Fired!: Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, and Dismissed

Fired!: Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, and Dismissed

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  32 reviews
If you've ever been fired, you're in good company. That's what actress and writer Annabelle Gurwitch discovered when she was fired by her idol Woody Allen ("You look retarded"). She confided her tale of woe to her friend Felicity Huffman, who made Annabelle laugh with her own stories. Annabelle realized that there was a world of people out there waiting to laugh at the exp...more
Published March 10th 2006 by Touchstone (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fired!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fired!

Melki
"I've been fired more times than a postal employee's gun."
Wildman Weiner, Maytag repairman

Ah, yes..,.FIRED, the new f-word.

My one and only, ahem, "dismissal" occurred in the early nineties when I worked at a card/gift store. Near as I can figure, I was fired for having a sense of humor when the owner did not. ( He really couldn't stand when someone had something he didn't, be it common sense, or a height of over five feet.) So, I was out on my ass, though I had my moment of sweet, sweet revenge...more
Some books are a like a fine four-course meal. You take your time. You appreciate every bite. You savor each delectable mouthful. When it is over, you feel like you've had an experience.

Some books are like comfort food. They fill you up and make you feel good inside. You crave more, and they make you feel better when you are feeling down.

Some books are like candy bars. They are sweet, easy to eat and gone in no time.

This book was a candy bar.

Now don't get me wrong -- I LOVE candy bars. (I love t...more
Mckinley
The books starts innocently enough with a story from the editor about being hired and shortly thereafter fired by her idol, Woody Allen. She was miserable about it, but when she told others not only did they laugh, but many shared their own stories of being let-go.

It turns out that there are sub-categories to being fired and this book has examples of them all:
- the job so terrible you can only hope to be fired,
- the firing you didn't see coming,
- the time you deserved to be fired,
- the time gett...more
Carolyn
LA Theatre Works provides a two and one-half hour fun-filled production in which actors, writers, and stand-up comics (plus one juggler) tell stories about how they were fired, some several times. There's also a movie which we may watch later this week. An entertaining diversion!
Cassie
Again, I wish I could give a book 3.5 stars. I enjoyed reading this book after watching a small portion of the Documentary of the same name directed by the author. I wanted to continue reading all of the stories of being fired but never felt the book really pulling me. Most of the stories are written by directors or actors who discuss being fired from menial jobs they held while pursuing their "dream". I wished there had been more stories from everyday folks. You can only read so many stories ab...more
Alice
Here are some problems with this book: 1. The stories aren't edited very well. Some tell one single cohesive (sometimes good) story, others just blather on about firing in general. 2. The stories are almost all written by famous people, most of them supposedly funny. Their humor makes it difficult to tell which parts of the stories are true, and they're not even that funny. This also means that they range of jobs people are being fired from is pretty narrow. 3. The categories the book is based o...more
Barbara
If you have ever been fired, you can place yourself in the same company as comedians Judy Gold and Anne Meara, actress Ileana Douglas, and filmmaker Morgan Spurlock. There are five categories of being fired, according to the book: (1) the job so terrible you can only hope to be fired; (2) the firing you didn't see coming; (3)the time you deserved to be fired; (4) the time getting fired leads you to something better; and (5) the time you had to fire yourself. The humor is uneven at times, but ove...more
Catherine
I bought the book immediately viewing the documentary that Gurwitch also made about the subject. The stories about being "let go" range from the hilarious to the heart-rending, but all have one thing in common - each person has moved on to bigger and better things. So it just goes to show that we can learn quite a bit about ourselves, and others, from the failed relationships we might have had even in the professional arena.
Andrew
Jun 27, 2007 Andrew rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in show biz
Shelves: humor, cha
This was Alex's CHA selection. It was just a series of anecdotes from people who have been fired: some famous, some not. The stories were interesting and funny, but the vast majority of them were about people who were fired from acting gigs, which is not what comes to mind (for me anyway) when I think of the word "fired". Many of the people weren't even fired, just not called back. That aside, the book was a fun read.
Michelle
I think I may have listened to a different version on audio book, but this was still a fun and light jaunt to listen to while sitting in traffic. Anything helps, believe me. Some of the vignettes are better than others, but I could definitely identify with all the fears and failures!
Dave Gaston
Universally funny audio book, it is amazing that someone didn’t choose this subject before now. A series of short stories and stand up performances dramatically retelling the events surrounding the day they were fired. My personal favorite was the macho, “You be a man. I’ll be a man.” As an aside, amused to find this coded under business books. 10/23/06
Jason Fialkovich
A hilarious collection of essays about even famous people getting fired. This book took me a day to read while on my cruise. I recommend it to anybody looking for a quick, easy, and encouraging book that'll put alot of things in perspective and assure you other people go through difficult times. (No, I didn't get fired from my job!)
Andrea
While this group of essays was amusing, it was not as funny as I had hoped it would be when I picked it up. I have noted a number of things in my life being less enjoyable due to my high expectations lately (movies, novels, etc.) and it is something I am working on for my own personal growth.
Julie
I listened to this at work yesterday & laughed aloud. Creative people telling tales of getting fired, what's not to love? Apparently there is a movie with some firings that are not in the audio - I'll be watching that soon.
Charlayne Woodard, fired from Henry IV, is a highlight.
Mike
There is a sly message. All of these folks got fired, but there is almost always a happy ending: success. The sin is not getting fired; it's to stop trying or to lose your sense of humor. In fact if you haven't been fired, you apparently aren't trying hard enough.
Brandy
Light, usually funny. Mostly TV/movie celebrities, with a couple of relative nobodies thrown into the mix. I'd imagine that it's a much funnier book if you've been recently shitcanned, but without that context? Funny enough, but with little lasting memory.
HeavyReader
I started reading this book one day at work when the computers were down and I didn't have anything to do, but couldn't leave. It is amusing. It is amusing to read stories of rich and famous people (mostly) in the entertainment industry getting fired.
It's amusing, and it made me feel a lot better about my own sudden shift in career plans. It's not life-changing, literary masterpiece that makes you reconsider everything you thought you knew, but it was enjoyable and comforting.
John
Almost as good as the documentary (watch it!), this book is equally funny, chilling and inspiring. It suffers a bit from too many show-biz stories, but still, well worth reading.

Now -- how about a sequel!
Donna
Hilarious! Especially if you have even been fired from a job yourself. Some celebrities even share their embarrassing stories of getting fired from Hollywood and Non-Hollywood jobs.
Kirsti
This was fun. Some of the firings were deserved; others weren't. The writers are mostly show-business people, but people from other walks of life contributed as well.
Kathleen
This was amusing. About 80% of the essay were about people in the entertainment industry. It would have been much more interesting to have read about corporate America!!
rob
I was most interested in this book from the side of the people doing the firing, looking at what worked, what didn't, the perception of various phrases.
Billy Ward
After being let go from my job, it was nice to read how other people had it worse. Schadenfreude is bad, but at times like that, it was so good!
Stacey
I actually don't know why I picked up this one. But it's an amusing collection of stories of fired celebrities.
Ray
The book contains several humorous anecdotes about individuals getting fired. It's a nice easy read.
Recynd
You know, whatever. Some of the essays were a hoot; others...not so much. A bathroom read.
Louie
A lot of the stories are pretty funny. Light reading.
Neisys
It's very entertaining. A good afternoon read.
Natalie
Too boring to continue reading.
You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up: A Love Story I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50 Autumn Leaves Fired Again: Stories from the Book Fired! Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, & Dismissed Kiss Daddy Goodnight