Start by marking “Civil Disobedience” as Want to Read:
Civil Disobedience

Read Book* *Different edition

Civil Disobedience

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,722 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
Originally published in 1849 as "Resistance to Civil Government," Thoreau's classic essay on resistance to the laws and acts of government that he considered unjust was largely ignored until the Twentieth Century when Mohandas Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr. and anti-Vietnam War activists applied Thoreau's principles.
Published September 1st 2000 by Applewood Books (first published January 1st 1849)

peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرامی و خردگرا، در زمینۀ « نافرمانی مدنی» این کتابِ 55 صفحه ای رو انتخاب کردم، چون تعبيرِ «نافرماني مدني» براي اولين بار در قرنِ نوزدهم، در آمریکا، از سويِ همین نویسنده «هنري ديويد ثرو» ابداع و بکار برده شد
نافرماني مدني، مفهومي پيچيده و چند سويه در فرهنگ سياسي غرب هستش... اقدامي با انگيزۀ سياسي و اخلاقي، علني و مسالمت آميز براي اعتراض نسبت به رفتارِ قواي دولتي، كه حداقل از منظرِ چگونگي امر، نقض قانون مشخصي را به همراه داره
عزیزان، نویسنده بارها و بارها اعتراضاتِ درست و خردمندانه ای نسبت ب
Chris_P
Or how to not let yourself be manipulated by any kind of authority.An essay that states some of the basic ideas of being a human being, the way I see it. It should be taught in schools.

The progress from a total to a restricted monarchy, and from a restricted monarchy to democracy, is a progress toward real respect for the individual. However, is democracy, as we know it, the last possible improvement of governing?

I wonder what he'd say if he saw what we define as democracy today...
Rachel
Sep 11, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm still pondering what I think about this essay, so I'm not quite sure what I'd like to say about it yet. It is different than what I expected. I always thought of Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" as the work that inspired non-violent protests like 1960s sit-ins and Ghandi's hunger strikes--and it IS an inspiration, but it is not about those types of actions, as far as I can tell.

Thoreau, rather, suggests that people should just withdraw from an unjust government (and this, to Thoreau inc
Riku Sayuj
Sep 29, 2011 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Was a wonderful experience to read it in parallel with The Prince.
Saman
Apr 16, 2015 Saman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I might have liked this book ten years ago. Now it's just too basic. The ideas represented here seem so obvious, if of course, you believe what Thoreau says is the right way to do things. I don't believe his theory of individual civil disobedience would actually work in today's world.
What is more is that the book is written in such a dry manner that it almost takes all the joy out of reading it.
I'll never understand how this book got so many 5 star reviews.
Beatrice Santos
A Desobediência Civil é um manifesto semi-anárquico de alguém que há muito perdeu a fé e a consideração que tinha pelo Estado e o Governo. A aversão é tanta que Thoreau diz que devemos todos combatê-lo numa forma activa, deixando de pagar impostos, mesmo que isso signifique a cadeia, e condena aqueles que, com preocupações como família e estabilidade, se deixam ir numa letargia em relação à justiça.

O autor defende ainda que se for preciso, devemos tomar uma atitude eremita. "Temos de viver so
Vale
Sono nato troppo in alto per essere posseduto,
per essere il secondo, al controllo,
o l'utile servo e strumento
di qualsiasi stato sovrano del mondo.

L'idea del potere reale di un Governo è la più grande fandonia messa in atto dall'umanità. Purtroppo Thoreau è un genio ed è quindi destinato ad una visione del mondo troppo complicata per i suoi contemporanei e troppo moderna per la nostra contemporaneità.

Se quest'anno un migliaio di persone non pagassero le tasse non si tratterebbe di un'azione viol
Alberto
Five stars for the importance of the topic Thoreau discusses; one star because his answer is absurdly wrong (and simplistic).

I know that this is supposed to be a classic, and even Gandhi cited it as inspiration. My opinion is, unfortunately, quite different. Civil Disobedience amounts to a tract in favor of anarchism. Some choice quotes...
That government is best which governs not at all.

[The state's] very Constitution is the evil.

Beyond the high-flying rhetoric, let's look at his more reasoned a
Mohammad Ali
Sep 29, 2014 Mohammad Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: سیاست
متن خود نافرمانی مدنی و همچنین افزوده های این جزوه ی الکترونیکی بسیار جالب و جذاب بودند. البته برای من بیشتر از نفس این اثر و رویکردهاش، زندگی شخص ثورو و عملکردهاش جالب و گیرا بودند. باید اذعان کرد که افزوده ها واقعا بجا و مناسبند.

