Start by marking “The Chamber of Ten (Hidden Cities, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Chamber of Ten (Hidden Cities, #3)

The Chamber of Ten (Hidden Cities #3)

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From two masters of dark fantasy comes a chilling tale of magic and possession, set in—and beneath—fabulous Venice, a city slowly being swallowed by the very waters that have made it one of the wonders of the world.

Geena Hodge is an American archaeologist working to salvage Venice’s past from the encroaching Adriatic Sea. When she and her lover, Nico, discover the lost li
Published July 27th 2010 by Spectra (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Chamber of Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chamber of Ten

Janice Bonczek
A great third effort in the "Hidden Cities" series. This installment takes place in Venice. The story is told from the point of view of a couple, Geena and Nico. They are both archaeologists working for a local University, and are working together on a project Geena is heading. The project is the discovery of a hidden vault under the library filled with old books. From centuries ago. Geena believes it to be the mysterious lost library of Petrach.

As they are exploring the underground room, the f
Marcus
Oct 03, 2011 Marcus rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of James Rollins
Decent enough if you can stick it out but you’ll need a lot of patience. Overall, if you’re a fan of James Rollins works, this would probably fall into the same category but it’s not as action-packed nor as well written (not that Rollins' work qualifies as "high art" either).

It wasn't until I started the book that I found out it's third in a series. The tricky part here is that the two main characters, Geena & Nico, have a telepathic bond which took some getting used to. To the characters a
Kristen
I wanted to like this book, and I really tried to like this book. Unfortunately, I didn't like this book. In fact, I didn't like it so much that I couldn't force myself to finish it.

The premise sounded interesting - a story inside a story, present day archeologist Geena is working on cataloguing a major find in Venice - Petrarch's lost library. When she and her team, one of whom is also her lover, Nico, unexpectedly find another room under the library, which is already under sea-level, but mirac
Alex Telander
Bestselling authors Christopher Golden (The Boys Are Back in Town and Baltimore) and Tim Lebbon (Dawn and Desolation) continue with the next Hidden Cities book after Mind the Gap and The Map of Moments, and this time they travel to the enchanting, historical city of Venice. Geena Hodge, an archaeologist, is working with her team at the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana when they come upon a hidden door. A documentary crew is also with them from the BBC covering these last discoveries as Venice conti ...more
Ruthless
It's hard to imagine a book about Venice, ancient hidden libraries AND the supernatural that is boring enough to put down after a hundred pages but these authors manage it. The two protagonists don't stop mewling enough to get interesting. The lead female is wimpy, her boyfriend moronic and other than briefly glancing on "hey guyz we discovered a roomful of old books LOL" there isn't enough history to keep anyone interested for long. Fans of well researched mysteries will be let down by the lack ...more
Jennifer Niskanen
Lacked a bit in comparison to the last book. The characterization didn't seem quite as well done and it was more predictable but still it wasn't bad.
Jessica
I was intrigued when I first picked it up and continued to be enthralled by the way it was written and how the story was developed. But the ending was a little disappointing. It went by too quickly and I felt dissatisfied because there could have been a little more than what was written. It's the only reason why I don't give it 4 stars. Other than that, I enjoyed how it was written and the plotline itself was magnificent!
Diana
Pedestrian suspense thriller, with speculative fiction elements. Thin characters, blasé magic, and superficial atmosphere make it hard to get engaged. Best part: Venetian history. Best character: the villain (of course). Most tiresome: play-by-play emoting inside the head of the female protagonist. It's a made-for-TV movie, targeting women, to sell them European-style frozen entrées.
April
This pair of authors never disappoints. Fast paced, creepy, good puzzle to solve. I enjoyed this one, but it seemed more mainstream than their usual gritty scariness. Four out of five for these two and this enjoyably creepy story.
SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer)
Interesting concept. Not at all what I expected, but it was very good! Set in modern day, with an archeological group, throw in historical figures a little dark magic, and you've got a good read!

Boston Book Bums
The Chamber of Ten snaps along with magical shock and awe. Grab a beverage, a beach chair and enjoy the macabre machinations.
Steven Koch
Also a great book, this time it's set in Venice, and the Hidden places beneath.
Stephen Morris
Reading again! Great take on Venice and black magic!
Barbara
Compeling story, if implasible, but it kept my interest!
Wogc
ok mystery book. nothing spectacular
Jason Curchy
Jason Curchy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Colleen McGee
Colleen McGee marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
RT
RT added it
Feb 04, 2015
Monica Dowell
Monica Dowell marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
K.B.
K.B. marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Johnsom2478
Johnsom2478 marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
jaybee
jaybee marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Exiled Blade (The Assassini, #3)
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • The Bone Chamber
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • The Low Road (Elf Realm, #1)
  • God Save the Queen
  • Geeks vs. Zombies
  • The Dragon Done It
  • Bleak History
  • Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Witchery (Ghosts of Albion, #2)
  • Do They Know I'm Running?: A Novel
  • Will Power
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)
  • The Source
  • Benighted
  • The Broken Blade (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #3)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

Hidden Cities (4 books)
  • Mind the Gap (Hidden Cities, #1)
  • The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)
  • The Shadow Men (Hidden Cities, #4)
Hellboy: Odd Jobs The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Hellboy: Odder Jobs Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)