Start by marking “The Alibi” as Want to Read:
The Alibi

The Alibi

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,915 Ratings  ·  429 Reviews
Sandra Brown's two previous novels, Unspeakable and Fat Tuesday, earned her a loyal band of romantic suspense fans and The Alibi is sure to increase the following. Mixing a little murder, some corruption, and a good bit of illicit romance, this novel makes the golf courses of Charleston, South Carolina, seem as seedy and fascinating as the back alleys of Chinatown.

Hammond

Published August 1st 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Alibi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alibi

♥Sharon♥
Dec 11, 2014 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo alibicollage_zpsccc9d814.jpg

I know I must sound like a broken record right but I truly enjoy all of the Sandra Brown books that I have read so far. Well, there was one that fell a little short for me but all the others have been such fantastic reads for me.

The Alibi is one of my top three SB books. This one takes us to Charlotte, South Carolina where we meet the sexy Hammond Cross and the stunning Alex Ladd.

photo 3e285b4b-01dc-485b-bbad-64535a4ef9fb_zpsfb092ff3.jpg

With each book I have read, there is something a little extra that I end up loving. Whether it is the location, th
Karen
May 05, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

Wow!!! It’s been a while since I’ve read a Sandra Brown book…And damn, have I missed them! And l have to say that this is a difficult book to review, as I don’t want to slip up and give anything away.

Trust me, with this one… Just go in blind. Don’t read any reviews or even plot descriptions. Just start reading.

Hammond Cross

Just know that there are some incredibly juicy characters that await you. The writing is fabulous as usual, and the intrigue undeniable.

Alex Ladd

The dense air was
Mo
Oct 01, 2014 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed this book, as I have enjoyed every Sandra Brown book I have read.

Out here, he wasn’t a professional, or a colleague. Or a son. Tension, anger and the weight of responsibility began to melt off him. The sense of freedom was heady.

It’s more on the suspense and mystery than on the romance but don’t let that put you off. There are still some hot scenes.

Una Tiers
After checking the book out by mistake, the plot once again was intriguing but looooooooooooooooooong. The romance was silly.
The culprit was well disguised. A good few ideas for mystery authors.
Oana
I know I said the exact same thing about every other Sandra Brown novel I had read, but The Alibi truly is the best romantic-suspense ever to be written. And this time I'm sticking to my guns (well, at least until August, when her next one - Mean Streak - will be out).

Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4.5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
♥ Nell ♥
One of my favourite Sandra Brown novels.

Loved the relationship between Alex and Hammond; and Hammond and Davee.

Right from the get go Steffi comes across as harsh. I know she was trying to get ahead in a "man's world" but she seemed to hate every female.

The mystery aspect was great. All I know is that it wasn't Alex or Hammond. Everyone one else was up for grabs.

Wished there was an epilogue.
Pat Cromwell
Feb 10, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The absolute best Sandra Brown book ever. Hammond Cross is the best hero she has ever penned. The book moves at a fast pace. The ending is excellent! Ah... so tempted to give it 5 stars but only God rates a 5. I have 3 copies of the Alibi for fear something might happen to one and then I'd be without. I keep a copy on my bookshelf, my desk at work, and in my car. That way I am covered. There are very few books I am that anal about but this book along with Sharon Sala's Out of the Dark and Anne S ...more
Julie
Aug 31, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Sandra Brown!! This woman kills me. I just don't know what I would do without her books!!! I'm beginning to wonder if I have some sort of addiction problem. I just can't get enough of her novels. Okay. All gushing aside, lets rip this book apart and see what's going on within the pages.

If you've read my reviews before, you know how much I love a flawed character. Sorry, but the more messed up they are, the more I love them. Come on, it's got to be easy to write the PERFECT character. Everyt
Pooja Jeevagan
Jan 30, 2015 Pooja Jeevagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming from someone who rarely gives out 5 star (just 10& of all read books maybe and even rarer to thrillers)...and damn, I have too many freaking reasons for it, including but not limited to:-

- it manages to keep the suspense....even when it dedicates last 50-60 pages pointing in a person's direction you don't feel is right, it keeps the mystery...any novel that is able to keep it for 80& of the span, is worth it...
- its a mystery book, but such soft mystery that half the book; you won
ElaineY
Jun 07, 2014 ElaineY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mf, romantic-suspense
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 3, 2014
Narrator: Dennis Redfield.

One of the best SB's I've read. Nothing she's written in recent years can match this 1999 murder mystery.

The MCs are flawed, vulnerable and fighting for survival - Hammond Cross, for his career, Dr Alex Ladd, for the same and her life. My thoughts about Hammond ran along the lines of 'not another think-with-my-dick hero', "it's black and white, dickhead!" and "you just met her, how can you be so besotted!" so in a way, Hammond Cross, cur
Ivana Azap
I loved this book again - loved Hammond Cross and his gallant behavior. I have been little annoyed with Dr Alex Ladd, and her "damsel in distress" act. Good plot line, an you will never guess who the killer is. Great recommendation ;)
Joy (joyous reads)
Sep 08, 2015 Joy (joyous reads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, sandra-brown
Ugh. This novel drove me nuts. It made me mad. But look at the time! It's 1:30 in the morning. Gah.
Hayley
Wow I finally finished this book.... Took me long enough. I gave this book a 3 star rating because I did enjoy it, but I felt that the book took way too long to get to the point and didn't keep me turning the pages quite as fast.

