Start by marking “The Fearless Mind: 5 Essential Steps to Higher Performance” as Want to Read:
The Fearless Mind: 5 Essential Steps to Higher Performance

The Fearless Mind: 5 Essential Steps to Higher Performance

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Life is a performance whether you re on the field, in the courtroom, or running a household. But many of us, when asked to perform, are overcome by fear. We lose our confidence and allow our insecurities to hinder us. In The Fearless Mind, sports psychologist Craig Manning teaches you how to beat mediocrity and embrace greatness. With many years of experience as a pro tenn ...more
Published January 8th 2010 by Cedar Fort (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fearless Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fearless Mind

McKenzie
THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!
Kerri
Written by a sports psychology consultant/previous tennis player & tennis coach, this book had some good advice for athletes and coaches, but also anyone who wants to make improvements in their life. The overall idea is that you need to have confidence, positive reinforcement and be task oriented.

There are several good quotes from this book:
All things being equal, the mentally tough will always come out on top."
"When a winner fails, he trains harder while a loser blames others." Wayne Benn
Linze
This book was life changing for me. It has altered my way of thinking and taught me to explore things without fear... I would recommend this book to anyone working on personal development during any point in their life. IT. WAS. AWESOME.
Drew Johnson
Written by a sports psychologist and tennis coach. Sometimes a bit hokey but short and to the point. Codifies some things that make sense that I hadn’t seen codified before. For instance Performance equals ability plus practice less interference (P=A+Pr-I). Interference is generally a function of guilt (concern about the past) or fear (concern about the future). By living in the present focused on the things we can control, we minimize interference and hence improve performance.

Discusses the im
Mike Trapp
Why have I NOT heard of this author prior to now? I'm 54 and this author reinstills within me a younger outlook. I finished the book in less than a week, and I now have a rejuvenated outlook towards my career. I am also going to pick up several copies to give to my children as Christmas gifts. They can sure use the techniques and observations within to aid them in their life's quest. The author is a former tennis coach for BYU and his experience and observations about performance behavior will c ...more
Tanner Potter
I really liked the sports psychology aspect of this book. The latter half of the book wasn't as insightful for me, but I appreciate the framework and applicability of the material.
Tiffany
This is a fascinating book on why we must be positive in our lives. Our minds have much more control than we realize and making a true effort to focus on the positive and accentuate it by making goals, writing them down, giving ourselves credit for the good. It is so natural to do the opposite and takes much greater effort to do this. Through examples given he shows and by doing this our habits change. My son read this and uses his journal and is making leaps in many different areas of his life. ...more
Mari
This is a must read for helping anyone (child or adult) who wants to achieve higher performance -- in any area of your life. Craig Manning, a reputable sports psychologist, focuses on how we can all become mentally tough, gain self-confidence, overcome our insecurities, and ultimately gain a fearless mind. "All things being equal, the mentally tough will come out on top".
Melanie
High performers are task oriented instead of ego oriented.
Dwelling on past mistakes--GUILT--is not productive. Worrying about the future--FEAR--is also not productive.
5 steps to higher performance:
1. Be task oriented
2. Focus only on what you can control
3. Develop attentional control under pressure
4. Have confidence (believe you can do it)
5. Make good decisions
Joshua
Great read! Whether you are in sports, business, etc, this book gives great insight on how to deliver at high performance levels. A lot of examples were shown through the author's world (him being a tennis coach/player). I felt some things could've been mentioned in other ways but nonetheless, you can grasp the message and apply these principles right away.
Benjamin
It's a good book and has lots of interesting advice and ideas. Personally, I think it could have been even better if the author added a bit more depth to the explanation of some of the ideas. Also, certain things are brought up but never really shown. I would have loved to have a good sample page of the mental skills journal that is mentioned so many times.
Beca
Definitely a 5-Star Book for the performance-vital information contained within its pages. Could have been a little better edited (to improve flow), but if I take its lessons and apply them to all I pursue, I will have a much higher level of success than I otherwise would have. I feel very fortunate to have come across this book.
Amanda Elton
I know this guy and feel bad not giving it a really good review, but it read like I was reading his doctoral thesis. The ideas were great, but he needed to flesh it out differently.
Michele
Although the principles were there and what I was interested in pursuing there was way too much tennis analogy for someone who doesn't play or know the game.
Joshua Johnson
Great principles of leadership and excellence from Craig Manning. Worth the read, which is not something you can say about most books these days.
Jeannee
It tended to get a little repetitive - with the tennis application - I would have then liked more information on practical applications.
Cameron Baird
Great book about how to become an achiever. I really liked the theories in this book.
Katie
Life changing.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Rajesh Mahato
Rajesh Mahato marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Evan Clinger
Evan Clinger is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Ogden
Ogden marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Tanmay
Tanmay marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Mike Mcewan
Mike Mcewan marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Chris Haleua
Chris Haleua marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Laura Gerber
Laura Gerber marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014