Start by marking “In a Dark Place (Ed & Lorraine Warren #4)” as Want to Read:
In a Dark Place (Ed & Lorraine Warren #4)

In a Dark Place (Ed & Lorraine Warren #4)

The most terrifying true case of demonic possession ever recorded. Shortly after moving into their new home, the Snedeker family is assaulted by a sinister presence. Exhausting all other resources, they call up demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren--who have never encountered a case as frightening as this. . . .
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Dell (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about In a Dark Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Dark Place

Dark World by Zak BagansThe Amityville Horror by Jay AnsonGrave's End by Elaine MercadoThe Myrtles Plantation by Frances KermeenGhosts of the North Carolina Shores by Micheal Rivers
Best Nonfiction Ghost Books
14th out of 102 books — 116 voters
Zorachus by Mark E. RogersThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanDeathbird Stories by Harlan EllisonThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
Hardcore
7th out of 17 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Apr 05, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm giving this book five stars because the author, Ray Garton, is a skillful horror writer, and he does a good job telling a very scary story. The book is atmospheric, to say the least: an innocent family moves into a new house that was once a funeral home. Predictably, things don't go well.

And that's my problem with stories like these, of which I've read hundreds: no one ever seems to suspect that something supernatural is occurring until far too late. Seriously: I'd hear a menacing, disembod
Melissa Bond
Jan 16, 2011 Melissa Bond rated it liked it
After it was revealed from the author that the story was false and the entire events documented a hoax, this novel ended up being a rare find for anyone interested in reading it. I finally was able to get my hands on it through a library loan, and while the story itself is frightening, it is just another documentation revealing one of the many versions of the events the family claims have happened to them.

Each time the story is told, mainly by the mother, it changes. Not a single movie, document
Samantha
Mar 01, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Sandra Jönsson
"Sitter framför datorn med hjärtklappning och snabb andhämtning. Lyssnar efter ljud som jag vet att jag inte kommer höra. Allt är Ed och Lorraine Warrens fel. Nej, jag har inte sett The Conjuring 2 ännu. Däremot har jag fått hem ett bokpaket innehållande böcker av just Ed Warren och Lorraine Warren. Tidigare idag kastade jag mig över In a Dark Place, en bok som handlar om hemsökelserna i Connecticut, samma hemsökelser som har inspirerat till filmen The Haunting in Connecticut. Dessa hemsökelser ...more
I am a HUGE fan of the SyFy show "The Haunted Collector", so I had to read this novel written by his aunt and uncle, about a true haunting in a Connecticut funeral parlor turned into a Colonial home. Creepy.... I cannot say that enough.... I could not stop reading this book which details the experiences of the Snedeker family, who moves into a downstairs apartment (and basement) of an old funeral home. Upon entering the house, teenage son Stephen says that the house is evil, but nobody listens t ...more
Nancy
Dec 28, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for entertainment
Recommended to Nancy by: nobody
I have read this book several years ago at the library. I liked it so much that I purchased it - that was when it was cheap. Then they featured it on the DSC & A&E channels. Amazon.com has the hardback starting at $70 & paperback starting at $83.83. It makes for good FICTIONAL reading. I recommended it to my friend & it didn't scare her at all. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

