Start by marking “Hugger Mugger (Spenser, #27)” as Want to Read:
Hugger Mugger (Spenser, #27)

Hugger Mugger (Spenser #27)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  3,435 ratings  ·  115 reviews
"It's easy to see why Parker's snappy banter and cynical eye have kept fans turning pages for 25 years . . . his wisecracks, combined with Parker's shorthand flair for scathing characterization, make for a satisfying read," said Entertainment Weekly of last year's Hush Money. Now Parker presents Spenser with a deceptively dangerous and multi-layered case: Someone has been ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Berkley (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hugger Mugger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hugger Mugger

Kemper
Spenser tracks down a vicious mugger who has been terrorizing Boston, and then he gives him a great big hug.

No, I was just making sure you were paying attention. Actually Spenser gets hired by Walter Clive who is the wealthy owner of a racing horse stable in Georgia. Someone has shot several of Clive’s horses, and an attempt was made on his prized thoroughbred named Hugger Mugger. Spenser journeys south but the attacks on the horses seem so bizarrely random that finding a suspect is impossible.
TK421
O Parker, you must have had an idea for this book but could not put it all together. A very weak 3 stars, ladies and gentlemen. In a way, I am pained after reading this novel. All of the quirky Parkerisms are present: pithy dialogue, interesting set pieces, Susan and her psychobabble (although I could live without this), and Spenser and his humor. But the pieces all seemed to be forced into place. For me, Parker said to himself: "I have an interesting idea for a novel. It is going to take place ...more
Tom
This outing of Spenser takes him to the South where he's trying to find the culprit who's shooting horses. Hugger Mugger is a big up and coming horse, and he may be next up on the hit list. Spenser's kind of a fish out of water, but there's always great dialogue and fast pacing. The one very odd thing about the book is that one of the characters is a possible pedophile and it's tossed around like no big deal. His crimes were covered up by the patriarch of the family, and there's no sense from Sp ...more
Mark
Hired to investigate some horse-shootings - and to protect Hugger Mugger, the prize horse at the Three Fillies stable - Spenser is soon caught up in murder, deceit, bath houses, amorous Southern Belles and bent security firms. Briskly told, with a fine atmosphere, this is a real return to form (I stopped reading new Spenser novels in the early 90s, as they felt padded out but this - from 2000 - is a real turnaround). The mystery works well, the wisecracks and put-downs are as funny as ever and t ...more
Metagion
It was a pretty straightforward case: a shooter was hitting a stable in Georgia, killing one horse, maiming another, and hit a third, which wasn't serious; the Clive family (of which Walter Clive owned the stable, and daughter Penny ran the particulars) wanted protection for their horse Hugger Mugger, a soon-to-be champion and possible target: could Spenser find out who was attacking them and make it stop? As Spenser dives into the case, things are *definitely* not what they seem, and after Walt ...more
David
Gerald Sinstadt
Addicts of Robert B Parker will have different favourites. The really greedy hope for Susan Silverman, Pearl the wonder dog, Hawk, Charlie Cimoli, Quirk and Belson, posibly even Jo Broz. Many are missing from Hugger Mugger, notably Hawk, without whom there can't really be five stars.

The consolation is a lot of Susan, justification for Parker's smart dialogue. Boston doesn't feature. Spenser is in Georgia at a racing stables inhabited by a vicious, conniving, amoral family - "like being in a Tenn
RunRachelRun
This is what I would call the ultimate summer read. Atlanta's not enjoying summer or spring weather consistently yet - lots of gardening this weekend, but driving to work this morning, March 22, SNOW FLURRIES. Anyway "Hugger Mugger" was very enjoyable, particularly because Spenser was experiencing the muggy Georgia heat throughout. Georgia heat sure can be a character in itself. I do love the casual voice of these books. Not too serious and in this confrontational day and age, voices absent of b ...more
Bob
PB Spenser is hired to go to Georgia to find out who has been shooting horses on a thoroughbred farm. Before he has a chance to get very far, the owner who hired him is killed and his youngest daughter who was running the farm fires him. Later back in Boston he is hired by the dead owner's friend or as she puts it his concubine, to look into the will which was supposed to include her son. Spenser is Spencer and Hawk is off in Europe. A light and quick read.
ISBN - 0-425-17955-9, Suspense, Pages -
Jill
This is the 27th novel by Robert B. Parker featuring literate, wise-cracking Boston-based private eye, Spenser, “spelled with an ‘s’, like the English poet.” If Spenser reminds one of Raymond Chandler’s Phillip Marlowe, that is no coincidence: Parker once co-authored a book (Poodle Springs) with Chandler, and he also wrote a Phillip Marlowe novel (Perchance to Dream) after Chandler’s death.

Hugger Mugger is the name of a horse, a two- year-old with great potential. Spenser is hired by Hugger Mug
Blaire
This is classic Parker, although Hawk is absent and Susan is all too present. A good plot, the usual great dialog, and a fitting ending. As with most of the Spenser series, the attraction is Spenser and his supporting characters. The rest is a bonus. It doesn't even matter that this series has gotten pretty formulaic. No one does this sort of thing better than Parker.
Teresa
Spenser goes to Georgia to investigate a threat to a race horse, Hugger Mugger. He goes without Susan, and he misses her when she is not there. He also goes without Vinnie and Hawk, but he doesn't miss them. I do.
Kate
Gotta love Spenser: his character and his breezy, snarky way of describing the other characters and the action. When I come upon a Spenser book that I haven't already read, I grab it.
Could do with less of Spenser's and Susan's smug banter about their sex life. We get it, we get it. Same for banter about their dog Pearl. Yawn.

