Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The buzz on beekeeping.

The Complete Idiot's Guide(r) to Beekeeping has all the information a beginning beekeeper needs to know to start a hive and keep it buzzing. Expert beekeepers Dean Stiglitz and Laurie Herboldsheimer, owners of Golden Rule Honey, take readers step by step through the entire process-from information on the inhabitants of a hive and how it works to co
Published May 4th 2010 by Alpha (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping

Doug Orleans
Jun 06, 2010 Doug Orleans rated it really liked it
My musician friends Dean and Ramona (aka Laurie) got into beekeeping a few years ago. Then they got REALLY into beekeeping, starting a business selling their honey and honey products (Golden Rule Honey, at http://beeuntoothers.com/). Then they got approached to write a book about beekeeping... not just any book, but the Complete Idiot's Guide! Very exciting, and they did a great job.

It's not just an instruction manual: they have a not-so-hidden agenda, which is to promote treatment-free beekeepi
Amber
Apr 13, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! After reading it I feel totally confident in taking care of my bees. I read through the section about lighting the smoker and installing package bees right before I did mine and everything went totally smoothly. Especially helpful: the tip not to drop the queen cage into the swirling mass of bees. Hahahahaha.

The way the book is broken down makes everything easy to find. You don't have to read through giant paragraph blocks of text to get to the heart of what the authors ar
Mark
Feb 27, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I've thought about beekeeping for a few years and when I found an old, 1920's honey extractor for sale I bought it. Without bees, of course, it is not much use. I know nothing about beekeeping. Stiglitz's book is a great book for people like me. The book is not just about honey extraction. In fact, most of the book is not about the product of honey, but about the animal itself: the bee.

This book offers the "complete idiot" solid information about natural beekeeping. Based on the premise that bee
Jill
Jun 17, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
In some ways it was more detailed and instructive than other books. The authors are definitely advocating for a natural approach to beekeeping that goes beyond what most small (even organic) beekeepers do. Because of the lack of other resources to consult to implement "their" beekeeping methods, the authors needed to be extra detailed in describing how to implement the techniques they are advocating, such as no treatments, reverting to small cell, and using only local,genetically diverse queens. ...more
Alex
Sep 08, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
A really great book, but mostly if you are in the process of actually getting a hive or needing help troubleshooting any issues. The first third was very great background on bees, and then it seemed to move to "if this happens, here's what you do" which makes it more into a step-by-step manual.
Very well written and easy to understand, though.
Julie
Jul 17, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good source of reference for treatment-free beekeeping on any level. I would prefer to have more sources given for further information as there were only about 5-8 supply companies and none other sources listed.
Andy
May 09, 2012 Andy rated it liked it
It was the first beekeeping book I read. Good simple over view, well set up, intro to vocabulary specific to beekeeping. Easy reading.
Jul 13, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
A very interesting and informative book. It makes me want to try beekeeping myself!
Morvite Bilyick
Sep 04, 2013 Morvite Bilyick rated it it was amazing
the book is a complete beekeeping course guide, AMAZING!
Helene
Jun 11, 2011 Helene added it
It's the bees kneessssssss!
Daniels Stephanus
Daniels Stephanus marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Diana Blick
Diana Blick rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Andrej
Andrej marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Peter Burgstaller
Peter Burgstaller is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
Chuck Blum
Chuck Blum rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Texasmochi
Texasmochi rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Ginge
Ginge rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Sarah added it
Mar 07, 2016
Marc Hemmes
Marc Hemmes rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
michelle lockton
michelle lockton rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Annette Amato
Annette Amato rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Mari Jarvis
Mari Jarvis rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015