Go to this link & read what the author, Ray Garton, has to say about the book he wrote:
Sabrina Rutter
I didn't give this a five star rating for the accuracy, but for the way it held my attention. This is the sort of ghost story that I love reading. There are not many ghost stories like this one!
The accuracy was off on a few things while other things I know about this story were simply missing. I do know that the people involved in this haunting were not at all happy about the way this book was written. They feel it sensationalized their story, and made them look like liars the way the author twi
Lisa  Gregory
Jan 21, 2016 Lisa Gregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves true horror and the paranormal
This is my favorite scary book, and is easily the scariest book I have ever read. I knew Ed before his passing, and I have had personal interactions with his wife, Lorraine, and his nephew, John. Some of the things in this book may be hard to believe, but I have witnessed things that required the help of the Warrens, so I know these events are very real and more terrifying than anyone can imagine. This book doesn't have a lot of fluff, and pretty much sticks to the details.....it is engrossing a ...more
Megan
May 17, 2015 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the book reads like an overdramatic horror story. I don't mean to disrespect the victims of this horrible story--if it is indeed true--I just wish the writing were more haunting. The ending is very abrupt, and they never followed up with poor Stephen. Did they just leave him in the institution?? It was like "OK exorcism done bye." just like this review.
MrsPyramidhead
I was interested in reading this after seeing A Haunting in Connecticut (from the TV series A Haunting). So my first complaint is that these two contradict each other, so what's true?? However, I thought this book was decent. The beginning better than the last maybe fourth or third of the book. It was different then other haunting books I've read. The focus in the beginning was more about the relationships in the family and the strange events were just a part of the family issues. It was differe ...more
Mellony
I'm starting this book today. I know Ray and he told me that he was to make it as scary as possible. So yeah, it's not true but I heard its really scary! I'll let you know how it turns out!
Greg Mirles
By the time the initial setup for the story is finished, you'll hate both the mother and father for consistently and insistently carrying "the idiot ball." the only interesting character is Stephen who is demonized (pun intended) for listening to heavy metal music and wearing leather jackets.

You're damn right I'd act out if my parents moved me into a mortuary with the equipment still in a closet next to my room while I was battling cancer.

The scares eventually disgress into a scooby-doo caper
Joshua Lopez
Dec 03, 2014 Joshua Lopez rated it it was ok
Based off of the story of the Snedeker haunting case. Tales of the supernatural are over the top to many people and especially to the kinds of people that have no propensity to believe in that sort of thing. The narrative doesn't flow consistently because the author was confused by all testimonies from each family member during interview. Claiming that the mother was the ring-leader in all of the madness. To top everything off, The author had never been inside of the house (which could account f ...more
Feb 10, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a good, strong ticker.
Recommended to Jennifer by: Mike Martinez
Shelves: fiction
Lauren
Aug 17, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
I initially liked the writing and would have rated it a 4 were it a work of fiction, but since it was trumpeted as a true story and since it was clearly such a monstrous piece of bullshit nonsense, I gave the book a 2. Ed & Lorraine Warren didn't deserve a higher rating and I figured that any author who would get lumped in with them and with this ridiculous and exploitative story didn't, either.
However, I just listened to Ray Garton being interviewed on "Monster Talk" where I learned that he
Nancy Ellis
Oct 17, 2015 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I consider a scary story! The Warrens were famous demonologists, probably most famous for their work on the Amityville case. This book was the basis for the movie "A Haunting in Connecticut", the story of the Snedeker family and the horrific events that happened to them after they moved into a former funeral parlor where the dead had been used for more than just funerals. Very well written and nice and spooky for Halloween! Now I have to see the movie....
Tasha Luke
Good story but hardly an "edge of your seat page turner". Maybe it's bc I've seen the documentary, paranormal witness, and movie about this case but u thought the book was weak compared to other versions of this story. The writing style was also disappointing with not many examples of supernatural experiences and hardly any details. Overall the book is another supplemental piece of this story but it could have been written better with more detailed, more frightening examples including more detai ...more
a-maze
Jan 11, 2015 a-maze rated it really liked it
It was scary at some parts. I think I was more scared at Discovery Channels "Haunted" recreation of this story.
Some parts of the story are a bit jumpy, describing the sights of the people affected, mostly how the entity presented visually to them, and how it affected their lives. It was really exasperating how parents sometimes dont believe their children at times, and how these dark spirits makes people do dark and aggravating things.
Edwina Hall Callan
If you read this book with the idea in your mind that it is a "True Story", then your mind will be busy picking this book apart the entire time you are reading it.
The author revealed, years ago, that this book was nothing but a big hoax, which most people would have figured out all on their own anyway.
So, if you do decide to read this book, do so with the mind set that you are reading a "Horror" book and you won't look too deeply at it and will probably enjoy the read.
Also, read the book then wa
Daniel DeLappe
May 30, 2015 Daniel DeLappe rated it really liked it
I will start out by saying Mr Garton is one of my favorite authors. I will add I had the misfortune of meeting Ed and his wife. The term scumbag comes to mind. All said and done it was a well written book and a great story. Just take it with a pound of salt instead of a grain when reading.
Jaime Contreras
May 16, 2016 Jaime Contreras marked it as to-read
The hardest challenge was separating what I knew about the Snedeker Case from the movie, The Conjuring and several docudramas and documentaries. The book is written Carmen reed & Al Snedeker with Ray Garton. It is well-constructed but does move slowly during the first 100 pages. The last 60% are stellar because we get answers and resolution. The Warrens (Ed & Lorraine) do not appear on the scene until the last 30% of the novelized story. they are alluded to but their presence is almost n ...more
Kim Sanford
Okay Read

