Start by marking “Dark Places” as Want to Read:
Dark Places

Dark Places

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In a place so harsh that survivalis a struggle, one man has found the strength to kill ...

Paul Wood is a modern vagabond, a man who chooses to leave the comforts of San Francisco to spend months backpacking through some of the world's most challenging terrain: Cameroon, Indonesia, Nepal. While hiking in the Himalayas, Paul gets more of a rush than he bargained for when he
Published May 25th 2004 by ReganBooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Places

Heidi
I loved reading this book. It's fast paced from beginning till end, with a bit of surprising turns and twists in the middle. It was very hard to put down and I just wanted to keep going and going. Love the writing style and storyline!
Will Byrnes
While trekking the Annapurna Circuit narrator Balthazar Wood and his companion come across a dead Canadian, propped up, with two Swiss Army knives stuck deeply into his eyes. The local constabulary is not interested in creating any fuss, but Wood proceeds to investigate. He has some motivation as the death is remarkably similar to a killing two years prior, in which his girlfriend was murdered in Cameroon, and marked in the same way. Also, on the mountain, he is pursued by a person he believes t ...more
Kat
Not a huge mystery fan, but this one, part mystery, part travelog, was creepy enough to hook me.
Natazzz
It's well-written, but the plotline just couldn't hold my interest.
Eero
The author obviously has chosen to write what he knows. The IT stuff is all very real and accurate, although now obviously dated with references to search engines and services that don't exist any more (remember Yahoo Briefcase?). At one point Paul pays for one year of 500 megs at something called xdrive.com and comments on how pricey it is; that was the situation in 2000, when the term "cloud storage" was still unknown and there was no Dropbox or Google Drive. There is a passing mention of the ...more
Cidney
Exotic Locals, Banana Pancakes & Murder on the Cheap

The Lonely Planet traveler knows how to see some of the world’s most beautiful and exotic locations on the cheap. A passport, a backpack, a pair of good boots and a map of the local youth hostels and you’re on your way. Typical problems on the road revolve around disease, transportation, food and water. Who would think to add serial killer to this list? This is the idea presented in this creepy little story.

International backpackers are typ
Philip
My good friends loaned me this book to accompany their personal tale of meeting the author while they were trekking in Ecuador. It was a fun, quick read and I found it intriguing in that Evans seemed to have invented a new sub-genre for Mystery/Suspense, which is Tech-Geek as World Traveler/Unsuspecting Super Sleuth.

Certain aspects of the writing style seemed as if Evans was trying too hard. He tends towards these exclamatory-virtually-underlined-twists-of-phrase that are typically based in pop-
Michael Picco
Interesting story that needs a bit more editing.

Trekking around third world countries certainly seems exciting, but when someone starts killing people for what appears to be sport, the thrill of the backcountry drastically changes. The author could have spent a bit more time on character development, as the reader learns little about them beyond a few quirks. I came across numerous typos that should have been caught during the editing process.
Megmar
Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. The story was fast-paced and realistic, and full of some beautiful descriptions. I loved Paul's narrative voice - typically stories written in first person are, for me, hit or miss, but I felt Paul was spot on. It was essentially a murder mystery wrapped up in a love letter to traveling, and I found it thoroughly entertaining.
Rajuda
Two things that stopped me rating this book higher were its weird plot, and writing style. What made me give 3 stars is the occasional brilliance that nudged me to read on. Yet, I would say - try it out; you might like.
Mohd
A good read, nothing sophisticated but very intriguing
Susan Yasuhara
I liked how this book started out in Nepal, then onto SF and other places I've visited. Kind of an internet detective story. It became more curious as the book came to an end but I was disappointed in the ending...I guess I would have given it a more exciting ending. Wonder if such a group exists where you can get away with murder on the international circuit...makes you think a bit.
Hilary
This was a random book I picked up in the free bin outside a bookstore, so I didn't expect much, but it surprised me. The writing flowed easily, the characters felt real and the travel details authentic, and even close to the end I couldn't be certain I knew how it would finish. And I couldn't leave it at home to finish later as I'd intended. What more can you ask?
Huw Thomas
The story hooked me with the first line and kept me gripped the whole way - and I loved the last line of the book.
As someone who's walked the Annapurna circuit and backpacked in other parts of the world I found it very easy to engage with the characters and the places described.
Well-written, nicely paced and with an original plot - what more could you want?
James
Jul 19, 2010 James rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Not good unless you like hearing about other peoples gap years. Actually make that very smug peoples gap years.
Britt
Just not my kind of book.
Pam
Mar 01, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
02/29/08 rec via bookmooch
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jul 27, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Shawn Kass
Shawn Kass is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Kelly Mcleod
Kelly Mcleod marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Stuart Tares
Stuart Tares marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ian Robinson
Ian Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
  • The Sholes Key: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery (Book #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Betrayed
  • Cutting Edge
  • The Apostle Murders
  • First and Only: A Psychological Thriller
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • The Moose Jaw
  • Lillian's Story, One Womans Journey through the 20th Century.
  • Atlanta Nights
  • With A Twist (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8.5)
  • The Amun Chamber
  • The Girl in the Trees
  • Blood Forest
  • Hope Road
  • The Devil's Deep
  • A Dream of Armageddon
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups Invisible Armies The Night Of Knives The Executor The Blood Price