Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most

Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Leadership expert Michael Fullen reveals six core practices for today's leaders. In his previous best-selling books, Michael Fullan examined the concepts and processes of change. Now he turns his focus to the core practices of leadership that are so vital for leading in today's complex world.
Published August 16th 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published July 26th 2011)

NSAA Group
We live in a challenging, complex, inter-connected and unpredictable world beset by a range of seemingly insoluble problems. But, says Michael Fullan—an internationally acclaimed authority on organizational change—we have an increasing understanding of how to tackle complex change. This involves developing a new kind of leader: one who recognizes what is needed to bring about deep and lasting changes in living systems at all levels. These leaders need a deep understanding of what motivates us as...more
Melanie
I approached this book skeptically, wondering what light it could shed on my current role as an administrator at a college; however, years ago I had liked Fullan's previous What's Worth Fighting For in your School, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did. While I won't necessarily see myself using some of the language he does, e.g., "simplexity" or "impressive empathy," I very much appreciated his ability to put into words some of what I had observed during a stressful period of change at my instit...more
Dmitri Pavlov
The book is ok, not the greatest, but a nice read. It has some good ideas about simplicity and collaboration. I really enjoyed the Canadian education system examples.
Diana Suddreth
Fullan practices what he preaches by approaching leadership with simplexity. With only seven key principles that are profoundly simple and insightful, Fullan advises the reading leader to become introspective and learn. The book is easy to read, yet rich with information. The insights and advice will serve any learning leader well.
David
I enjoyed the book. It was an easy read and straight forward. Fullan unpacked a lot of the dense and nonsense in leadership literature. He provided a common sense approach of change leadership that centered around experience and growth with theory playing a secondary role to guide the leader to improve practice.
Jeffrey Lambert
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. An excellent read for the aspiring leader in today's changing business environment. As a future school administrator, the lessons are useful in the world of education as well, and the other references academic institutions often throughout the book.
Shirley
This is an easy to read practical book about what change leaders need to do to lead change in our ever more complex world. Fullan combines some theory with seven simple practices that will support a leader's effort to lead and implement change.
Kristyan
A very engaging read with a consistent message on how to develop yourself into an expert leader of change. Varied examples from across the western world, though education is the primary focus. Definitely worth a look.
Dave Moyer
Fullan is the Master--put him on the Mt. Rushmore of Leadership.
Alex
I really enjoyed. I always refer to it every once in awhile at work.
Terry
Will share this with the managers on my team
Tracey
Tracey added it
Jul 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Marion Mouton
Marion Mouton marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Bob Wallner
Bob Wallner marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Brenda Shannon
Brenda Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
TJ
TJ is currently reading it
May 30, 2014
Lucy Gray
Lucy Gray marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Nagesh
Nagesh marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Marc
Marc added it
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Leading in a Culture of Change The Six Secrets of Change: What the Best Leaders Do to Help Their Organizations Survive and Thrive Motion Leadership: The Skinny on Becoming Change Savvy The Moral Imperative of School Leadership The New Meaning of Educational Change