Start by marking “The People’s Manifesto” as Want to Read:
The People’s Manifesto

The People’s Manifesto

Mark Thomas has been touring the UK for months, getting audiences to come up with policies aimed at sorting out the country's political chaos and taking back the power for the people. Sick to death of bailing out bankers and subsidizing MPs homes, the audience vote on the best policy of the night to be included in the brand new People's Manifesto. From the inspiring to the ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Ebury Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The People’s Manifesto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People’s Manifesto

MJ Nicholls
Feb 26, 2012 MJ Nicholls rated it liked it
Amusing and sometimes serious proposals for a political manifesto, taken from the Radio 4 show of the same name. The latest series is running now (as of Feb 26 2012) on Radio 4 for those of British domicile. Some suggestions (from the book):

— Shut tax havens down . . . bomb Switzerland
— Models should be chosen at random from the electoral roll
— Legalise all drugs
— There should be a maximum wage
— Everyone should be given the day off on their birthday
— The Daily Mail should be forced to print ‘Th
Terry Clague
Jun 28, 2013 Terry Clague rated it really liked it
Despite never managing to catch the radio show on which this slim book is based, I enjoyed it very much indeed (thanks Russ!). In some ways, it's of a kind alongside such enjoyable Christmas-gift-fayre such as "Is It Just Me, Or Is Everything Shit?" - the LRB review of which I have directed countless email braggers towards.

The author travelled the country, taking suggestions for new political policies and then discussed those which were most amusing. Since humour usually involves an element of a
Kate
Sep 03, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
This is a short, funny manifesto that concludes the end of the comedian's tour. Mark Thomas held several shows up and down the country where the audience would suggest new policies and then vote on the best one. Often funny and mostly seeming reasonable, this short book makes politics accessible to all and is also startling as Thomas backs up his claims with research and hard facts that cannot be ignored.
Mark
Aug 17, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, humour
Mark Thomas presents the results of audience discussions from his recent tour. It is a collection of pledges for a manifesto “the people” have asked for. The proposals range from the sublime to the ridiculous but I discovered there was only one in the whole book I fundamentally disagreed with, the rest, if occasionally humour based, have much merit such as making MPs wear the logos of the companies they have extra-parliamentary interests with, and the Daily Mail should have the words “The ...more
This was an enjoyable little read. I think I'd heard some of this live on the radio but it bore translation into print (even e-print) I like my politics thoughtful rather than polemic so there was always a risk that I'd take it all a bit too seriously to find enough of it funny and find it rather hackneyed 'humour'. Which happened only once.

It was interesting to see what came up, from the standard fare of Private Members' Bills and the expected largely legitimate politician and banker bashing ot
Olly
Jul 21, 2010 Olly rated it really liked it
"Noel Edmunds should be publically beheaded and his severed head placed in one of 22 sealed red boxes"
Darren
Dec 15, 2012 Darren rated it really liked it
Mark is a comedian that people tend to either love or hate depending on their own political leanings, but this is/was nonetheless a fascinating idea.

He pledged to stand for election on a manifesto chosen by his audiences during a stand up tour. Each night suggestions would be put forward by the crowd, at the end of the night one of which would be voted into the people's manifesto.

This lead to party policies such as "all drivers of 4x4 vehicles must volunteer with their nearest mountain rescue
Rob Kitchin
Aug 01, 2012 Rob Kitchin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book that after a brief introduction simply lists out the forty policies, each with a one to four page summary of the rationale for its inclusion in the People’s Manifesto. Like his stage act, Thomas blends serious argument with humour to make each case, and I laughed several times as I worked my way through. Whilst I was lukewarm to many of the proposed policies there were some that I think are worth exploring in more detail. My major gripe is that the book is too short. Much, ...more
Sean
Aug 12, 2010 Sean rated it liked it
Shelves: socio-cultural
I like Mark Thomas, the British Socialist (with a big capital "S") activist/comedian. He cuts to the heart of what he percieves to be wrong with current British politics.

His idea for this book was to go around and ask 'the great unwashed' what sort of governmental changes they would like, then publish them.

Lots of the suggestions I found quite sensible and funny, too. I dunno, though - I suppose I was hoping for more radical, anarchic ideas. I suppose Thomas's dyed-in-the-wool Socialist tendenci
Alison
Dec 17, 2013 Alison rated it liked it
I particularly like:
Models should be chosen at random from the electoral roll

If MPs want a second job to gain a greater understanding of life outside government, then their constituents should choose which job they think would best expand their MPs horizons

To Randomly arm OAPs with guns - Meals on Wheels, you better up your game: someone wants venison with a cranberry & port reduction - give it them or a leaden death will come at you from under a tartan travel rug quicker than you can say 'b
Nurture Waratah
Apr 18, 2011 Nurture Waratah rated it liked it
An interesting little book with some intriguing ideas. Some would be good to see implemented (To introduce 'None of the above' on ballot papers); some are practical (We should adopt an opt-out system for organ donations); some are fun (Everyone should be entitled to phone in work one day a month and claim a 'fuck it' day off); others are just plain confusing (Goats are to be released on to the floor of the house of commons {no more than four}; MPs are forbidden from referring to them ever). This ...more
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Despite being very funny in places this book posseses something in almost every chapter that every politcian seems not to hold - common sense. Every MP should be made to have a copy of this book on them at all times (and it is a very handy pocket size) and whenever they need to make a professional decision should consult this "manifesto" so thay can atleast get a small idea of what the people they "represent" would want to gain out of their decision and the possible consequences it may have on ...more
Annie
Apr 06, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it
I've been strongly advised to utilise policy No. 27; "To create 'fuck it days' where people are legally allowed once a month to phone in work and say they can't be arsed to come."

