Start by marking “The Phantom of the Opera” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  139,247 Ratings  ·  3,971 Reviews
First published in French as a serial in 1909, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a riveting story that revolves around the young, Swedish Christine Daaé. Her father, a famous musician, dies, and she is raised in the Paris Opera House with his dying promise of a protective angel of music to guide her. After a time at the opera house, she begins hearing a voice, who eventually t ...more
ebook
Published April 21st 2010 by Ebookslib (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom of the Opera, please sign up.

Kam G. Salgueiro
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren Well, not really. I happen to really like the name Erik. But that's just my opinion.

Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
{BR with the lovely british lady Hayat}

3.5 Le Fantôme Stars

photo il_fullxfull.426017157_hqna_zps1ckupriw.jpg

photo tumblr_mij7hbLnWT1rojuj3o1_500_zpsacwgbxaz.gif

One of my New Year's resolutions is to read more classics. The Phantom of the Opera is a novel I've been meaning to read for a long time. If I was forced to choose a favorite musical, I would probably choose The Phantom. First time I saw it was with my mom, almost 10 years ago. I instantly fell in love with the
Emily May
May 17, 2015 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't view Wuthering Heights as a romance (and maybe those who do ^_^)
Shelves: classics, 2014, favourites
Persons who are visited by the Angel quiver with a thrill unknown to the rest of mankind. And they cannot touch an instrument or open their mouths to sing, without producing sounds that put all other human sounds to shame.

Erik, AKA The Phantom of the Opera, is Paris's answer to Heathcliff. This book is a darkly romantic tale of a man's descent into violence and madness, and the woman who forms the obsession at the centre of his life.

I should probably confess: I am a shameless lover of The Ph
Pramod Nair
Nov 02, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery, horror
“And, despite the care which she took to look behind her at every moment, she failed to see a shadow which followed her like her own shadow, which stopped when she stopped, which started again when she did and which made no more noise than a well-conducted shadow should.”

Gaston Leroux - who popularized an entire sub-genre of detective fiction called ‘locked room mystery’ through his works like 'The Mystery of the Yellow Room' and his fictional amateur sleuth, Joseph Rouletabille - is most renow
Madeline
Carol
Dec 12, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is a fantastic ghostly tale of love with so much more depth (and evil) to the storyline than I remember from either the play or "old" movie.

Be prepared for murder by hanging, frequent cries of terror from malicious "accidents", and suicide for just a smidgeon of what will "materialize". But, it's the mysterious Opera Ghost who lurks in the shadows using tricks and illusions to work his many evils behind a mask of horror and smell of death that will grab your attention th

TheKBSeries
Dec 30, 2008 TheKBSeries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life...I'm so not kidding. I saw the play years before I decided to read this book. I'm so sorry that I waited so long because it was fantastic! I plan to re-read it again! It has everything in it! It's scary, creepy, romantic, sweet, sexy, dark, sad, depressing, etc. This is the third book on my list that I would recommend to anyone that i meet! (having harry potter and the twilight series at number one and two spots. haha)

W A R N I N G *MAY be a spoiler in this next parag
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Category: A 20th Century Classic

I am by no means a Phantom of the Opera aficionado. Despite the fact that I am a fan of Gerard Butler I still have yet to watch a single screen adaptation of Leroux’s classic. The closest I have come to same is Operetta from ‘Monster High’, to be entirely honest. Love this ghoul:

I am entirely aware of my own failings and quite frankly, I simply don’t give a damn. One day I will watch Gerard Butler as “Erik” but like so many things in life I have no idea when.

Any
Vane J.
Aug 07, 2015 Vane J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“If I am the phantom, it is because man’s hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me.”

I believe everyone has at least heard about The Phantom of the Opera. If not for the book itself, then it may be because of the movies. I knew it was a book, and I knew there were movies, but I’ve never watched any of them, and the book I read until now.

In any case, if you’ve heard about this story, then you know it’s a tragic one – and indeed, it is.

Henry Avila
Jun 28, 2014 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorelli, a principal dancer in the beautiful, new, and fabulous Paris Opera House ( circa 1880), is angry, her dressing - room has been invaded, by half a dozen hysterical young ladies, ballet dancers. The frightened performers have seen the legendary Phantom (Ghost), claiming to have noticed a very ugly man, but well dressed, in the passageway. The superstitious but brave woman, opens the door quiet slowly and takes a peek. The shadowy, in gaslight, reddish walls, give a strange ambiance, but t ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Well, that was melodramatic.

Because I quit a book last week, I forced myself to finish this one. I can finish anything on audio, thought I. I am not a quitter, thought I. But after struggling to focus on this and backtracking 2 hours because I realized I had been daydreaming the entire time, I have come to the realization that the DNF review is not so bad a thing.

