Start by marking “Montana Destiny” as Want to Read:
Montana Destiny

Montana Destiny (McCords #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  264 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
They're the McCords...three rugged, sexy cowboy cousins who'll inherit the family range--if they seek the treasure hidden on it. But even more precious are the women who can tame their wild hearts...

Emergency medic Marilee Trainor likes her freedom and lives for trouble. But when she stumbles upon a clue to the legendary McCord gold, she 's suddenly in a mysterious killer'
Published May 1st 2010 by Forever (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Montana Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montana Destiny

Kelly Moran
Apr 13, 2010 Kelly Moran rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
New York Times best-selling author Ruth Ryan Langan, under the pen R.C. Ryan, has written more than ninety fiction novels, both contemporary and historical in a career spanning more than twenty years. Other titles include: Montana Legacy, Montana Glory, Heart’s Delight, Paradise Falls, Ashes of Dreams, Cover Up, Wanted, Passions Law, Angel, Deception, and Nevada Nights. She has also co-authored books with Nora Roberts. She resides in Farmington Hills, Michigan.

Wyatt McCord is the irresistible
Sophia (FV)
Mar 30, 2010 Sophia (FV) rated it really liked it
Montana Destiny is the second book in the Montana series by R.C. Ryan. Although I believe this could be read as stand alone, I would recommend reading Montana Legacy first to understand the family history and legend of the lost gold that the series is based on. Besides, all three McCord cousins are cute and you don’t want to miss out.

Wyatt McCord has returned to his family’s ranch after travelling the world ready to settle down and get back to his roots. Wyatt’s grandfather, Old Coot McCord spen
Jill
Jul 06, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book for review through Hatchette Books and their book tours. I love finding new authors to read and enjoy. I requested to take part in this tour because it reminded me of Linda Lael Miller's various series about cowboys and ranches and I loved the fact that it contained a mystery. While I do enjoy romance I always enjoy it a bit more with a mystery thrown in there to add to the story.
I liked Wyatt and Marilee, they are likable characters. This is book two in a series, but even t
Hannah M.
Dec 08, 2014 Hannah M. rated it really liked it
In the second of the three McCord cousins books by R.C. Ryan, Wyatt McCord has gotten back into the swing of ranch life. He’s got his family, a job, and a treasure hunt. What more could he need?

Marilee Trainor is the ambulance driver from out of town, and she caught Wyatt’s eyes right as he came back to town. But she really isn’t looking to be tied down. She fought long and hard for her independence and she isn’t going to give it up easily

People have been killed before over the McCord gold, and
Mary Gramlich
Sep 15, 2010 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
This great book has good old fashioned romance, adventure and mystery.

Home is where everything in your life evolves from and revolves around. You find peace there and fill the empty gaps in our lives. Wyatt McCord was searching for his haven called home and believed that traveling the world would fill the gap left in his heart after his parents’ death. But when he returned to the place of his childhood after his grandfather passed away he realized that home was the ranch in Montana and family wa
Julia
May 14, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
Montana Destiny by R.C. Ryan is a must-read for anyone who enjoys cowboys with their romance! It is the second book in this series, but it can be read as a stand alone novel. However, if you would like to get a better handle on the family history and the hunky McCord cousins, I suggest reading Montana Legacy first. After all, you don't want to miss out on these adorable cousins!

Wyatt McCord has been searching the world for his safe haven- not realizing that his hometown of Gold Fever was it all
Kristina Jo
Jul 16, 2014 Kristina Jo rated it it was ok
I said it for book one, I'll say it for book two: "Baby" is a horrible pet name. Couples should never use "baby" on each other. It's the most clichéd pet name in the US, and I've never heard anyone call their sweetheart "baby" without flinching. And it's kind of creepy. (On a side note: "babe" is almost as bad. It's only redeeming quality is that it's more likely referring to "hot babe" than "tiny baby." It's still kind of hideous, though.) I find it hard to enjoy a book when I flinch every time ...more
Jess
May 17, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Let’s start with the bad news. The dialogue was awkward at best, cliched at worst. For the most part, I felt that Ryan was trying too hard with the dialogue - instead of her characters sounding natural, it sounded like they directing a play. All too often, the dialogue narrated the story as if the characters were dictating their stage directions. And the use of ‘cuz’ as a greeting was painful - I’ve never heard anyone say that, much less use it as much as Wyatt, Jesse, and Zane do! And I can’t f ...more
Heather
Apr 26, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
i've wanted to read this for quite a few years. i read montana legacy back in high school &ive wanted to read this one ever since i finished that book.it seemed lighthearted &charming..
but that was then.&this is now.
these storylines,sadly,havent stood the test of time. i used to like storylines like this,but i just cant put up with them anymore.they arent realistic.&its cheesy at times.so overdone.
"long,long legs." one long would have been fine.
its bad writing when i think he fel
Katie
May 21, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2010
I won this one in a first reads contest, and it was actually alright. Some parts of it were a little risque for me, but if you kinda skipped over those parts it was pretty good. I haven't read a lot of romance novels, but I am beginning to see a pattern here: Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl despite the love being somehow "forbidden," they overcome the odds and decide to start a relationship anyway, the relationship cruises along, and maybe they have a fight, but then the girl is put in a life ...more
DKAY
May 25, 2010 DKAY rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I would have to say that I thought this book was very good. I just love a good Western Romance especially when you just don't want to put it down. Although this is the second book in the series it didn't matter you can read them in any order and still understand and enjoy the story. I haven't read the first book of the series which is "Montana Legacy" but will be reading it soon as I have found that I really like the way this author writes. I like how she gets into detail about the characters an ...more
Kate
Jun 10, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Kate by: First Reads Win!!!
Shelves: 2010, first-reads
Reviewer Synopsis
When “Crazy Old Coot” McCord passed on, he left behind a legacy of vast Montana ranch lands, a thriving family business and his obsession to find the “McCord Fortune”; a fortune of gold said to have been stolen from the McCord family over 100 years ago. The town may have called Coot McCord crazy, but when his grandsons were beckoned home to attend his funeral, they took up his search with a fervor matched only by his own.