But as I said, even though I know I can expect these irksome aspects in the later Spensers, I never pass them up. There's always enough color-- and snark-- to make up for th
Beth Gibson
(This book is being added separate, as the other entry with this title is a collection, which is not what I read. Also, the other entry is an audio book, which this is not.)

Spencer is back with his snappy dialogue and sarcastic sense of humor. That is what makes these books fun. He's tough and he knows it. Everyone else is a dumb oaf and he knows that too. At the same time he can quote literature and serve up a four course meal. Not your typical he-man private detective. But an infinitely loveab
Mark Mallett
Hugger Mugger, the title character, is a prize racehorse who doesn't feature in the story much, other than to help establish an environment. Somebody is shooting some horses of lesser value owned by the breeder, and Spenser, our intrepid private eye, is called upon to figure out why. He travels to Georgia to find that Things, needless to say, are not as they seem.

This is the 27th-ish book in the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker; I had read all (or at least most) of them up to this point, which
Johnny
In Hugger Mugger, Spenser manages to stay out of bed with a bevy of Southern Belles and out of trouble with the law. He even manages to call in some favors from his old friend on the police force and cooperate with the local constabulary when he works a case down in Georgia. As much as I enjoyed this New England private investigators foray into Georgia, I really would have expected the setting to be Kentucky. To me, having lived in both states, a threat to thoroughbreds in the Bluegrass Country ...more
Tim Healy
I'm going to start by saying that there's nothing wrong with this book. It's fun, in it's way, and has some good moments. Then, I'm going to say that I'm sure that this is one of the Spenser novels that certain long-time Spenser fans would love to hate. Two glaring reasons: no Hawk, and lots of Susan.

Frankly, I'm with them on Hawk. If Spenser was going to make a side trip to Boston to pick up Susan before going to Saratoga, couldn't Hawk have come back into town to come with them. Nothing agains
LJ
Hugger Mugger - G
Parker, Robert B. - 27th in the Spenser series

Spenser is back and embroiled in a deceptively dangerous and multi-layered case: someone has been killing racehorses at stables across the south, and the Boston P.I. travels to Georgia to protect the two-year old destined to become the next Secretariat. When Spenser is approached by Walter Clive, president of the Three Fillies Stables, to find out who is threatening his horse Hugger Mugger, he can hardly say no: he's been doing pro b
J.D.
This was "OK" for me except it seemed to have ended abruptly and wasn't as much fun as usual. I still can't figure out why all the negative comments about Susan as I find their relationship complimented by her strangeness and 'ways'. I'm giving this book 2 stars instead of 3 because WHERE THE HECK WAS HAWK??? I've fallen in love/lust with Hawk and a Spenser book without Hawk is like a morning without coffee.
Jeff
This was my third outing with Robert B. Parker's detective Spenser. I enjoyed Hugger Mugger more that the previous two books I had listened to (Hundred Dollar Baby and Bad Business). However, my biggest issue came with the ending. It seemed to end too soon without any real closure. Not my favorite method to end a mystery novel wtih, but there is a cerrtain level of irony involved with it as well. In this book, Spenser travels outside of Boston to help a wealthy Georgian race horse breeder who ha ...more
Eliana
What can you say about a writer who can conjure up the likes of Spenser as well as Hawk. Their repartee is the hook and the plots and additional characters reel you in. Anyone who has lived in Boston will particularly enjoy the settings and characters. I am trying to finish up reading every single one of the Spenser series. Almost done!
Christy
I enjoy every one of Robert Parker's books. I wished I owed all of them. This one was every bit as good as the last one I read. His wit and disregard for public opinion is so endearing and comical, all at the same time. I'm headed to the library first chance I get to find some more of his Spenser (like the poet) books!
Mike Jensen
I take it back. A second reading is the crapfest reduced the book from three stars to one. Usually, the better Spenser books are those with reduced Susan. This has reduced Susan, but the story is so tawdry, mean, and implausible that I felt grimy from the muck. Even the several quotes from Shakespeare were no balm. Feh.
Tiina
There were two cases in this novel, an interrupted and then continued, and in between, a very short case. Both cases were examples of things not being as they first looked.

I missed Hawk! Spenser did come up with a couple of really funny comments. His detecting is a process of its very own.
Jill
Loved this one as I do all the Parker books. I relish his crisp no nonsense writing and the wonderful banter between the characters. I am being very stingy with my reading of the rest of his books...don't want them ever to be over!
Kit
Spenser's observation that he seems trapped in the first draft of a Tennessee Williams play could be Parker's abashed admission that he's struggling to make the most of some Southern gothic cliches here.
joyce lynn
ok, i know how naive women can be. been there, done that, myself for a while. i even know how much more "innocent" and "weak" and "vulnerable" SOME southern women can be, seeing as how i've lived permanently in the south now for over 15 years. BUT ...

it kind of ticked me off how Parker portrayed 2 of the main characters in this book. i could see if the sister who was controlling them all was the oldest, that it MIGHT be slightly (VERY slightly) possible, BUT ... not w/ her being the youngest.

any
Dodau
I'm a late convert to this author. I only started reading him in the last year and I'm working my way through the Spenser novels whenever I go to the library. They don't however have many of them and Mr Parker is nothing if not a prolific writer so I haven't managed to find many of the older ones yet but I will. In the meantime there are plenty of newer ones.
Takes me a few pages to get into the story normally but then I'm hooked and can't stop reading. I love the sense of humour in the books an
Cathy Cusson
Typically great read. Love all the Spenser books.
Leslie Jem
Spenser goes to Georgia to investigate at a horse stable.
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • The Turquoise Lament (Travis McGee #15)
  • Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole, #7)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Spenser (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Chance (Spenser, #23) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)