Start by marking “The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders” as Want to Read:
The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders

The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to and for Our Leaders

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Since its original publication in 1995, The Courageous Follower has been put on reading lists everywhere from corporations and the military to unions and churches. This guide helps transform passive followers into active players who can help right leadership wrongs and support and foster a values-based organization.
Published November 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Courageous Follower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courageous Follower

Susan
The Courageous Follower  Standing Up To And For Our Leaders by Ira Chaleff

I've been reading a bunch of books and articles related to the culturally unpopular topic of "followership" as I'm trying to understand what makes a good follower, and whether "sheep" or "yes-people" are really what a leader needs.

In the original 1995 edition (the only version available through the library) of The Courageous Follower, Ira Chaleff does the best job of showing just how important a follower is in making a leader -- and the organization they serve -- successful. Chaleff offers his
I like the idea of leading from your position...whether that means supporting your boss or trying to influence others from your spot...you can take a leadership role from any position in your organization.
Deb
Every single person with a job should read this book. It should be compulsory! Great book!
Anne
the trick will be to remember the info as needed.
Allen Hamlin
In my deep interest on the topic of followership, I finally was able to read Ira Chaleff's "The Courageous Follower." I very much appreciated the respect and value that he ascribes to the follower role. His emphasis on uniting both leader and follower roles around a common purpose is refreshing and challenging; how much of my own involvement is guided by my adherence to our organization's purpose?

Although initially excited at the content in the first few chapters, I found that my interest and en
Liz DeCoster
Belated MLLI reading. I couldn't find a strong theory here, just a series of generic statements which affirm the positive, productive actions readers might be taking, but wouldn't persuade anybody to change their attitude or perspective. I really felt it was lacking case studies or other real world examples; most of the statements were so vague that they could either apply to anything, or meant almost nothing.
Jacquie
I had to read this for my School Library Administration class and really enjoyed it. We were to choose a book about being a leader and this is about how to be a courageous follower which in turn makes you a leader in your own right. It's all about how to stand up for what's right and work with integrity for the common good of the organization.
Katilyn
outdated, any good points are described poorly and therefore wisdom should be sought elsewhere.
Alissa
Had some really good ideas & info in the first four chapters & last chapter. Food for thought. I also liked the sample questions and action steps which made it not just an intellectual/theory book but practical as well. Skimmed the last 2 chapters, not as relevant to my current situation.
Michelle BF
Great book to get you thinking about how you support and have a stake in your boss' success (therefore your organization).

The Courageous Follower
Scott Childers
Part of it really struck me as "How to suck up to your boss" or "How to be a sycophant". The real stuff that makes the approaches more balanced and make sense come much later in the book.
James Pritchert
Here is another book I read in my subservient time frame. I briefly met the author at a signing event and I used the ideas in the book somewhat in my work.
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2010 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Book for school. Decent ideas but mostly common sense and geared towards (big)buisness settings.
Sherry
I really liked this book. It speaks to authenticity and the reality of the work place.
Tammy
Reading for the Nebraska Library Leadership Institute
Norma
Love this. I have recommended it to many clients.
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Mandy Cheng
Mandy Cheng marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Heidy
Heidy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Ben Tramposh
Ben Tramposh marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Brea
Brea is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Jackie Corona
Jackie Corona is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Limits of Violence: Lessons of a Revolutionary Life The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to & for Our Leaders Los Limites de La Violencia: Lecciones de Una Vida Revolucionaria O Lo Que Aprendi de Lenin, El Che y Mandela The Art of Followership: How Great Followers Create Great Leaders and Organizations