Start by marking “Good Night, Maman” as Want to Read:
Good Night, Maman

Good Night, Maman

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Young readers who have loved and mourned Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl may take solace in the more hopeful ending of Good Night, Maman, Norma Fox Mazer's tender story of a brother and sister's escape from the Holocaust. Like all Jews in France during World War II, Karin and her older brother Marc are on the run from the Nazis. At first the siblings and their strong an ...more
Published April 12th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night, Maman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Night, Maman

This book reminds me of Elie Wiesel’s Night because it’s about the Holocaust except this time, they are leaving for America instead of trying to leave the concentration camps. It is a very touching book because although Karin and Marc (who are brother and sister) are able to escape the events of World War II, they have to leave Maman (their mother) behind due to an illness. Later on, when the children are finally in America, they know that they are safe. From that point on, the events that are ...more
Margo Tanenbaum
This moving novel by award-winning children's novelist Norma Fox Mazer (who sadly passed away in 2009) tells the story of Karin Levi, a 12-year old girl whose comfortable life is overturned when the Nazis occupy Paris in 1940. Karin, together with her mother and older brother, flee Nazi-occupied Paris and start a new life of constant fear, as they are first hidden in the countryside, and later escape into American-occupied Southern Italy (without their mother, who by this point in the narrative ...more
This is a unique story in the YA Holocaust literature cannon. So many books focus on the victims, the survivors, the witnesses, and the resistors. This one book is a fictional account based on the real experiences of people who escaped to the U.S.

The history: In June 1944, FDR realized that the US had not been very good to those trying to escape Hitler, and he sent a large boat to Naples to pick them up. On the boat, about 1,000 came to America and spent the rest of the war in the old army base
This book takes place in the 1940 in Germany and America. It revolves around twelve-year-old Karin, and her older brother Marc, and their mother (Maman). They had to leave their mother behind because she was ill. They were fleeing from Germany taking over Paris to America. It is the time of World War II, not only are they trying to flee, but so are many others. Karin and her brother ends up in a refugees during World War II in a camp in Oswego, New York. It was a really touching story. What make ...more
During the World War II 982 refugees, people who were targeted by Hitler for imprisonment, came to the United States. They were brought by the U. S. government and housed at Fort Ontario, near Oswego, New York. Two of the refugees, siblings, Karin and Marc, are French Jews, from Paris. In the summer of 1944 they boarded a ship in a convoy headed to the States. The two are adjusting to life in the fort, where first they are in quarantine. Later they will attend school in the nearby town.

The Moth
070414 This book is more of a middle school book, but since I am very interested in WWII I thought I would read this book. Middle school teachers who are trying to teach their students about survival during WWII, should have their students read this book.
Jun 29, 2009 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any kid interested in history
Recommended to Julie by: borrowed it from Mom
This book is a very good way to explain to kids the experience of Jewish refugees during World War II. It also tells the story of the 982 refugees brought to America aboard the Henry Gibbins, the ONLY refugees brought to the US during the war. Having gone to college in Oswego (and in the history program, no less) I'd studied about this a lot, heard Ruth Gruber speak, and even got to do some research in the college's archives about the experience.

I'd recommend this for any school library, or for
A good children's historical fiction account of WWII, of a Jewish family with all family members affected. The story includes memories of losing family members, a long stint in a hiding place attic, as well as marching around Europe trying to stay alive, then onto a US ship and as refugees in a camp in NY state.

This book covered a lot of the war's history, but somehow, oddly, the last third of the book sounded familiar - like I'd read it in another similar book. Even to the last revelation - I
Megan Anderson
Sad, but cute at the same time. I never realized there was actually a refugee camp in the USA during WWII (though, I knew there were what were essentally concentration camps for the Japanese during the same time period). Just another worthwhile fact eschewed by the school history textbook writers for stupid asides. *sigh*

Anyway, definitely a good book. Not quite good enough to purchase, but nice in conjunction with a lot of the other novels I've been reading lately.

