Start by marking “The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders” as Want to Read:
The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders

The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders

Since its original publication in 1995, The Courageous Follower has been put on reading lists everywhere from corporations and the military to unions and churches. This guide helps transform passive followers into active players who can help right leadership wrongs and support and foster a values-based organization.
Published November 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Courageous Follower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courageous Follower

Nov 18, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I like the idea of leading from your position...whether that means supporting your boss or trying to influence others from your can take a leadership role from any position in your organization.
Sep 01, 2010 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every single person with a job should read this book. It should be compulsory! Great book!
Jan 28, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the trick will be to remember the info as needed.
Jan 18, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Courageous Follower Standing Up To And For Our Leaders by Ira Chaleff

I've been reading a bunch of books and articles related to the culturally unpopular topic of "followership" as I'm trying to understand what makes a good follower, and whether "sheep" or "yes-people" are really what a leader needs.

In the original 1995 edition (the only version available through the library) of The Courageous Follower, Ira Chaleff does the best job of showing just how important a follower is in making a leader -- and the organization they serve -- successful. Chaleff offers his
Allen Jr.
Aug 13, 2015 Allen Jr. rated it really liked it
Shelves: followership
In my deep interest on the topic of followership, I finally was able to read Ira Chaleff's "The Courageous Follower." I very much appreciated the respect and value that he ascribes to the follower role. His emphasis on uniting both leader and follower roles around a common purpose is refreshing and challenging; how much of my own involvement is guided by my adherence to our organization's purpose?

Although initially excited at the content in the first few chapters, I found that my interest and en
Liz De Coster
Jan 04, 2013 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok
Shelves: lis
Belated MLLI reading. I couldn't find a strong theory here, just a series of generic statements which affirm the positive, productive actions readers might be taking, but wouldn't persuade anybody to change their attitude or perspective. I really felt it was lacking case studies or other real world examples; most of the statements were so vague that they could either apply to anything, or meant almost nothing.
i was grateful for this unusual take on leadership: of what it means to be successful,as well as what it means to be brave, forthright,groundbreaking, proactive or encouraging. There is only one other book i've read that addresses the value of input from underlings and how important it is to listen.
I had to read this for my School Library Administration class and really enjoyed it. We were to choose a book about being a leader and this is about how to be a courageous follower which in turn makes you a leader in your own right. It's all about how to stand up for what's right and work with integrity for the common good of the organization.
Had some really good ideas & info in the first four chapters & last chapter. Food for thought. I also liked the sample questions and action steps which made it not just an intellectual/theory book but practical as well. Skimmed the last 2 chapters, not as relevant to my current situation.
Jun 02, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to get you thinking about how you support and have a stake in your boss' success (therefore your organization).

The Courageous Follower
Scott Childers
Sep 03, 2013 Scott Childers rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, leadership
Part of it really struck me as "How to suck up to your boss" or "How to be a sycophant". The real stuff that makes the approaches more balanced and make sense come much later in the book.
James Pritchert
Here is another book I read in my subservient time frame. I briefly met the author at a signing event and I used the ideas in the book somewhat in my work.
Jean rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Chartierjosh rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Brady Weldon
Brady Weldon rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
James rated it did not like it
May 19, 2016
Adam Bradley
Adam Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2009
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Ken rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2009
Fawn rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
DeAnn rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Lisa Braun
Lisa Braun rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Nov 16, 2010 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Book for school. Decent ideas but mostly common sense and geared towards (big)buisness settings.
Amy rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Ken Guenther
Ken Guenther rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Julie rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
Kerry rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2012
AJ Lapre
AJ Lapre rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Nov 20, 2008 Angeline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Sam Ladner
Sam Ladner rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders
  • Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery
  • Another Bloody Century
  • Battle Leadership
  • The General
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • The Lions of Iwo Jima
  • Transforming Leadership
  • Leadership: The Warrior's Art
  • Soldier of God (Kirk McGarvey #10)
  • Book Love: Help Your Child Grow from Reluctant to Enthusiastic Reader
  • The Mind and Heart of the Negotiator
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Zingerman's Guide to Giving Great Service
  • How Wars End: Why We Always Fight the Last Battle
  • The Other Side of the Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet Afghan War
Ira Chaleff is an author, speaker, workshop presenter and innovative thinker on the beneficial use of power between those who are leading and those who are following in any given situation.

His groundbreaking book, The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to & for Our Leaders, is in its third edition, has been published in multiple languages and is in use in institutions around the globe includin
More about Ira Chaleff...

“We must take time out to sharpen the ax or we’ll exhaust ourselves trying to fell trees with a blunt instrument.” 2 likes