The Internet is a Playground

The Internet is a Playground

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,083 ratings  ·  409 reviews
The complete collection of articles and emails from 27bslash6 such as Overdue Account, Party in Apartment 3 and Strata Agreement plus articles too litigious to be on the website.
218 pages
Published by Fontaine Press (first published 2011)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsL.A. Success by Hans C. FreelacOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisLamb by Christopher Moore
Funniest Books Ever
42nd out of 187 books — 148 voters
xkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellDreamless by Bobby CrosbyGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglio
Best of the Web
121st out of 147 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark

Since I have moved here (6 months ago) and we got a fence, the lawn people have refused to mow my backyard. They haven't done it once...no matter what the hell I do! Thus, here are my frustrations that I wish I could tell them if they did have email and if we actually did correspond...

And here's my own creative review in the style of David Thorne:

Resident of: #114

We regret to inform you that we cannot mow your lawn due to:

☑ Pets
☑ Pet feces
☑ Outside toys

Please use the appropriate measures and w...more
Belinda Guiness
Please do future readers a favor by placing a warning on the cover of the book. The warning needs to state something to the effect of: "Warning. Do not begin this book if you have anything important scheduled in the next several hours. Also, do not begin reading this book in a public place where you may be the victim of scorn for laughing so hard you snort. Please do not read this book at bedtime, as loss of sleep will result. Further, please do not read this book if you have no sense of humor a...more
Jennie
May 03, 2011 Jennie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tucker Max fans, /b/tards
Shelves: humor, non-fiction, satire
Thorne's humor is decidedly hit or miss. His shenanigans with religions demagogues and a pompous blowhard of a coworker (who demands he makes a logo. With pie charts. For free) are laugh out loud funny, but many of the pranks are juvenile, crass, mean-spirited, or just simply not funny.

Personally, I'm not a fan of humor had at the expense of others if it's easy. Someone who satirizes power, like Colbert in his now infamous 2006 White House Correspondence Dinner address, is brave. Someone who pic...more
Mike

A round-up -- a lot of okay gags and writing, a few gems. The allure for me was Thorne's transcripts of email conversations, where he basically annoys the crap out of co-workers, bureaucratic functionaries, and internet trolls. I laughed a few times, and generally enjoyed the book, 'though reading at Thorne's website might reap the same benefits while allowing you the comfort of skipping past anything that isn't quite working.

Meanwhile, I love to play pranks. Here is a great idea for a prank:

Sta...more
oriana
mid-read: So hmm. This very well illustrates one of the big issues with the blog-to-book phenomenon. David Thorne is a hilarious dick, and he's known mostly for these ridiculous email exchanges he (supposedly) has with actual hapless morons, like the Blockbuster clerk, the volunteer chaplain at his son's school, his new neighbor, his building manager, etc. And as short quick standalone pieces, these really are awesome (provided you don't think too hard about his poor naïve prey).

But the publish...more
Susan Howson
1. Some people deserve to be messed with, and some don't. A person doing their job and collecting an unpaid bill, or a cop doing due diligence, or a cat owner who is worried sick...I'm not sure there's any reason to be so self-congratulatory about making their lives miserable.

2. Speaking of self-congratulatory, the entire book could just say "I'm really proud of myself" over and over, and it would have had the same effect.

3. While many parts are funny, and Thorne knows how to write, cleverness...more
Emma Sea
1) Equal parts hilarious and cringe-inducing.

2) I am so grateful I do not live near, work with, or have to interact on any professional level with Mr Thorne.

3) I want the story on page 195 to be true more than I have wanted anything since the conclusion of series six of Lost.

3.5, rounded down.
William Bentrim
The Internet Is A Playground by David Thorne

David Thorne is impossible to critique. I suspect you will either love him or hate him as I don’t see a lot of middle ground. This is a collection of his musings on his website noted below.

This book reads like the diary of a bi-polar satirist. Thorne appears to do all the things that we often wish we had to courage to do. He responds to inanity with insanity. I suspect that hospitalization may have been necessary for some of the recipients of his bran...more
Dave Espionage
I discovered that David Thorne had a book around the same time that I had discovered that reading the phrase "cactus with a hat" inspired mild asphyxiation in me. The specific article that lost me a good hour was "Missing Missy," and for some reason the idea of having that in book form sounded just dandy.