In Montana Destiny, the second of the Montana series by R
Roxann
Jul 12, 2014 Roxann rated it really liked it
This way a great book. Marilee has fought hard for her independence and while she falls for Wyatt, she feels that he is too overprotective and will take that independence away.

Wyatt is a cowboy that was taught you protect the ones you love. He has to find a way to compromise his need to protect and Marilee's need for independence or lose her forever. And while he is doing this, figure out who is out to end her life completely......
Skyreads47
Jun 08, 2010 Skyreads47 rated it it was amazing
I thought this storyline was very good. It kept me interested and was very hard to put the book down. It was a book that made me want to just read more and more and I really just didn't want it to end. It has excitement, desire, passion and suspence all in one and that makes for a great book.

Marilee and Wyatt are the two main characters in this book and they make for a great couple. They are strong willed and both have went to great lengths to make a life for themselves that they always wanted
Robin
May 19, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
This is the second of three books. They can be read as a stand alone, but I always like to start with the first book of a series. First off, I did like this book. It had a cute story, the characters were nice, I liked some of the banter between all the characters. I also liked the description of the house they all lived in. However I felt like the dialogue was off, sometimes childish in a way. I felt like some parts were developed good while others left be a bit confused. Like when other charact ...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 11, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary romance fans
This book is a pleasant contemporary romance. I love the small-town setting, and the way the community and its gossip factor into the plot. I liked that the main characters meet and are attracted to each other before the mystery elements are introduced. I've read too many novels where the suspense action throws the protagonists together, in a small town they would naturally know each other beforehand.

While I've read many novels that were better crafted than this one, I can honestly say that I en
Kimberly
May 18, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, first-reads, romance
After winning this through First Reads, I picked up Montana Legacy, the first book in the trilogy, to acquaint myself with the characters, setting, and plot. I have to say that this second book, Montana Destiny was even better than the first. The main characters are more developed and both have flaws, albeit slight, that make the story feel a bit more authentic. This is a fell-good western romance with a little mystery thrown in to spice things up. I enjoyed it and I will be reading the final bo ...more
Barbara
May 12, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2010
I won this novel as part of the firstreads giveaway. The mystery storyline of this novel was very interesting, and it was written in such a way that you cared what happened to each of the people involved. However, the romance part was much too sensual for my taste. It could have been toned down quite a bit and still have been enjoyable.
Paula
Jun 27, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thank you Goodreads! This is a book I won and I enjoyed it very much. Wish I would have read the first book in the series first, but plan to do so now that I have read the second one - also, will be sure to read book #3 when it comes out.
Diana
Sep 18, 2010 Diana rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book! Marilee is all about taking on the world until she meets Wyatt. Can both lose their strong independence and realize they love each other, before it's too later. Mix this in with murder! Great story!
Anna-Lisa
Apr 13, 2012 Anna-Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, cowboys
Great second volume in the McCord trilogy. Loved the whole family treasure thing story and the two maincharacters Wyatt and Marilee. I had so much fun with this story!

