Start by marking “Flap Your Wings” as Want to Read:
Flap Your Wings

Flap Your Wings

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  666 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When a strange egg appears in their nest, Mr. and Mrs. Bird kindly take it upon themselves to raise the "baby bird" inside. But when the egg hatches, the Birds are in for a big surprise--"Junior" is the oddest-looking baby bird they've ever seen--with big, long jaws full of teeth and an appetite to match. In fact, he looks more like a baby alligator than a baby bird! Never ...more
Library Binding, 48 pages
Published January 25th 2000 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Flap Your Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flap Your Wings

Marilyn
Unbeknownst to them, a nesting pair of birds hatch an alligator, work their tails off to feed it and then try to teach their baby "bird" to fly. In the end, Jr. falls in a pond while trying to flap his "wings" and the mama bird says "Oh well, maybe he was meant for the pond--he seems comfortable there." I smile to think that maybe our best parenting efforts to teach our children different kinds of flight (piano, for example) may come to this same end one day ;).
Elizabeth S
Another great story by Eastman. The birds find a strange egg in the nest, decide to hatch it out, and (you guessed it) the find themselves raising an alligator. Knowing that something non-bird would hatch made it fun for both my preschooler and me. It was fun to watch the birds valiantly sitting on the egg. And we laughed ourselves silly with the problems that come from raising an alligator in a tree. I'm going to need to get us a copy of the book.
Alicia Singleton
This book is about two birds that find an egg in their nest. The egg eventually hatches, out pops an alligator. Paying no mind to what type of animal it was, the two birds raised the alligator like a bird. The alligator grew and grew until the birds decided it was time for him to fly. The alligator leaped out the nest and splashed in the water. The birds saw how happy the alligator was in the water and let him stay. This book teaches a good lesson on accepting people and things of all types. Whe ...more
Naomi Kenorak
Warning: I used to tear up while reading this book! This was one of my children’s first “favorite” books, because they could follow the story just by looking at the pictures, even before they understood the English words. A boy finds an egg on the ground next to a pond and decides it must belong to the empty nest above. He puts the egg in the nest, to the great surprise of Mr. and Mrs. Bird who return shortly thereafter. Mrs. Bird wants to know whose egg it is. Mr. Bird replies, “If an egg is in ...more
Kim T.
This was such a funny book. My son and I cracked up laughing at Mrs. Bird's expressions. Of course, this book gave us a chance to talk about birds, alligators and other creatures. We talked about similarities and differences, about how to care for a bird versus and an alligator, and more. Great book!

I secured this title from my local library.
Evan
Mr. & Mrs. Bird find an egg in their nest, so what else would they do but sit on it? When it hatches, it reveals a BIG surprise, and the new parents do their best to make due.
Alice
3.75 stars A funny and interesting book about eggs. Bird eggs, or alligator eggs? What is the difference? .. I really enjoyed this one!
Melissa
Absurd story and pictures send a great message of love and acceptance.
Mckinley
Where it all started? My fear of alligators/crocodiles.
Liam
That was not a bird baby! Silly birds!!
Camri
I think that it was good
Elanor
All by herself!
Mother&Son
Funny book!! My kids and I really enjoyed reading this together.
Dolly
Jan 08, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
Cute book for beginning readers. It's a book that our girls have grown out of, so I have to read them on my own now. It has an entertaining narrative and the big baby in the nest is very humorous. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and remind me of the author's work in Are You My Mother?, which was a favorite of our girls when they were younger.
Alissa
Mr. Bird and Mr. Bird come home one day to a rather large egg in their nest. They take care of the egg until it hatches only to find it is the strangest bird they have ever seen! Their baby "Junior" eats and eats and grows and grows. He is crowding the nest so they decide to teach him how to fly. It is only when he leaves the nest that they are able to find out who he really is.
Heather
P.D. Eastman is one of our favorite authors for early readers. His books also make wonderful read-alouds.

This is a funny book about a pair of birds who hatch an egg which doesn't contain what they think it does. My kids loved the surprise twist and laughed all the way through it.

It's a neat story about the love a parent can have for a child as well.

Nancy Vu
Flap Your Wings is a cute book about two birds caring for an egg. They kept the egg warm until it hatched. This book can connect to science because we know that we must eat in order to grow. It shows the life cycle from eggs to reptile. Also, can birds raise an alligator? This book will question the knowledge of animals and it's atmosphere. Grades 1-4.
Ron
An ebook from the Coppell library. I wanted something short so that I could give the process a try. It uses the 3M Cloud Library reader, and I don't like it compared to my kindle. It turns the pages really slow. I'll play with this some more.

Regarding the book, this is a short book that you can quickly read to your kid.
Jennifer Barczak
Great for preschoolers, not so much for my Toddler Time 2-3y.o..
Clairissa D
This is a story about two birds that pick up the wrong egg and it turns out to be an alligator and they decide to raise it and teach it how to fly. This is a good book to use to teach and introduce students to sequences and elements of a story.
Mandy J. Hoffman
A cute book about Mr. & Mrs. Bird who find an egg in their nest that does not belong to them. While the end is rather flat, the story in between does bring out the importance of being kind, no matter how different you are from each other.
Cat
Adorable and funny, this is a great book for kids. There are lessons to be learned here, so you can adjust it for ages (up to a certain point anyway). All the adults in the room enjoyed this book, plus all 21 children so 5 stars!
Mary Etta
Love this little book. As I read it to grandchildren it's parenting message inspires. Dealing with challenges early in life makes all the difference to teen years. Step 1: he/she is my child so I take care of it.
Missmath144
All kids love this story of the birds that sat on the large egg that had been left in their nest. What will come out of the egg? How will the birds care for it?
Steph
I LOVE THIS BOOK! You have to make sure you read the original version though. The later versions leave out the best part of the book!
Maren Prestegaard
I remember reading this one as a child. Maren was a little intrigued. PD Eastman is not my favorite. I prefer a little Dr. Seuss.
Randie
Two birds come home to find a strange egg in their nest. They care for it and raise the baby. Cute story about love and family.
Gweneth Moir
A wonderful story that shows in a very sweet way how males and females are compatible and share their responsibility.
Kirei
Two birds take care of an egg that appears in their nest. What kind of animal is inside????????
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Pretzel
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • The Cow That Went OINK
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Nate the Great and the Pillowcase
  • Biscuit's Big Friend
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen
More about P.D. Eastman...
Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! The Best Nest Sam and the Firefly Big Dog...Little Dog