The Other Mothers' Club: A Novel

The Other Mothers' Club: A Novel

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Eve has had it—she's no "wicked stepmonster" in the making. She absolutely adores Ian, the new man in her life, and she's more than willing to open her heart to his kids. But nothing she does is right in their eyes, and she just can't take it anymore.

At her wit's end, she decides it's time for stepmothers to stick together, so, with a little prodding from her best friend,...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Mothers' Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Mothers' Club

Colleen
I adored this book which I read as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewer Program. As someone who was lucky enough to win the stepmother lottery, I enjoyed reading a story from a perspective we rarely read about.

Eve fell in love with Ian, a widower, but is unprepared to cope with the challenges of living with his three children. She turns to her best friend Claire, a single mother with a teenager. Claire has Eve speak with her sister, Lily who is seeing someone with a young daughter. Next thing y...more
Alexandra
This was one of those books that I was drawn to primarily by the cover, but I also thought the synopsis sounded cool too. Then I started reading, wasn't impressed & didn't really get into until almost midway through it. But when I got into it, I REALLY got into it and couldn't put it down.
Okay, that's a lie. I could. But I picked it up very quickly every chance I got :P
I had kind of mixed feelings about this one because some of the characters were very underdeveloped and two dimensional. It...more
Ruth
Eve and Clare have been friends since University. Clare attended university with a toddler in tow and Eve adores the now teen-ager. She is her "almost godmother". Eve has seen how hard it is to have a child and has been determined to have a different life from Clare. Years later Eve falls for Ian, who happens to have a wife who died from cancer and three children to boot. Life is about to change for Eve. Clare decides that since her sister Lily is living with a man, who also has a child they sho...more
Stephanie
For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. It was a good story with interesting characters, and it wasn't predictable. Nearly everything was totally believable, and I could understand the characters' reactions -- especially Clare's story.

However!

Let's start with my smaller complaint: the overabundance of characters. Some of them were so throwaway that I don't know what they were doing in there at all (Lily and Mandy? Who the hell are they? I still don't really know). Then the fact that all w...more
Valerie
My Mom handed me this book, she hadn't read it but thought I might be interested, having to be a stepmom and the challenges that presents. I put off reading for over a year. I have to say it was a little hard to get into. If you are stepmom I think the situations are always so different, you are hesitant to want to think about it at all and feel there is no one who has as similar situation as you. Well, i pushed onward, and found the book got more engaging, simply to follow different women and t...more
Rachel
Apr 22, 2012 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I needed something light to read to relax during a hectic time of the year in the office, so I picked up this book that was lent to me by a colleague. Being a child of divorced parents, and having a stepmother myself, I thought it'd be interesting to read a chick lit book about a group of women who develop a support group for stepmothers.

Women looking for a book that isn't too heavy but fun to read will enjoy the debut novel by Baker. I'll admit that some of the storylines of the various charact...more
Erin
Dec 02, 2010 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: stepmothers or potential stepmothers
I enjoyed reading a novel where the main characters were all struggling with variations of step-parenting, although none of the women's stories matched my situation. I think this would make a good book club selection because I really wanted to discuss it with someone when I finished. (I did not agree with some choices some of the characters made, and it would have been fun to get other readers' perspectives and opinions.)

The premise of the book is that Eve is in a relationship with Ian and is me...more
Meg
Samantha Baker’s The Other Mothers’ Club was an entertaining, often poignant look at what it means to form a family, create new friendships, become a parental figure (even when skeptical) and form attachments where you didn’t think possible. If you can get past the approximately 1,000 characters in this story -- perhaps by drawing a map, as I contemplated -- it’s an enjoyable read.

Set in present-day London, Baker’s characters are all incredibly different women with one thing in common: a stepmot...more
Regina Spiker
Eve has a new man in her life, a widower, but what she is afraid of, is meeting his three children. Clare is a single mom, raising a daughter whose Dad has suddenly decided to drop into her life. Lily, Clare's sister, and Liam are trying to raise Rosie, with tons of interference from Liam's ex. Mandy is a stay-at-home mom trying to balance the demands of her children and stepchildren. Melanie has wonderful man in her life, but has not met his daughter yet. Meet these women, who decide to start t...more
Chanpreet
I enjoyed this book a bit more than I thought I would. I have no real experience with step families other than some family friends. I've seen how they struggle, but how it has worked out for them. There were a few characters I was more interested in, like Eve, Clare, and Melanie. But I must say there wasn't a lot of high drama or unexpected things. There were one or two things that happened that through me for a loop. This is my first book by Samantha Baker. I know it won't be my last because I...more
Patti
A group of women, who are dating/living with/sleeping with guys with kids, get together to discuss the problems with their "step-children." Except for the person who conceived the idea, who doesn't have step-children.