A humourously provocative poke at the general distance between democracy and reality. Paul Weller said from the top of the red wedge: "The public wants what the public gets" --

Not in this case.

See- http://www.markthomasinfo.com/policie...
Peter
Jan 03, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
Very short book by the comedian Mark Thomas. Loved his TV work in the past and have enjoyed reading this book. Although it was too short it has made me want to read more of his books. The manifesto consists of policies suggested by the audience from Mark Thomas' tour in 2009. Particularly enjoyed No. 3 "Models should be chosen at random from the electoral roll". An easier and funnier read than Mr Marx's manifesto!
Marion Grace Woolley
Jan 12, 2012 Marion Grace Woolley rated it really liked it
The People's Manifesto by Mark Thomas is just the perfect antidote to all the political twaddle going round at the moment. It's based on a set of public consultations he did across the country. More of my review here, including a video of him doing stand up about it: http://bit.ly/tQpZf6

Short, and very sweet.
Russio
Jan 02, 2012 Russio rated it really liked it
Very funny and full of useful ammunition and amusement. MT has the ability to stop you driving off the cliff by exposing the absurd comedy of modern British politics. A light read based on a radio show of the same name but one that contains a laugh a page as well as a handful of policies which make you think, "well, why not?" If Mark was an MP there would be some great early-day motions.
Heli
Nov 16, 2015 Heli rated it it was ok
The people's Manifesto is a piece of entertainment offering semi-serious proposals. Some of them I would appreciate though (most of those concerned with MPs (; ). Still this book is not my cup of tea...
Phillip Goodman
one of the things i most like about mark thomas is his ability to be both incredibly funny and seriously political and incisive, so far this book is very funny, but not as serious as i was hoping for, none the less there are lot of good ideas here and overal the idea is a good one.
anne
Dec 09, 2015 anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me laugh out loud

Really enjoyed this book and it made me optimistic knowing there are more of us out there who see the establishment in all its bloated selfish lacking in moral compass capacity
Steve Mitchell
Aug 01, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it it was amazing
What happens when you allow the audience of a comedy show to dictate what should be adopted as government policy? You end up with a hilarious collection of policies; some of which actually make a great deal of sense. A must read: brilliant!
Nicci
Aug 12, 2011 Nicci rated it it was amazing
LOVED the show that accompanied this book. He makes politics interesting for anyone. Find it hilarious that some politicians call him a nuisance etc....most of the public share his views!! What does that say about the MPs opinion of us?! Can he please be out next PM?!!
Troyka
May 11, 2014 Troyka rated it it was amazing
reading this will make you laugh out loud. some seriously funny and deeply serious things.. well worth the time.
Carmilla Voiez
Apr 11, 2014 Carmilla Voiez rated it it was amazing
Hilarious satire mixed with brilliantly sensible proposals. A short and entertaining read when you need to feel better about the world.
Aug 15, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
This book was a fun short read, however I expected it to be more funny than factual and the policy suggestion that children shouldn't be allowed to practise religion really pissed me off.
Tasha
Sep 16, 2011 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Very witty. Putting politics into an understandable format for everyone. Went to the show in London that helped put forward some of these policy suggestions.
Chris
Jan 20, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Good short read. Very funny in parts. Funny concept that the Socialist author makes money on other people's work!
Dave Pitt
Sep 13, 2016 Dave Pitt rated it really liked it
It's a good book which had me laughing out loud on several occasions but it is short. You'll finish this is one sitting with ease.
Micah King
Micah King rated it did not like it
May 08, 2016
David Sigerson
David Sigerson rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
O
O rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
  • What’s Going On?: The Meanderings of a Comic Mind in Confusion
  • The People: The Rise and Fall of the Working Class, 1910-2010
  • How to Win a Fight with a Conservative
  • American Political Parties and Elections: A Very Short Introduction
  • Tear Down This Myth: How the Reagan Legacy Has Distorted Our Politics and Haunts Our Future
  • F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare
  • The New Rulers of the World
  • The Third Man: Life at the Heart of New Labour
  • Chocolate And Cuckoo Clocks: The Essential Alan Coren
  • Answer Me!
  • Don't Vote, it Just Encourages the Bastards
  • Adventures In A Tv Nation
  • The Fountain at the Center of the World
  • And the Weak Suffer What They Must?: Europe's Crisis and America's Economic Future
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest To Uncover The Books That Time Forgot
  • We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • Who Runs Britain?: and Who's to Blame for the Economic Mess We're In
Mark Clifford Thomas (born 11 April 1963) is an English comedian, presenter, political activist and reporter from south London. He first became known as a guest comic on the BBC Radio 1 comedy show The Mary Whitehouse Experience in the late 1980s. He is best known for political stunts on his show, The Mark Thomas Comedy Product on Channel 4. Thomas describes himself as a "libertarian anarchist."
More about Mark Thomas...