در مورد ترجمه باید متاسفانه اذعان کرد که ترجمه ی اصل مقاله ی نافرمانی مدنی متوسط و گاهی زیر متوسط است - البته اصل مقاله هم ابهاماتی دارد و من چند جایی که به آن مراجعه کردم مشکلی برایم حل نشد و جملات گرچه به نحو لغوی فهم می شدند اما منظور نویسنده گنگ باقی می ماند. در مو
Martha Sweeney
Mar 24, 2015 Martha Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Needed a break from editing and read Civil Disobedience for the first time. Loved it. It's a key piece of literature that I think everyone should read, not just in America, but all over the world concerning everything that is occurring in governments all across the world.

Peace - Love - Prosperity - Happiness to You and Everyone
nanette
Thoreau's dreamland lies in Civil Disobedience (CD). It is fictional--unrealistic. Thoreau's life speaks more than his 'work.' I found CD to be pompous and wondered how it would read differently had a friendly stranger not paid his fine for which he spent but one night in jail (which account makes him an expert on the pangs of incarceration, so he thinks, and is an embarrassment of himself, even difficult to read without eye rolling--poor cellmate!) but instead suffered as so many other oppresse ...more
Robert Beveridge
Apr 27, 2012 Robert Beveridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every American
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience (CreateSpace, 1849)

I have put off releasing my best reads of 2011 list for all these months because I still haven't quite figured out how to review Civil Disobedience, which is #3 on it. You see, the problem is I've always kind of hated Thoreau, who is widely held responsible for the foundation of the modern ecological movment (I'm a diehard pave-the-earth guy and have been for decades). Because of that, I spent my reading time avoiding the guy, but when I
Mike
Feb 06, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
This essay, none the less, was great. However, I do not see how will the lives of a community work out peacefully when everyone has a range from slightly different to opposite virtues. Someone may say it's possible when people respect each other, but I say different. If we think piratical, people are full of hubris and selfishness. In schools, where respect is a statute, they had to force this concept in to the minds of the students because they knew every one of them did not learn to be respec ...more
SarahO
Mar 29, 2016 SarahO rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Difficult to read but great ideas.
Ricardo
Com a devida distância temporal, Thoreau criou as bases para o que hoje em dia, sob diversos aspectos, chamamos de desobediência civil. Não se espere que se encontre neste panfleto um exemplo seguido mais tarde por Gandhi ou Luther King. Thoreau escreveu o manifesto após ter sido preso por não pagamento de um imposto específico. Discorda da agressão dos EUA ao México (estamos em 1848) e, sobretudo, da escravatura vigente em alguns Estados da União.
Fortemente individualista, Thoreau defende uma
Sivoj
Plein de bon sens et de vérités – évidentes mais qu'il est bon de se rappeler à soi-même –, dans un style direct et aphoristique, ce texte a pour seul défaut d'être plus un coup de gueule ancré dans son contexte historique qu'un essai proprement articulé autour d'un sujet précis. Pour la plus grosse part, il reste tout de même bien croustillant ; voici quelques passages qui représentent la pensée de l'auteur :

Après tout, la raison pratique pour laquelle, le pouvoir une fois aux mains du peuple,
Matthew
While listening to this on audio book, I found myself filtering Thoreau's statements through my own modern political stovepipes...ready to dismiss Thoreau outright as a naive militia Libertarian and/or hype him up as some sort of Uber-Liberal.

This says more of the divisive nature of modern political discourse than to the real, sincere, legitimate points Thoreau laid out in this treatise, really more of a tract, on the role of Government and the individual.

At turns seeming to advocate Libertarian
Mariana
Dec 30, 2013 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dans cet ouvrage, l'auteur fait un plaidoyer passionné de la liberté individuelle, par opposition au pouvoir de l'État. Il établit des hypothèses fortes sur la façon dont l'État serait plus efficace, s'il avait moins de pouvoir sur ses citoyens. Thoreau inaugure la pensée courent "moins de règles, c'est mieux", avec sa sentence "Le gouvernement le meilleur est celui qui gouverne le moins". il développe aussi une forte critique du gouvernement des États-Unis d'Amérique de son temps, en critiquant ...more
Vichy
For future references:
Resistance to Civil Government (Civil Disobedience) is an essay by American transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau that was first published in 1849. In it, Thoreau argues that individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them the agents of injustice. Thoreau was motivated in part by his disgust with slavery and the Mexican–American War.
By: htt
Amy
Apr 03, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-books-read
My students and I were talking in class about how Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi were both influenced by Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" essay. The question arose in class as to whether there might be a person alive now that would have a dynamic personality and ability to speak out for racial discrimination beyond the black and white problem. 2 of my students are Hispanic and are constantly looked down upon as if they must be an illegal immigrant because of their accent and the color ...more
§--
Aug 02, 2015 §-- rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Some fairly specious reasoning in here. It is lovely that Thoreau has become a symbol of all that is right with the world, but I am reviewing the text, not him.

