Start by marking “Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy #4)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  177,149 ratings  ·  6,768 reviews
The recent Strigoi attack at St Vladimir's Academy was the deadliest ever in the school's history, claiming the lives of Moroi students, teachers and guardians alike.

Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them...including Dimitri.

He'd rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa - the one she has sworn to protect no matt
Published February 4th 2010 by Penguin (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Promise

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
I Had No Idea This Book Would Be So Good
21st out of 904 books — 938 voters
Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadVampire Academy by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle Mead
Best Supernatural Books
2nd out of 94 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Jazzy
Tatiana
Mar 30, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore VA fans
"Shadow Kiss" left us with Rose on the way to find and kill her beloved Dimitri who had fallen during a fight with Strigoi. "Blood Promise" picks up where Rose is in Moscow, looking for traces of Dimitri. Needless to say, she finds him, but I will not go into any more detail to avoid spoilers.

I hate to say it, but I am fairly disappointment by this book. In my opinion, it is so far the weakest in the series. It is by no means the worst book ever written, but the fact that Richelle Mead didn't p
Carlita
The Holy Terror
*3.5 Stars*
The main reason I'm rating this one lower than the previous three? The first 300 pages were BORING. (-1 star) This book could almost have started on page 300 and still have been great. I understand the need for back story, but I was frustrated and annoyed at how much I had to slog through to get to the main story of the book. Setting the stage is one thing, dragging things out to artificially create tension and mood is another. I rounded up to 4 stars because I was genuinely surprised
Heather
Mead has blown my mind. I'm riddled with angst and a bit pissed off actually. Blood Promise is nothing like the previous VA books and she has murdered her characters, with the exception of Adrian, which is the only reason I gave this book 2 stars instead of one.

First of all, the first few chapters are filled with inconsistencies, not to mention new characters and societies that serve no other purpose than to aid Rose on her quest and to allow Mead to include secondary characters such as Lissa an
Stacia (the 2010 club)
The time has come. It doesn't matter that I read this book forever and a day ago. Blood Promise deserves a review - one that I wrongfully neglected to give at the time of finishing. The 5 star rating at the top says nothing about why I loved this book back then, nor does it say why I still think about this story even now. I doubt I'll ever go back and write reviews for the rest of the series but this book...it's in my soul. Don't expect one of my normal polished reviews. I just wanted to finally ...more
Liz
First half of the book:

Rose has to go a hard way full of stones and death and pain. She meets Sydney and Dimitri's family and gets to know his world. Rose is ready to do anything to find and to kill him.

And finally, she finds him...
Second half of the book:

Dimitri as a Strigoi. A very very evil version of Dimitri. A passionated one, but still evil. He is brutal, he is merciless. He is completely different from the Dimitri we know.
And the relationship between him and Rose changes completely. E
LMM
So 1st I have to say that I love Mead. But this book was only OK to Good for me which I guess was a disappointment. I think she could have & has done much better. To summarize, I didn't feel as emotionally connected to the characters & I expected to be, esp after the last book. But also - I think structurally, the book was too condensed & didn't have to be.

OK so here I go, SPOILERS for VA #4 - BLOOD PROMISE BELOW:

I felt there was far too much recap of the previous 3 books. Literally
Kat Kennedy
If I had to give the first 3/4 of this book a review, I would have given it two stars at the most.

The plot was painfully, agonizingly slow with many, many unnecessary characters and plotlines that just bugged the hell out of me. I found myself skipping large portions of text to get to anything worth reading.

The last quarter of this book however, earned that last two stars. It was intense, amazing, beautiful. I almost cried. I wanted to cry. What happened at the end... on the bridge... well bugge
Kristi
Three words; i'm just going to do one this time. Amazing.

I love this series. Plain and simple. I've been a fan since the beginning and I can't helped but get sucked in every time. This is my favorite vampire series. Heck, it's one of my most favorites, vampire or not.

The plot is fantastic, action packed, twists and turns galore. The characters are right on, they continue to grow and develop, become even more dimensional as the series continues. The writing is amazing. I just absolutely enjoyed r
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Janina
Hmm. I was a little bit disappointed by this fourth installment of the VA series. I haven't been all ecstatic about the first three books either, but I definitely enjoyed reading them.
But with this one, I was actually contemplating giving up on the series altogether after the first 100 pages because it was painfully slow and uneventful. The first half of this book only consisted of a) retelling what happened previously, b) Rose talking about how great Dimitri was or c) Rose recalling all the gre
DemonKitty003
I want to read this book!!!!!! God if she has to kill Dimitri I am so going to...I don't know what I'll do but I am so going to do something if he dies!!!! UGH!!! I want to know what is going to happen so badly!!!!!
Lucy
Raiatea
Hey.
I have a theroy. PLEASE DONT 'SPOILERIZE' IT!!!!!!!!!
I think its pretty good. Here it is.
(Sorry its all in Caps!)
DIMIRTI HAS LEFT. HES IN RUSSIA(already known from Richelle).SHES ALMOST THERE. THEN SHE COMES ACCROSS ADRIAN, LISSA AND CHIRSTIAN AND EDDIE. OF COURSE THERE GOING TO TRY TO GET HER BACK. ONLY ADRIAN AND LISSA KNOW ABOUT DIMITRI AND ROSE STILL. SOMEHOW ROSE GETS THEM TO STAY. THEY FIND DIMITRI AND ABOUT 10 OTHER STRIGOI. ROSE TAKES DOWN 3 BUT THEN GET HIT AND ALMOST DIES. DIMITRI
Imee Andrea
Dec 18, 2008 Imee Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
....i cant wait for this book to come out. I"m dying to know if whom will Rose end up with... will it be Adrian or Dmitri... Is Dmitri a Strigoi now or was just kept prisoner... If he's A Strigoi, will Rose be able to kill him... or him kill her?...
Teamedward4evr
Brenna
"Worry about staying alive first. Then worry about how you're going to live."