I found this book interesting only because I am intrigued with the Warrens and their work. However, I thought that it was not well written, and the ending was unsatisfying. I wanted to know more about the aftermath of the exorcism .
Crista Anderson
Nov 29, 2014 Crista Anderson rated it it was ok
Having read one of Ed Warren's tales, I'm more convinced than ever he and Elaine should have just saved their dignity and just focused on writing. Fraudulent as Demonologists, marginal as novelist with wife.
The pacing was slow to start, predictable in the middle (complete with parents in angry denial) and frayed at the end. Think Stephen King fanfic.
Sean Kennedy
Nov 06, 2015 Sean Kennedy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is such trashy nonsense but I couldn't help reading it anyway (and bought some of the other Ed & Lorraine books). I'm proper ashamed of myself. The Ed & Lorraine of The Conjuring are much better than the real life versions.
Judy Hall
Reading about "true" hauntings and possessions always intrigues me. I just don't know how much I believe and how much I don't. Right now, I believe a little less, but it doesn't affect my belief in Bigfoot. He's real.
Marree Goldestberree
Terrible, gruesome account of paranormal attacks

Other than revealing the mental nature and history of the persons who committed the evil acts which began the possession, this book is complete.
Jacob
Oct 28, 2015 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the spookiest books i have every read. This book is very hard to find. I don't think it has been in print for some time. I had a 1st edition HBDJ I sold on ebay and made a quite a bit.
Michael
Apr 08, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Adam Raney
Nov 06, 2014 Adam Raney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2 thumbs up

I really enjoyed this book, and I am glad I actually purchased it in the Amazon book store rather than buying the actual book online. concerning the fact the the original book is about $100 book. I for some reason don't believe that what was described to have happened to this family is the full truth. just like movies that are based on a true story, or actual events... I believe this story was exaggerated a bit to make it more scary. To make it stand out more. all in all I still enjoy
Ella
Mar 13, 2014 Ella rated it it was amazing
Amazingly written. I felt like I was there and experiencing everything for myself. My Skin crawled on several occasion. Great Read
  • The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
  • The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson
  • The Devil in Connecticut
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • The Myrtles Plantation: The True Story of America's Most Haunted House
  • True Haunting
  • Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • The Loveliest Dead
Edward "Ed" Warren Miney was an American paranormal investigator and author associated with prominent cases of haunting. He was a World War II US Navy veteran and former police officer who became a noted demonologist, author, and lecturer. He worked with his wife Lorraine Warren.
More about Ed Warren...

Ed & Lorraine Warren (6 books)
  • Graveyard (Ed & Lorraine Warren #1)
  • Ghost Hunters (Ed & Lorraine Warren #2)
  • The Haunted (Ed & Lorraine Warren #3)
  • Werewolf (Ed & Lorraine Warren #5)
  • Satan's Harvest (Ed & Lorraine Warren #6)

“All things work together for good to them that love God.” 0 likes