Start by marking “The New York Times Presents Smarter by Sunday: 52 Weekends of Essential Knowledge for the Curious Mind” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A handy, smaller, and more focused version of our popular New York Times knowledge books—organized by weekends and topic

Fell asleep during history class in high school when World War II was covered? Learned the table of elements at one time but have forgotten it since? Always wondered who really invented the World Wide Web? Here is the book for you, with all the answers y
Published October 26th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The New York Times Presents Smarter by Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Times Presents Smarter by Sunday

Lynn

Today’s post is on Smarter by Sunday: 52 Weekends of Essential Knowledge for the Curious Mind by The New York Times. It is 500 pages long including an index. The cover is white with an apple cut into sections on it. The intended reader is someone who is very curious. There is no language, no sex, and no violence in this book. Because of the complex themes teens and adults would get the most out of this book. The chapters are told in third person. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Fel
Janene
Mar 11, 2011 Janene is currently reading it
So far, so good. I've only read the first few pages so far, but how nice to have Homer's "Iliad" summed up in three pages! I'll be brilliant by the time I finish this book -- or at least, I'll be rockin' Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy.
Molly Jean
I would give this 2.5 stars...I enjoyed a lot of it and the chapters were a manageable size for what it is attempting to do. But I was disappointed in the errors I found sprinkled throughout the book. I doubt they were errors in research, but were more likely the result of sloppy, careless or non-existent editing which is an all-too-common problem these days. None of the errors were earth shattering (except for maybe the location of Buddy Holly's death) but if someone like me can catch some mist ...more
Elaine B
I read only the first few chapters. I was disturbed and amazed by the number of factual errors. You would think the New York Times would be able to afford a fact checker. You would think the editor would have caught these simple errors. For example, Buddy Holly did not die in Wisconsin, General George Pickett did not lead Pickett's Charge. These and other errors made me wonder how many I missed, so I gave up on the book. Maybe a future edition will include better fact checking/editing.
Anna
Still working on this one! Some weeks are harder than others to read...classical music weekend was a tough one for me, but this week is the computer revolution-hoping that it will be really good. My favorite so far was the weekend of Ancient Egypt.

Officially given up on this one...some chapters were ok, while others were a complete bore.
Jan
Didn't finish - what I read was OK but it's not the kind of book I can read quickly - if I owned it instead of checking it out of the library I would have kept reading.
Delene H. Allen
Wow! I actually do feel smarter. The red ribbon book marker was a nice touch for this book that has stayed on my nightstand for 52 weekends.
Doug Reith
Fascinating. Little short reads on topics I learned a long time ago in school, but completely forgot.
Morgan Bresko
Didn't quite finish the whole thing, more of a work in progress. :) Fun to check out though.
Joyce Dickerson
Jan 03, 2013 Joyce Dickerson is currently reading it
Reading this with JHW each week in this new year....we'll see how we do.
Mysteryfan
Loved it. Smartly-chosen topics and all the essential information
Daisy
Sep 27, 2012 Daisy added it
Shelves: history, non-fiction

Incredibly American centric but good summaries.
Sherry
I learned a lot reading a chapter a week.
Dick Brautigan
i love this book....great reading ........
Laura Pattee
informative and entertaining.
Stacy
Feb 03, 2011 Stacy is currently reading it
Extremely detailed and very interesting. You really can't get through a chapter in one sitting unless you are already more than familiar with the subject.
Becca Mckenna
Becca Mckenna marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
James
James added it
Feb 23, 2015
Mary Falkner
Mary Falkner is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2015
Silverinjuly
Silverinjuly marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Ashley H
Ashley H marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
玉 黒い猫
玉 黒い猫 marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Clare Geiger
Clare Geiger marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Annelies Faes
Annelies Faes marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Claude
Claude marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Rina
Rina marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Leanne O'Dell
Leanne O'Dell marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
  • Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids
  • The Classics: All You Need to Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome
  • The Bedside Baccalaureate: A Handy Daily Cerebral Primer to Fill in the Gaps, Refresh Your Knowledge & Impress Yourself & Other Intellectuals
  • Sorry!: The English and Their Manners
  • Samurai Deeper Kyo, Volume 27 (Samurai Deeper Kyo)
  • Blue River
  • Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more
  • Dark Invasion: 1915: Germany's Secret War and the Hunt for the First Terrorist Cell in America
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers: 101 Motivational Stories for Writers – Budding or Bestselling – from Books to Blogs
  • The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said
  • Yiddish with Dick and Jane
  • Secret Lives of Great Authors: What Your Teachers Never Told You about Famous Novelists, Poets, and Playwrights
  • The Family Orchard: A Novel
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • The Peculiar Case of the Electric Constable: A True Tale of Passion, Poison and Pursuit
  • Mrs. Caliban
  • Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk: Growing Up in Polygamy
  • History Decoded
The New York Times is a daily newspaper published in New York City and distributed internationally. Founded in 1851, the newspaper has won 112 Pulitzer Prizes, more than any other news organization. Its website receives 30 million unique visitors per month.
More about The New York Times...
Class Matters Writers on Writing: Collected Essays from The New York Times The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind Four Days in November: The Original Coverage of the John F. Kennedy Assassination Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times