Start by marking “El silencio de los corderos” as Want to Read:
El silencio de los corderos

El silencio de los corderos (Hannibal Lecter #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  298,175 ratings  ·  2,639 reviews
A serial murderer known only by a grotesquely apt nickname-Buffalo Bill-is stalking women. He has a purpose, but no one can fathom it, for the bodies are discovered in different states. Clarice Starling, a young trainee at the FBI Academy, is surprised to be summoned by Jack Crawford, chief of the Bureau's Behavioral Science section. Her assignment: to interview Dr. Hannib
Published September 1st 1993 by Hector Santiago (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about El silencio de los corderos, please sign up.

Emmy I read Silence of the Lambs before I read Red Dragon, and I didn't have any problems. I'm rereading Silence and have been finding little references to…moreI read Silence of the Lambs before I read Red Dragon, and I didn't have any problems. I'm rereading Silence and have been finding little references to Red Dragon that I had not picked up on the first time. Usually, I say you should read books in order, but at least for these two, it doesn't really matter.(less)

Stephen
CONTENT ANNOUNCEMENT: Out of respect for Thomas Harris’s superb novel, I have decided that no pictures of ANTHONY HOPKINS will appear in this review. Thank you for your understanding.

4.0 to 4.5 stars. Another one of those terrific situations where I saw the movie first (and loved it) and then eventually decided to read the book... and loved it too. Score!!! Now assuming that most people not suffering from the after-effects of severe head trauma know the basic plot concerning FBI trainee “Hello..
Martine
Call me a freak, but I have a bit of a crush on Hannibal Lecter. He may be the scariest fuck out there (certainly scarier than the supposed monster of the book, Buffalo Bill), but he just oozes style and knowledge. In fact, he has so much style and knowledge that he doesn't come off as a ridiculous prick when he says things like, 'A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone'* or 'Can you smell his sweat? That peculiar goatish odour is trans-3- ...more
Lou
Photobucket
I need to get round reading this, whats put me off is that the movie has been played on the TV so many times now Clarice and Lecter are quite vivid in my mind. I am sure the book has lot more to offer as Harris is one of my high ranking thriller writers.
Some trivia on the movie...
Like "Casablanca", this movie contains a famous misquoted line: most people quote Lecter's famous "Good evening, Clarice" as "Hello, Clarice." This is not a misquote from the first movie but an actual quote from the se
Lightreads
I'm assuming this book was once shocking and groundbreaking. And okay, yes, eww with the eating people and the skinning. But also? Shut the fuck up, Thomas Harris. There are few things more obnoxious than a male author with a hard-on for his female protagonist. Worth reading for Hannibal the Cannibal, because I dig that abnormal psychology stuff, but did I mention the objectification? The sexism? The way the reader is never allowed to forget
about gender? How every male she meets falls for the he
K.D. Absolutely
I can smell your cunt!

Imagine if you are a woman and you are alone walking in a dark hallway of a solitary confinement in a hospital for criminally insane. You are about to meet a serial killer who eats his victims' brain, sweetbreads, liver, etc. Then after meeting that killer, you hear that same man again saying I sliced my wrist so I can bleed, watch me die! and you feel splatters of liquid on your face that you thought to be blood, only to realize that it is semen.

I saw the book's movie ad
Willow
OMG I loved this book! What is wrong with me? Lol

I really did though. What can I say? Yes, it’s grim and grisly. Harris likes to go into creepy detail about skinning people, disturbing bugs, and the ickiness of finding a severed head in a jar. It’s not gore galore though. It more disturbing than a gross, and that’s why I liked it. Buffalo Bill is making this gruesome outfit and he thinks about it like he’s some kind of runway designer. It’s kind of oddly and darkly funny.

I had forgotten a lot of
Anushka
MUST READ.
MUST READ.
MUST FREAKIN' READ.

This book blew my brains away!
Even though I had seen the movie long back before reading the book, it still got to me. I loved it. If there is someone in this world who loves horror/thriller and hasn't read it yet should first, smack them self on the head and then go to their nearest bookstore or order this book online and start reading it the minute they get it. Totally worth it.

A-M-A-ZZZZ-I-N-G.

I'm out of words, just...just read it, guys!

5 Stars!
Jonathan
One of the best thrillers I've ever read, perhaps the best. This book is exceptionally written and maintains suspense throughout its 400 pages.

There are many reasons why this book is so good:

1. You have two villains, instead of the usual one. Both are intriguing, frightening, inhuman.

2. Hannibal Lecter is one of the greatest villains ever created. The talks he has with the protagonist are mesmerizing.

3. Clarice Starling is a great hero, troubled and flawed, but not in any cliche manner.

4. No lov
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen
Oct 15, 2014 Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen by: Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Being that this is an older, ridiculously famous book, it doesn't need a review. Especially not from little ole me. This book was part of my challenge my comfort zone list.

