Dark Places

Dark Places

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In a place so harsh that survivalis a struggle, one man has found the strength to kill ...

Paul Wood is a modern vagabond, a man who chooses to leave the comforts of San Francisco to spend months backpacking through some of the world's most challenging terrain: Cameroon, Indonesia, Nepal. While hiking in the Himalayas, Paul gets more of a rush than he bargained for when he...more
Published May 25th 2004 by ReganBooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Places

Heidi
I loved reading this book. It's fast paced from beginning till end, with a bit of surprising turns and twists in the middle. It was very hard to put down and I just wanted to keep going and going. Love the writing style and storyline!
Will Byrnes
While trekking the Annapurna Circuit narrator Balthazar Wood and his companion come across a dead Canadian, propped up, with two Swiss Army knives stuck deeply into his eyes. The local constabulary is not interested in creating any fuss, but Wood proceeds to investigate. He has some motivation as the death is remarkably similar to a killing two years prior, in which his girlfriend was murdered in Cameroon, and marked in the same way. Also, on the mountain, he is pursued by a person he believes t...more
Kat
Not a huge mystery fan, but this one, part mystery, part travelog, was creepy enough to hook me.
Natazzz
It's well-written, but the plotline just couldn't hold my interest.
Cidney
Exotic Locals, Banana Pancakes & Murder on the Cheap

The Lonely Planet traveler knows how to see some of the world’s most beautiful and exotic locations on the cheap. A passport, a backpack, a pair of good boots and a map of the local youth hostels and you’re on your way. Typical problems on the road revolve around disease, transportation, food and water. Who would think to add serial killer to this list? This is the idea presented in this creepy little story.

International backpackers are typ...more
Philip
My good friends loaned me this book to accompany their personal tale of meeting the author while they were trekking in Ecuador. It was a fun, quick read and I found it intriguing in that Evans seemed to have invented a new sub-genre for Mystery/Suspense, which is Tech-Geek as World Traveler/Unsuspecting Super Sleuth.

Certain aspects of the writing style seemed as if Evans was trying too hard. He tends towards these exclamatory-virtually-underlined-twists-of-phrase that are typically based in pop-...more
Michael Picco
Interesting story that needs a bit more editing.

Trekking around third world countries certainly seems exciting, but when someone starts killing people for what appears to be sport, the thrill of the backcountry drastically changes. The author could have spent a bit more time on character development, as the reader learns little about them beyond a few quirks. I came across numerous typos that should have been caught during the editing process.
Megmar
Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. The story was fast-paced and realistic, and full of some beautiful descriptions. I loved Paul's narrative voice - typically stories written in first person are, for me, hit or miss, but I felt Paul was spot on. It was essentially a murder mystery wrapped up in a love letter to traveling, and I found it thoroughly entertaining.
Mohd
A good read, nothing sophisticated but very intriguing
Susan Yasuhara
I liked how this book started out in Nepal, then onto SF and other places I've visited. Kind of an internet detective story. It became more curious as the book came to an end but I was disappointed in the ending...I guess I would have given it a more exciting ending. Wonder if such a group exists where you can get away with murder on the international circuit...makes you think a bit.
Hilary
This was a random book I picked up in the free bin outside a bookstore, so I didn't expect much, but it surprised me. The writing flowed easily, the characters felt real and the travel details authentic, and even close to the end I couldn't be certain I knew how it would finish. And I couldn't leave it at home to finish later as I'd intended. What more can you ask?
Huw Thomas
The story hooked me with the first line and kept me gripped the whole way - and I loved the last line of the book.
As someone who's walked the Annapurna circuit and backpacked in other parts of the world I found it very easy to engage with the characters and the places described.
Well-written, nicely paced and with an original plot - what more could you want?
James
Jul 19, 2010 James rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Not good unless you like hearing about other peoples gap years. Actually make that very smug peoples gap years.
Britt
Jun 02, 2013 Britt added it
Shelves: 2012, not-finished
Just not my kind of book.
Pam
Mar 01, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
02/29/08 rec via bookmooch
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Claudio Boezio
Claudio Boezio marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Scott Coleman
Scott Coleman marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Nonochka
Nonochka marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Josh Hodge
Josh Hodge marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lori Carlson
Lori Carlson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • The Sholes Key: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery (Book #1)
  • First and Only: A Psychological Thriller
  • With A Twist (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8.5)
  • Hope Road
  • The Loyal Servant: A Very British Political Thriller (The Women Sleuths, #1)
  • Fatal Exchange
  • The Dead Room
  • The Getaway (Sam Archer, #2)
  • Walk in Darkness (Jon Stanton, #2)
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray, #2)
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • Double Bind
  • Officer Jones
  • The Black Mile
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5)
  • The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6)
Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups Invisible Armies The Night Of Knives The Executor The Blood Price