Start by marking “What Makes a Rainbow?” as Want to Read:
What Makes a Rainbow?

What Makes a Rainbow?

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  77 reviews
A rainbow of ribbons magically appears when you open the pages of this innovative book! Toddlers will love listening to the charming story and seeing a different colored ribbon with the turn of each page -- and the last pop-up spread is sure to delight! What a fun way to learn colors!
Board Book, 12 pages
Published February 1st 2000 by Piggy Toes Press

To ask other readers questions about What Makes a Rainbow?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Makes a Rainbow?

Maggie
I gave this book 4 stars because the last page with the cardboard pop-up does not fit with the rest of the books quality and feel.

Betty Schwartz and Dona Turner have provided me with a wonderful tool for teaching colors. This story follows the white rabbit who is looking to learn the colors that make up a rainbow. Each page turn greets you with a different color and other creatures, flowers and plants that share it.

My favorite page is Orange... " "Mr. Fox, what makes a rainbow?" asked Little Ra
Sarah Sammis
What Makes a Rainbow by Betty Ann Schwartz teaches children about colors and about the basic science of what causes a rainbow to appear and it does it in an engaging way.

A young bunny and his mother are caught in a summer rainstorm. The mother comments that soon there will be a rainbow and her child wants to know why she knows this. She tells him to ask all the other animals "what makes a rainbow?"

Each animal (appropriately colored) answers with a color starting from red and going through to pur
Colin
Okay, the ribbon thing really does seem like magic. And I imagine it's a good way to teach your kid colors -- right now it's more of an instructional device for our daughter to learn how to yank on loose objects.

But I enjoy reading the story to her. The first page, which sets the scene, runs a little long, and she usually opts to skip it.

After that you're into the narrative of a bunny asking his forest friends what comprises a rainbow. Not surprisingly, each animal seems to hype his or her own p
Dee
This is a pretty awesome color book. Each page has a ribbon that adds to the rainbow and makes it a whole one by the end. I feel like by the end we get a lot of flower and butterflies, but I really like the book with its bright colors and artsy illustrations. Great book!
Audrey
This book wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I opened the first page and thought it was so weird that there was a red ribbon that connected the two pages. Then I turned the page and gasped. I realized there was a ribbon rainbow! I love all of the rainbow colors together, so naturally I appreciated this book. I have never seen something like that in a book before, and it made me really happy. The story wasn't the best I had ever read, but to be honest I was paying more attention to the ribbon ...more
Charlene Mitchell
Can be used with toddlers when not read word-by-word.
Ashley Whiteley
This magic ribbon book is cute and fun. It is colorful and the ribbons are unique. It would be a great book for little kids. They would be enchanted.
Amber
What Makes a Rainbow illustrates, using threaded ribbons on each page, all the colors in a rainbow. The story follows little rabbit as he asks fellow animals what makes a rainbow. Each animal, of course, has a different answer. Preschoolers and toddlers enjoy this book and it is a great way to talk and reinforce learning about colors.

At the very end you have a rainbow. We really enjoy this book and it is an easy /fast read.
Janin
The ribbon rainbow in this book is an absolute wonder as each page adds another color until the entire rainbow is revealed. Watching it emerge is a delight, even for a grown up. My son enjoyed it so much he wore through our first copy and I had to buy another one.
Mary Jane
Jun 29, 2009 Mary Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little kids
Recommended to Mary Jane by: Whitney Bird
We got this book as a gift when our son was born. It is WONDERFUL!!! My 7 year old likes it as much as the 2 year old. The pictures and ribbons are so much fun. It is worth the purchase to have at home, if you have little kids. It is a great gift, too!
Angie
We got this one when my almost 4-yr-old was a baby. It has been one all of my kids love reading. Cute illustrations. The ribbon rainbow that you build through out is a lot of fun, too. A fun way to work on colors with your littles.
Dolly
May 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, science
This is a fun and innovative book that incorporates a sequence of ribbons that together form the colors of the rainbow. It's a simple board book, fairly sturdy for multiple readings and is highly entertaining for young readers.
Jenni
My daughter loves this book! My heart melted at B&N when she begged and begged for it, and the book has been well worth the money that I paid for it. She knows it by heart and loves to read it to her baby brother!
Clare
Super cute. On each page, there are colored ribbons that add up to a rainbow at the book of the book. We read it to Clare one time. She loved it and requested it every night. The remaining nights, she read it to us.
Amanda
Neat way to show the colors of a rainbow with ribbons of each color (although they use purple instead of indigo and violet). Perfect for a first color book, though, and a possible easy reader too.
Katie Casey
A very unique book with a ribbon rainbow. Each page another ribbon appears building a rainbow. Kids love it!
Martin
A charming little board book, complete with the "magic ribbons", this one will delight pre-schoolers with cute illustrations and eye-popping colours. Simply adorable.
Susan
Children will like learning how a rainbow is made while watching the colorful ribbons make a rainbow as they turn each page. Delightful and fun!
Nate
This is a really fun book. The best part is watching each new ribbon pull out to show the next color of the rainbow. It really is like magic.
Heather
This will go well with the Signing Time song "Do You Know The Colors of The Rainbow". The use of ribbons for the rainbow is creative.
Bree
Notes:
always a favorite
not a huge fan of the story, but ribbons are great
at this age we embellish stories anyway
Shelby
When I was little I really enjoyed this book. It was really cool how it had the ribbons on each page.
jenna nims
Caroline loves reading this book to me - I think she loves being dramatic with all of the voices in the book.
Paul
The ribbons make the beautiful mystery of the rainbow palatable and palpable for the bunny reader.
Awilliams
A colorful ribbon book; could be used as a trade book for teaching colors within a Pre-K classroom.
Gina Diloreto
Schwartz, B. "What makes a rainbow?". (2000). Inglewood, CA: Piggy Toes Press.

This is a book that my kids have loved from a young age. A little rabbit wants to know what makes a rainbow, so he goes around asking each animal/insect that represents a different color. For example, a lady bug for red, a fox for orange, a chick for yellow, etc. As you turn each page, a ribbon of a corresponding color is added in, until at the end, you have a full ribbon rainbow! It's informational also, in the fact t
the Reeds
the little one likes the ribbonsof color and we read it again and again and again...
Robin Ramsey
My son absolutely loves the book, and especially the ribbons that appear on the pages!
Cara Stone
I adored this book and have gifted it twice to little ones for various occasions!
Michelle
With beautiful ribbons inside this book, children learn about the colors of a rainbow.
MCC Children's Li...: Childrens Books 2 4 Feb 12, 2012 10:01AM
  • Where Is Baby's Mommy?: A Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Touch and Feel: Farm
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Noni The Pony
  • Clifford's First Snow Day
  • My Big Animal Book
  • I Love My Daddy Because...
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Waddle!
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • Amazing Airplanes
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Eight Silly Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Fifteen Animals!
Amazing Pull The Ribbon Book: One To Ten And Back Again What Makes Music: A Magic Ribbon Book (Magic Ribbon Books) Fly, Ghost, Fly! What Color Should I Be? The Twelve Days Of Christmas