The Bremen Town Musicians

The Bremen Town Musicians

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the classic tale of four beleaguered animals—a donkey who can no longer work, a hound who can no longer hunt, a cat who’s too old to chase mice, and a rooster who’s scheduled to become dinner—who decide to run off to be musicians in the town of Bremen. But they get more than they bargained for when they stumble upon a frightful gang of robbers. Maybe they can find...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Minedition (first published January 1st 1944)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienAdventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Favorite Friendships in Fiction
38th out of 162 books — 73 voters
The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonThe Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
About Friendship
35th out of 142 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
This story was so funny that it was sheer delight when I was a child.
Kathleen O'Mara
Bremen Town Muscians is a funny story about faith and partnership defeating evil.
Maggie
CIP: "While on their way to Bremen, four aging animals who are no longer of any use to their masters find a new home after outwitting a gang of robbers."

A small group of barnyard animals join together after being cast away by their owners with the hopes of making a future as a band of musicians, with unpredictable results. The message of perseverance is subtle but important, and fact that the animals are being cast away by their owners can lead to interesting conversations with youngsters about...more
Julia
Dec 19, 2007 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
Every time I seen a new Lisbeth Zwerger book I know I'm in store for such a visual treat and this is no exception. It's another beautiful reinvention of a classic story full of gorgeous color, exciting compositions and unique details. Her pictures are so light and delicate but she always embraces the darker sides of her tales which gives the illustrations such a unusual and particular depth. I particularly liked the sequences of the animals' grim imagined fates before they hit the road.
nagbb
Great stuff! The Bremen Town Musicians was adapted into a musical play that was translated into Portuguese by Chico Buarque. The musical Os Saltimbancos, later released as an album (which I bought and lost!), is one of the greatest classics for children in Brazil. I also had the great opportunity to play that musical at school as one of the chickens and that unfortunate moment was captured in one single pic that now decorates my parent’s apartment! Like I said, great stuff!
Farina♥Stories
I love this story about the Donkey, Hound, Cat and the Rooster (by the way they used 'other' words for these animals in my Grimm's Fairy Tales book). Each one of them was discarded or knew they wouldn't live long; so they travel together and use their special gift for something useful. I won't say more!
Zack Rock
Not one of Zwerger's best titles, but nonetheless an engaging and beautiful book. The rendering of the animals is especially well executed: Each beast looks to have seen better days, but Zwerger is able to show there's still the spark of life (and later mischief) beneath the mange.
Stephanie
I still can't quite grasp why my students love this story so. Just like last year, it was a big hit. It seems they really draw out the comedy which is funny since when I read it for Folk & Fairy Tale class, I thought it was boring.
Adrienne Furness
The telling and illustration are kind of formal, but I think it works in this telling that is just as much about appreciating the elderly as it is about outwitting thieves.
Theresa
beautiful pictures
a retelling of a story of finding ones place, and finding a family to belong to
Julia
I really loved this book, its one of my favourites by brothers Grimm.
Another one of those tales from the famous Grimm brothers
Ginevre  Rowan
My first book <3
Sonia Tongamp
Sonia Tongamp marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Lauralee Woodruff
Lauralee Woodruff marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Sarah Stumphf
Sarah Stumphf marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Grace Claus
Grace Claus marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Working Cotton
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • A Very Special House
  • Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems
  • Noah's Ark
  • Alphabatics
  • Rain Makes Applesauce
Lisbeth Zwerger (born 26 May 1954) is an Austrian illustrator of children's books. For her "lasting contribution to children's literature" she received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1990.

Zwerger was born in Vienna in 1954. She studied 1971 to 1974 at the Applied Arts Academy of Vienna. Since the publication of her first illustrated book in 1977 she has worked as a freelance pi...more
More about Lisbeth Zwerger...
The Little Mermaid The Swineherd The Nutcracker Swan Lake Art of Lisbeth Zwerger, The (The Art Of...catalogues)