Start by marking “The Divine Milieu” as Want to Read:
The Divine Milieu

The Divine Milieu

The essential companion to Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's The Phenomenom of Man, The Divine Milieu expands on the spiritual message so basic to his thought. He shows how man's spiritual life can become a participation in the destiny of the universe.

Teilhard de Chardin -- geologist, priest, and major voice in twentieth-century Christianity -- probes the ultimate meaning of al
Published November 6th 2001 by Harper Perennial Modern Classics (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Milieu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Milieu

Confessions by Augustine of HippoOrthodoxy by G.K. ChestertonBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughHoly Bible by AnonymousKristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
Dante to Dead Man Walking
36th out of 47 books — 4 voters
The Irony of American History by Reinhold NiebuhrLet Your Life Speak by Parker J. PalmerThe Dream of the Earth by Thomas BerryCelebration of Discipline by Richard J. FosterCrossing the Threshold of Hope by Pope John Paul II
Newman Club Reading Group
7th out of 7 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Yaholo
May 31, 2014 Yaholo rated it it was amazing
This book is truly close to my heart. It bridges the gap between the best wisdom of mysticism regarding the personal spirit to apply these concepts to our collective spirit. So often mysticism in an introverted discipline, focusing on the interior life. The Divine Milieu is a beautiful vision of what Christian Mysticism could look like on the level of a church, a community, and a civilization.

I wish more pastors and church leaders read this book!
Sue
Dec 28, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book (and this man!). Loved it so much I'm now writing my dissertation on it and the author. So, it has indeed greatly influenced the way I think and talk about my Christian faith, and how I teach it also. Not an easy read - it's NOT spiritual "fluff" - but I highly recommend!
Deborah
Aug 29, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it
Teilhard presents complicated science and metaphysics, and it's fascinating. So fascinating that I can't believe that he's not a household name! His theories are reminscent of ideas presented by Paul Davies and Rupert Sheldrake. I suppose that someday science will catch up with religion!
Patti
Mar 17, 2013 Patti rated it liked it
Need to read this again...
Keith PJ Duggan
Mar 21, 2011 Keith PJ Duggan rated it really liked it
One of the most important books in my life
Bob Couchenour
Jan 03, 2015 Bob Couchenour rated it it was ok
I was first introduced to the writings of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin while I was living on the streets of Austin Texas, homeless, by another homeless individual by the name of Charlie. Charlie was an intellectual and obviously had some of the same interest as me, primarily the world, (the nature of reality), Society & culture, and surviving in the midst of what was seemingly an alien and hostile environment. We would see Charlie at least once a month at a local Presbyterian Church which ...more
Lesley Arrowsmith
Apr 02, 2013 Lesley Arrowsmith rated it liked it
I have to admit that I picked this book up as a result of reading Julian May's Galactic Milieu novels! She mentions Teilhard de Chardin, and I was intrigued. It's a fascinating read - and you can see why the Roman Catholic church were a little bit wary of his ideas! Put together with the Julian May stories, though, it all makes a lot of sense, and I went on to read The Phenomenon of Man and other books by him. Hard going, but very much worth while.
Oh, and he was an archaeologist working in China
Paul
Aug 10, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, theology
Very interesting author and ideas. A good translation with a biographical introduction. I thought the author's ideas on the meaning of death were profound, thought provoking and inspiring. Inspiring also were the italicized prayers at the end of some of the sections. Some of his other ideas in the book were not so interesting, but still worth considering. Lots of Latin phrases sprinkled throughout which were lost on me. I enjoyed reading the book; it was well worth the time spent.
McMaeve
Dec 30, 2015 McMaeve rated it really liked it
Although PT de Chardin would disagree with my analysis, I think this is a marriage between paganism and Christianity, in my very lay understanding of this text. Rich with devotion to the divine, in all its presentations. I could certainly read this again, especially if I had a reading buddy who could help me decipher the Christian references that are a bit lost on me...
Katie Herring
May 07, 2014 Katie Herring rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
My teacher recommended this to me in order to complete an essay for his class.

I really liked it, although I will admit it was not an easy read. I got the basics, but some lines I had to read a few times.

It was an interesting read and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

My religious readings are increasing, and I'm sure God approves :*)
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Paul Broenen
Paul Broenen rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Anton
Anton rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2008
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2009
Marne
Marne rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2007
Johnson
Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Pierre
Pierre rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Andreas
Andreas rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2012
Mark Spano
Mark Spano rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
Nadine Younger
Nadine Younger rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Pamela Gianni
Pamela Gianni rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
Kim Fleming
Kim Fleming rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Cynic
Cynic rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2012
Francis Rothery
Francis Rothery rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Mary Jo Sullivan
Mary Jo Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Christopher Carnahan
Christopher Carnahan rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Natalie Baer
Apr 24, 2011 Natalie Baer rated it liked it
Recommended to Natalie by: My Pastor
Shelves: religious
I have copied out several quotes from his book
  • Invitation to Love: The Way of Christian Contemplation
  • Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
  • Honest to God
  • Original Blessing
  • Saint Augustine (Lives Biographies)
  • Waiting for God
  • Religion and Science
  • Systematic Theology, Vol 2: Existence and the Christ
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • The Jesuit and the Skull: Teilhard de Chardin, Evolution, and the Search for Peking Man
  • Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality
  • Clowning in Rome: Reflections on Solitude, Celibacy, Prayer, and Contemplation
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • Models of God
  • Adam's Return: The Five Promises of Male Initiation
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions
  • Philosophy and Theology
  • Thoughts in Solitude
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was a visionary French Jesuit, paleontologist, biologist, and philosopher, who spent the bulk of his life trying to integrate religious experience with natural science, most specifically Christian theology with theories of evolution. In this endeavor he became absolutely enthralled with the possibilities for humankind, which he saw as heading for an exciting convergence ...more
More about Pierre Teilhard de Chardin...

“Since once again, Lord - though this time not in the forests of the Aisne but in the steppes of Asia - I have neither bread, nor wine, nor altar, I will raise myself beyond these symbols, up to the pure majesty of the Real itself; I, your priest, will make the whole earth my altar and on it will offer you all the labours and sufferings of the world.

Over there, on the horizon, the sun has just touched with light the outermost fringe of the eastern sky. Once again, beneath this moving sheet of fire, the living surface of the earth wakes and trembles, and once again begins its fearful travail. I will place on my paten, O God, the harvest to be won by this renewal of labour. Into my chalice I shall pour all the sap which is to be pressed out this day from the earth’s fruits.

My paten and my chalice are the depths of a soul laid widely open to all the forces which in a moment will rise up from every corner of the earth and converge upon the Spirit. Grant me the remembrance and the mystic presence of all those whom the light is now awakening to the new day . . .

Over every living thing which is to spring up, to grow, to flower, to ripen during this day say again the words: ‘This is my Body’. And over every death-force which waits in readiness to corrode, to wither, to cut down, speak again your commanding words which express the supreme mystery of faith: ‘This is my Blood’.”
5 likes