Start by marking “The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Watercolor Impressions” as Want to Read:
The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Watercolor Impressions

The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Watercolor Impressions

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  13 reviews
From the vaults of Academy Award-winning director, Hayao Miyazaki! Original watercolor illustrations used as concept sketches for both the manga and film versions of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Take a peek behind the curtain to see the creative process of the most acclaimed anime director in the world today. This full-color, over-sized, hardcover book also includes ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Jlawrence
Yeesh - the title's misspelled in this Amazon/Goodreads listing - "Nausicaa of the...." not "Nausicaf".

I've grown disenchanted with much of anime, but I still love Miyazaki's work. This collection of watercolor artwork (and a few sketches) for the movie and manga forms of "Nausicaa" is filled with fantastic art and many notes from Miyazaki about the history behind the pictures. A good number of amusing anecdotes about the harried production of the serialized manga, and the magazine covers he was
Jaimie
Whle I greatly admire Miyazaki's artwork, I found this book to be highly disappointing. The artwork included seems to be radnomly chosen (and missing a lot of the typical content of an artbook, such as preliminary character designs) and the commentary is absolutely terrible.
Erik
A collection of covers, storyboards, and brainstorming pieces, as well as first-person accounts by Miyazaki on creating the manga and film. A good coffee table book.
Jewel
watercolors are the best. why can't they release a book like this for Princess Mononoke?
Krystle
The first two sections include some beautiful artwork, although the commentary can be hilariously bare-bones at times.
- I don't even remember this one.
- I don't remember what I drew this for.
- I have no idea when I drew this.
- This has nothing to do with the story and was very hard to draw.
- Pants: Pants are pants.
Truly enlightening.

The third section ("The Way to Nausicaä") is the highlight, with Miyazaki explaining the changes in ideas and the evolution of art/visuals leading up to the final
Jordan
So pretty. Nausicaä is possibly my favorite of Miyazaki's stuff.
John Henery
Full of great artwork!
James Schneider
It is difficult to describe how much pleasure I found spending time with so many of Hayao Miyazaki's watercolor paintings for the manga and film versions of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. This book is beautifully produced, and Miyazaki's commentary throughout is rye and frank in a delightful way.
Amy
I love Miyazaki. I was disappointed in this book only a bit--it had a lot more space it could have filled with drawings or interviews that it left blank as white space.
Nomad
The interview on Miyazaki was very interesting, honest and humorous. The book also has many watercolor illustrations and sketches from Nausicaa. 5/5!!
Alvin Bastman
Beautiful book. No more need to say.
Theo Lafleur
aaaaaaaaaAAAAAA
William J. Meyer
Just gorgeous!
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Yuma&LenVocaloids
Yuma&LenVocaloids marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Anj Kumar
Anj Kumar marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Myitreya もののけ
Myitreya もののけ marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Stephen Haller
Stephen Haller marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Diamond Keeling
Diamond Keeling marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Lauren Paletta
Lauren Paletta marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of Wreck-It Ralph
  • CLAMPノ絵シゴト South Side
  • The Art of Pixar Short Films
  • The Art of WALL.E
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Art of the Lion King (Miniature Series)
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings
  • The Art of the Matrix
  • Drawing Down the Moon: The Art of Charles Vess
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao Takahata, then to N
More about Hayao Miyazaki...
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1) The Art of Spirited Away Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1 The Art of Howl's Moving Castle Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)