Start by marking “The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman” as Want to Read:
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

Tristram Shandy is one of English literature's most curious, complex and comic novels. Here, cleverly recreated in the distinctive, anarchic style of cartoonist and illustrator Martin Rowson, Tristram travels with his faithful companion Pete through the torturous paths of the infinitely digressive world of Laurence Sterne's eccentric masterpiece. Rowson provides a wickedly ...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Overlook Books (first published 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

George Marshall
Aug 16, 2010 George Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martin Rowson's graphic novel version of Tristram Shandy is not just an excellent adaptation of the book, it is a landmark comic masterpiece in its own right. He includes large swathes of Sterne's original but, inspired by the diversionary style of the original, he keeps breaking off for an ironic and often sarcastic parallel commentary that savagely lampoons the the pretensions of academic theorists...I am sure that Sterne would have approved.

This is all thoroughly entertaining, but it is the a
Jan 21, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
This is an insane book. Its a pretty stunning volume.

I can't say that I enjoyed it as much as I think I should have. The narrative is all over the place and Rowson uses so many interesting framing devices. The art is consistently brilliant.

I'll have to reread this one in the near future. I know there's so much more to it that my tired brain didn't digest today. I'm looking forward to reading Rowson's adaption of Gulliver's Travels (a story I should be able to more easily comprehend and appreci
Jul 25, 2009 Purva rated it really liked it
okay not many would probably agree...but this one is funnny..its experimental with form,style and what not...and its exceptional for recognizing someone as 'common' as the lovable uncle toby and turning him into the unconventional hero..and remarkably sterne doesnt do it with pages of didactic merits of revamping the concept of a 'hero'(which ofcourse needs to be reexamined),instead he does it with humour..great stuff also considering the age in which sterne was writing..
Jan 26, 2016 Manushi rated it really liked it
Rowson's graphic novel of Sterne's '' Cock and Bull '' story did not disappoint.

It is a wicked interpretation, that perfectly captures Strene's bawdy humor, and the essence of the slightly unhinged opinionist Tristram Shandy, as he navigates through life.

The art work is outstanding and is a brilliant product of a serious labour of love.

This is a superior, innovative adaptation of the classic.
Sep 12, 2014 Artguy rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Unique, different adaptation of the classic farce. I usually like the things that are unexpected, but this served to be a bit too difficult to follow and, at the risk of sounding namby-pamby, too grotesque. Maybe it was just my mood.
Iñaki Tofiño
Oct 26, 2015 Iñaki Tofiño rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ininteligible, pero sencillamente magnífico.
Una adaptación maravillosa y un libro que es una verdadera obra de arte.
Fiona T
Mar 10, 2014 Fiona T rated it really liked it
Excellent rendering of the original, and the illustrations are fantastic. Obviously created by a Sterne admirer.
Apr 05, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok
I have no idea what i just read, the art was great but what was going on wasn't and i don't really care to know either.
Brendan Murphy
Dec 23, 2014 Brendan Murphy rated it it was amazing
Teresa added it
Oct 12, 2016
Ben Krots
Ben Krots marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Alebriand rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Penguinclaw marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Alain added it
Jul 07, 2016
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Byronic marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Carolina marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Christian marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Ziki is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2016
Lukasz marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Bri Neves
Bri Neves marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Mariah marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Stefan Clark
Stefan Clark rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Stefan Ghiran
Stefan Ghiran marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Dragenus rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Samsa Perez
Samsa Perez rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Baptised as Martin George Edmund Rowson. Who's Who lists his interests as "cooking, drinking, ranting, atheism, zoos, collecting taxidermy".
More about Martin Rowson...