Start by marking “The Bremen Town Musicians” as Want to Read:
The Bremen Town Musicians

The Bremen Town Musicians

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  555 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This is the classic tale of four beleaguered animals—a donkey who can no longer work, a hound who can no longer hunt, a cat who’s too old to chase mice, and a rooster who’s scheduled to become dinner—who decide to run off to be musicians in the town of Bremen. But they get more than they bargained for when they stumble upon a frightful gang of robbers. Maybe they can find ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Minedition (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Bremen Town Musicians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bremen Town Musicians

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienAdventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Favorite Friendships in Fiction
48th out of 210 books — 94 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
About Friendship
43rd out of 173 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
Jan 02, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
This story was so funny that it was sheer delight when I was a child.
Karen
Mar 25, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Jacob rated 5 stars, Ellie and mom 4 stars. Cute story about the importance of working together.
Leslie Kress
Feb 21, 2015 Leslie Kress rated it it was amazing
The Bremen Town Musicians is an engaging story about a group of elderly animals that are no longer wanted by their owners. They run away and stumble upon a house of robbers. The animals prevail and a lesson of team work, perseverance, and vitality emerges. The illustrations are meaningful and well done. I would recommend this book. I think it is engaging for children because the animals beat the bad guys in a rather humorous way. This book would be great for teaching author’s message. I also mig ...more
Kathleen O'Mara
Apr 17, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it it was amazing
Bremen Town Muscians is a funny story about faith and partnership defeating evil.
Maggie
Apr 14, 2008 Maggie rated it it was ok
CIP: "While on their way to Bremen, four aging animals who are no longer of any use to their masters find a new home after outwitting a gang of robbers."

A small group of barnyard animals join together after being cast away by their owners with the hopes of making a future as a band of musicians, with unpredictable results. The message of perseverance is subtle but important, and fact that the animals are being cast away by their owners can lead to interesting conversations with youngsters about
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
Come on: who doesn't like a story about a random group of animals taking out the bad guys?
Mitchell
Yet another version of this classic tale. The start up was actually pretty good, getting the band together. I especially liked the animals riding on each other backs. But then the back half of the story was just okay.
Katie
Jul 18, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
This was quite an interesting story. I loved the illustrations and the way the typesetting was printed.
Julia
Dec 19, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Every time I seen a new Lisbeth Zwerger book I know I'm in store for such a visual treat and this is no exception. It's another beautiful reinvention of a classic story full of gorgeous color, exciting compositions and unique details. Her pictures are so light and delicate but she always embraces the darker sides of her tales which gives the illustrations such a unusual and particular depth. I particularly liked the sequences of the animals' grim imagined fates before they hit the road.
 Adriana ☂
Jun 13, 2013 Adriana ☂ rated it it was amazing
Great stuff! The Bremen Town Musicians was adapted into a musical play that was translated into Portuguese by Chico Buarque. The musical Os Saltimbancos, later released as an album (which I bought and lost!), is one of the greatest classics for children in Brazil. I also had the great opportunity to play that musical at school as one of the chickens and that unfortunate moment was captured in one single pic that now decorates my parent’s apartment! Like I said, great stuff!
Fantasy♥Magic♥Love
I love this story about the Donkey, Hound, Cat and the Rooster (by the way they used 'other' words for these animals in my Grimm's Fairy Tales book). Each one of them was discarded or knew they wouldn't live long; so they travel together and use their special gift for something useful. I won't say more!
Zack Rock
Jul 15, 2010 Zack Rock rated it liked it
Shelves: read-children-s
Not one of Zwerger's best titles, but nonetheless an engaging and beautiful book. The rendering of the animals is especially well executed: Each beast looks to have seen better days, but Zwerger is able to show there's still the spark of life (and later mischief) beneath the mange.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I still can't quite grasp why my students love this story so. Just like last year, it was a big hit. It seems they really draw out the comedy which is funny since when I read it for Folk & Fairy Tale class, I thought it was boring.
Adrienne Furness
Aug 02, 2007 Adrienne Furness rated it really liked it
The telling and illustration are kind of formal, but I think it works in this telling that is just as much about appreciating the elderly as it is about outwitting thieves.
Theresa
Aug 01, 2012 Theresa rated it it was ok
beautiful pictures
a retelling of a story of finding ones place, and finding a family to belong to
J.
Sep 09, 2007 J. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
I really loved this book, its one of my favourites by brothers Grimm.
Sara
Feb 04, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
Loved it! I can't believe I've never read this before.
Sep 23, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Another one of those tales from the famous Grimm brothers
Ginevre  Rowan
Mar 19, 2013 Ginevre Rowan rated it it was amazing
My first book <3
amaya styles
amaya styles rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Roger Daniel
Roger Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Berengaria Navarre
Berengaria Navarre rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Ioana Denkova
Ioana Denkova rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Peggy Fechtelkotter
Peggy Fechtelkotter rated it it was amazing
Sara Zovko
Sara Zovko rated it it was amazing
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Wanda Warmack
Wanda Warmack rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Julie Aschenbrenner
Julie Aschenbrenner rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
  • The Story of Jumping Mouse
  • Dick Whittington and His Cat
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
  • Тримата братя и златната ябълка
  • The Wave
  • April's Kittens
  • The Graphic Alphabet
  • Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
  • A Child's Good Night Book
  • The Most Wonderful Doll in the World (Blue Ribbon Book)
Lisbeth Zwerger (born 26 May 1954) is an Austrian illustrator of children's books. For her "lasting contribution to children's literature" she received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1990.

Zwerger was born in Vienna in 1954. She studied 1971 to 1974 at the Applied Arts Academy of Vienna. Since the publication of her first illustrated book in 1977 she has worked as a freelance pi
More about Lisbeth Zwerger...