This read was torturous. I finished it but did not have a good time.

“You don’t love me. But you will.”

Sorry Erik but no. No I won’t.
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Side read with the non-crunchy classics crew!

Interesting to see that this was only published around 10 years after Dracula. Loooooove the Gothic vibe that runs between both novels, and again, as with Dracula, I think the wording of the time period is what dulls the story here. I've mentioned in previous posts how my original read of this book (in high school) was really due to an infatuation with the musical adaptation, and thus I was rather disappointed that it wasn't more of a love story, as t
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
DID NOT FINISH @ 73%

What a melodramatic book this is. Lots of swooning, lots of proclamations of love, and lots of unnecessary details that do not add anything to the plot.

'Tis where me and the ghost of the opera part ways for good. I will probably never know the original reasons as to why Erik - the ghost, the genius and the mad came to be what he is in the first place. I don't think I care much to find out either way.

All the care in the world you can give me and it will still be not enough for
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I'm not a fan of musicals... at all. I've never seen a play besides a childhood production of the Velveteen Rabbit, which hardly counts. Despite this, I've always wanted to see a live production of 'Phantom of the opera.' What is it about the story and atmosphere that draws so many in? I've seen movies - the musical drama (not my thing), the Robert Englund horror version (sorr
Fabian
Jun 23, 2016 Fabian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, marvelous, phantasmagorical (ha!) PERFECTION. This is a true House of Horrors, perhaps the best one ever orchestrated (discounting Poe). The prose is so simple, so readable, that the barest of essentials are there, in all their power and glory: the haunted house, the victim/lover, the victimizer/lover, the clandestine meetings, the haunted past, the switch-over of protagonists, the uncertainty caused by an elegant overflow of optical illusions, the Victorian conventions all intended t ...more
Chris_P
Poor, unhappy Erik! Shall we pity him? Shall we curse him? He asked only to be “some one,” like everybody else. But he was too ugly! And he had to hide his genius or use it to play tricks with, when, with an ordinary face, he would have been one of the most distinguished of mankind! He had a heart that could have held the empire of the world; and, in the end, he had to content himself with a cellar. Ah, yes, we must needs pity the Opera ghost.

If someone asks "what is dark romance?" tell them t
Jonathan

While I was in New York City, living it up on 7th and 27th, I decided that I would go see a musical, with friends, on Broadway. However, being the 'buy-first-think-later' student that I am, most of the musicals were out of my price range. The suitcase load of cheaper comics and novels had something to do with this. However, I did have enough cash to go with two of the ladies on the trip and get tickets to The Phantom of the Opera with Peter Jöback staring as the eponymous character. We all dress
Gemma
"Masterpiece" doesn't cut it. It's a work of art. To be honest, I didn't even know this was a book until I found it in the library, but now it's one of my favorites (let's put it this way -- I read it in one day). I love Gothic novels, but this one tops everything I've ever read. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I have no idea what people mean when they say it's hard to read. The characterizations are so vivid, it was like being sucked into the pages. From the follies of the opera managers, ...more
Liz
Mar 28, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone

The story takes place in the Parisian opera house and the famous Phantom lives somewhere in its undergrounds.
Mysterious and music-loving, he even has a private lounge.
One of the chorus girls, Christine, lost her father who always told her about the Angel of Music and once, she hears this angel singing and follows him through a hidden door in his dark empire.

From this moment on the Angel of Music teaches her and Christine improves her singing until she is a well known and treasured singer.
Tatiana Arutyunova
Apatt
Oct 31, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
“No more talk of darkness. Forget these wide-eyed fears. I'm here, nothing can harm you. My words will warm you and calm you...”

OK OK, I won't go there, no Andrew Lloyd Wibbly in this review. The Phantom of the Opera seems to have joined the rank of books that few people bother to read because too many people assume they already know the entire story. There is a lot more to the novel than a crazy guy with half a mask abducting a girl just to give her some free singing lessons. I mean who does
Amanda
Sep 11, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: I saw the play - it was incredible
This book was surprisingly good... a surprise because most books written around this time (I believe this was written in 1909) seem to be very boring and/or difficult to read. I have seen the play (and loved it) and was always curious about the original novel, which, I'll say right now, is definitely worth reading. Very captivating and suspenseful and emotion-invoking. My only real complaint is on the character of Raoul who is often described as what I would call a "weenie" - crying alot and ful ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is another book that has been lingering around with a bookmark sticking out of it since October. It's not that it's a hard read - on the contrary, for an "old" book, it's incredibly readable. I don't know who did this translation or whether that has anything to do with it, but it is easy to read. But to be honest, it lacks something. It's just not as dramatic as the musical, though it has its moments.

