Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The buzz on beekeeping.

The Complete Idiot's Guide(r) to Beekeeping has all the information a beginning beekeeper needs to know to start a hive and keep it buzzing. Expert beekeepers Dean Stiglitz and Laurie Herboldsheimer, owners of Golden Rule Honey, take readers step by step through the entire process-from information on the inhabitants of a hive and how it works to co
Published May 4th 2010 by Alpha (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping

Doug Orleans
My musician friends Dean and Ramona (aka Laurie) got into beekeeping a few years ago. Then they got REALLY into beekeeping, starting a business selling their honey and honey products (Golden Rule Honey, at Then they got approached to write a book about beekeeping... not just any book, but the Complete Idiot's Guide! Very exciting, and they did a great job.

It's not just an instruction manual: they have a not-so-hidden agenda, which is to promote treatment-free beekeepi
This book is amazing! After reading it I feel totally confident in taking care of my bees. I read through the section about lighting the smoker and installing package bees right before I did mine and everything went totally smoothly. Especially helpful: the tip not to drop the queen cage into the swirling mass of bees. Hahahahaha.

The way the book is broken down makes everything easy to find. You don't have to read through giant paragraph blocks of text to get to the heart of what the authors ar
I've thought about beekeeping for a few years and when I found an old, 1920's honey extractor for sale I bought it. Without bees, of course, it is not much use. I know nothing about beekeeping. Stiglitz's book is a great book for people like me. The book is not just about honey extraction. In fact, most of the book is not about the product of honey, but about the animal itself: the bee.

This book offers the "complete idiot" solid information about natural beekeeping. Based on the premise that bee
In some ways it was more detailed and instructive than other books. The authors are definitely advocating for a natural approach to beekeeping that goes beyond what most small (even organic) beekeepers do. Because of the lack of other resources to consult to implement "their" beekeeping methods, the authors needed to be extra detailed in describing how to implement the techniques they are advocating, such as no treatments, reverting to small cell, and using only local,genetically diverse queens. ...more
A really great book, but mostly if you are in the process of actually getting a hive or needing help troubleshooting any issues. The first third was very great background on bees, and then it seemed to move to "if this happens, here's what you do" which makes it more into a step-by-step manual.
Very well written and easy to understand, though.
A good source of reference for treatment-free beekeeping on any level. I would prefer to have more sources given for further information as there were only about 5-8 supply companies and none other sources listed.
It was the first beekeeping book I read. Good simple over view, well set up, intro to vocabulary specific to beekeeping. Easy reading.
A very interesting and informative book. It makes me want to try beekeeping myself!
Morvite Bilyick
the book is a complete beekeeping course guide, AMAZING!
Jun 11, 2011 Helene added it
It's the bees kneessssssss!
Chloe is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Jack marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Karey marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Anna added it
Sep 22, 2015
Phoebe is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2015
James is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Eng. Bassel
Eng. Bassel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

The Complete Idiot's Guides (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Literature
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Assertiveness
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy (Complete Idiot's Guide to)