It's getting harder and harder to review books in this series! So much happens in each one! There would be spoilers galore if I tried to delve too deeply into the plot of Blood Promise.

Book #3 ended with a pretty HUGE cliffhanger that had me begging and pleading wouldn't be real. I considered every scenario to rationalize that that one thing did not just happen! But... it did. *sigh* Pretty much all I can tell you wit
Booknut
You have got to love a series which finds new ways to emotional destroy you with every book.

First, it was the star-crossed love shipwreck.
Moving on, we're given the Sixth Sense-like experience.
Then, it was the crap-tastic apocalypse episode of My Boyfriend's The Living Dead What The Hell Do I Do?

And now, it's the super-duper swell cliffhanger which goes along the lines of people who are meant to be dead never, ever stay dead.

Why? I mean...just die already!
Not that I want him dead.
No I don't.
And
♔ Leah.
Oh Blood Promise, how I loathe thee... let me count the ways…

Now in my opinion, Shadow Kiss was probably the strongest book in the whole series. Yes, I hated Rose in that and Dimitri too; but in terms of momentum, taking the plot onto a whole new level, the level of action as well as development of some of the characters, which happen to be the ones I like, all made up for her and his fuckery.

However, this book was a hot mess; it wasn’t totally bad— there were some good points but this book wa
Ronda
From previous books, we all know by now that I think Richelle Mead is an amazing author, a Goddess of writing and toying with one's emotions, simply fantastic!!!!

What do I think of Rose, however, that is a question I had to find an answer to, not only what I thought of Rose, but Dimitri and Adrian... Characters that I simply cannot get enough of and characters that are having an impact on me everytime I see their name!!!

Rose, I love her! No other words for it, I adore her, admire her and I've cr
Miyong
Gillian
I KNEW IT

I KNEW IT

BUT ALSO

ASDJKLUFRTFGFKHSLFKSJF

okay where is Spirit Bound where the fuck are you book come here

no need to stop now

My whole life is Vampire Academy. I am a Vampire Academy blood whore. Addicted to the endorphins. In a blood whore haze.

Also, Adrian is flawless.
Jen
Fantastic book. I am so excited to read the next in the series, which I didn't think would happen, as I wasn't sure what could possibly happen after Blood Promise. I read this in one sitting, not able to get up. The writing and characters get better and better, more likeable, and I don't want to give anything away, but the story is heartbreaking, funny, full of twists and completely captivating.
(I got this early by ordering from the book depository for the curious!)
Yvette
***PUEDE CONTENER SPOILERS***

Los últimos capítulos...
description

Este libro en cada capítulo que leía estaba así: description

Yo... no... tengo... No sé, no sé, fue INCREÍBLE.

Al principio me pareció ligero, y algo aburrido, hasta me llegue a aburrir, me entre en un nuevo mundo: Los Alquimistas, espero saber luego más sobre ellos.

El cambio de cada personaje fue demasiado... description

ME ENCANTO. Ver cómo cada personaje cambiaba mediante los capítulos, hasta me encanto ver a Rose tan estúpida, y puta de sangre, al ver a Lissa tan
Heather
Each book of this series gets better and better. Blood Promise was an excellent read and I absolutely loved it. I'm happy to note, I wasn't disappointed with anything that unfolded. I can't believe we have to wait until next May for book 5. It feels like an eternity away...sigh. I guess I'll have to manage until then. HA!

***Caution- below may contain some spoilers, so don't read further if you haven't read the book. This review is more on my feelings on how the plot in Blood Promise unfolded:**
Carmaletta Hilton
Sofia
Michelle
Wow.

THAT ENDING THOUGH. This book was not how I envisioned it to turn out.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, this time with true confidence in my words; Richelle Mead's writing is improving with each and every book in the series, and you would have to be truly oblivious not to notice.

I have to admit, the beginning was fairly slow, but it was understandable, due to the fact Richelle took time to introduce us to Rose's new surroundings and give us a 'feel' of how she's living. Halfway t
Carolyn (Book Chick City)

**warning - may contain spoilers**

Wow! This book is amazing! I read it so quickly (well, for me anyway), I honestly couldn't put it down I was so absorbed in the story. 'Blood Promise' is a total rollar-coaster ride and I loved every minute of it.

After my small annoyance with Rose and Lissa in 'Shadow Kiss', 'Blood Promise' bounces back and gives me everything I wanted from the characters and from the story itself. This is by far the most exciting instalment in the series so far. It really is th
We ♥ YA Books! : Series Readalong #7: Blood Promise by Richelle Mead 3 10 Nov 20, 2014 04:31AM
The Wide Web of F...: Blood Promise 7 44 Nov 14, 2014 06:15PM
Team Adrian or Team Dimitri 182 468 Nov 04, 2014 04:55AM
Do you think it was creepy that dimitri kidnapped rose or cute? 209 783 Oct 22, 2014 02:41PM
do you think vampire acadamy is better then twilight??? 188 513 Oct 21, 2014 04:56PM
Dimitri and Rose. 7514 2251 Oct 10, 2014 08:15PM
sexiest of the sexy! game time! 25 62 Oct 08, 2014 10:12AM
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • Hourglass (Evernight, #3)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4)
  • Burned (House of Night, #7)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f
More about Richelle Mead...
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)

“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.” 4616 likes
“I know how devastated you must be to miss me, but leave a message, and I'll try to ease your agony” 2482 likes