The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The buzz on beekeeping.

The Complete Idiot's Guide(r) to Beekeeping has all the information a begin­ning beekeeper needs to know to start a hive and keep it buzzing. Expert beekeepers Dean Stiglitz and Laurie Herboldsheimer, owners of Golden Rule Honey, take readers step by step through the entire process-from information on the inhabitants of a hive and how it works to co...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Alpha (first published 2010)

Doug Orleans
My musician friends Dean and Ramona (aka Laurie) got into beekeeping a few years ago. Then they got REALLY into beekeeping, starting a business selling their honey and honey products (Golden Rule Honey, at http://beeuntoothers.com/). Then they got approached to write a book about beekeeping... not just any book, but the Complete Idiot's Guide! Very exciting, and they did a great job.

It's not just an instruction manual: they have a not-so-hidden agenda, which is to promote treatment-free beekeepi...more
Amber
This book is amazing! After reading it I feel totally confident in taking care of my bees. I read through the section about lighting the smoker and installing package bees right before I did mine and everything went totally smoothly. Especially helpful: the tip not to drop the queen cage into the swirling mass of bees. Hahahahaha.

The way the book is broken down makes everything easy to find. You don't have to read through giant paragraph blocks of text to get to the heart of what the authors ar...more
Mark
I've thought about beekeeping for a few years and when I found an old, 1920's honey extractor for sale I bought it. Without bees, of course, it is not much use. I know nothing about beekeeping. Stiglitz's book is a great book for people like me. The book is not just about honey extraction. In fact, most of the book is not about the product of honey, but about the animal itself: the bee.

This book offers the "complete idiot" solid information about natural beekeeping. Based on the premise that bee...more
Julie
A good source of reference for treatment-free beekeeping on any level. I would prefer to have more sources given for further information as there were only about 5-8 supply companies and none other sources listed.
Andy
It was the first beekeeping book I read. Good simple over view, well set up, intro to vocabulary specific to beekeeping. Easy reading.
A very interesting and informative book. It makes me want to try beekeeping myself!
Morvite Bilyick
the book is a complete beekeeping course guide, AMAZING!
Helene
Jun 11, 2011 Helene added it
It's the bees kneessssssss!
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten is currently reading it
May 17, 2014
David
David added it
Apr 15, 2014
Ash
Ash added it
Feb 16, 2014
Abdumajeed
Abdumajeed marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Victoria
Victoria is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2014
Mary Kay
Mary Kay is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2013