Start by marking “The Bremen Town Musicians” as Want to Read:
The Bremen Town Musicians

The Bremen Town Musicians

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This is the classic tale of four beleaguered animals—a donkey who can no longer work, a hound who can no longer hunt, a cat who’s too old to chase mice, and a rooster who’s scheduled to become dinner—who decide to run off to be musicians in the town of Bremen. But they get more than they bargained for when they stumble upon a frightful gang of robbers. Maybe they can find...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Minedition (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Bremen Town Musicians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bremen Town Musicians

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienAdventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A.  Milne
Favorite Friendships in Fiction
39th out of 167 books — 80 voters
The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonThe Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
About Friendship
35th out of 148 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
This story was so funny that it was sheer delight when I was a child.
Kathleen O'Mara
Bremen Town Muscians is a funny story about faith and partnership defeating evil.
Maggie
CIP: "While on their way to Bremen, four aging animals who are no longer of any use to their masters find a new home after outwitting a gang of robbers."

A small group of barnyard animals join together after being cast away by their owners with the hopes of making a future as a band of musicians, with unpredictable results. The message of perseverance is subtle but important, and fact that the animals are being cast away by their owners can lead to interesting conversations with youngsters about...more
Kaethe
Come on: who doesn't like a story about a random group of animals taking out the bad guys?
Katie
This was quite an interesting story. I loved the illustrations and the way the typesetting was printed.
Julia
Dec 19, 2007 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
Every time I seen a new Lisbeth Zwerger book I know I'm in store for such a visual treat and this is no exception. It's another beautiful reinvention of a classic story full of gorgeous color, exciting compositions and unique details. Her pictures are so light and delicate but she always embraces the darker sides of her tales which gives the illustrations such a unusual and particular depth. I particularly liked the sequences of the animals' grim imagined fates before they hit the road.
AGBB
Great stuff! The Bremen Town Musicians was adapted into a musical play that was translated into Portuguese by Chico Buarque. The musical Os Saltimbancos, later released as an album (which I bought and lost!), is one of the greatest classics for children in Brazil. I also had the great opportunity to play that musical at school as one of the chickens and that unfortunate moment was captured in one single pic that now decorates my parent’s apartment! Like I said, great stuff!
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
I love this story about the Donkey, Hound, Cat and the Rooster (by the way they used 'other' words for these animals in my Grimm's Fairy Tales book). Each one of them was discarded or knew they wouldn't live long; so they travel together and use their special gift for something useful. I won't say more!
Zack Rock
Not one of Zwerger's best titles, but nonetheless an engaging and beautiful book. The rendering of the animals is especially well executed: Each beast looks to have seen better days, but Zwerger is able to show there's still the spark of life (and later mischief) beneath the mange.
Stephanie
I still can't quite grasp why my students love this story so. Just like last year, it was a big hit. It seems they really draw out the comedy which is funny since when I read it for Folk & Fairy Tale class, I thought it was boring.
Adrienne Furness
The telling and illustration are kind of formal, but I think it works in this telling that is just as much about appreciating the elderly as it is about outwitting thieves.
Theresa
beautiful pictures
a retelling of a story of finding ones place, and finding a family to belong to
Julia
I really loved this book, its one of my favourites by brothers Grimm.
Another one of those tales from the famous Grimm brothers
Ginevre  Rowan
My first book <3
Rodney Figueiredo
Rodney Figueiredo marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Debbie Lester
Debbie Lester marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Karen Brown
Karen Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Melissa Bittenbender
Melissa Bittenbender marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Melatimeii
Melatimeii marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • Working Cotton
  • Alphabatics
  • The Emperor and the Kite
  • Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • A Child's Calendar
Lisbeth Zwerger (born 26 May 1954) is an Austrian illustrator of children's books. For her "lasting contribution to children's literature" she received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1990.

Zwerger was born in Vienna in 1954. She studied 1971 to 1974 at the Applied Arts Academy of Vienna. Since the publication of her first illustrated book in 1977 she has worked as a freelance pi...more
More about Lisbeth Zwerger...
The Swineherd The Nutcracker Swan Lake Art of Lisbeth Zwerger, The (The Art Of...catalogues) Little Red-Cap