The first part of the text is argument, the middle is an account of his night in jail, and the final third is commentary related to his first argument.

The first argument, which he admits in the third part of the text, does not distinguish between material and formal cooperation in evil.

"It is for no particular item in the tax-bill that
Pinky
Feb 06, 2016 Pinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-16
Pay attention to what your government is doing. That government is best which governs least. Systematically and when carried out this leads to that government is best which governs not at all.

I am going back and re-reading Thoreau - it's perfect for an election year.
Burcin Ozgun
Apr 09, 2015 Burcin Ozgun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Demokrasinin yönetim alanında gelinebilecek son nokta olmadığını; bugün bildiğim ve algıladığım haliyle Devlet denen illetin bireyi asla ve asla özgür kılamayacağını, tüm vatandaşlarına adil olmayacağını, bireyini asla mutlak güç olarak kabul etmeyeceğini ve yapısını özgürlük üzerine inşa etmeyeceğini, otoriteye boyun eğmeyi kabul etsem dahi asla haklarıma saygı duymayacağını ve tüm bu soylediklerimi ve red çabalarımı yok sayacağını bir kez daha gördüm.

Bu yüzden Thoreau'ya yürekten katılıyorum.
"
Kimberly
Nov 19, 2015 Kimberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thoreau defines his audience in his very first sentence: "I heartily accept the motto, "that government is best which governs least". This a sentiment I heartily disagree with, and as Thoreau builds his argument I disagree with his every step and assumption.

I think the very idea that government should govern least is one of the problems with the United States, and one that is simply untrue. Government should not be onerous or burdensome, but it does have to govern in order to produce a solid fou
Monty
One of the classics of American Philosophy and political science. Thoreau with one essay places himself in the ranks of Tolstoy and the philosophers of the enlightenment. Government is a human fabrication and is given power by the majority, even when they are unethical and inhumane. His argument arises from his unwillingness to pay taxes to the U.S. government which is waging war against Mexico for the purpose of expanding slavery into the SW. He refuses to pay the tax and spends a night in jail ...more
Rachel Jacobs
Jul 06, 2015 Rachel Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoreau has an easy writing style which is both poetic and readily understood by the common man. He makes several good points which bare reflection. Though it seems Thoreau is not merely advocating resisting an unjust government but government all together.
Yet, he does not advocate anarchy. Thoreau instead, seems to be yearning for a humanity that treats all persons well and equally without the need of government. I agree with Thoreau; this type if existence would be the most free and expedient
Ijaz Ahmad
I suppose for the time it was written it would have been highly influential, however, of the essayists arguments I found the comments regarding accountability of both the citizens of the state and the state itself to be of great pertinence. One such quote which challenges the status quo of democratic legalistic thinking is as follows:

"Can there not be a government in which majorities do not virtually decide right and wrong, but conscience? — in which majorities decide only those questions to whi
Tom Mcguire
Apr 19, 2015 Tom Mcguire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Galen
Apr 10, 2015 Galen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Analysis of Henry David Thoreau’s Resistance to Civil Government

Perhaps it is ironic that one of the most acknowledged American writers tried to separate himself from the government as much as he could. Then again, this could represent the epitome of American society and our ideals. Henry David Thoreau was thrown in prison during his life due to tax delinquency, and heavily criticized American law in his writings. Despite all of this, he was still considered a true American.

During Henry David Th
  • Anarchism: A Collection of Revolutionary Writings
  • Democracy in America Volume 2
  • On the Decay of the Art of Lying
  • Why Write?
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • On Disobedience and Other Essays
  • The History of Herodotus, V1
  • The City of the Sun
  • The First Forty-Nine Stories
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,
More about Henry David Thoreau...

“Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary.” 183 likes
“Any man more right than his neighbors constitutes a majority of one already.” 30 likes