I will say that I found it very interesting that it is on both the "The BOOK was better than the MOVIE" and "The MOVIE was better than the BOOK" lists.

I don't know that I preferred either/or...it was kind of cool to read a book and have faint images of the movie in my head as well. I really enjoyed the psychological aspects
Franco  Santos
Buen libro. En algunos momentos se me hizo un poco pesado, en especial en el inicio, sin embargo, a medida que las páginas pasaban la historia se tornaba más amena y entretenida.

El personaje de Hannibal Lecter es una de las creaciones más interesantes y brillantes de la literatura. Es, creo yo, el mayor atractivo de la novela. Aun así, me hubiera gustado que Harris se centre más en Lecter; en las partes en las que él tenía protagonismo mi atención estaba inherente al relato.
Srividya
What can I say about this book that hasn't been already said! I believe I am one of those last ones to have read this book. And before anyone asks, No - I haven't seen the film either! Although, I have been told, multiple times by everyone close to me, including my husband that I should watch it for Sir Anthony Hopkins. Well, maybe another day, when I am not so chicken about watching movies in this genre.

Coming back to the book - it was perfection in complete! I couldn't find fault with it and n
Raeden Zen
Addictive, Disgusting, Brilliant Suspense Thriller

The Silence of the Lambs tells the story of FBI student Clarice Starling and her work with Jack Crawford, the head of Behavioral Science, the FBI division that deals with serial murder, to find serial killer "Buffalo Bill." He sends her on what seems a harmless errand, to present a questionnaire to one Dr. Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter, and with this the chase for Buffalo Bill is on. The conflict and themes are varied, the dialogue is genuine, t
Mike (the Paladin)
A creep fest or gore fest that I read some time ago. I was into "audio books" in my work vehicle at the time, listening to books between jobs and on my commute rather than the radio....I listened to this book. Was I crazy or something?

I've never read anything else by Harris. My wife was the "horror" fan (and no matter what genre this book gets placed in officially it really belongs with horror). She "read, Red Dragon" (read that out loud and it sounds a bit odd...."read Red"? Oh well just a whim
Johann Coetzer
Ok here we go with a decent review.

I have seen the movie itself quite a few times, mostly because of Anthony Hopkins and it is a very good movie to watch.
Now the book, the book was first published in 1988 and the movie did stay quite true to the book and that does not happen quite often.
If you have seen the movie and most have you will not miss much by not reading the book.
The book does fill in a few holes that is in the movie but they are so minute.

This book is a really good read, if you can re
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
Another re-read of Silence of the Lambs, this time my favorite. Maybe it's because I'm more into the story and read them in the order of sequence and not popularity, I'm not sure, but this time around I found it even more fascinating than the first meet.

Clarice is a likeable character. Her background melding with who she wants to be is an admirable one. She's given the chance of a lifetime, handed out by a man she admires, to step her foot firmly into the FBI. Without meaning to, she's sucked in
Shanon
I read this book so long ago but I remember that I have never been more scared while reading a book. I even made my dog sleep in the bed with me (a very bad habit to start)
Samaya Young
The Silence of the Lambs

I found myself a little disappointed when reading this much spoken of story, of which I enjoyed the motion picture. This usually isn’t the case. In the past when, reading the true origin of a movie, The Book, it tended to add to the experience, and at times be even better.
Regretfully this wasn’t the case with this particular novel. I found the writing style lacking a flow that would have allowed me to be swept along with the story, and that is a terrible pity; so many pro
Linda
Because of her knowledge in psychiatry, Starling, a young FBI trainee, seeks the advice of a former serial killer and cannibal, he sinister Dr Hannibal Lecter, in the pursuit of a murderer on a sick and peculiar killing spree.

Harris gives the reader an interesting insight into the human psyche, from the murderer's perspective - his view of other people as items, crops to be harvested. The villains aren't just bad, they are horrible monsters. But at the same time, as in real life, there's an expl
C.L. Bevill
Honestly, I read this what, twenty years ago. It was way before the movie. I think it's Thomas Harris' opus because it still rocks twenty years later. Clarice is struggling with her entry into FbI-dom. She wants to do the right thing. Jack Crawford throws her at Hannibal Lecter and well, let's just say that you may never want to visit a psychiatrist, just in case. Seriously, Thomas Harris must have taken a criminal investigator's bath to write this. Wonderfully suspenseful. Definitely creepy. (I ...more
Priscilla
Fast-paced, gripping read!

Initial thoughts:
1. I love the heavy dialogue, especially between Clarice and Hannibal. The interaction between these two characters was intense.
2. Clarice is a great, strong female character. She doesn't waver in the face of fear.
3. Ugh, Buffalo Bill was INSANELY creepy! I love it!
4. Love the end. Definitely a thrill!
5. The story played like a movie in my mind. The writing is clear, and distinct.