I've never seen the musical, sadly; I've only the seen the most recent movie version - whi
Evelina
Oct 28, 2015 Evelina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Νόμιζα ότι θα το λάτρευα αυτό το βιβλίο,όμως όοοοχι! Η γραφή του Leroux δεν έδενε,πήγαινε από τον αόραστο και τη βαρεμάρα στον ενεστώτα και την εγρήγορση χωρίς λόγο. Οι χαρακτήρες όλοι αντιπαθητικοί,κυρίως ο Ραούλ που ήθελα να του χώσω κάτι στο στόμα για να σταματήσει να μιλάει και να κάνει σα μυξιάρικο. Δεν μου προκάλεσε ανατριχίλα,δεν έζησα στην όπερα,δε ράγισε η καρδιά μου για τον αγνό έρωτα των δύο νέων ούτε για το δράμα του Ερίκ,που έκανε σαν ανώριμο παιδάκι, Γενικά,ΔΕΝ.
2/5 μόνο για το υπερ
Sophia Sardothien
Growing up with this classic seeing the play, movie, annotated book (the ones with a bunch of guiding questions) and comic. Ever since I was young I’ve grown an undeniable love for the phantom of opera - Erik.

In all versions, the story was told in a third person. However, I was hoping that in this book, I could empathise more with the characters. But in this case I felt rather distant with them. As I was forced to read from a lot of useless perspectives, which kept the pacing extremely slow.

The
Beatrice Masaluñga
I've watched the musicale years ago and I loved it. I decided to give this one a try as an audio book since it's short and I want to read at least one classic novel per year. I just find this an okay book. The prose isn't my cup of tea and the narrator almost bored me to death. Some parts are unnecessary and I just couldn't connect with the characters.

I guess It's not for me.. I think I'll just go with the musicale version.
Steve

The Phantom of the Opera is almost universally acclaimed as a classic Gothic horror story, and I’ve often heard that it rivals Dracula or Frankenstein. There is no denying the influence of this book, and Leroux deserves a great deal of credit for creating an incredible plot. Conceptually, it is a perfect storm of Gothic nightmares: the ancient, labyrinthine opera house; the many colorful characters that make the beautiful Paris Opera House the center of their lives; a love triangle in w
Rebecca McNutt
THIS PLAY IS AMAZING!

When you drill it down, it's a chilling paranormal tale with an element of friendship, a classic and a beautiful book altogether. I loved it and I'd recommend it to anyone. :)
Anastasia シ
The movie was really good
Yamini
For the most part, I thought this novel was good. But I had so many little issues with it that I can’t say it was a great read as a whole. I know the adaptations done are considerably more enjoyable so I look forward to those, but the novel was at times a hit and miss for me.

I didn’t understand the characterization of Erik. I was confused at every other chapter whether we were supposed to sympathize, pity, or loathe him. I generally just thought he was an asshole but the way Christine treats him
Chrysann
May 30, 2012 Chrysann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many things I could say about this book, and most of them aren't good. There was literally ONE thing I actually enjoyed.

Leroux presents the "strange affair" of the Phantom to us as if it were fact. Normally that wouldn't bother me too much, but it is continually insisted upon until you want to shout that there is no way it is at all possible and to kindly take your insanity elsewhere in case it's catching.

The plot is convoluted at best and constantly bounces between the main action
Erik or Heathcliff? 25 115 Jun 14, 2016 02:54AM
She should have chosen the phantom 185 942 Jun 09, 2016 12:08AM
Around the Year i...: The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux 3 13 Jun 08, 2016 04:27PM
Bright Young Things: May 2016 group read- Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux 29 18 May 24, 2016 05:29PM
Who is the best Christine, the best Raoul and the best Phantom? Opinions? 58 147 May 23, 2016 05:46PM
Reading the Classics: The Phantom of The Opera 30 239 Mar 29, 2016 10:35AM
  • Tales of Mystery and Imagination
  • The Mysteries of Udolpho
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.3)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Graphic Novel)
  • Les Liaisons dangereuses
  • The House of the Vampire
  • La Morte Amoureuse
Gaston Louis Alfred Leroux was a French journalist and author of detective fiction.

In the English-speaking world, he is best known for writing the novel The Phantom of the Opera (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, 1910), which has been made into several film and stage productions of the same name, such as the 1925 film starring Lon Chaney, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical. It was also the basis of the 1
More about Gaston Leroux...

“If I am the phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me.” 438 likes
“Erik is not truly dead. He lives on within the souls of those who choose to listen to the music of the night.” 371 likes