*** german rewview will follow ***
Linda
Jun 07, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok
This cowboy romance set in Montana was just fair. I'm not a big romance fan and rarely read them. Unfortunately, this book had several editing problems & I wish I could have fixed them.
Lara Van Hulzen
Sep 16, 2012 Lara Van Hulzen rated it liked it
The story was interesting and the characters are fun, but I find the author's tendency to skip from one point of view to another without a section break distracting and frustrating.
Casey Dawes
Aug 05, 2012 Casey Dawes rated it really liked it
While it was a little difficult to get into the characters in the beginning for me, I really enjoyed the book--a great summer read. I'm eager to read the other two in the series.
Susan Stahley
Oct 08, 2010 Susan Stahley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for anyone who likes thriller romances. It is a book that once you pick up, you will be quickly engrossed in the mystery and romance.
Shannon Renee
Jul 07, 2010 Shannon Renee rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the McCord/Montana series and I liked it as much as the first. I can't wait to read the final one Montana Glory.
Maureen Hubley
Dec 19, 2013 Maureen Hubley rated it really liked it
Another great book about the second cousin. Cannot wait to start the final book about Zane this afternoon.
Loretta
Jan 28, 2013 Loretta rated it really liked it
Shelves: cowboys
kept me biting my nails to see who all was in on the conspiracy.
Alana
Nov 12, 2010 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
even better than the first. i was almost in tears! great!!
Carol
Jun 23, 2010 Carol rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, for-review
I just didn't care enough to even finish it.
  • A Cowboy Christmas (The Lost Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • Desire Me (The Legend Hunters, #2)
  • I Love This Bar (Honky Tonk, #1)
  • Garrett (McKettricks, #12)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
  • Trouble in Cowboy Boots (Sequins, Saddles and Spurs, #1)
  • Wanted! (Sons of Chance, #1)
  • Going Cowboy Crazy (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #1)
  • Tempted by a Warrior (Galloway Trilogy, #3)
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • Dangerous Desires (A-Tac, #2)
  • Home is Where the Bark Is
  • Breaking Brent (Roped, #2)
New York Times bestselling author R.C. Ryan has written more than ninety fiction novels, both contemporary and historical. Quite an accomplishment for someone who, after her fifth child started school, gave herself the gift of an hour a day to follow her dream to become a writer.

The Lost, an anthology of stories by J.D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Patricia Gaffney, and R.C. Ryan writing as Ruth Ryan Langa
More about R.C. Ryan...

McCords (3 books)
  • Montana Legacy (McCords, #1)
  • Montana Glory

“In a hurry to escape he let himself out of the house and walked to the truck. Before he could climb inside Marilee raced down the steps.
Breathless,she came to a sudden halt in front of him.
At the dark look in his eyes she swallowed. "Please don't go,Wyatt. I've been such a fool."
"You aren't the only one." He studied her with a look that had her heart stuttering.A look so intense, she couldn't look away. "I've been neating myself up for days,because I wanted things to go my way or no way."
"There's no need.You're not the only one." Her voice was soft,throaty. "You've always respected my need to be independent.But I guess I fought the battle so long,I forgot how to stop fighting even after I'd won the war."
"You can fight me all you want. You know Superman is indestructable." Again that long,speculative look. "I know I caught you off guard with that proposal. It won't happen again. Even when I understood your fear of commitment, I had to push to have things my way.And even though I still want more, I'm willing to settle for what you're willing to give,as long as we can be together."
She gave a deep sigh. "You mean it?"
"I do."
"Oh,Wyatt.I was so afraid I'd driven you away forever."
He continued studying her. "Does this mean you're suffering another change of heart?"
"My heart doesn't need to change. In my heart,I've always known how very special you are.It's my head that can't seem to catch up." She gave a shake of her head,as though to clear it. "I'm so glad you understand me. I've spent so many years fighting to be my own person, it seems I can't bear to give up the battle."
A slow smile spread across his face, changing it from darkness to light. "Marilee,if it's a sparring partner you want,I'm happy to sigh on. And if,in time,you ever decide you want more, I'm your man."
He framed her face with his hands and lowered his head,kissing her long and slow and deep until they were both sighing with pleasure.
Her tears started again,but this time they were tears of joy.
Wyatt brushed them away with his thumbs and traced the tracks with his lips. Marilee sighed at the tenderness. It was one of the things she most loved about this man.
Loved.
Why did she find it so hard to say what she was feeling? Because,her heart whispered, love meant commitment and promises and forever after,and that was more than she was willing to consider. At least for now.
After a moment he caught her hand.
"Where are we going?"
"Your place.It's closer than the ranch, and we've wasted too much time already."
"i can't leave the ambulance..."
"All right." He turned away from the ranch truck and led her toward her vehicle. "See how easy I am?"
At her little laugh he added, "I'm desperate for some time alone with you."
Alone.
She thought about that word. She'd been alone for so long.What he was offering had her heart working overtime. He was willing to compromise in order to be with her.
She was laughing through her tears as she turned the key in the ignition. The key that had saved his life.
"Wyatt McCord,I can't think of anything I'd rather be than alone with you.”
3 likes
“He stood and slipped into his jeans, leaving the waist unsnapped as he made his way to the plane in that loose, lanky stride that had her mouth watering. She loved the look of him, like a cowboy in some Madison Avenue ad. Except that he was the real thing, with big,work-roughened hands and scuffed boots and a high-voltage smile that could reduce her to puddles when it was directed her way.” 2 likes