The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders

The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Since its original publication in 1995, The Courageous Follower has been put on reading lists everywhere from corporations and the military to unions and churches. This guide helps transform passive followers into active players who can help right leadership wrongs and support and foster a values-based organization.
Published November 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 12th 2003)

Susan
The Courageous Follower  Standing Up To And For Our Leaders by Ira Chaleff

I've been reading a bunch of books and articles related to the culturally unpopular topic of "followership" as I'm trying to understand what makes a good follower, and whether "sheep" or "yes-people" are really what a leader needs.

In the original 1995 edition (the only version available through the library) of The Courageous Follower, Ira Chaleff does the best job of showing just how important a follower is in making a leader -- and the organization they serve -- successful. Chaleff offers his...more
I like the idea of leading from your position...whether that means supporting your boss or trying to influence others from your spot...you can take a leadership role from any position in your organization.
Deb
Every single person with a job should read this book. It should be compulsory! Great book!
Anne
the trick will be to remember the info as needed.
Allen Hamlin
In my deep interest on the topic of followership, I finally was able to read Ira Chaleff's "The Courageous Follower." I very much appreciated the respect and value that he ascribes to the follower role. His emphasis on uniting both leader and follower roles around a common purpose is refreshing and challenging; how much of my own involvement is guided by my adherence to our organization's purpose?

Although initially excited at the content in the first few chapters, I found that my interest and en...more
Katilyn
outdated, any good points are described poorly and therefore wisdom should be sought elsewhere.
Liz DeCoster
Belated MLLI reading. I couldn't find a strong theory here, just a series of generic statements which affirm the positive, productive actions readers might be taking, but wouldn't persuade anybody to change their attitude or perspective. I really felt it was lacking case studies or other real world examples; most of the statements were so vague that they could either apply to anything, or meant almost nothing.
Jacquie
I had to read this for my School Library Administration class and really enjoyed it. We were to choose a book about being a leader and this is about how to be a courageous follower which in turn makes you a leader in your own right. It's all about how to stand up for what's right and work with integrity for the common good of the organization.
Alissa
Had some really good ideas & info in the first four chapters & last chapter. Food for thought. I also liked the sample questions and action steps which made it not just an intellectual/theory book but practical as well. Skimmed the last 2 chapters, not as relevant to my current situation.
Michelle BF
Great book to get you thinking about how you support and have a stake in your boss' success (therefore your organization).

The Courageous Follower
Scott Childers
Part of it really struck me as "How to suck up to your boss" or "How to be a sycophant". The real stuff that makes the approaches more balanced and make sense come much later in the book.
James Pritchert
Here is another book I read in my subservient time frame. I briefly met the author at a signing event and I used the ideas in the book somewhat in my work.
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2010 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Book for school. Decent ideas but mostly common sense and geared towards (big)buisness settings.
Sherry
I really liked this book. It speaks to authenticity and the reality of the work place.
Tammy
Reading for the Nebraska Library Leadership Institute
Norma
Love this. I have recommended it to many clients.
Michelle Kleppek
Michelle Kleppek is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Amr
Amr marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Jun 02, 2014
Jackie Gardner
Jackie Gardner marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Laura is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
Gaëlle Le vu
Gaëlle Le vu marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Aaron Neufeld
Aaron Neufeld marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Los Limites de La Violencia: Lecciones de Una Vida Revolucionaria O Lo Que Aprendi de Lenin, El Che y Mandela The Art of Followership: How Great Followers Create Great Leaders and Organizations