I found that the story had too many women for me to keep straight. Did there really need to be a Melanie and a Mandy? It seemed like Mandy was added at the last second just to give a voice to someone with a blended family. I didn't think there was enough of her story told.

The book s...more
Mercedes
A wonderful tribute to stepmom, stepmoms to be, single moms, and how human dynamics play a role in making a family works. Many laughs, a good cry or too and some hmmms and yes that is true when reading this novel.
Denise
I enjoyed this book as a light read. I grew interested in the various charters and thought the author did a good job with balance and details. Each of them had a slightly different situation which added to the interest. I always enjoy british books written for british readers, the cultural references add to the challenge. I actually enjoy looking up the various names that are dropped from british politics or television that are I am not familiar with!
Charlotte

I stumbled across The Other Mothers' Club at the library and I am really glad I did. The book is a well written British Chick Lit novel. The characters and their situations are realistically written. I even got leaky eyes towards the end of the novel, but the ending was one that I could live with. Overall, a great novel.
Diane Drennan Pavia
I liked the honest portrayal of different kinds of stepmoms and how they feel about and deal with the situations they are faced with. The plot was a little closer to my own experience than I anticipated (or would have liked!), and things get tied up a little too neatly for my taste, but if you want 100% realistic, don't read fiction! Overall it was a good read.
Sasha Strader
Jul 05, 2010 Sasha Strader rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cathy, Brittany
Recommended to Sasha by: Librarything
Shelves: re-read
I have to say that I absolutely loved this book. Baker didn't tiptoe around the issues, but she didn't turn the book into a dreary recitation of all the many wrongs (perceived and real) of blended families. The full gamut of human emotions encapsulated in a few hundred pages. Bravo, Baker. I'll be keeping an eye out for you in the future.
Beth
Very chick-lit. Dragged on a bit. As a stepmother, I found myself thinking, "oh God no" at a few bits, just because even I found it a bit unrealistic. Dropped one character seemingly all together somewhere in the middle of the book, only to really bring her back in the epilogue.
Tiffanie
pretty good book. lots of things going on in lots of different people's lives, hard to keep up with at first but once you get started you can keep track of who's who an whats their place in the story.
was glad to see it had a happy ending = ]
Anthea
Overall a really good story line I love the idea of a group of women dealing with their step parenting together. I really liked but that teenage daughter drove me up the wall I wanted to get into the book and scream at her.
Rachel
I loved this book. I think that anyone who has, knows, is or could someday be a stepmother should read this. It's also a great story about friendship.
Donna Ziegler
Typical group novel. Four women gather together for support in dealing with the problems involved in being a stepmother.
Jen
Definitely a pool/beach read....
EH. Found a lot of inconsistencies in the writing. Was there even an editor?
Ashley Bedford
Fantastic. I really felt like somebody GOT me. Would totally join an "other mothers' club" if one was available to me!!
nora
fantastic book about relationships of stepmothers. i never thought of it this way, well written.
Marisa
Meh...I couldn't really relate to this book, but it did cause me to produce tears at least once.
Jacqueline Yorke-westcott
An excellent read. Fans of the Trollope style "Aga Saga" will love this book.
Kelly
Sep 22, 2010 Kelly added it
saw this in the library, looks good. it ended being only not bad.
Elissa Meyers
Being a fellow "other mother" I liked this book a whole lot =)
Kim
Couldn't get past pg. 15
Short Trips: The Centenarian (Doctor Who Short Trips Anthology Series) Doctor Who Short Trips: The History of Christmas Short Trips: Monsters (Doctor Who Short Trips Anthology Series) Short Trips: Past Tense (Doctor Who Short Trips Anthology Series)