Organizing the Disorganized Child

Organizing the Disorganized Child

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Organizing the Disorganized Child explains:

How to solve the messy-backpack problem (page 28).
Step-by-step tips to help your child improve study skills (page 96).
Which school supplies work best for different types of children (page 26).
Methods for note taking (page 99).
Techniques for time management (page 72).
Strategies to refine morning and nighttime routines that will hel...more
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperStudio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Organizing the Disorganized Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing the Disorganized Child

Great links, excellent specific product recommendations. I found the study skills and note taking sections to be particularly interesting.
Aaron Maurer
My Thoughts

I read this book looking for some simple and effective ideas to help my own child. I am a teacher at a middle school and therefore I have had these conversations with so many parents it is not even funny! Reading this book reminded me that we are teaching kids the right things with trying to get organized. The thing that stood out to me the most was that the authors were not trying to put into place one system. They had several ideas based on the type of child that you needed to work...more
Rebecca
Overall a good book with some ideas that make sense but that I hadn't thought of (post it note wallet for example). Very centered on the idea of guiding kids according to their innate organizational style (visual, spacial, chronological). "Some children are more likely to be on the fifty-year plan" strikes me as a bit pessimistic, but perhaps realistic given the number of unorganized adults in the world. The question is, is she saying that even with the ideas in the book, the lack of organizatio...more
Leigh
This is a good book of organizational strategies to use with children. It covers all the important points and strategies in a positive way. THere were a few aha! points in there for me, which is great since I've spent a lot of time professionally on this topic. It covers a wide age range too, so it'll grow with a family even if you get it for a kindergarten-aged child.

THe book categorizes children into 3 different "styles" and bases organizational strategies on the child's style. (It even has a...more
Tanya
Kids are not lazy, they are disorganized and were not born hard-wired to have study skills. Do listen to your child about what does not work for him or her and remember yelling and punishments do not teach skills. Keep it positive and keep calm.

The book helped to identify the child's learning style and gave some specific tips for organizing within that style as well as information about taking notes and test tips.

My daughter found this book helpful too and we have been implementing the chart wh...more
Kari
Some really great pointers, especially for a middle school child (having seen many of my students struggle with organization at that age). I'm implementing several ideas for the upcoming school year and hope they work.

I especially liked the author's viewpoint that some of these things are about spotting a child, much like a gymnast gets a spotter during a routine, while his or her brain continues to develop and mature. "Letting a child who has trouble completing a task 'sink' is about as fair an...more
Elizabeth
Absolutely terrific book filled with insights in to the disorganized child. I've spent so much time trying to organize my son but never paid attention to what would work for him. Simple things like whether he is a visual / spatial / chronological organizer and what is going to work best for him. The right backpack can make all the difference ! We've put several things in place and are already noticing a huge difference. It also made me realize that I've been compensating for my organizational st...more
Ruth
By "child", the author obviously meant middle school student. There is virtually nothing applicable to elementary age kids. The only thing I actually learned out of the book was the Cornell note taking method. Why aren't different methods of taking notes taught in sixth or seventh grade? I think knowing there are different methodologies to taking notes would help a lot of students. Not everyone learns the same way as their parents.
Bethany
This book had some good ideas, but nothing earth-shattering. The idea that everyone has a certain organizational "style" that should be coordinated with the correct backpack (no pockets, bright colors, or subdued!), the correct workspace (all supplies out, all supplies out away, matching supplies!) etc, felt a bit too teenybopper "whats your kissing style quiz" to me.
Kandace
My child moved from Elementary school to Middle school this year and I wish would have read this beforehand! Great suggestions and it even narrows down your childs organizational style. I learned a lot from this book. We have put many of the ideas in it into practice, and they work! I am ready for next year now, so we don't have to start the year out with tears.
Lisa Gibson
This book presented a wonderful way to learn which organizational method will work for your child. It had tons of great, very useful, simple and affordable tips to hopefully make your child's school life easier. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone.
Beth A.
This book had some good ideas about how to get organized, but it neglected the real issue, how to get your child to stay organized.

I think this could be a good resource, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
Jane
Jun 04, 2010 Jane is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
THis is a consise gem of a book about how kids relate to their environment and when they struggle ( like I do) to organize their thinking...I am getting some great ideas..
Charlene
Really great book with excellent ideas for different types of learners. Helpful for planning and understanding my sons frustration.
Zina
Good book with very practical suggestions. Worth looking through if you have a child with executive functioning issues.
Kathy
EXCELLENT! Gives a great deal of detail on different minds and how they need to be organized
Mary
Mar 26, 2010 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. Is the fact that I have misplaced this book an epic indicator of the problem or what?
Lillian Angelovic
Very helpful for parents of kids who are naturally incapable of organizing themselves!
Caroline
and by 'child' they mean 'The Schwieberts'.
Jenger
Jenger added it
Aug 19, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Meredith Greene
Meredith Greene is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
Neve Nova
Neve Nova marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Kim Ellsworth-evans
Kim Ellsworth-evans marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kids in the Syndrome Mix ADHD - Living Without Brakes Barn med överlappande diagnoser ADHD - Living Without Brakes [ADHD LIVING W/O BRAKES] Children with Seizures: A Guide for Parents, Teachers, and Other Professionals