it was amazing
Good
Alexis
Alexis rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2017
Aric
Aric rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2011
Mourad Diouri
Mourad Diouri rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2009
robin
robin rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2007
Jawad Khan
Jawad Khan rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Will King
Will King rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2009
Cara Leighann
Cara Leighann rated it it was ok
May 23, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2013
Blundell
Blundell rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Olivia Reynolds
Olivia Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
  • Arabic-English Dictionary
  • The Arabic Alphabet: How to Read & Write It
  • Arabic Verbs & Essentials of Grammar
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)
  • Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
  • La Conjugaison Pour Tous
  • Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People
  • The Dobe Ju/ Hoansi
  • Islam: The Straight Path
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • The Semi-Sovereign People: A Realist's View of Democracy in America