Start by marking “The Betrayal of Work: How Low-wage Jobs Fail 30 Million Americans And Their Families” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Following its publication in hardcover, the critically acclaimed Betrayal of Work became one of the most influential policy books about economic life in America; it was discussed in the pages of Newsweek, Business Week, Fortune, the Washington Post, Newsday, and USA Today, as well as in public policy journals and in broadcast interviews, including a one-on-one with Bill Mo ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by The New Press

To ask other readers questions about The Betrayal of Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Betrayal of Work

Caitlin
Jun 24, 2009 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who interacts with anyone in the service industry (all of us!)
Shelves: booksforschool, 2009
This book changed the way I think about poverty and low wage workers in the United States. Shulman headed a major union for several years, and I find that her background makes her a bit blind to the faults of modern unions. She touts them at the answer to all of America's labor problems, but does not address some of the major challenges unions are facing in this country.

With that disclaimer - this book is a must read. It reads like a novel, and the author really knows how to connect readers to
Terry Earley
Mar 23, 2010 Terry Earley rated it liked it
This is disturbing, but important. As we have a national debate over health care and what our responsibility in relation to our fellow citizens really is, we must answer the moral question about a large and growing segment of our population who work long, hard hours for wages that cannot sustain a family.

Do we continue to allow this problem to get worse, or do something about it. Healthcare for all is a start. A living wage will bring us all into a better life.

Those who still argue against raisi
Maggie
Jan 31, 2014 Maggie rated it really liked it
A little out of date, but very relevant in light of the most recent State of the Union speech. Very eye opening about how unfair wages are in the US and how many people and which demographic they hit the hardest.
Holly
Feb 08, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking, and she makes some good arguments, though I thought some of her solutions were either vague or unrealistic. But it is truly a shame in this country that people can work 60 hours a week and still can't afford a decent standard of living (by this I mean a warm home with such modern extravagances like refrigerators and microwaves and televisions, enough healthy food to eat, and medical care). This book makes the case that it's often the people working the hardest and the wor ...more
Bella
Mar 27, 2008 Bella rated it liked it
Shelves: finance-econ
ugh. the section on the poor chicken factory workers who suffer repetitive injuries and all kinds of inhumane indignities (i.e., no bathroom breaks) made me never want to eat chicken again. Maybe I'll slow down the chicken eating, unfortunately I can't stop it altogether, dammit.
Denali
Mar 01, 2012 Denali rated it liked it
A well reasoned clearly explained snapshot of the working poor in America. Should be required reading for all those aspiring to public office. Shulman's statement of the problem is excellent, but her policy recs are not as well explored as they could be.
Kristin
Dec 18, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
A very interesting book, full of useful information and statistics that were contextualized by personal stories. Occasionally got bogged down in details and footnotes, but that's probably useful when supporting numbers-heavy arguments like these.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: current-affairs
Minor issues is that the book is fairly short, less than 180 pages, yet the first half felt like it there was frequent repetition. Which then left little room for the proposed solutions. Still, I think it's worth a read.
Tree
Jun 25, 2012 Tree rated it really liked it
An eye-opener regarding how many very hard-working Americans have no autonomy, no benefits, often have to work two jobs, unsafe conditions, and are treated disrespectfully.
Rebecca
Jan 02, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Very much a companion to Nickel and Dimed - definitely worth reading. Excellent discussion of re-framing low-income work as low-skilled work.
Mary
Dec 14, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
a lot of statistics that could've been summarized better. not written very well - awkward sentences detracted from interesting points.
Katherine
Apr 05, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
Candidates for election to public office this year should be required to read this book.
Andrew
May 12, 2008 Andrew added it
Insight in to why the american job market isnt working...
Aug 20, 2007 Laura marked it as to-read
mentioned on 'NOW' & author interviewed
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jessica Philo
Jessica Philo rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Guts
Guts marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Mitch
Mitch added it
Apr 12, 2016
Regina Yoma
Regina Yoma marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Merk
Merk marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Patrick B
Patrick B marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Tammy
Tammy added it
Jan 23, 2016
Liza Shats
Liza Shats marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
David Jordan
David Jordan rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015