Start by marking “Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)” as Want to Read:

This new edition surveys the major approaches and methods in language teaching. This new edition is an extensive revision of the first edition of this successful text. Like the first edition, it surveys the major approaches and methods in language teaching, such as grammar translation, audiolingualism, communicative language teaching, and the natural approach. This edition ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 278 pages
Published March 12th 2001 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching

Paras2
Jun 20, 2017 Paras2 rated it it was ok
better than Brown but still, not a fan of teaching 😑
هدير
Sep 12, 2014 هدير rated it liked it
It was one of references in ELT “English Language Teaching “. It can be considered as a good historical background in methods of teaching. Starting from the First method which was used in classic languages, especially Latin, till modern methods which are used in teaching modern languages.

It gives full details about all methods, their designs and the syllabuses related to them. So the book will be very useful to you If you want to create a new method of teaching language :D .

Once I don’t wanna
Steve
Jan 20, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
I used this book for my second Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL) class at Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) during the fall of 2011. It was one of two texts (the first of which I am reviewing). In it, I learned about Charles Curran, a Loyola University Chicago psychology professor. I was surprised I'd never heard of him, as Loyola was my alma matter for both undergraduate and a Ph.D. (though not a master's in psychology). Curran applied humanistic psychological theo ...more
Ne.
Aug 09, 2009 Ne. rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive survey & analysis of the major & minor teaching methods used around the world with explaining the assumptions behind them presisely. The book have been divided in2 3 main sections: Section 1 deals with major trends in twentienth century lg. teaching. The 2nd section deals with alternative approches & methods which have attracted support @ different times in different places throughout the last 30 years, but have not been widely accepted or have not maintained ...more
Andreas Aris
Jan 08, 2013 Andreas Aris rated it really liked it
A good reference especially for those who are interested in foreign language teaching. A pretty interesting book. I read the copy of the book, and it took me almost 15 years until I could purchase the original version.
B
Dec 19, 2011 B rated it liked it
Useful information, but definitely not written with the reader in mind. They seem to get stuck on definitions and technicalities.
E
Jul 02, 2014 E rated it did not like it
a sheer piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best fuckshit you can read.
Seamaiden
Jun 16, 2014 Seamaiden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-related
A really interesting book, even though it is hard to read some times.
كادي حكمت
Jun 27, 2016 كادي حكمت rated it it was amazing
The book summarizes the methods which are used during the last century in the domain of teaching a foreign language . A great effort ; I think it is a "MUST" for every student of Linguistics. I took it as a course and I read it for the second time as I am preparing myself now for the Comprehension Exam to get my M.A. the addition I am using is the second one but on YouTube I watched an interview with auther telling that a third one was lately published Where he is refreshing the information and ...more
Budi Kurniawan
Jun 26, 2012 Budi Kurniawan rated it really liked it
A comprehensive, complete but concise book that collects approaches and methods in language teaching. The contents are ranged from the most old methods to the most modern one. It is interesting to note that the book also faces toward the post-method era, although in many aspects the approaches and methods are still studied and researched to adapt with the needs of students and context.
Roya
Jan 08, 2015 Roya rated it it was ok
OK, so, here's the deal: I had to read this book for the Teaching Methodology AKA Torture class and I hated EVERY SINGLE MINUTE I spent reading it.Every single one. So, two is enough. More than enough. It's generous, it's benevolent, for Christ's sake.
Molly Montgomery
Aug 22, 2016 Molly Montgomery rated it it was ok
Not particularly helpful for learning about language teaching. It presents a bunch of mostly outdated methods that are not commonly used and doesn't really give any advice for which ones work well, saying that more research needs to be done to determine which methods are actually effective.
Khansa Thamir
Feb 28, 2012 Khansa Thamir rated it liked it
review of the history of language teaching. I studied it twice. It's informative, but all the methods are not new -- I'm not sure if they can be applied.
Dunya Al-Mishqab
Jun 21, 2011 Dunya Al-Mishqab rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I studied this book for Principles of Language Teaching course in college. It was good.
Ngô Huy
good
Tabian Tello
Apr 28, 2016 Tabian Tello marked it as to-read
Very good is the book
Nura.m
Jan 13, 2017 Nura.m rated it it was ok
I think it is good as a reference or historical background of Linguistics' trends or teaching approaches, but it is really boring and too detailed.
Ilona Zielkowska
Jul 14, 2014 Ilona Zielkowska rated it liked it
Shelves: language
Easy to follow and understand but slightly boring
A moment of peace
historucal background of English teaching methods!
Susan Bybee
Jan 19, 2012 Susan Bybee rated it really liked it
My very favorite was "Suggestopedia". I'd love to see that and some of the others being carried out.
Sebah Al-Ali
Sep 07, 2009 Sebah Al-Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: elt-material
It might be boring at first, but as you move on, you'll find a lot to learn. I enjoyed reading it.
Joshua
Sep 16, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Very useful information for a new teacher of languages.
Matthew
Sep 03, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
One of the more clear, no-nonsense overviews available. I've read about 20 similar overviews, so...
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Basyuni Almamari
Basyuni Almamari rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2017
Orquídea
Orquídea rated it really liked it
May 26, 2009
Manal Shrief
Manal Shrief rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Mo
Mo rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
  • Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
  • Designing Language Courses: A Guide for Teachers
  • How to Teach Vocabulary
  • Grammar Practice Activities: A Practical Guide for Teachers
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
Born in New Zealand, Dr. Richards obtained a Master of Arts degree with first class honours in English from Victoria University in Wellington, New Zealand, in 1966. He obtained his Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics from Laval University (a French-Language University) in Quebec City, Canada in 1972.

He has worked in many parts of the world, including New Zealand, Canada, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong,
More about Jack C. Richards...

Cambridge Language Teaching Library (1 - 10 of 72 books)
  • Affect in Language Learning
  • Appropriate Methodology and Social Context
  • Beyond Methodology: Second Language Teaching and the Community
  • Beyond Training
  • Classroom Decision Making: Negotiation and Process Syllabuses in Practice
  • Collaborative Action Research for English Language Teachers
  • Collaborative Language Learning and Teaching
  • Communicating Naturally in a Second Language: Theory and Practice in Language Teaching
  • Communicative Language Teaching
  • Communicative Methodology in Language Teaching: The Roles of Fluency and Accuracy