Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)

Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches #8)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Horse of a Different Color ends the "roving days" of young Ralph Moody. His saga began on a Colorado ranch in Little Britches and continued at points east and west in Man of the Family, The Fields of Home, The Home Ranch, Mary Emma & Company, Shaking the Nickel Bush, and The Dry Divide. All have been reprinted as Bison Books.
Published August 28th 1994 by Bison Books (first published January 28th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Horse of a Different Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horse of a Different Color

Becky
This was one of my favorites of the series. This guy lived a thousand lifetimes in 22 short years. Love these stories - will read them again and again.
Rob Cannon
I highly recommend all 8 of the Ralph Moody "Little Britches" books. There are some that I enjoyed more than others, but that is only the difference between 4 and 5 stars in this case.

Moody teaches us the value of hard work and honest dealing. These principles are contrasted very well by showing the consequences of laziness and cheating. And he tells a ripping good story in the process. We also get insights into the strong bonds of family, friendship and the love between a man and a woman. And...more
Jessica
So good! He's such a good man! You'll fall in love with his honest good heart.
John Melendez
Best series ever written or lived. Highly recommend all of his adventures
Denae
So, Ralph Moody is just a really cool guy. I wish I could have met him. The only things I didn't like about this book were that 1, it's the last in the series. 2, he gets married at the end.
So funny, and hearbreaking. My favorite are still the ones about when he's 8 to 14 best, the first 4 or so. He makes more mistakes in those, which makes it more interesting.

In this book, my favorite scene, which was only a paragraph or so, is the one with the sheep.
Ralph said the most he made in one trip was...more
Elaine
A great ending to this series. I would recommend it and all of the series to any family. What great values it portrays. I would have given it five stars, but sometimes his successes were a little over the top for me. As in the others, hard work and persistence are major themes of this book, but this one added an element of the importance of having a mentor and being humble enough to listen.

P. 226 When making excuses, Ralph (a.k.a. Bud) starts out ". . .but. . ." and Effie replies, "Buttin's for...more
Jill
I would have given it a four star but too many unanswered questions. Like, where is Paco, his Grandpa, and his Uncle. Why was Edna never mentioned until he was about to marry her? Those are just a few examples of things he never tied up.
Missy
This is another of Moody's biographical works accounting of his early twenties. I just loved it. He's such a scrapper, but you can see his father's steadiness in him too. I am really excited to read the rest of the series in between this one and Little Britches and see how he got to this point.
I just could not get over how hard he, especially, and all the other farm folk work every single day. They did more work in a day than I do in a week, easily. And that's just the way it was. I wonder if t...more
Ashley
I'm really not sure why exactly I've loved these books so much. I have loved reading about his adventures, his work ethic, how he always seems to come out on top, how nothing seems to get him down, how he never blames anyone for what life deals him, how he always has a plan to make things right.... I love that it's true! His story just seems like too much, too crazy, too unbelievable. And at the end of this book, he's only 23! I wonder what he did with the rest of his life....

The books aren't ne...more
Kari
Haha! This wasn't quite my favorite book of all books, but as far as I remember, I may have smiled more for the pure fun of it when I read this one than any of the others. I think maybe I didn't know the whole back story since I haven't read the book right before this one yet, but I will. I basically just loved how he and his wife got together and his sendoff from the townspeople to go get married. And he was only 22! I was 22 when I read it, last summer, and I just felt like I'm really the same...more
Jane
Jun 19, 2013 Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jane by: Given to me when I was first dx'd w/diabetes
Shelves: owned, to-read-again
It's been a long time since I've read this book, but it was brought to my attention recently because of the history of diabetes and the discovery of insulin and the different methods of treatment for diabetes.

Ralph Moody was diagnosed with diabetes and he tells about how he manages it along with his experiences with the buying and selling of stock.

I had no idea that this book was part of a series so now I'm thrilled to be able to look for the other books in the series and read the rest of hi...more
Christy
Ralph Moody was a pretty amazing man. He showed that everything can be turned around, improved and made to prosper by thinking out of the box and hard work. Anyone lucky enough to know and work with him benefited.

This book, like the last one, was probably a little boring to the boys because all the details, but I made sure to talk about the principles.

Highly highly recommend this whole series. I would love to know how his family turned out, about his kids etc... He died in the 80's.
Christie
This one started out a little slow for me, but I was glad I saw it to the end. While it wasn't my favorite, it was certainly still worth reading. My biggest complaint is that the books aren't seamless. I feel like there are characters that popped up here that we've never heard of but should have. On the flip side, what the heck happened to Judy from the last book?
Amy
The goodness of this man is amazing. He is selfless and finds a way to provide for himself and give others opportunities for work or to better their situations. He is a powerful figure in his town for his tender age and survives the collapse of the livestock market. The setting of this book is pre-Dust Bowl, pre-Depression. It is an interesting read with our economy as it is now.
Melody
The final chapter in Moody's series of memoirs, this one takes place when he's in his early twenties. Interesting that he never wrote about anything later in his life- and kind of sad, too. He's just as competent in this one as the earlier ones, teaching himself several new trades including butchering. There are some interesting characters here, and some fun stories. Worth a listen.
Angela
Such a good picture of what life was like in the early 1900's. A great read. It puts my little boys right to sleep :). They still ask me to read more the next day, though. We had a celebration after we finished the series with biscuits and cowboy hats. So fun!
Zinger
Jun 20, 2010 Zinger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
The last book in this wonderful series. The author has such a great attitude and so much energy to life. Hard working, smart, honest, and kind make him such a likable and person. This series are books that make you a better person having read them.
Amanda
I really really loved these books. This was the last one and I am very sad that the journey is done. I loved the wholesome hardworking perseverance of Ralph Moody in the early 1900s. Reading about his life and character has been inspiring.
Yougo
A worthy ending to a fantastic series. They start to get a little slower toward the end, but what a hard working, wonderful example he sets. Much to learn from and be inspired by. The entire series is much recommended.
Meghan
I didn't like this book as much as the others in the series. Still, it was an enjoyable read. The determination and accomplishments of such a young man are certainly inspiring!
Stephanie
I'm sad to have reached the end of this series. This time Ralph goes into the livestock and meat business. The series ends as he marries and settles down.
Magda
Another probable favorite in the series, except for the ending which means that this is the last in the series. Guess I'll re-read them again soon.
The last book in the Little Britches series by Ralph Moody. What a great set of books! Highly recommended!
Bevin
Not bad at all. Lots of ingenuity in that young man.
Shannon
The end of a fabulous series, great for all ages.
Armatstorage
It was great. Love all his books!
JoDean
Jun 12, 2010 JoDean marked it as to-read
In my summer 2010 to-read stack.
Maxwell Slyskavich
Such a amazing book!!
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Laddie: A True Blue Story
  • George Washington
  • In My Father's House
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor
  • Education of a Wandering Man
  • Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • Writing the Natural Way
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • Lady Anna
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were...more
More about Ralph Moody...
Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1) Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2) The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3) The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5) Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)