4/5 on here, 8/10 for myself
This is a heart wrenching story that I found very difficult to put down. The fact that it is based on real event makes it even sadder, but it is too good of a book to not recommend. It is written from the perspective of a young girl, but the audience of this book does not necessarily have to be young. I would suggest this book at a 4th grade level or higher. I believe both children and adults could gain a lot from this story, not only for its historical significance, but the powerful writing as ...more
The concept of this book was brilliant - utilizing a little-known WWII event of Jewish refugees coming to America. However, I'm not convinced this was effective as a young adult novel (it may be a middle-grade novel) because it didn't have a lot of depth to the characters. I was hoping for something closer to "To Kill a Mockingbird," which effectively creates both character and history. It's a nice introduction to the event, but I was left wanting more.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a really good book I really enjoyed reading it. I thought Kairn was such a great main character. It was a different story about WWII I have not heard before. Once I got started I could not put the book down. Even though the characters were fictional the story about a fort that took in some Euorpeans back to the United States is true. I can not wait to do some research on this fort.
When the Nazis take over France, Marc and Karin spend a year in hiding with their mother. As the danger of discovery intensifies, they escape, traveling on foot and at night until their mother's strength is at an end. Karin and Marc manage to get on a ship headed for America, but they have to leave their mother behind.

A Holocaust story suitable for younger readers.

Karen Levi and her family live in Paris, when the occupation of the German's begins in 1940 and Jewish families like hers are taken away,hide or leave. This historical fiction novel talks about the hiding, leaving of Karin and his brother Marc, as they leave behind their sick mother to the freedom of the US and how they adapt to American ways. Very Good
this book is a very good book if you want adventure, family love, and stuff about the holocaust. there's not much to do with the holocaust but it does get mentioned a few times, it is a very good book but the ending is a little bit tragic but that doesn't mean it's not a very, very, very, very, very, very, very good book to read.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this because it's about a Jewish girl and her family who end up as refugees during World War II in a camp in Oswego, New York, near where I live. The author (whom I met shortly after this book was written) did an excellent job of getting period details correct, so that you felt like you were back in the 1940s.
the beggining of the book was very interesting and fun to read. I learned alot about how the war went and what they went through as being jewish. The ending was kind of not as good because it just talked about their personal life instead of what really happend when jews arrived to America and what they did.
The only thing this book lacked was a chapter on when Karin received her new shoes - I so wanted to read about this, but Mazer didn't write about it. Even though this novel is fiction, it made me cry knowing that real people lived experiences like this and worse during WWII.
This was a well done children's book telling the fictional experience of a refugee girl who fled Paris and was able to come on a ship to the U.S. It was a quick read and one I would recommend to my kids if they are interested in history when they are older.
I found this on a list of historical fiction and thought it sounded interesting. I didn't know there was a refugee camp in the US during WWII. It is a little light-weight, feeling more like middle-grade than YA to me.
Barbara Lovejoy
What a heartbreaking and heartwarming book. This is #23 book I have read from the Reading Promise Booklist, and I continue not to be disappointed. Every book from this list has enriched me.
This book was amazing I learned more about the Holocost that I didnt know about. I really like how this book made me feel that I was there with them.I woul recomend this book to Everyone
One of my very first introductions to the Holocaust and the history behind those horrible years. Such a great book, definitely worth it!
I thought it was really touching to read Karin's letters to her maman. There were parts where it was really sad and I got teary eyed.
Jordan Drilling
I really liked this book. It was very good,I would reccomend this book to anyone! The book was during the holocost.
As a young Jewish girl makes her way across deserted lands. She realizes the danger of her Jewish heritage
When you have hard times or are separated from loved ones there is always hope in America

I thought it was a little too short. It could of been better had it been a bit longer.
I really enjoyed this little book. Sometimes simplicity teaches me more.
  • Stones in Water (Stones in Water, #1)
  • The Other Half of Life: A Novel Based on the True Story of the MS St. Louis
  • In My Enemy's House
  • Torn Thread
  • Anna Is Still Here
  • Malka
  • The Unicorns Go Hawaiian (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition #4)
  • Man from the Other Side
  • Marika
  • The Harmonica
  • Jag heter inte Miriam
  • Daniel Half Human: And the Good Nazi
  • A Faraway Island
  • Salem on Trial (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #8)
  • Jacob's Rescue: A Holocaust Story
  • Angel Girl
  • If I Should Die Before I Wake
  • Escaping into the Night
Norma Fox Mazer was an American author and teacher, best known for her books for children and young adults.

She was born in New York City but grew up in Glens Falls, New York, with parents Michael and Jean Garlan Fox. Mazer graduated from Glens Falls High School, then went to Antioch College, where she met Harry Mazer, whom she married in 1950; they have four children, one of whom, Anne Mazer, is a
More about Norma Fox Mazer...