Check out my video review here!
Elisa
Thomas Harris è uno dei migliori narratori che io conosca e con questo libro l'ha confermato ancora una volta. Ho passato due-tre giorni di intensa lettura senza riuscire a staccarmi dal libro, lo stile è semplice e coinvolgente ma comunque curato e attento ai dettagli.
Tuttavia ho preferito Drago Rosso e il motivo principale sono i personaggi.
Ho sentito moltissimo la mancanza di Will Graham. So che tutti amano Clarice e anche io l'ho presa in simpatia, ma è troppo perfetta. Clarice non commette
Rubi
Algunos critican la forma de escribir de Thomas Harris, pero a mí me parece genial. Sí, mezcla muchísimo todos los tiempos verbales imaginables, en la misma página e incluso dentro del mismo párrafo, pero el resultado me parece formidable.
También me gusta que dé más importancia a los pensamientos de los personajes que a la caracterización de los espacios. Además, incluye las descripciones de una manera magistral, casi cuando no te las esperas.
Respecto a los personajes, ¿qué decir? Pues que son e
Jim Peterson
Yet another great book I should have read a long, long time ago. I can say so many good things about this book. Excellent characterization, perfect pacing, and really, really exciting. There was also some interesting researched details that gave some added interest value.

At first I thought I preferred the killer in the first book in the series, Red Dragon. I really think Dolarhyde was a fantastically complex character, but as soon as Buffalo Bill said, “It washes itself or it gets the hose,” my
Alexandra Sokoloff
I just started and abandoned another one of those serial killer novels. I don’t usually read serial killer novels, even though I am sort of writing a serial killer series. But really it’s more like an anti- serial killer series.

However, The Silence of the Lambs is one of my all-time favorite books and movies. I teach it in my film classes, I analyze it in my workshops and workbooks. It and Red Dragon are the platinum standard of serial killer novels and probably the reason that I ever pick up a
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"I collect church collapses, recreationally. Did you see the recent one in Sicily? Marvelous! The façade fell on sixty-five grandmothers at a special mass. Was that evil? If so, who did it? If He's up there, He just loves it. Typhoid and swans-it all comes from the same place."

Everyone has heard the name Hannibal Lecter. Brilliant Psychiatrist. Charming aristocrat. Eater of Men. And yet despite the heinous crimes that he is imprisoned for, many agencies still seek his help in solving particularl
Lydia
This was actually really good. Way better than Red Dragon, which was kind of not that gripping at all. It helped that Clarice Starling is an utter babeee and also the fact that she has a close female friend and they both help each other out is obviously amazing because ladies helpng other ladies will always be my favourite thing.
But yeah, this was a pretty darn enjoyable read, which makes me happy because the Hopkins version of this film is one of the best films to ever have existed ever.
Vee Paige
*4.5*

Fantastic and freaky. I did not know that Lecter and Dollarhyde (Red Dragon) were based on real people. How I can actually root for Hannibal Lecter is disturbing but speaks for his complex characterization. Why 4.5? Believe me it could be easily a 5 star, which was why I had no problem rounding it up in my rating. The amazing portrayal of Hannibal Lecter and Clarise Starling by Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster respectively made the movie more riveting for me. I might add that Anthony Hopkin
Rade
This was one hell of a ride. From story, to pacing, to characters, everything was great. Every scene seemed important and there was no useless ramblings that did not go anywhere. The movie was great too. I highly recommend this book to everyone!
Yona
There were quite a few annoying characters in this one and i kind of started to like Lecter a bit too much.
awesomatik.com

Seit nunmehr 33 Jahren treibt der kannibalistische Serienmörder Dr. Hannibal Lecter sein Unwesen in Romanen, in Filmen und im Fernsehen.

Seinen ersten Auftritt hatte er in Thomas Harris' "Roter Drache" im Jahre 1981. Seit dem mordete er sich blutrünstig mit gleichbleibender Leidenschaft in die Herzen der Leser und Zuschauer. Er ist damit wohl einer der beliebtesten Psychopathen der jüngeren Popkultur. Quasi der James Bond des Bösen...

Mir persönlich hat er in jungen Jahren einige schlaflose Nächte
Do you like Clarice Starling ? (from book) 13 98 May 10, 2015 02:39PM
Will there be another Hannibal book? 40 568 Mar 27, 2015 08:33AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris 5 13 Mar 22, 2015 01:48PM
Fannibals: The Silence of the Lambs 1 4 Sep 13, 2014 11:56AM
The Presence of Male Chauvinism 5 152 Aug 16, 2014 08:13AM
  • Selected Essays from: How to be Alone
  • A Simple Plan
  • A Stir of Echoes
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • A Place of Greater Safety
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • The Exorcist
  • The Shining (The Shining, #1)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Throat
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Bad Men
  • Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Primal Fear
  • Falling Angel
  • The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)
Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3) Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4) Black Sunday Red Dragon And Silence Of The Lambs

“When the Fox hears the Rabbit scream he comes a-runnin', but not to help.” 281 likes
“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti” 192 likes