Start by marking “Willoughby & the Moon” as Want to Read:
Willoughby & the Moon

Willoughby & the Moon

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Every night, the moon outside Willoughby's window gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller . . . until one night it disappears!

But Willoughby isn't afraid of the dark. Not really. He just wants to know where the moon went.

When he finds it in the most surprising place, he sets off on a magical adventure and meets a new friend who seems to be scared of lots of things—moon bugg
Published May 4th 2010 by Balzer + Bray (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Willoughby & the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Willoughby & the Moon

Kathryn
Nothing really held my interest here; my favorite part was the shiny silver of the moon and its creatures. It might be beneficial for children who are afraid of the dark or sleeping by themselves, but I much prefer Foley's Bear books (i.e., Don't Worry Bear).
Scott Robins
A cute story about a young boy who is perplexed when the moon disappears. He follows a snail through his closet to the moon to try and find a missing ball. The snail who is afraid of many things is encourages by Willoughby to face his fears. Books that use silver ink are instantly attractive to me, the story was satisfying if not a bit surreal and I'm sure teachers will love incorporating this book into units on the moon and space.
I liked this book! The artwork is stunning and captivating. The book is printed in black and white with silver ink. It makes for stunning pictures, though the text can be hard to read on the page in some places.

As I was reading the book, I was struck but how great this book would be in grades 3 - 5 as part of an earth/sun/moon unit. Willoughby doesn't understand why the moon disappears (a great writing prompt!) and travels to visit the moon. Not all of the details are accurate, which would be a
Relyn
Our summer school theme is NASA and space this year. So, I am teaching fiction and non-fiction about the moon, stars, and aliens. We have lots and lots of cool plans. For example, we are designing our own life-sized aliens, having spaceship races (decorated Frisbee), writing poems about what the moon is really made of: green cheese, milk, white chocolate, a pearl... Their ideas are vast and fun. As a part of summer school, we are reading tons and tons of moon, star, and alien related books. I'll ...more
Kristina
Just weird, and the graphics were too much for my eyes- ouch!
Ariel Cummins
Another adventure with Willoughby, this time to the moon! With a scaredy snail! I have the same reservations as with the first book -- the illustrations are unusual and beautiful in their usage of silver leaf, but I didn't find the writing or story particularly wonderful.

The silver is used much more heavily in this title than the gold was in Willoughby and the Lion, to the point where I find it slightly overwhelming.

An interesting and pretty book, but not my favorite.
Rebecca
This follow-up to Willoughby and the Lion has the same fantastic illustration style that is unlike anything else. Instead of gold ink, this one has silver. I didn't like the story as much (I'm not sure I understood), but the near black-and-white blending of cartoon and photo was still awesome. Points for the map of the moon, including the INSIDE of the moon (??).
Mary
This is a great example of how children's imaginations can work. When something is a mystery, they can very often create reasons why it happens.
The images in this book are very interesting because they are only in black and white. The main character is very brave, and through his bravery, he makes new friends.
Sandy
Strange book about a boy who goes to the moon through a door in his bedroom and finds a giant snail who is looking for his silver ball. However, both the boy and the snail each have qualities that the other do not, so they learn something from each other. C. 2010, Genre-fantasy
Michelle
I loved this book for so many reasons. It was completely unexpected (snail on the moon in his closet), fun pictures (shiny silver and pretty), the moon diagram (showing craters and interior) and a cute message about conquering fears.
Erin
Another gorgeous and cool books from Greg Foley. Using blacks and silver this time the drawings are magnificent and the story is very clever.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I liked the illustrations especially the silvery pages, but something seemed missing from the story for me.
Angela
Another adventure for Willoughby - the artwork is very modern and keeps both mom & Cooper interested.
Gwen
The illustrations in this book are very interesting- very shiny and very black.
Daniel
I love the black, white, and silver palette, and this is a good book about courage.
Timothy
A very charming children's book about childhood fears and the moon.
Brandielle
A wonderful picture book with a definite science edge.
Robin Blackburn
Robin Blackburn marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Maya Mosher
Maya Mosher marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Award-winning author-illustrator Greg Foley grew up in Austin, Texas, and attended the Rhode Island School of Design. He now designs and creative-directs Visionaire, V Magazine, VMAN, VFiles and lives in Greenwich Village, New York.

For more information visit the Greg Foley author page on Facebook!
More about Greg E. Foley...
Thank You Bear Don't Worry Bear Willoughby & the Lion Good Luck Bear Purple Little Bird