This story was about a prosecutor named Hammond Cross who goes to clear his head one evening and decides to visit a fair where he runs into a beautiful woman whom he just has to talk to. At the end of their little escapade, he wakes up to find her gone. Pissed off royall
Julie Barrett
Aug 27, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Alibi by Sandra Brown
Luke is dead at the hotel, shot 2 times. They inform his wife and she's not surprised he's not been murdered from his lovers husband. He has had many affairs in the past and although they are married, live in the same house, she knows nothing of his style or meetings of his life.
At the hotel there was also several others who had come down with food poisoning that may have seen the murderer. The cops try to get through to the ER doctor that they must talk to the people ri
Komal
Mar 09, 2013 Komal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
NO. JUST NO. DON'T READ THIS GARBAGE.

I received this book as a prize for English when I was 12, and it was my first experience of the modern thriller. Comparing it to my regular staple of classics I was utterly shocked by the amounts of sex and retarded writing. NOTHING stirred any emotion in me but I laughed quite a lot at how pathetic the book got with each page. One particular point of comedy for me was how horny the characters were. One time Hammond the lead guy breaks up with a girl and the
HJ
May 20, 2015 HJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love most of Sandra Brown's work, but this one really fell flat for me. It was almost 20% into the book before it's clear who the actual main characters are, and the 'romance' of this romantic suspense is about nil. This is pretty much a straight mystery suspense, which I was not expecting, and my rating reflects my disappointment in that.
Connie
Jul 05, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and 'dirty' summer read involving a murder, legal culpability, and much action. An entertaining crime drama set in Charleston, SC.
Kara
Sep 22, 2015 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is a shockingly bad book about lawyers. There's some romance and a mystery involved; those were blah. The romance was based on immediate physical attraction that supposedly deepens into amazing trust and a willingness to sacrifice everything for each other . . . after one night when the two characters don't even know each others' names. I roll my eyes in disbelief.

But the legal aspects of this story made it almost unreadable for me. Every attorney/law enforcement officer has significant con
Karen San Diego
I wasn't expecting a romantic suspense when I put this on my to-read shelf. I mean, I am often confused by that – how do you say a novel is romantic suspense? Almost every novel has romance element in it. And after reading The Alibi, I got it – you say a book is a romantic suspense when the central idea of the book focuses on the romance and the suspense only comes second. This one qualifies.

I am a fan of thriller novels, those which contain some romance in it because really, what good is a book
Keri
Jun 07, 2015 Keri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED IT
AUDIOBOOK

This was a good one. I liked the story and I liked the characters. The male/female lead characters were great together. The only problem I had with this book, which is the same thing I've mentioned about her other thriller books, is that the endings are always too rushed. The story wraps up but only just barely. I'd really like a little more time seeing the male and female together after all the drama they suffered. If not an epilogue, at least just a bit more
Verylazydaisy
Feb 19, 2015 Verylazydaisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can always count on Sandra Brown to deliver some steamy romance, intricately woven into a good old fashioned murder mystery. A bit predictable and formulaic, and I enjoy every bit of it. Great palate cleanser between heavier reads.
Dee
Mar 30, 2015 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

He meets, sleeps with her
Now he must prosecute her
Knows she's not guilty

What a tangled web
The perils of deception
And legal ethics
Amy Metz
Mar 06, 2013 Amy Metz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audio. Usually that means I listen in the car or puttering around the house, sometimes I let it read me to sleep. In other words, when I'm not doing much and I want something to occupy my mind, I listen. I'm not one to sit in a room and listen to an audiobook. I broke that rule with this book. This one was a can't put down (or don't turn off) book for me. I enjoyed everything about it, and just when I thought I knew who the killer was, Sandra Brown threw a curve ball. I lov ...more
Anne
Mar 06, 2015 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WEll now...this was a bit of a slow read. My friend told me to read Sandra Brown The Switch .... much better. I will give this a go and then get back into the In Death series.
Nancy
May 28, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little old-fashioned, somewhat predictable, kept my attention because I wasn't positive which villain was the real "whodunnit" until late in the book.
Lynda
Jan 19, 2016 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deb
Readable, but nowhere near as good as the other book I read by the author "Lethal". I'm actually surprised this is one of her more popular books. One character is more unlikable than the next and I had little to no compassion for most of them. The romantic element lacked conviction considering that it drove many of the main prognostics actions and ultimately I found it more intrusive than moving. There are too many extraneous details that are beside the point and there was absolutely no way to s ...more
Carolina Gonzalez
This book just became one of my favorites!! Loved!
Kim
I listened to this driving to work. So, my opinion is likely different than if I read it.

I spent the first half, perhaps the first 2/3 ready to turn it off for good. I just didn't like it. But then... Then it didn't take so much work to get through. Pretty soon, I found myself sitting in the car for extra minutes not wanting to stop listening.

By the end I loved this book. Thankfully, I finished it long before my drive ended and I had some time to decompress. It was a great ending. By ending, I r
do you remember? 10 17 Jan 22, 2015 06:37AM
Sanda Brown Super...: The Alibi 1 4 Jul 29, 2014 04:30PM
"Stand-In" by Kay Reno 1 13 Nov 11, 2012 06:22PM
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • And Then You Die
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
  • Bait
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Picture Me Dead
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian #1)
  • Where There Is Evil
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

“I'm sure you could have. Fending off unwanted male attention is a skill every attractive woman must acquire. But you're also a lady who was reluctant to cause a scene.. (Hammond Cross)” 14 likes
“Dispensing with the frivolity, he kissed her meaningfully. When at last he pulled away, her troubled expression alarmed him. "What?"
"Be careful, Hammond."
"No one will know I was here."
She shook her head. "Not that."
"Then what?"
"You may have to put me on trial for my life. Please be careful that you don't make me fall in love with you first.”
3 likes