For starters, the table of contents amuses me endlessly. Be warned, however, that for many, this book will annoy your spouse. If your sense of humor does not overlap with your spouse's in the v...more
Julie (julie37619)
We're all fairly familiar with the concept of trolling right? The author of this blog-turned-book is basically a troll who publishes his internet interactions with friends, co-workers and anonymous strangers on his site/blog (27bslash6). The thing about the book is that it's funny and entertaining enough at first. But the more you read, the more you start to get the sense that the humor isn't clever or anything above the ordinary - the trolling consists mainly of making fun of people on the inte...more
Patrick
Parts of it were truly, amazingly funny, but other parts came across as needlessly cruel, if not outright dickish.

For example, mocking the guy who e-mails you and calls you a douche is fair play. Have at him. But browbeating your kid's teacher until she backs off the punishment she gave your kid because he broke the rules.... it's just not the same thing.

The funny parts were truly funny though. Good humor with a strong tinge of the ridiculous. Very much to my taste.
Scott
One of the most influential literary works of our time! THE INTERNET IS A PLAYGROUND is a dazzling and original achievement by the masterful David Thorne. This is the first piece of literature since the Book of Genesis that should be required reading for the entire human race....David Thorne has done nothing less than to create in the reader a sense of all that is profound, meaningful, and meaningless in life.
Amy Adams
I got this as an ARC, and I thought, "Hm, this might make a fun bathroom book." After about thirty seconds reading, I was hooked. I carried it around with me and read it every time I had a free second. It only lasted a couple of days, but they were a hilarious couple of days. My favorite piece is definitely about Missy's Lost cat. I giggle just thinking about it.
Arminzerella
Lindsay

An insight into the mind of someone who has plumbed the depths of despair with the stupidity of a certain segment of humanity. Someone who has had one brush too many with the blunt instruments that are the rules and regulations imposed upon us by various authorities, to save us from exercising our own common sense and judgment.

I came across the website http://www.27bslash6.com/ from which this book sprang via the links posted periodically on... every forum on the internet... to stories such as '...more
Scott Millington
Ok, David Thornes book The Internet is a Playground is hilarious. It is hard to write a review for this book as there is two versions, this edition and the much larger "Black Label" edition available only from his website which contains more articles. I have both versions and recommend the black label edition but regardless, this is without a doubt the most hilarious book I have ever read. Not just funny, laugh out loud, sides hurting funny. There is some swear words throughout the book but noth...more
Christine
Jun 06, 2010 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trolls, people who enjoy Schadenfreude
Recommended to Christine by: Jeremy
Shelves: read-fiction
On the internet, it's not hard to find people that use the anonymity to be a contrarian, absurd, or just an asshole. What is rare to find someone who is so committed to being a smartass that they will place enough identifying information to attract anger (and lawsuits) to their real life. He does acknowledge some friends in the preface, although I can't imagine they really exist.

This book is a collection of material from the website 27b/6, from south Australian graphic designer David Thorne. It...more
Terry Collins
A true gut-buster of hilarity. You might have seen a few of the pieces floating around on the Internet (in particular, the infamous "Simon's Pie Charts" or "Missing Missy"), but I'm here to say an entire collected volume of the good, the bad and the often very ugly delivers more laughs than is humanly possible. We're talking shake the entire bed chortling if reading late at night. We're cleaning up expelled food and drink from noses if reading while eating. We're sending links to friends with "Y...more
Kate Woods Walker
OK. I laughed like an idiot.

I remember the foggot stuff from a link on a message board I frequent. So funny. I had no idea this guy had a website, so thanks, Internets, for giving me someone else's brilliance to admire. Because now I want to read more and learn from this master. If only I could learn to reply to invitations I didn't receive, hear questions that weren't asked and offer barter art when money is requested. Oh, to have his email jujitsu skills! What a world it would be!

Well, I salu...more
Joel Miller
One of the funniest books I have ever read. David Thorne is one funny guy. There were parts in this book that really did make me laugh out loud.
Alberto
If you have already read his website, most of the chapters on this book will be pretty familiar to you. If not, then you are on for a book full of the best black humour and sarcasm out there.

