Blood Hina (Mas Arai, #4)

Blood Hina (Mas Arai #4)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In this fourth installment of Naomi Hirahara's highly acclaimed "Mas Arai" mystery series, Mas' best friend Haruo is getting married and Mas has grudgingly agreed to serve as best man. But then an ancient Japanese doll display of Haruo's fiancee goes missing, and the wedding is called off with fingers pointed at Haruo. To clear his friend's name, Mas must first uncover a w...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Hina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Hina

Cheryl
Mas Arai is the best man in his friend’s wedding. It is a good thing that people have wedding rehearsals as Mas has dropped the wedding ring into the koi fish pond. Well things can only get better from here…right? No things can get worse…a lot worse. Mas’s friend’s fiancée’s priceless Japanese doll collection has been stolen. Who would want to steal a doll collection and why? These are the questions Mas must find answers to in Blood Hina.

Author Naomi Hirahara has written several novels but Bloo...more
Chris
I almost read this one out of order, since I couldn't find Snakeskin Shamisen in any libraries or bookstores nearby. I'm glad I decided to buy an ebook copy and read the books in sequence. That way I can enjoy Mas' growth and slow changes as they occur. I am eager for #5 to be written.

Once again I enjoyed the development and believability of the relationships, both the old and the new. And, once again, the mystery took me by surprise. This time, one of the elements approached the unbelievable, a...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Mas Ari is a wonderful protag: smart, dissembling, loyal. Mixing in incidents of historical significance and interest, old and new Los Angeles, and the Japanese experience in America all make a win-win-win mystery. Publisher's Weekly says, "...shyly powerful", and that's a nice sum up of Hirahara's writing and Mas Ari himself.

In Blood Hina, Mas searches for Haruo who has disappeared shortly after his bride-to-be cancels their wedding and her antique Japanese dolls are stolen. Intrigue at the flo...more
Spuddie
#4 Mas Arai mystery, featuring the seventy-something Japanese-American gardener in LA. Mas investigates the theft of some Hina dolls that belonged to his best friend's fiance Spoon--and their disappearance caused the bride-to-be to cancel the wedding on the big day itself. Then Haruo himself disappears and Mas is fraught with worry as he uses his harmless old man persona to overhear some interesting information that may lead back to the death of Spoon's first husband some twenty years previously...more
Susan
Semi-retired Japanese-American gardener Mas Arai reluctantly agrees to be best man at his friend Haruo's wedding. Then some heirloom dolls are stolen from Haruo's fiancee Spoon's house, and the wedding is called off. Haruo moves in with Mas, who feels impelled to investigate, even though he doesn't see why there's such a fuss about the hina--wedding doll. Despite himself, Mas also starts to feel sorry for Spoon's youngest daughter Dee, lately out of rehab. This is a wonderful series, and if you...more
Liz
Mas Arai definately my new favorite "reluctant detective". His character tries so hard to stay in the background - then he does have to help his friends - who are so quirky. A look at Japanese American culture in Los Angeles as well.
Naomi Hirahara was at the San Diego County Library Book Festival, good speaker, she llikened some of Mas Arais characteristics to her father. I can't wait for the next installment!
Jason
It took me a whle to adjust to the "accent" of the characters in this one-but once I got the hang of it-I really enjoyed this mystery. The protagonist is one I've never encountered before-I've read the reluctant detective, and the grumpy detective, but never the 2 together in such an interesting mix. The cultural aspects where wonderfully detailed. Really enjoyed this one.
Lani Duke
A charming book with an unexpectedly endearing protagonist. Very plausible plot set in a part of the world I know little about. I did not think I would like it when I glanced at it initially, but it is a book and writing style that grows on this reader.
Linda
I've come to love this series. Mas Arai used to irritate me, but now I love him. Though if I had to live with him, I'd probably deck him. This is a fine entry to the series, with interesting details about Japanese dolls and the flower market trade in L.A.
Jill
I didn't think I'd like the charcters but in the end I really enjoyed the older Mas character and found the mystery worth the time. This mystery is different with MAs as the unlikely detective. He is not your typical detective.
Natalie
My favorite of the Mas Arai books so far! I have a whole set of Girl's Day Dolls passed down from my grandmother, so this really meant something to me. Plus, enjoying the "love connection" for Mas!
Andy
A wonderful book. I have read many reviews that mention that this is not the best of the Mas Arai series. If so, then I really look forward to reading the rest.
Carol Tensen
Blood Hina is the fourth in a series. I seriously couldn't put this one down. Was it because I have a soft spot for Haruo with his keloid scar? Or was it because I liked the way Mas and Dee developed a sort of reluctant parent child relationship? Maybe it was the way Hirahara depicts L.A. County: the convergence of the Flower Mart, Toy District, and Skid Row, the Japanese Cultural Center in J-Town, St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Crenshaw, and, of course, Altadena. In spite of his language diffic...more
Mike Ekinaka
If you're Japanese American and grew up in LA you might enjoy this book as it will remind you of people and places from your past.
Monica
Mas Arai is an interesting non-detective detector. A nice addition to the series. Looks like his daughter is moving back to LA....
Jane
Not as good as previous ones but still enjoyable.
Mary Helene
Good but not as good as earlier ones. This one felt written in a hurry. There were some outstanding scenes (example: how Mas' jealousy rose up and he was proud of his calluses shaking the other gardener's hand) but but but the plot lines were improbable and complex and the wrap up hasty. This one needed another rewrite to be the best it could be. Still can't beat it for Japanese/LA sense of place.
Rebecca
There are a lot of positive blurbs on the dust jacket of Blood Hina, and I don't quite get why. And I'm fairly disappointed. Murder and mayhem in the Japanese Issei, Nisei and Sansei communities, and the daily life of immigrants and working-class natives in the gardening and agricultural industry in modern-day Los Angeles could be a refreshing, interesting world within the mystery genre. Maybe earlier books in the Mas Arai series are good; this one, particularly the simple pidgin English-speakin...more
Cymiki
oh boy! look what showed up in my inbox!
part 2 - look who did not have time to read, jeez.......
part 3 - this was probably the longest book i've ever read in terms of having it checked out and returning it over and over again. happy to report that i finally finished it. as with the other Mas Arai books, love the character and the Japanese words in the book. Many i understand and have to smile as these terms take me back to old times.....
Tiffany
The mystery was definitely hard to piece together. I like that you get a rudimentary Japanese lesson throughout the book. Not too much. I often felt sorry for the main character because he's old with a car he has to open with a screwdriver. I didn't feel like he did too much deduction or anything, he just kind of followed leads and stumbled into the story along the way.
Chris
A different main character than any I've ever read about. Mas Arai is old, speaks lousy English and Japanese, is too shy to tell anyone what he really thinks and crotchety. Getting past him was hard, but the story was interesting.
Kanna
The best line on page 203: "Yeah, sounds like you were in some kind of assassin movie," G.I. said from the second line. "Pretty soon they'll be calling you Mas the Badass."
P
May 03, 2011 P added it
Shelves: adult, mystery
An elderly Japanese American detective, he's grumpy, he clicks his dentures and he's great. The setting is both odd and familiar at the same time. A good vacation read.
Cherisse
Cherisse marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Rochelle
Rochelle is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
judy
judy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
1001 Cranes Summer of the Big Bachi (Mas Arai, #1) Snakeskin Shamisen (Mas Arai, #3) Gasa-Gasa Girl (Mas Arai, #2) Murder on Bamboo Lane