With an ability to come up with the best comebacks on a conversation and be extremely annoying, David Thorne manages to get some of the most funny conversations i have ever read on a single book.

I fully reccomend it to open minded people who like to have a good laugh and don't mind going beyond moralistic b...more
Pamela
I think I discovered David Thorne, of 26bslash7 on Twitter. Maybe from one of the nerdaliciously awesome people I follow, like Charlie Stross or Cory Doctorow. Of course, I had to click over to the website. I promptly put in an interlibrary loan request for his first book (^^^this one, duh), after reading of his travails with Penguin (the publishing house, not the fashion people).

If you are looking for a book to make you laugh so hard that you start to make gasping, hiccuping, wheezing noises d...more
হাঁটুপানির জলদস্যু
সাড়ে তিন। হাসতে হাসতে পেট ব্যথা হয়ে গেছে এটা পড়ে। গড়ছোঁয়া লেখাও আছে কিছু। ডেভিড থর্নের রসবোধ দারুণ। বদের হাড্ডি একটা।
Emma
Mar 05, 2014 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to laugh
Shelves: lol, hilarious
I am so happy that I found this book. I've been looking for something to make me laugh really hard, something sarcastic and awesome in every way, something that doesn't try too hard to be funny, but simply is, and I ran into this book.
I'm definitely going to read the second book by David Thorne
My only problem with this is that I can't seem to find other books with this type of humor. Looking on Amazon would recommend novels or books about the internet, and I love the wittiness and smartassery...more
Vincent Russo
This book is a various account of David Thorne trolling people, primarily within the contexts of email exchanges. The form and style of humor is one of the best, it's dry, witty, situational, and generally cynical. I must say I relate quite highly to David Thorne's particular style of comedy, and greatly enjoyed reading this book. Excellent read for a good laugh.
Anna
I literally had tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks as I read this. Not all of the exchanges are as funny as that but it was certainly a lot of fun reading this book. I especially loved the one about the neighbor with the floodlight. I fell out of my chair in hysterics after reading that, which probed my mother's questions of my mental health, but who cares?
Michael Parker
After thoroughly reading about a quarter of the book, I realized that I only enjoyed reading the email correspondence, so I simply skipped to those parts.

It's a very funny read, but best to just read the emails on his website which is free to read and doesn't have any filler material.

27bslash6.com
Schnaucl
I was throughly entertained and had frequent bouts of laughter.

I'm confident that if I got into an actual e-mail exchange with Thorne I'd be incredibly annoyed rather than amused, but as long as it's happening to someone else it's amusing.
Tina
I don't much laugh out loud while reading. And I certainly never "LOL". But this book had me snorting with laughter time and again. Thorne's pranks, cranks and comebacks are perfect for the more cynical and sarcastic among us.
Sam
Hysterical. I loved the pie graphs. I read this in less than a day, so it had to be good. My only knock on the book was that I liked the emails better than the other parts of the book.
  • Emails from an Asshole: Real People Being Stupid
  • Cyanide and Happiness
  • You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News: Shocking but Utterly True Facts
  • This is a Book
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • The Numbers Game: The Commonsense Guide to Understanding Numbers in the News, in Politics, and in Life
  • Arcadian Genesis (Alex Hunter, #0.5)
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
  • The Will to Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word for It
  • Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny
  • Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts
  • Toothpaste for Dinner
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Books of Adam: The Blunder Years
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • xkcd: volume 0
David Thorne is an Australian humourist, satirist, Internet personality and New York Times best-selling author. His work has been featured on the BBC, The Late Show with David Letterman, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Thorne gained public recognition in late 2008 for an email exchange in which he attempts to pay an overdue bill with a drawing of a seven-legged spider....more
More about David Thorne...
I'll Go Home Then, It's Warm and Has Chairs. The Unpublished Emails.

“Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.” 29 likes
“While I do not have a boyfriend, I do have a friend who is homosexual and I once asked him "Do you ever think about having sex with me because you are gay?" to which he replied "Do you ever think about having sex with Rosie O'Donnell because you are straight? Same thing.” 11 likes